Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Cox_The_Beast
07.22.2016 , 02:59 AM | #8211
Well, yesterday I saw a quite... Interesting Operative.

I was running a FP to remove it from the DvL event list - might aswell play the event, since I made an alt anyway, right?
Anyway, Mando Raiders pops up. I'm on my Vengeance Jugg, lvl 36. The team includes a lvl 65 PT Tank - actually, a very competent one, who manages to salvage things a few times throughout the FP - a Jugg Tank, lvl 26, and a... lvl 49 Op. Tagged as Healer, but... Yeah. We all know not to trust GF in that regard, by now.

Anyway, we start off nicely, until we get to the first boss. I haven't really cared enough to look at everyone else by now tbh, as we haven't had any noticeable trouble by that point. Still, with the big bad beast handler and the dogs, things get interesting. The PT Tank does his job as good as he can, but the Jugg Tank keeps taunting off him and dragging the main boss towards the dogs. He resolves to taunt back after the Jugg Tank taunts, as to avoid that. And after the first half a minute without taunts from the PT and some very noticeable damage spread around, things get relatively smooth. We do have to run the Kolto Stations, however, and I don't see heals from the Op at all, even when I'm extremely low. Good thing I have Endure Pain and Enraged Defence, I guess.
We finish it without deaths, but I have to run the Kolto to keep others alive... As a result, the battle takes forever.

Nevertheless, we made it past the guy, so on we go. At this point, I start to look at the others. The PT Tank is great. The Jugg a bit less so, as he pretty much spams taunts whenever they're off the CD. Which may be good enough on thrash, but during boss fights that can be a problem if there are adds involved.
The Op... Fires his rifle. Like, literally all he does is move around running and shooting things with the basic attack. No wonder the first boss battle took forever.

Anyway, we manage to pull through everything with sheer power - no time to rest, the Jugg Tank is a bit frenzied: if there's some red on screen he jumps at it.

Anyway, things go relatively smooth till we get to the final boss. The Op has never used anything but the basic attack until now, not even stealth. But still, the three of us have a good understanding on what to do. Well, except both Tanks try to keep aggro on the boss at first, DPSing him a lot in the process... As a result, while everyone else follows it after every jump, I'm left mopping up turrets around the room. Even though I am as careful as I can be not to touch the boss, since I'm on turrets duty, it always jumps with one of the turrets at half life. Guess my DPS is a tad lower than I thought...

Anyway, I know my way around Juggs, so I use my DCDs well enough to survive the whole fight above 75% HP. However, things get funny when the boss does his last jump in the middle of the room. It's at about 30% now, and there's two turrets up in a corner. I manage to destroy those, and the boss is at 15%. The PT Tank is using all he has, by now, to detroy it fast. When I jump it, it's a matter of a couple rotations to defeat it. The Op is still running around shooting at the boss.
We loot it, activate the console and comment on the group performance. Pretty good, at least for the three of us... Well, those pulls at less than 100% HP because of the Jugg Tank being impatient were not the best thing in the world, but all in all more than manageable.
But that Op was so painful to watch... We did try to give some pointers at him after we were done, in an attempt to help him through the game. To which he responded with something along the lines of "I've gotten this far this way. I don't see the need to make things complicated".

I could have argued that endgame is a different matter entirely, but I couldn't. In all seriousness... It's not that different, outside HM and NiM content. And let's be honest, would someone with such an attitude ever get to that?
"Saviour, conqueror, hero, villain. You were all these things, Revan... and yet you are nothing. In the end you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."
Darth Malak to Revan on the Leviathan.

Tharandil
07.22.2016 , 03:09 AM | #8212
Quote: Originally Posted by Cox_The_Beast View Post
Well, yesterday I saw a quite... Interesting Operative.

I was running a FP to remove it from the DvL event list - might aswell play the event, since I made an alt anyway, right?
Anyway, Mando Raiders pops up. I'm on my Vengeance Jugg, lvl 36. The team includes a lvl 65 PT Tank - actually, a very competent one, who manages to salvage things a few times throughout the FP - a Jugg Tank, lvl 26, and a... lvl 49 Op. Tagged as Healer, but... Yeah. We all know not to trust GF in that regard, by now.

Anyway, we start off nicely, until we get to the first boss. I haven't really cared enough to look at everyone else by now tbh, as we haven't had any noticeable trouble by that point. Still, with the big bad beast handler and the dogs, things get interesting. The PT Tank does his job as good as he can, but the Jugg Tank keeps taunting off him and dragging the main boss towards the dogs. He resolves to taunt back after the Jugg Tank taunts, as to avoid that. And after the first half a minute without taunts from the PT and some very noticeable damage spread around, things get relatively smooth. We do have to run the Kolto Stations, however, and I don't see heals from the Op at all, even when I'm extremely low. Good thing I have Endure Pain and Enraged Defence, I guess.
We finish it without deaths, but I have to run the Kolto to keep others alive... As a result, the battle takes forever.

Nevertheless, we made it past the guy, so on we go. At this point, I start to look at the others. The PT Tank is great. The Jugg a bit less so, as he pretty much spams taunts whenever they're off the CD. Which may be good enough on thrash, but during boss fights that can be a problem if there are adds involved.
The Op... Fires his rifle. Like, literally all he does is move around running and shooting things with the basic attack. No wonder the first boss battle took forever.

Anyway, we manage to pull through everything with sheer power - no time to rest, the Jugg Tank is a bit frenzied: if there's some red on screen he jumps at it.

Anyway, things go relatively smooth till we get to the final boss. The Op has never used anything but the basic attack until now, not even stealth. But still, the three of us have a good understanding on what to do. Well, except both Tanks try to keep aggro on the boss at first, DPSing him a lot in the process... As a result, while everyone else follows it after every jump, I'm left mopping up turrets around the room. Even though I am as careful as I can be not to touch the boss, since I'm on turrets duty, it always jumps with one of the turrets at half life. Guess my DPS is a tad lower than I thought...

Anyway, I know my way around Juggs, so I use my DCDs well enough to survive the whole fight above 75% HP. However, things get funny when the boss does his last jump in the middle of the room. It's at about 30% now, and there's two turrets up in a corner. I manage to destroy those, and the boss is at 15%. The PT Tank is using all he has, by now, to detroy it fast. When I jump it, it's a matter of a couple rotations to defeat it. The Op is still running around shooting at the boss.
We loot it, activate the console and comment on the group performance. Pretty good, at least for the three of us... Well, those pulls at less than 100% HP because of the Jugg Tank being impatient were not the best thing in the world, but all in all more than manageable.
But that Op was so painful to watch... We did try to give some pointers at him after we were done, in an attempt to help him through the game. To which he responded with something along the lines of "I've gotten this far this way. I don't see the need to make things complicated".

I could have argued that endgame is a different matter entirely, but I couldn't. In all seriousness... It's not that different, outside HM and NiM content. And let's be honest, would someone with such an attitude ever get to that?
interesting story, if you think about people being able to do HM flashpoints at lvl 50ish without decent gear (thnx to DvL) a lot of those fights are also very painfully time-consuming. I do hope everybody with a brain at least gears up at lvl 65 for those raids.

Please use my signature link and I'll be grateful!
Use my Referral Link for a Free Bundle and 7 Day Subscription
http://www.swtor.com/r/3yFZKg

SteveTheCynic
07.22.2016 , 03:28 AM | #8213
Quote: Originally Posted by Halinalle View Post
Black Talon was always easily soloable at level 14+. In fact it was originally [Group 2] and balanced for two players.
I went downstairs on the Fleet and they invited me, and I thought, 'What could go wrong?" and accepted. I found out what could go wrong. (And this was after 3.0 came out, I think.)
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

Halinalle
07.22.2016 , 03:44 AM | #8214
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
I went downstairs on the Fleet and they invited me, and I thought, 'What could go wrong?" and accepted. I found out what could go wrong. (And this was after 3.0 came out, I think.)
Black Talon and Esseles never required roles. I know this because first time I completed it was way before group finder was added to game. I completed it in Dec 2011 during early access on my very first character, Juggernaut, with help of friend who played Marauder. We were both at level 10 or 11 so we didn't have many points to put into skill trees. Back then companions didn't have roles so Vette was pure dps and at low level with very few abilities.

I leveled that character as tank all the way to end of class story. Have you tried to tank at level 10?

SteveTheCynic
07.22.2016 , 07:22 AM | #8215
Quote: Originally Posted by Halinalle View Post
Black Talon and Esseles never required roles. I know this because first time I completed it was way before group finder was added to game. I completed it in Dec 2011 during early access on my very first character, Juggernaut, with help of friend who played Marauder. We were both at level 10 or 11 so we didn't have many points to put into skill trees. Back then companions didn't have roles so Vette was pure dps and at low level with very few abilities.

I leveled that character as tank all the way to end of class story. Have you tried to tank at level 10?
Oh, I know *that*. And no I haven't tried to tank at level 10. I'm not *that* fond of tanking.

My original thing was more on the absurdity of stopping what I was doing while facetanking a champion droid, with my health in freefall, so I could read my ability tooltips, and then being saved by The Bubble.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

benmas
07.22.2016 , 05:09 PM | #8216
Quote: Originally Posted by Cox_The_Beast View Post

"I've gotten this far this way. I don't see the need to make things complicated".

that operative probably watchesthis YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkL...FdZGMK376_I1CA
or watched this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phy3XSY7DC0
Waythuk

The Red Eclipse-->Darth Malgus

bob-a
07.23.2016 , 08:25 AM | #8217
I was in a SM DF yesterday with my newest lvl 65, a body type 4 female chiss shadow in a Satele tunic.

and at the start the raid the raid leader ponted to me saying: 'You. Ive seen your blue *** on the fleet before. Not often do you see a chiss in a Satele outfit.'
I replied: 'And? Did you like what you saw?'
But someone already started pulling then so that question remained unanswered.
overall it was a really smooth op. Everyone knew their stuff. That raid leader was a leeroyer lol, wouldn't be surprised if he was leading HM opses with his guild.

Cox_The_Beast
07.23.2016 , 08:37 AM | #8218
Quote: Originally Posted by benmas View Post
that operative probably watchesthis YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkL...FdZGMK376_I1CA
or watched this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phy3XSY7DC0
Or maybe he's just a victim of how mindlessly easy this game has become. They could just make it a cutscene sequence and it would likely be more difficult than it is now...

Right now, I spend my time playing with a book on the side. Whenever I'm not in group content or in a cutscene I read and let my comps deal with enemies. It's almost like listening to music, with random sound effects on the side.

Well, save for endgame. That's still something that requires a bit of brainpower, at least. Or rather, that's the only thing that requires a working braincell or two...

EDIT: Endgame as in top tier PvP, Ranked PvP, HM FPs and Ops. KotFE I don't consider endgame in the slightiest.
"Saviour, conqueror, hero, villain. You were all these things, Revan... and yet you are nothing. In the end you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."
Darth Malak to Revan on the Leviathan.

josephinec
07.24.2016 , 11:57 AM | #8219
Last night, I was trying to finish conquest on my Ebon Hawk Shadow, who I just switched to tank. Got a pop for tactical Ilum. I took a quick second to pick up the Ruusan crystals I had just bought, so that my companions can keep crafting while I'm in the flashpoint. Then I click to travel. This takes 30 seconds max.
It takes me about 45 seconds to load into Ilum...only to see that I've been kicked.
Me: Why have you kicked me?
Other tank: you took too long.
Me: It wasn't more than a minute.
Other tank: More than that, love.
Not a single question. No "(my character's name), you coming?".
My computer doesn't really like SWTOR so sometimes loading is painful and I have been kicked by the game from many a war zone for taking too long to load. But this is usually when it is overheating, or U-Verse is having a bad day. The things that really irritated me is 1) no one asked if I was having issues and 2) they lied to my face.
Click here so we all get nice things: http://www.swtor.com/r/yLqcYJ
#ThanksBioware
Vaylin deserved better.

AlrikFassbauer
07.24.2016 , 12:24 PM | #8220
I have similar painful loading times, especially Alderaan ( the planet, I mean ). Not so much for FPs, though.

Yesterday, I read in the chat someone talking about not getting someone for FPs ( probably DL event and vacation times ...) ... then, it sounded as if he wanted to do his last try ... I decide to queue for Hammerstation with my level 23 Sage ... Then I get the Group Finder popping up with exactly his name as a team member ... My reply into General Chat : "So." I did it.

However, it was a Tactical, and for that, I feared the worst.
To my sheer surprise it went as smooth as it can get ! We had 3 other Sages in the team ( only 1 a real Healer ) , and 1 Commando. He died only once because of us being not good enough ... But I've rarely seen a smoother tactical run. Maybe it was because everyone had a higher level than my Sage, I guess.

So, Group Finder can provide nice and pleasant surprises, too !
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.