Pulling before the tank.

Jicydd

A long time ago, even before Makeb came out the first toon I rolled was a Marauder, and oh boy did I learn quickly how to become a Maratard.

After a couple flashpoints I learned about the trinity system, and how the tank is supposed to pull first, and how I as a dps should kill the weaker mobs first, and I did. After a couple months I decided to try tanking myself, and it was fun to know that you were "needed" back in the day. I enjoyed grouping and LOS'ing the mobs.

Operations, and HardMode flashpoints is where a tank is needed, and some hard veteran flashpoints like Umbara for example. The easy veteran not so much.

I qued up and joined a HM Mando raiders flashpoint. I't consisted of me (sin tank) op dps, mm sniper, and sorc healer. The sniper pulled the 2 dogs and mobs, as the other mobs from the elevator down the hall came out. I didn't ***** I just aoe taunt and did my thing. He did it again before the first boss, and I asked to stop, but he didn't reply, although he did stop up until we got right before the long hall with the 2 gold droids that go back and forth before the 2nd boss.

I wasn't going slow btw, I was going quick, but waited at the same time for everyone to catch up so we could attack the mobs. I didn't wanna be that tank that would chain pull and not wait for anyone. I say this because as you know it can be somewhat annoying when some tanks go slow. Anyways, when he pulled the final time I just stealthed out, pressed U, traveled to my SH and then left the group.

I personally believe that being a tank now, does not even come close to what is was like being a tank before Makeb rolled out. I don't feel "needed" anywhere close to the way it used to be. I will also go as far as saying that even in some SM operations you don't even need a tank to tank certain bosses, because some geared and skilled dps can tank ceratin bosses like Firebrand in EC ( I think that's its name). I know this because I tanked that boss on my sniper dps two times without even dropping below 50% hp.

So whats the incentive of being a tank when you don't feel as needed as you used to? For example some healers absolutely hate when someone uses a kolto station in vet's, because it would make them useless right? So if you have dps that can tank SM and possibly even some HM operation bosses, as well as most Vet flashpoints and some HM flashpoints, we "tanks" feel useless.

I'm sorry about the wall of text, the grammar, and my rant. I dont post much at all but ffs devs, do something about it. Give us "tanks" more of a reason to play, because we are becoming more and more useless:mad:.

If I'm tanking or healing and a dps pulls first. I ask them to stop and let myself or the tank pull. If the dps pulls again, I initiate the 'kick from group', without hesitation. I have done what you've done in the past and just bail from the group in frustration, now, they get removed and put on ignore. One less tank or heals for them and back to the queue! :D

Tanks are needed, don't let someone else's game play deter you from tanking.

Edited by Pirana

Heh heh heh....

A couple of (maybe 10's of thousands) of deaths will teach invaluable lessons.

Oh, and the healers I run with, or when I am healing, wont heal them; quickly hastening their demise, and frequently their rage quit from the op.

So you are not alone.

You can guard and intercede/translocate or w/e to reduce someone else's threat. DPS tend to learn to let the tank pull first after healers yell at them for cleaving the raid because someone who shouldn't pull the boss, did. Don't sweat it.

Anyway, if DPS want aggro so bad, I say let them have it. If they can handle it, great. If not, point and laugh after they faceplant. Your job is to protect people from the enemy, not from their own stupidity.

Then again, I'm the kind of tank that "chain pulls" so YMMV.

Edited by Unperson

I main a marauder, and I love the tanks. I can occasionally pull aggro from them (257 gear and high damage moves will do that). Every role has a lot of value. My job is to kill stuff. Tanks job is to keep the boss mad so I can do that. I hit like a truck, but crumple like paper if they get a chance to hit me back. Some players get cocky. I'd stop taunting and let them get killed a couple of times. You're kicking technique is good, too :D

I started as a main tank (jug) but now I play mostly dps. I still have my tanks and occasionally plays those but I don't usually make noise about when dps pulls cr@p. My silent treatment is to let them suffer for being a rushing pin cushion. But in vet mode you really don't need much tanking anyway except some places. Master mode, though completely different thing. Usually rushy dps dies.

I always respect the tanks and healers, both roles are challenging and stressful, which means there have been some that have been so arrogant and smug that they expect special treatment and be treated like royalty and since tanks and healers are so hard to find when queuing for a dungeon, they tend to get what they want.

There are those that are decent people, but from my experience, they are few and far between.

I can occasionally pull aggro from them

I just let tanks do a rotation first, before I start doing the DPS thing and make sure I use my aggro drop frequently. There's nothing worse than making your tank and healers job harder than it needs to be, for the sake of a bit of patience. That and I don't really want to run around kiting mobs as a DPS, it detracts from my role. :p

I'm a hardcore maratankhealer. But I don't pull more than I don't think I can handle without immediate tank/healer intervention. And that's what I expect from other DPS as well if I'm playing tank or heals myself. I'm really not that bothered about dps pulls as long as they're not ridiculous, like pulling multiple mobs that require separation.

If I tank, I let dps pull when I'm tanking if they want to, I trust they want to use a reflect for extra dps and not immediately die if I dont taunt but naturally build more aggro. If they pull and die because I'm too far away to back them up, their fault they should have payed more attention.

If they corner pull, that's them making my job easier! Do it!

When healing I'm not that bothered either, I can catch up and heal everyone as long as they have enough sense to keep close to eachothers so I can aoe heal most of it. The only thing I ask is, if you pull but then DONT make sure to hit everything and gain aggro hence making everything attack me instead because healing generates aggro as well, well you're just a dumb and I'll heal myself before you, feel free to die.

Edited by Kiesu

A long time ago, even before Makeb came out the first toon I rolled was a Marauder, and oh boy did I learn quickly how to become a Maratard.

After a couple flashpoints I learned about the trinity system, and how the tank is supposed to pull first, and how I as a dps should kill the weaker mobs first, and I did. After a couple months I decided to try tanking myself, and it was fun to know that you were "needed" back in the day. I enjoyed grouping and LOS'ing the mobs.

Operations, and HardMode flashpoints is where a tank is needed, and some hard veteran flashpoints like Umbara for example. The easy veteran not so much.

I qued up and joined a HM Mando raiders flashpoint. I't consisted of me (sin tank) op dps, mm sniper, and sorc healer. The sniper pulled the 2 dogs and mobs, as the other mobs from the elevator down the hall came out. I didn't ***** I just aoe taunt and did my thing. He did it again before the first boss, and I asked to stop, but he didn't reply, although he did stop up until we got right before the long hall with the 2 gold droids that go back and forth before the 2nd boss.

I wasn't going slow btw, I was going quick, but waited at the same time for everyone to catch up so we could attack the mobs. I didn't wanna be that tank that would chain pull and not wait for anyone. I say this because as you know it can be somewhat annoying when some tanks go slow. Anyways, when he pulled the final time I just stealthed out, pressed U, traveled to my SH and then left the group.

I personally believe that being a tank now, does not even come close to what is was like being a tank before Makeb rolled out. I don't feel "needed" anywhere close to the way it used to be. I will also go as far as saying that even in some SM operations you don't even need a tank to tank certain bosses, because some geared and skilled dps can tank ceratin bosses like Firebrand in EC ( I think that's its name). I know this because I tanked that boss on my sniper dps two times without even dropping below 50% hp.

So whats the incentive of being a tank when you don't feel as needed as you used to? For example some healers absolutely hate when someone uses a kolto station in vet's, because it would make them useless right? So if you have dps that can tank SM and possibly even some HM operation bosses, as well as most Vet flashpoints and some HM flashpoints, we "tanks" feel useless.

I'm sorry about the wall of text, the grammar, and my rant. I dont post much at all but ffs devs, do something about it. Give us "tanks" more of a reason to play, because we are becoming more and more useless:mad:.

honestly, tanks r overrated, in fps and SM ops... u take so little damage, ur HP prolly wont fall under 90% most of the time so quite frankly as a healer in MM fps id prefer 3 dps to actually make it interesting to heal, but that cant happen so i make healers suffer instead by DPS tanking on a PT (did almost all FPS successfully like that by the by)

this of course will change with 6.0 and new gear

PVP (arenas especially) and hardmare ops r where tanks really shine

as for pulling b4 tank, let them if they know what they r doing they will live, if not they will die, no big loss for u... if im actually tanking, i set a pace that i like (usually blazing fast) so nobody gets to pull b4 me anyway

sometimes DPS just do weird things that make no sense, thats what the vote kick is for, they r a dime a dozen

Best part of this is watching the tank lean against the wall after the DPS pulls. Classic.

My guildies are pretty good about form, thankfully (tank out front, pulls first, healers and DPS know how to drop aggro).

And for healers (I mostly play healers, and I can SO relate to this.):

Edited by xordevoreaux

I used to tank a lot of MM flashpoints, but got tired of being used as nothing but a queue filler. Since I recently started finishing some cheevos, I had to start tanking them again (as I don't have the patience to wait for a pop as a dps).

Sometimes I get lucky, and join a group where dps actually let's me pull, we finish things fast and clean. But mostly that doesn't happen. Most of the ninja pulling dps are also too stupid to even understand when corner pull would get the trash killed fast and efficiently, so finishing a simple flashpoint takes forever. Then again, I never taunt when a dps pulls without asking. Never. I might attack some weaker mob, like a healing NPC, because they seem to be the last target anyone pays attention to. Or just start harvesting if there's bodies to harvest. The rest of the group will have to work harder but that's their choice.

Anyhow, if there is a ninja puller in the group I usually ask them once to let the tank pull (I actually ask that also when I'm healing), and if someone still does it after I ask them to stop doing it, I will initiate a vote kick. If that doesn't go through, I'll leave and add all the people in the group on my ignore list, on all of my tank alts. Why all? Because it only takes two votes to kick someone, and if nobody in the group backs me up when I want to keep my role in the group, I'm not gonna group up with them again. I have a right to have fun in the game too, and not be used as a mandatory queue filler.

So guys, next time you (all players in general, not the OP) are looking for a tank for a MM FP or ops, ask yourself: why there's never a tank around when you need one. Weird, huh?

Best part of this is watching the tank lean against the wall after the DPS pulls. Classic.

My guildies are pretty good about form, thankfully (tank out front, pulls first, healers and DPS know how to drop aggro).

And for healers (I mostly play healers, and I can SO relate to this.):

I've seen these vids before, they're hilarious. This guy nails it. :D

I find proper group etiquette to be utter garbage these days. Not being in a large guild with regular people to group with I am forced when I have to run group content to use the group finder system and endure pure misery until the end of the run. Now that the requirement have been dumbed down so that 4 dps can run stuff all group decorum has flown out the window. DPS done give a damn if there's a tank in the group or not they can race along and pull whatever they want when ever they want and get away with it. Nor do they care if there is a healer in the group. They will regularly hit kolto stations when all are at 80% or above despite the fact the healer is actively healing and Dpsing.

And there is nothing to be done about it. Most of the time the lone healer or tank is outnumbered by the Dps and lose the kick votes so their only recourse to protest the bad manners is to leave but that only punishes the tank or healer who don't get to finish the content and now have a lock out before they can que again. And as typical with children allowed to run amuck the more you try to get them to work properly with the group the more they act up and play the fool.

Group content is supposed to be the backbone of an MMO but here and now it's become so painful I wouldn't partake of it unless I had too and unfortunately I am being forced to in order to complete my weekly conquest goals.

You weren't the first one nor will be the last, seems like it's a phenomenon that when a player becomes able to use second flashlight, it somewhat affects his brain functionality. Would be interested to hear scientific explanation for this.

Edited by black_pyros

I just let tanks do a rotation first, before I start doing the DPS thing and make sure I use my aggro drop frequently. There's nothing worse than making your tank and healers job harder than it needs to be, for the sake of a bit of patience. That and I don't really want to run around kiting mobs as a DPS, it detracts from my role. :p

This is one of the hardest things for tanks. Even when the tank pulls first, some DPS don't even let them get a second skill off before they pop all their boosts and rip aggro from the tank. Then the DPS constantly complains that the tank can't do hold aggro.