Understanding Force Sight

GameGeekRob

I have been trying to gain a better understanding of the Force Sight ability as used by the Miraluka. According to Wookieepedia, Force Sight allows the Miraluka to see organisms mostly, and perceive objects as translucent. They can't perceive color at all.

Jerec's page specifically mentions that he can't see holograms. This seems to imply that energy and light are imperceptible to the Miraluka. How do Miraluka manage to survive in a galaxy where all written information only exists in the form of words on a screen? From what I can gather, there doesn't seem to be any form of braille or other system to aid those who are visually impaired. How does a Miraluka Jedi/Sith view the blade of a lightsaber or a blaster bolt, then? If they can't see them, then how have they not all been cut down or shot by blaster fire?

It seems strange to me that Miraluka can't "see" light or color. I feel they should be able to still discern these things, but obviously not in the same way a person with eyes would. Light is a physical phenomenon and to say it can't be seen by the Miraluka just because they lack the organs to see doesn't make sense. It implies that photoreceptors are the only way light can be observed.

Does anyone else have some insight into the way Force Sight works for the Miraluka?

Jerec's page specifically mentions that he can't see holograms.

That really can't be anything more than erroneous information. I mean, Jerec was an historian in the Jedi Temple so there's no way he could have done the job if he couldn't see the information.

How does a Miraluka Jedi/Sith view the blade of a lightsaber or a blaster bolt, then? If they can't see them, then how have they not all been cut down or shot by blaster fire?

Standard Force danger sense, the exact same thing that let's a Force user with functional eyeballs to do that same sort of thing blindfolded.

The nature of the Mirakula vision has been altered by various authors, originally they couldn't see colour or holograms, but various authors got bored of this and basically turned into from the colourless xray vision into normal sight that can see through walls.

Yeah... This is really throwing me for a loop when trying to find information. If you try to think about it logically, with the information that is out there, you start to run into inconsistencies or logic that doesn't follow.

I don't know, it's possible Miralukas can switch, maybe they think, like Traya, that sight is a distraction. To be honest, most of that info will come from KOTOR 2, and Visas Marr, yet she's an odd case, Nihilus gouged her eyes out, so she wouldn't have an option to switch between sights.

I don't know, it's possible Miralukas can switch, maybe they think, like Traya, that sight is a distraction. To be honest, most of that info will come from KOTOR 2, and Visas Marr, yet she's an odd case, Nihilus gouged her eyes out, so she wouldn't have an option to switch between sights.

Miraluka don't have eyes, at all. So, they can't really see in any other way than Force Sight.

Visas didn't really have her eyes removed. She had her eye sockets torn open: http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110514052649/starwars/images/4/48/Visas_sockets.jpg

Miraluka don't have eyes, at all. So, they can't really see in any other way than Force Sight.

Visas didn't really have her eyes removed. She had her eye sockets torn open: http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110514052649/starwars/images/4/48/Visas_sockets.jpg

Exactly what we mean by authors changing.

Visas originally had eyes, Kreia has eyes until she decided to see like Miralukas, many different sources say she had her eyes gauged out (IE, Kotor Campaigj Guide)

It's just too hard to pick one source.

Exactly what we mean by authors changing.

Visas originally had eyes, Kreia has eyes until she decided to see like Miralukas, many different sources say she had her eyes gauged out (IE, Kotor Campaigj Guide)

It's just too hard to pick one source.

Miraluka may have still had eyes, but they would be atrophied and utterly incapable of perceiving visible light. From the Tales of the Jedi Companion (handbook to the original West End Games SW RPG, which describes the Great Sith War, where the Miraluka were originally introduced).

"Since the Abron system's (the system where Alpheridies, the Miraluka homeworld, was located) red dwarf star emits energy mostly in the infrared spectrum, the Miraluka gradually lost their ability to sense and process visible light waves. During that period of mutation, the Miraluka's long-dormant ability to "see" the Force grew stronger, until they relied upon Force-sight without conscious effort."

So no, holograms and electronic screens would not be perceived by their biological eyes. There is no similar limitation to Force Sight, however, so they possibly could have a fully functional sight that allowed them to polish lightsabre crystals, fly a starfighter with deadly precision (feats performed by Shoaneb Culu, first Miraluka to appear in the EU), or act as an archivist or historian (like Jerec) or do pretty much anything that a fully-functional sentient with complete visual capacity can do. They'd only be completely blinded in places where Force sight was impaired, or where the Force was absent.