The Secret World (MMO)

CarlosTrevisan

Ive read a bit about this game and found some things that i should like on it.

its paced on a moder era, you can use modern weapons (rifles, shotguns,...) and such.

But ive seen many complaining posts about game mechanics, some sinergies broken, and about gameplay "too hard", especialy for some weapon combinations.

Does anyone have an experience on the game? Its worth to play?

Ty in advance

Ive read a bit about this game and found some things that i should like on it.

its paced on a moder era, you can use modern weapons (rifles, shotguns,...) and such.

But ive seen many complaining posts about game mechanics, some sinergies broken, and about gameplay "too hard", especialy for some weapon combinations.

Does anyone have an experience on the game? Its worth to play?

Ty in advance

It depends on what you're looking for in an MMO.

If you are looking for a deep story experience, in a setting similar to the Dresden Files, World of Darkness, and other dark alternate reality settings - yes, it's very worth playing.

The broken mechanics and such is nonsense, maybe it was that way around launch - but by the time I started playing it was all working properly.

It's also a very fun game if you're the kind of player that likes "theorycrafting", and coming up with your own builds - as it features a pretty deep character customization system.

If you want to try it, but you don't feel like investing any money quite yet - ask for a buddy invite.

They are giving some out on the mmorpg.com forums for example http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/356621/page/166

And I'm sure there are some people here who play both and still have some invites left too.

I forgot to adress the "too hard" part.

It depends on what you consider too hard, there is a learning curve yes - and there are some areas which will put your build to the test when you get there.

If you don't like a challenge it might be a turn-off, but if that doesn't scare you, you'll likely enjoy it.

It's also important to note that you can't mess up your build to the point where you'd have to reroll - almost all the content is repeatable, and you can get an infinite amount of skill points to keep adding to your build and to make new ones.

(It is adviced that you stick with two weapons at first though, otherwise your few points will get way too spread out)

game is very lovely.

character customization is fantastic

story is fun, but you are more of a spectator in cutscenes, rather than participant. your character is mute. but they are more fluidly animated that SWTOR ones, in part because there is no need to stop for conversation choices.

learning curve is steep. at least for me. I'm still confused as hell as to how to play the damn thing and I die more often than I succeed. game mechanics are NOT TOR like. I mean... you have an ability bar with keybinds on it and you press keybind to execute and ability (or you could click the bars) movement is the usual wasd/mouse directioning deal. but that's where similarities end.

you have 3 character slots. period. not 3 per server. 3, period. that said, other then intro/home city and occasional faction quests - the story is essentially the same for all three, and since you are not limited to a specific class so you really only need a single character to try out wide variety of play styles

its different. its a very different game. I second suggestion for trying out the game first, before buying. and it periodically goes on sale 50-60% sale (about a week ago, it was selling for $10)

Thanks for the info guys!

Ill look in to it when i get home after work.

I love the idea of a MMO with rifles and shotguns!

Ive read that the quests need more search and arent obviuos as on others MMOs, i hope my mid/low english doesnt stop me from doing them.

And thanks for the advie about prices

Ive read that the quests need more search and arent obviuos as on others MMOs, i hope my mid/low english doesnt stop me from doing them.

Those are a minority of the quests. They are called investigation missions, and as the name implies, they require a lot of investigation to complete.

It's a very out of the box thinking approach compared to most MMO's where getting information is a simple matter of finding and clicking the glowing object in the room.

In TSW you'll learn to look at paintings, photographs on someone's desk and such objects for clues. :p

They won't make them glow and stand out, it's all up to the player to figure it out (or to consult one of the excellent online guides if they get stuck).

Edited by Callaron

ive seen that there is no subscription, but there is the "membership" status

do you guys subscribe o this membership? its worth?

That's up to you to decide. I've got a Grandmaster account - basically their version of a lifetime sub, so no, technically I'm not subbed. (or I've paid in advance if you prefer) :p

Subbing gives you a monthly points stipend, just like it does over here, plus a store discount (10% I think) and I believe a daily time accelerator (AKA XP boost).

You also get veteran points and the item of the month, which is a different and unique item every month.

Other than that you don't really have any restrictions as F2P, so there's no harm in going with that until you're sure you enjoy the game well enough to invest further (or if you really like the item of this month and want it before it's gone for good!)

Edit: Found you a list of the items of the month that have gone by, so you can see what kind of stuff it usually is.

http://wiki.crygaia.com/view/Item_of_the_month

Edited by Callaron

If you do like most lamers do and just use a guide then of course you won't have trouble. However, if you solve the missions yourself it can be incredibly fun and rewarding but extremely hard. However, I'm afraid that, not only do you need a good command of the English language, you also need logical thinking, history and literature knowledge and patience.

Personally, I loved the journey but the end-game was kind of meh so I only play it once new content comes out. The instances, while certainly extremely hard on nightmare compared to TOR, are dull and repetitive once you have a team that gets it down to science. Of course, you need to get it down to science and have good group cohesion or you'll just get stomped, HARD.

Played it for over a year just about and loved it until new content slowed to a halt.

I loved the NM instances, but as others have said, a good well co-ordinated team is needed to beat them, especially the later ones.

I think the hardest part of the game for newbies is the 'wheel' and how to make the most of it. The 'starter' builds you can aim for aren't always the best. Don't be afraid to experiment with builds and study the wheel well. Look for synergies across skills and be prepared to have a variety of builds to fight different mob types.

A game well worth trying and spending some time in. Yes, there are cheat guides, all games have them. The challenge of TSW is finding things out and doing it on your own.

I also found it had one of the best communities of all the MMO's I've played.

First impressions about the game.

Ive created a character and im oing (so far) on path of Shotgun and Rifle. Maybe isnt a perfect combo as should be a Ranged and Melee weapon (instead of Ranged and Ranged), but im having a lot of fun with it!

The "filler"of the shotgun its an AoE skill, and its "consumer/finisher" its single target, on the rifle its the oposite, the "filler" its single target and the "consumer/finisher" its AoE, so by switching skills i can have an AoE or Single Target skills as much as i want! im loving it.

im still on "Kingsmouth Town" and im stil getting used of the game. looks much more complicade then SWTOR, but still very fun!

oh, and i was recently playing a game called "State of Decay", so when i got to "Kingsmouth Town" all that feeling of walking dead stile returned, very very good.

First impressions about the game.

Ive created a character and im oing (so far) on path of Shotgun and Rifle. Maybe isnt a perfect combo as should be a Ranged and Melee weapon (instead of Ranged and Ranged), but im having a lot of fun with it!

The "filler"of the shotgun its an AoE skill, and its "consumer/finisher" its single target, on the rifle its the oposite, the "filler" its single target and the "consumer/finisher" its AoE, so by switching skills i can have an AoE or Single Target skills as much as i want! im loving it.

im still on "Kingsmouth Town" and im stil getting used of the game. looks much more complicade then SWTOR, but still very fun!

oh, and i was recently playing a game called "State of Decay", so when i got to "Kingsmouth Town" all that feeling of walking dead stile returned, very very good.

Kingsmouth is awesome!

And rifle/shotgun shouldn't be a bad combo, you can even work some "leeching" into your build (or alternate build) for when you need some healing. :D

Yes, the game is more complicated and more difficult than SWTOR as a whole (pretty hard not to, since SWTOR is pretty much in the same league as WoW when it comes to overall difficulty - very casual friendly).

Im loving the game so far.

There was some time that i didnt have to THINK to solve a quest. Looks like those old games/rpgs. The first time that ive needed to use a computer on this game i got myself staring the screen, looking that black screen (DOS like stile) and think "what now?" But when you can solve a mistery you feel so good, thats totaly worth the time spent.

And the combat?? Its so fast paced that looks more like an action game than other thing. Im loving it.

I guess the only problem its that maybe this diferent style can spoil me. Will be hard to come back to the old "mat combat" stile of RPG, where the hit chance, etc its all based on your gear and not on gameplay skill.

The game isnt all hard, but ive died plenty of times, unlike on SWTOR, where i just die trying to solo heroes 2+, 4+ or on PvP. On TSW if you get yourself with too many enemies (like more enemies aggroing during a fight) you can easely be dead.

There is one thing, the Healt pool. You cant increase it a lot. I mean, you can wear gear that increase it, but at heavy cost of DPS. How its the end game? Ive seen some mobs at the edge of the maps (Lairs, or semething like) with more than 20k each (if i do remember). If you dont gain "levels" on this game, how to improve, efectively, the HP without messing up DPS?

Im loving the game so far.

There was some time that i didnt have to THINK to solve a quest. Looks like those old games/rpgs. The first time that ive needed to use a computer on this game i got myself staring the screen, looking that black screen (DOS like stile) and think "what now?" But when you can solve a mistery you feel so good, thats totaly worth the time spent.

And the combat?? Its so fast paced that looks more like an action game than other thing. Im loving it.

I guess the only problem its that maybe this diferent style can spoil me. Will be hard to come back to the old "mat combat" stile of RPG, where the hit chance, etc its all based on your gear and not on gameplay skill.

The game isnt all hard, but ive died plenty of times, unlike on SWTOR, where i just die trying to solo heroes 2+, 4+ or on PvP. On TSW if you get yourself with too many enemies (like more enemies aggroing during a fight) you can easely be dead.

There is one thing, the Healt pool. You cant increase it a lot. I mean, you can wear gear that increase it, but at heavy cost of DPS. How its the end game? Ive seen some mobs at the edge of the maps (Lairs, or semething like) with more than 20k each (if i do remember). If you dont gain "levels" on this game, how to improve, efectively, the HP without messing up DPS?

The easiest ways to get more health is to get gear with a higher QL, and to increase the talisman skill that gives you extra health.

A lot of people equip one "tanking" item even on their DPS characters (or custom build one with a lot of health) to add survivability, since a "pure" DPS will have very low health.

Also... be aware that there is actually a "Hit" stat on TSW, and if you don't invest in it you will run into some serious trouble as the mob difficulty ramps up across the zones (It'll cause you to "glance" every attack, or outright miss).

Lairs are the TOR equivalent of H4 Areas. You're not supposed to solo those.

As far as stats go, in the end game you have gear that has nothing but one stat, so you can have just as much hp as you think is appropriate for a fight and that's one of the tricky and interesting parts of TSW. You don't have set gear, just the QL of items go up and the stat in the goes up. When I solo, I use 2 items with nothing but HP on them as that gives me enough room to survive even the odd bad pulls or mobs with nasty abilities without having to shuffle my build around, even though I have every skill unlocked in the wheel, so I certainly have options.

My favourite build is Assault Rifle/Pistols with pistols givin a single target builder and a resource dump while AR gives AoE and Red Mist. The build revolves around massive dot application and other passives which cause massive buffs against targets with dots on them in addition to Live Wire. It's a solid build that can handle anything apart from some mobs which reflect dots, those lurkers in Transylvania are nasty for DoT builds. For them and other anti-DoT mobs, I change dots to Auto-crits when I penetrate and replace my AR with Blades.

The main thing though, is to look at ALL the wheels, and ignore the mentality of using blade passives if you use blades. Elementals and shotguns have some seriously awesome passives for any DPS build.

Edited by Jandi

Yeah, against noobs who don't use any HP items. :p But against a good player with 2 HP items it's pretty meh due to it's CD and cast time.

You can still get them when they are trying to retreat from some fight or ignoring you. :rak_01:

Worked wonders on Blingzilla too!

Edited by Callaron

It's a good game, and I still play it from time to time.

Two things about it go against my tastes:

1) the quest log mechanics suck. People here complain about limited mission tracking..... they should go play TSW for a bit. Nothing I can't cope with, but it remains annoying.

2) The day to day content is just a bit too ghoulish for my tastes. I'm not into zombie apocalypse themes much. Small doses only please.

It's a good game, and I still play it from time to time.

Two things about it go against my tastes:

1) the quest log mechanics suck. People here complain about limited mission tracking..... they should go play TSW for a bit. Nothing I can't cope with, but it remains annoying.

2) The day to day content is just a bit too ghoulish for my tastes. I'm not into zombie apocalypse themes much. Small doses only please.

Yeah, the quest log could definitely use a makeover - I recall a few instances where I was annoyed with it myself.

Number two doesn't really bother me; since it is kinda part of the whole theme.

I suspect the walking dead will be back for the Tokyo expansion too, with it being ground zero of the "infection" and all.