What changes could be made to the UI to make it more appealing?

LordArtemis

I have suggested various changes in the past. To sum up....

Color change for UI

The ability to change the color of the UI, at least basic colors like red, yellow, green, purple, black and white with the blue. I also suggested that the Imperial UI defaults to red. This would change the overall color of the ENTIRE UI, including the map.

Change mini map and player portraits

I would suggest we be allowed a few different types of maps and player portraits...borderless, square and round (default).

Direct number display on XP/Legacy bars

I think it would be helpful is we could display the actual numbers for XP and Legacy directly on the end of the bars just like the option for health and action bars. Hovering over those bars to get them to provide the actual numbers can be difficult depending on resolution and UI size.

All points of interest displayed on exposed map

If an area has been explored and things like quest givers, mail, vendors and the like are discovered they should remain on the map at all times regardless of distance from them. You would still have the ability to toggle them on or off, and perhaps could toggle near or distant display of the icons on the map.

Ability to add a second inventory bag

I would like to see a second inventory bag added to our personal inventory, with the ability to expand it the same way as our primary bag. This would only be available as a legacy unlock when you finish your third chapter.

If anyone else has any ideas as to how the UI could be improved I would love to see them, perhaps add them to the list. Thanks for reading.

Edited by LordArtemis

Target of my target

When targeting a friendly, it would be helpful to see a target icon, similar to our target icon, below our target. This way we could select that target directly.

Direct number display on health/power bars

I think it would be helpful is we could display the actual numbers for health and power, XP and the like directly on the end of the bars. Hovering over those bars to get them to provide the actual numbers can be difficult depending on resolution and UI size.

I think these two are already available through the interface editor, you just have to enable the target of target frame and for the number display on your bars you can select any frame like group, target or your own to show information text, just scroll down and select the box to enable the text.

Also you can change the Cartel Market's icon alpha level to 0% and you can barely see it.

Edited by NicAX

I'd like that each bar could have the "switch" that is on the right of the first bar, and that it can display bars that are already shown. The ability to change the position of the toggle indicator on stance like abilities. Having the toggle under the icon when the bar is vertical, is not optimal. Before custom UI, bar 3 and 4 (left and right vertical bars) used to have toggle indicators directed towards the center of the screen. The ability to choose when the CD text turns red, independently of when it displays tenths of seconds. (Personal wish : red under 5s, displays tenths under 2s) The ability to choose when the CD text start to be displayed in seconds : 60s, 90s, or 120s. Edited by Altheran

I think these two are already available through the interface editor, you just have to enable the target of target frame and for the number display on your bars you can select any frame like group, target or your own to show information text, just scroll down and select the box to enable the text.

Also you can change the Cartel Market's icon alpha level to 0% and you can barely see it.

Yes both of those features are already there.

• 2 months later...
Customizable alert icons. I'd love the ability to create alert icons on my screen when an ability is available, when a proc has been triggered, when a DoT on an enemy has ended etc. All this information is already available, but especially the status icons are hard to see.

I don't know if I'm late to the party, but I just realized that the Flamethrower proc on my PT tank gives a visual cue in form of a flame icon above my characters head. It's very quick (maybe 0.5 seconds). Has anyone else noticed this, and is it possible to increase the duration of the proc cue?

Well, the numbers do not appear on the XP or Legacy bar. I should have been more specific.

If you put your pointer on the EXP bar it tells you how much exp you have and how much for your next level, same for the legacy, but it is fiddly and annoying, and hard to read.

Edited by AlexDougherty

I'd like a trashbin I could throw it in.

You can pretty much already do this by shrinking the Cartel Market button to its smallest size, turning the alpha down so it is almost transparent, then moving it to a bottom corner or under another component. No trash bin tho :p

Great ideas. Very reasonable and well within reach...I believe.

Let me add this:

Colorblind Options!!

I cannot see "red error text" very well. I am dichromatic color blind and I lose red very easily. We need to be able to move and re-color error text.

Great ideas. Very reasonable and well within reach...I believe.

Let me add this:

Colorblind Options!!

I cannot see "red error text" very well. I am dichromatic color blind and I lose red very easily. We need to be able to move and re-color error text.

I'd like the ability to create waypoints on the map.

I like both of these. Good suggestions IMO.

More customization options.

I never forget the culture shock of coming from WoW's UI to TOR. Thanks to add-ons, you can have pretty much exactly the UI you want in WoW. With well chosen add ons and enough time spend playing the game, you inetivably end up in situation where every smallest of detail is exactly to your liking.

TOR's equivalent has travelled from an insult(launch) to "ok" Still ton of room for improvement. Loads of things player most certainly should be able to customize are uncustomizeable.

I really love it how even now, almost 2 years after launch, I still have my face, name and class visible all the time with no ability to do something about this. You know, just in case I in heat od combat forget what my name is, what clsss I rolled or how my char looks like. They should add text STAR WARS - THE OLD REPUBLIC on gigantic letters to bottom corner of the screen as finishing touch.

I continue to have severly lacking freedom when it comes to customization of proc, buff and debuff bars or ways cooldowns are displayed. In general, TOR's UI would turn vastly superior over night if single person in Dev team would see it fit to Install WoW, download Bartender4 for it and then copy the experience to TOR. Instead, they chose to look at screenshots of vanilla WoW and copy the experience.

Edited by Stradlin

What I would like is that if I select items like mailboxes as visible on the map that it shows them on the map without having to stand next to them.

Very much this. The fact that you need to be within a certain distance of them to be able to see them on the map sort of defeats the purpose of looking for them on the map.