Galactic Starfighter Records

paowee

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beginning to worry that paowee is gone.

Once 2.7 hits, I plan on starting my own records thread, though it's going to be a bit more narrowly scoped on TDM performance, broken down by ship role/variant. No records prior to 2.6 will be included in it though, given how much the game is going to change in 2.7.

Domination is a great team game, but there aren't really any meaningful records to be found there if you're playing to win. In Domination, the team that wins is the one with multiple pilots who can all change duties (node capture, Gunship hunting, node defense) fluidly. And doing that means you are going to put up multiple moderate numbers, not single huge numbers--the only exception being number of Medals earned, which actually is a fairly decent representation of multi-duty effort and skill ... though it's also a reflection of how long a match lasted.

Once 2.7 hits, I plan on starting my own records thread, though it's going to be a bit more narrowly scoped on TDM performance, broken down by ship role/variant. No records prior to 2.6 will be included in it though, given how much the game is going to change in 2.7.

Domination is a great team game, but there aren't really any meaningful records to be found there if you're playing to win. In Domination, the team that wins is the one with multiple pilots who can all change duties (node capture, Gunship hunting, node defense) fluidly. And doing that means you are going to put up multiple moderate numbers, not single huge numbers--the only exception being number of Medals earned, which actually is a fairly decent representation of multi-duty effort and skill ... though it's also a reflection of how long a match lasted.

Looks like the last time he logged in was 48 days ago, at least judging by the characters I know.

I hope you'll at least consider keeping Domination statistics as an aside, since powerups inflate so many numbers (especially dps).

Know what else inflates numbers? Gunships shooting Ion AOE at turrets over and over. Or Flashfires ignoring objectives and just hunting new pilots as they spawn. Or manipulating node ownership to extend a match so you can rack up more numbers.

I have little interest in tracking any record that doesn't align with actually winning a match. Mainly because I will never risk defeat in a Domination match (by playing in a manipulative, non-intuitive fashion) simply to chase forum records.

Yes, Damage Overcharge can vastly affect damage and kills (hopefully less so if it is dropped down to +100%), but locating, acquiring, and making good use of it t all require some measure of flying and gunnery skill, and all are aligned with winning a TDM match. In other words, you can just do what comes naturally to win, and if you do well, the records will follow.

This is also why I want the TDM scoreboard to always include a way to know how long a match lasted, so that all numbers (not just damage) can be normalized for time.

Also, breaking down records by ship should help more people find a niche to excel in.

Edited by Nemarus

Know what else inflates numbers? Gunships shooting Ion AOE at turrets over and over. Or Flashfires ignoring objectives and just hunting new pilots as they spawn. Or manipulating node ownership to extend a match so you can rack up more numbers.

I'm actually more concerned with people slugging capital ship turrets than ioning defense turrets. At least the latter is a valid (if cheesy and stupid) tactic for victory.

Flashfires shooting people as they spawn is also a valid tactic. A dead enemy can't capture a point, after all. Also, it's significantly less boring than waiting for them to come to the node (where they'll just die faster, because allies and defense turrets). By the time things get to that point, the match is already decided anyway; waiting for your three-cap to hit 1000 points is just a formality.

Manipulating node ownership only buffs your damage and kills, not your DPS. DPS is important; damage and kills are less so, because there's no realistic cap on how high those numbers can go. Further, there's currently only one match on the leaderboard that was manipulated to a point where a player got greater than 50 K+A (if Delphi and Xi'ao were manipulating the match, they wouldn't have lost).

While I think a KAPM stat would be immensely useful to put those kinds of matches in context (just like DPS is currently), I think eliminating them entirely would be foolish.

Also, breaking down records by ship should help more people find a niche to excel in.

Yeah, definitely agree with this.

Paowee is still around. So no need for you to start a new thread. :o

Paowee is still around. So no need for you to start a new thread. :o

I might anyway. The original thread is bloated with so many different records and categories, many of which can be exploited, that there's not a whole lot of meaning to it anymore.

I might anyway. The original thread is bloated with so many different records and categories, many of which can be exploited, that there's not a whole lot of meaning to it anymore.

I agree.

Which records and categories do people want to scrap?

FOR TDM

1) Kills (and kills + assists) when your team wins by hitting 50 points

2) Kills (and kills + assists) when the TDM ends because of time

FOR DOMINION

Which categories are considered "fluff" and should be removed and which one should we maintain?

I'm all ears for format and record ideas.

Should we scrap "Kills" and replace it with Kills + Assists?

Should we remove total damage done and DPS because those can be bloated by sniping turrets?

Edited by paowee

I would like to see categories for solo kills, K+A, and DPS, all across Domination, TDM (completion), and TDM (time). I think those are the three "core" stats. As a bonus, hit percent in a match-agnostic setting (with a minimum number of total shots fired, as it is now).

As for sniping turrets... we might just have to go by honor system, as exploitable as that is. :/

I would like to see categories for solo kills, K+A, and DPS, all across Domination, TDM (completion), and TDM (time). I think those are the three "core" stats. As a bonus, hit percent in a match-agnostic setting (with a minimum number of total shots fired, as it is now).

As for sniping turrets... we might just have to go by honor system, as exploitable as that is. :/

Ion on satellite turrets or flashfire camping newly spawned players is legit or no? You are still contributing to winning the game. As opposed to capital ship sniping which does absolutely nothing at all...

Sample:

TDM WINNING at 50

Solo Kills

K+A

DPS

TDM TIME RUNS OUT

Solo Kills

K+A

DPS

DOMINION

Solo Kills

K+A

DPS

===============

How about total damage done, damage taken; we scrap those? also this way kills is going to be k+a from now on. Finally how about solo kills and kill streaks?

We can probably remove kill streaks and damage taken (just imo)

Also will change the formatting of the OP. It could look better :rolleyes: (over the weekend)

Edited by paowee

Ion on satellite turrets or flashfire camping newly spawned players is legit or no? You are still contributing to winning the game. As opposed to capital ship sniping which does absolutely nothing at all...

I think those are legit. They're not Honorable Strategies, but realistically speaking, top-end PvP doesn't generally use Honorable Strategies.

Again, I don't really see a way to prevent people from sniping capital ship turrets. It's on BioWare to give them an invulnerability mechanic (not just 100% armor, because lol slugs). Until they do that, we're pretty much helpless outside the honor system.

Sample:

Looks good to me.

How about total damage done, damage taken; we scrap those? also this way kills is going to be k+a from now on. Finally how about solo kills and kill streaks?

We can probably remove kill streaks and damage taken (just imo)

I'm ok with getting rid of kills because while those are nice to brag about, K+A is more important and solo kills are "better" (i.e. you can't just sneak in and snipe someone for the last hit, as I've done more than a few times).

I dunno about kill streaks, though. Those are potentially important (especially in TDM). I'll let others chime in here.

Damage done is probably the ultimate bragging stat, but it's really not that important in the grand scheme of things. DPS is a better meter, imo.

Definitely vote to remove damage taken, though. My overall average damage taken is like 14k, which means I've most likely had a "record-setting" match on that front... but no one checks their damage taken, because it's a largely irrelevant stat. It doesn't look like there's been very many submissions there, anyway.

Don't just take my opinion, though. I'm sure other people have input.

I think those are legit. They're not Honorable Strategies, but realistically speaking, top-end PvP doesn't generally use Honorable Strategies.

Again, I don't really see a way to prevent people from sniping capital ship turrets. It's on BioWare to give them an invulnerability mechanic (not just 100% armor, because lol slugs). Until they do that, we're pretty much helpless outside the honor system.

Looks good to me.

I'm ok with getting rid of kills because while those are nice to brag about, K+A is more important and solo kills are "better" (i.e. you can't just sneak in and snipe someone for the last hit, as I've done more than a few times).

I dunno about kill streaks, though. Those are potentially important (especially in TDM). I'll let others chime in here.

Damage done is probably the ultimate bragging stat, but it's really not that important in the grand scheme of things. DPS is a better meter, imo.

Definitely vote to remove damage taken, though. My overall average damage taken is like 14k, which means I've most likely had a "record-setting" match on that front... but no one checks their damage taken, because it's a largely irrelevant stat. It doesn't look like there's been very many submissions there, anyway.

"Kill Streak in TDM only"

I agree with you for kill streaks in TDM. In dominion kill streaks (imo) is more of playing it safely/passively/fighting newbies so you don't die. as a gunship it is very easy to use dodge shield, turn (+turn speed), barrel roll+booster back to safety especially in lost shipywards. perhaps we can keep kill streak for TDB and remove it in dominion (?)

"DPS replacing damage done or other way around"

Should we remove this altogether? It is very similar to DPS. The thing is tho this is the first thing that we look at after the match. The scoreboard instantly shows total damage done of players whereas DPS is something you have to look for. Maybe "Damage done replace DPS" instead?

Below: just my /2c...

"What Records/Stats can say about you"

How aggressive/pro/good at fighting you are

1. Solo kills

2. High accuracy

3. DPS OR Damage done

4. K+A

5. Kill Streak - more important in TDM (remove in Dominion)

kills and kill streak i put on the 4th/5th because we all know how easy it is to steal a kill (hint gunships ;) ) Imo these are some of the more important stats.

(in an ideal scenario, without turret sniping, etc, etc) Which one do you guys think says more about your performance as a Starfigther? DPS / Damage done

Sample 2:

:csw_tiefighter: GALACTIC STARFIGHTER LEADERBOARDS:csw_xwing:

FORMAT

[Name] - [Ship if applicable] - [Guild] - [Server] - [XXX.XX] [Criteria] http://imgur.com

Copy paste several lines for multiple submissions (for my QoL:D)

Example:

TDM @ 50

Shock - GSS-3 Mangler - Casual - POT5 - 174,279 damage imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/23/7o3o.jpg

Shock - GSS-3 Mangler - Casual - POT5 - 47 kill streak imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/23/7o3o.jpg

Shock - GSS-3 Mangler - Casual - POT5 - 71 k+a imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/23/7o3o.jpg

TDM TIME RUNS OUT

Shock - GSS-3 Mangler - Casual - POT5 - 174,279 damage imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/23/7o3o.jpg

Shock - GSS-3 Mangler - Casual - POT5 - 47 kill streak imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/23/7o3o.jpg

Shock - GSS-3 Mangler - Casual - POT5 - 71 k+a imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/23/7o3o.jpg

TABLE OF CONTENTS

[jumpto=1]1. Team Deathmatch - win @ 50[/jumpto]
[jumpto=2]2. Team Deathmatch - time runs out[/jumpto]
[jumpto=3]3. Dominion[/jumpto]
[jumpto=4]4. Others[/jumpto]
[jumpto=5]5. Others[/jumpto]

[aname=1]TDM @ 50[/aname]

Damage done

Kill Streak

K+A

Solo Kills

Accuracy + Min damage

[aname=2]TDM TIME RUNS OUT[/aname]

Damage done

Kill Streak

K+A

Solo Kills

Accuracy + Min damage

[aname=3]DOMINION[/aname]

Damage done

Solo Kills

K+A

Accuracy + Min damage

[aname=4]SPOILER TAGS[/aname]

1. GSF World Firsts

2. Videos

3. BW anecdotes

Edited by paowee

Repost

Looks good to me.

"Kill Streak in TDM only"

I agree with you for kill streaks in TDM. In dominion kill streaks (imo) is more of playing it safely/passively/fighting newbies so you don't die. as a gunship it is very easy to use dodge shield, turn (+turn speed), barrel roll+booster back to safety especially in lost shipywards. perhaps we can keep kill streak for TDB and remove it in dominion (?)

"DPS replacing damage done or other way around"

Should we remove this altogether? It is very similar to DPS. The thing is tho this is the first thing that we look at after the match. The scoreboard instantly shows total damage done of players whereas DPS is something you have to look for. Maybe "Damage done replace DPS" instead?

Below: just my /2c...

"What Records/Stats can say about you"

How aggressive/pro/good at fighting you are

1. Solo kills

2. High accuracy

3. DPS OR Damage done

4. K+A

5. Kill Streak - more important in TDM (remove in Dominion)

kills and kill streak i put on the 4th/5th because we all know how easy it is to steal a kill (hint gunships ;) ) Imo these are some of the more important stats.

(in an ideal scenario, without turret sniping, etc, etc) Which one do you guys think says more about your performance as a Starfigther? DPS / Damage done

Sample 2:

:csw_tiefighter: GALACTIC STARFIGHTER LEADERBOARDS:csw_xwing:

[aname=0]FORMAT[/aname]

[Name] - [Ship if applicable] - [Guild] - [Server] - [XXX.XX] [Criteria] http://imgur.com

Copy paste several lines for multiple submissions (for my QoL:D)

Example:

TDM win @ 50

TDM TIME RUNS OUT

[aname=toc]TABLE OF CONTENTS[/aname]

[jumpto=1]1. Team Deathmatch - win @ 50[/jumpto]
[jumpto=2]2. Team Deathmatch - time runs out[/jumpto]
[jumpto=3]3. Dominion[/jumpto]
[jumpto=4]4. Others[/jumpto]
[jumpto=5]5. Others[/jumpto]

[aname=1]TDM WIN @ 50[/aname]

Damage done

Kill Streak

K+A

Solo Kills

Accuracy + Min damage

[jumpto=toc]BACK TO TABLE OF CONTENTS[/jumpto]

[aname=2]TDM TIME RUNS OUT[/aname]

Damage done

Kill Streak

K+A

Solo Kills

Accuracy + Min damage

[aname=3]DOMINION[/aname]

Damage done

Solo Kills

K+A

Accuracy + Min damage

[aname=4]SPOILER TAGS[/aname]

1. GSF World Firsts

2. Videos

3. BW anecdotes

Edited by paowee

I agree.

Which records and categories do people want to scrap?

I think you misunderstand. Nemarus does not want to give you a chance to improve and refine the existing thread. They are a very self important and want to take it over/away from you. I personally think it's rude but some people just don't know better or do not care. We can't hold everyone to the high The Harbinger standards I guess. Edited by Lendul

I think you misunderstand. Nemarus does not want to give you a chance to improve and refine the existing thread. They are a very self important and want to take it over/away from you. I personally think it's rude but some people just don't know better or do not care. We can't hold everyone to the high The Harbinger standards I guess.

you're funny

nem thought paowee had quit and was planning to start a new thread... after the DO nerf

you're funny

nem thought paowee had quit and was planning to start a new thread... after the DO nerf

Um, paowee didn't quit. And the fact that Nemarus said they were going to start one anyway just stinks of smuggery. Edited by Lendul