Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What's with this half-arsed manner of storytelling?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What's with this half-arsed manner of storytelling?

Ardrossan
01.17.2019 , 03:17 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Cattooo View Post
You're confusing the game with reality.
Don't make silly threats of violence ("i'm going to burn down...."), no matter if you perceive them as light-hearted.
Silly little Sith Lord.
Agreed, I'd delete that line if I were you. BW lost its sense of humor over interwebz rage threats during the twitter meltdown a few years ago. You are literally threatening arson in that post, TGap.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Companions are a crutch for the weak.

VelvetSanity
01.17.2019 , 04:32 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Sonicphoto View Post
I think it’s handled well tbh, much better than I anticipated. Im treated as the commander not called “outlander”. They respect me as such, my character does not bow to Malgus because I have authority as commander, I outrank him but sure lets pretend we are equal footing. Your not going to be suddenly put into the dark council or any empire stuff right away. You just got back with them. This is a prologue of you coming back, when the full story comes in you might join fully by the end of it your original faction. But right now they can’t put you right away with them when you can sabotage them. Not everyone’s characters feel like they are jedi or sith anymore so this is a way to make those characters still be their own thing.
Regardless of the alliance thing, my Consular should have been addressed as Barsen’thor, especially since she was dealing with other Jedi. *That* title didn’t change just because I’m the leader of a separate faction, even if other class’s titles/positions no longer apply.

On another note, Vitiate calls the SI “little Sith”? SI should take extreme offense to that, as that’s Khem’s pet name for the SI
Pre-CU Bria refugee
Syvari Lun - Cathar Jedi Sage
Darth Vaccina - Twi’lek Sith Sorceress

JuventusAndFCK
01.18.2019 , 08:08 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
2. The story pretended this was a single-player game, giving an "epic" tale (it wasn't epic at all if you ask me) with us defeating the great all-powerful villain and seating us at the top of things.
I thought people liked the whole valkorion/arcan/vaylin thing, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that's way over that part of the story.

If anything, it made me feel less epic and more like a chum. All the villains have unknowable awesome powers in the force and the only way my Sith and Jedi can compete is by being idiots and giving in to the posessor spirit living in their head or obtaining a literal plot device that's never again referenced.

I also disliked the whole neutral force thing. They don't bother to explain it much and the only reason why it's presented is so the writing can ignore your characters affiliation towards the force. I loved early Sith Warrior light side because the story actually reacted to it, Bioware; more of that, not less!

I've also gotten the sense that it's unwise to criticise Lana and Theron, but can we please include the class-specific companions that have returned in the story yet? It's boring that the plot has exclusively moved through these two characters, even if it's more work I'd much prefer to have some optional roles filled by the other characters.
Why not let us pick a second in command from the old and new roster so the programming of the story can at least go in a sensible direction? It would be neat to pick your quest giver, perhaps it could be isolated to just love interests or something like that.

JattaGin
01.18.2019 , 08:50 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Paulsutherland View Post
I would just time travel this mess away and go back to Ziost.
Since the Ziost weekly is the only content I've been doing regularly ever since up to this week, this wouldn't even make such a big difference.
Bioware offers a friend referal system which gives referred players a couple of goodies (incl. 7 free days of sub and a neat free 10 x inventory slot for every character) and referring players some little shinies and cartel coins.
I would be happy if you choose my referral link to grab your free goodies.

Unperson
01.18.2019 , 03:22 PM | #15
They couldn't build an expansion that properly read existing story flags, breaking progress for many people. Hell, they don't have the resources to even fix a simple quest. And you are asking them to go back to writing and voicing multiple plot variations depending on each character's background?

KotFE/ET wasn't just an attempt to build a single player experience. It was also an effort to wipe the slate clean regarding the pesky previous class stories and myriad decisions made in them that required so much work to accommodate. It was an attempt to cut the ambitious original design of the 2011 version down to a size that's actually manageable for them now.

Bioware doesn't have the means or will to do anything anywhere near the scale of 1.0. EA doesn't care about silly story.

Everyone is the Outlander/Commander... Eternally. Sorry.

TGaP_Andrey
01.18.2019 , 03:25 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Unperson View Post
Everyone is the Outlander/Commander... Eternally. Sorry.
*ba-dummm-tsss* Damn, you're good.

Xenipher
01.18.2019 , 11:13 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Paulsutherland View Post
I would just time travel this mess away and go back to Ziost.
We should have combined the forces from the Revan story and taken down the immortal emperor and his children as part of a Ziost storyline with it weakening both factions. Then Jedi Under Siege happening almost right after. KOTFE/ET were wasted years, in my opinion.
Mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

annabethchase
01.19.2019 , 12:19 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by JuventusAndFCK View Post
I thought people liked the whole valkorion/arcan/vaylin thing,.
Nope, an extremely small percentage liked it enough to stick around for more. People stopped subbing and playing in huge numbers. That's the vote that truly matters.
Thinking about subbing? Use this link to help us both out http://www.swtor.com/r/3txb7F

Paulsutherland
01.19.2019 , 01:45 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Xenipher View Post
We should have combined the forces from the Revan story and taken down the immortal emperor and his children as part of a Ziost storyline with it weakening both factions. Then Jedi Under Siege happening almost right after. KOTFE/ET were wasted years, in my opinion.
Yeah they should have had Valkorion win and begin his galaxy wide ritual. Then bla bla bla some super powerful entity ( maybe one of the Mortis Gods) throws us into the 'world between worlds' and places us in the throne room just before Darth Marr's death. Then 'BOOM' we save Darth Marr, we save Vaylin, we save the Republic, we save the Empire.

Not sure how I would handle my younger PC but I'm sure I can get them to thank me for not making them go through KOTFE/ET/FA.

Quote: Originally Posted by annabethchase View Post
Nope, an extremely small percentage liked it enough to stick around for more. People stopped subbing and playing in huge numbers. That's the vote that truly matters.
Then the boxes arrived with 5.0 and a lot more people left.

Quote: Originally Posted by JattaGin View Post
Since the Ziost weekly is the only content I've been doing regularly ever since up to this week, this wouldn't even make such a big difference.
Most of mine are sitting around that point too, I'm not going to rush them to Ossus because I'm not a fan of some of these preselected choices and I don't really think the Ossus plot is much better either.

Storm-Cutter
01.19.2019 , 01:48 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by annabethchase View Post
A variant on Santayana's famous phrase goes something like:

"Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

IMHO This should be in big friendly letters above the office in Austin TX. - And everyone should have a good old read of the forums and a look at sub numbers before even getting near a developing tool.

The story has come in for a lot of criticism over the last few years.... Lets hope that this new turn is one for the better. - But somehow I don't hold out much hope.
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================