A wasted opportunity

IramUnleashed

Anyone else feel like they should have done more with the apprentices of the Force using classes? With the exception of Jaesa, you can't turn any of the Force using companions to the Dark Side or turn Xalek to the Light Side. Ashara never fully embraced the Dark Side even though you corrupted her, there was a perfect opportunity to turn Kira to the Dark Side during the mission to find the Shock Drum, Allowing Nadia to kill her father's murderer would have been a perfect way to set her down the path of the Dark Side as well. Xalek could have been turned to the Light Side by sparing Harkon and explaining why it's stronger to show forgiveness to an enemy, or something along those lines. One of the things I love about KOTOR II was the fact you could turn your companions alignment to the Force to match yours and their dialog would match their alignment in certain situations. I feel like this was a great opportunity that was wasted and I don't know if Bioware is working on the main campaign anymore because if they are, they should add this. Edited by IramUnleashed

...maybe your wish will come true

BUT first - paragraphs mf !

- they have said that they will bring back some companions AND maybe during the mission u have a chance to solve the Chapter in several ways

- so if they bring back a force sensitive companion he / she can be set on a specific alignment depending on the choices u made in the particular Chapter .... like the Kalyio Chapter

I disagree. Much of influencing your companions to such an extent in KOTOR II had to do with the fact that the player-character was an unwitting force-vampire. Swtor player-characters are just random schmoes thrown into weird situations. I greatly prefer the variety of personality and character development in that you can't simply have your way and completely change companions in this game. To me, it shows a little agency and backbone on the part of the npc's. For Ashara specifically, I really enjoy her dialogue because she sets the pace for the relationship with the inquisitor. She's cautious and she only increases the level of intimacy when she's confident and feels it is safe to do so. Then in the end she is explicit about identifying as neither Jedi nor Sith and isn't interested in the nonsense from either side, but she's pragmatic enough to listen when it can accomplish her goal of galactic peace/stability. She'd probably have very little patience for someone trying to convince her to go full DS or LS.

Frankly, what I would want to see more of is what could happen with Koth: companions who get sick of the player's crap throw the bird and peace out. I think that would be more likely to happen than being able to corrupt or redeem every companion.

Edited by gragnongoth

I disagree. Much of influencing your companions to such an extent in KOTOR II had to do with the fact that the player-character was an unwitting force-vampire. Swtor player-characters are just random schmoes thrown into weird situations. I greatly prefer the variety of personality and character development in that you can't simply have your way and completely change companions in this game. To me, it shows a little agency and backbone on the part of the npc's. For Ashara specifically, I really enjoy her dialogue because she sets the pace for the relationship with the inquisitor. She's cautious and she only increases the level of intimacy when she's confident and feels it is safe to do so. Then in the end she is explicit about identifying as neither Jedi nor Sith and isn't interested in the nonsense from either side, but she's pragmatic enough to listen when it can accomplish her goal of galactic peace/stability. She'd probably have very little patience for someone trying to convince her to go full DS or LS.

Frankly, what I would want to see more of is what could happen with Koth: companions who get sick of the player's crap throw the bird and peace out. I think that would be more likely to happen than being able to corrupt or redeem every companion.

I'm not saying that MC of each class should be a Force vampire. However I think a merge of your ideas and mine would be perfect. If you are on good standing with companions I mentioned and are in the particular situation that I mentioned then yes, you should be able to change their alignment and preferences. However If you get on their bad side way too much, then they get pissed off and leave.

Ashara is quite hypocritical in my eyes. She accepts the Dark Side but afterwards, refuses it. But if you act violent or aggressive, she approves. She seems to not able to make up her mind. And in addition if you play as a male she refuses your proposal because the Jedi wouldn't accept it. Why is she still trying to follow the Jedi's rules when she is with a Sith? I can understand trying to bring the the Sith and Jedi code together, but she is still following their narrow dogmatic beliefs almost exclusively. She had the potential to become a Force user akin to Revan. Maybe not as powerful but still to be able to master both sides of the Force. Which is why I think you should have the option to either fully corrupt her or leave her as is.

Edited by IramUnleashed

With Ashara, I guess it depends on the conversation choices you make, but for me, by the end of the class story she was repeating the Sith Code along with the Jedi Code, agreeing specifically with points in the Sith Code and approving of Dark Side choices on Corellia. We had a convo somewhere in Act III where she said something like, "I'm not a Jedi and I'm not a Sith. I'm not sure what that means" which was what my SI had been trying to get her to understand. My SI ended up as a Darth Nox, too, and they still got along very well.

IMHO I liked Ashara a lot better than Jaesa because she did come to this understanding, that things are in shades of gray and that it's possible to be in touch with both sides of the Force and interpret things your way. My SI has a conversation choice with her where she can say "there are as many ways to interpret the Sith Code as there are Sith," and she seems to take that to heart and figure things out. It goes along with what you hear about Ashara if you ask Master Ranos about her.

Whereas Jaesa goes to extremes - she either becomes a psychotic edgelord or she somehow thinks that making improvements in the Empire means that you want to *overthrow* the Empire and exclusively follow the LS.

The one that disappointed me was Xalek, not because of who he is, but because he's only in the SI story for about two seconds. I felt like they could have introduced him a lot sooner.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

I agree. As much as Koth aggravated me in the game, I thought that his story was one of the most potent examples of choices that actually did matter. If he disagrees with the Commander too much, he's out. I really do think that if the companions are treated poorly, they should be able to say, "I'm done. Bye!" and leave. Even in some of the romances you have options to say truly nasty things to your supposed "love interest," and they should be able to say, "you're treating me badly, we're done."

I agree. As much as Koth aggravated me in the game, I thought that his story was one of the most potent examples of choices that actually did matter. If he disagrees with the Commander too much, he's out. I really do think that if the companions are treated poorly, they should be able to say, "I'm done. Bye!" and leave. Even in some of the romances you have options to say truly nasty things to your supposed "love interest," and they should be able to say, "you're treating me badly, we're done."

Back in the day (I wasn't here then) didn't the original class companions have fixed combat roles? They probably couldn't allow your only healer to up and leave because you were mean to him one too many times.

Totally agree that we need more meaningful choices going forward though!

Back in the day (I wasn't here then) didn't the original class companions have fixed combat roles? They probably couldn't allow your only healer to up and leave because you were mean to him one too many times.

Totally agree that we need more meaningful choices going forward though!

Yes, IIRC people have said that is why one couldn't kill Quinn in the Sith Warrior story, he was the healer. Makes sense that others couldn't walk for the same reason. Going forward though, the fact that Koth and Elara Dorne can and do choose not to be with the player if they really disagree with their actions is a good change. And Imho it is definitely good that the companions don't have set roles so you can work with the one you want