Gearing and Leveling, Returning Player

Zylena

Hello all,

I have recently returned to the game, but have encountered an issue that I hope could be pointed in the right direction :)

I have been leveling pretty fast with the XP boost (24 and just barely reached the starter city), so I am confused about gearing. I have the the modifiable armor on my character, but with the leveling I am quickly progressing faster then able to buy the items (enhancements, mods, etc) Should I be concerned, or does the level down help with that?

There was a pack called SWTOR Story Pack Bundle, do I need to purchase this or is being a subscriber enough? I am not sure what story it is for. Also, when does the Dark Vs Light even end?

Thanks to all :)

Hello all,

I have recently returned to the game, but have encountered an issue that I hope could be pointed in the right direction :)

I have been leveling pretty fast with the XP boost (24 and just barely reached the starter city), so I am confused about gearing. I have the the modifiable armor on my character, but with the leveling I am quickly progressing faster then able to buy the items (enhancements, mods, etc) Should I be concerned, or does the level down help with that?

There was a pack called SWTOR Story Pack Bundle, do I need to purchase this or is being a subscriber enough? I am not sure what story it is for. Also, when does the Dark Vs Light even end?

Thanks to all :)

The level sync helps a lot (you can, in effect, buy gear that suits the planet you are on rather than *your* level), but as you gain power from increased stats because of your level and increased effectiveness as your companion's Influence rank increases, even that's not so important. Just have *some* gear. You can even, if you remember to do the H2 missions, get gear in the reward boxes that is matched to your current level, and put your current moddable gear in an Outfit Designer slot if you like its look.

Subscriber status (paid subscription, not 7-day free subscription) is all you need for full access to the game.

The DvL event ends when the 5.0 expansion is released, on 29 November. (I have a dim recollection of someone saying "a week before the release", but I may have that wrong.)

Hello all,

I have recently returned to the game, but have encountered an issue that I hope could be pointed in the right direction

Hi,

welcome back! You came at a time when a new expansion is about to come out which will again change the way gearing works (and also might be end of the game :D ).

Anyway, dont worry at all about gear, just equip what you get from missions, you dont really need to bother anymore as there is level sync, which automatically gives you certain stats and as you said you level with immense speed so you will be level synced every where you go if you follow the story. You will need to worry about gear when you reach lvl 65, not before, trust me, you get bolster in PVP, Flashpoints and even Story Mode operations so really, dont worry about it till 65. At 65 you can furn what ever you want for gear, Heroics, flashpoints, operations etc, you get bolster everywhere so just get a group and enter, everything is nerfed and very easy now so no worries.

Being a sub is enough, you get all the content and sutff the game has.

DvsL ends when the 5.0 early access starts, which is 29th of November.

Edited by jozkopucik

Hi,

Anyway, dont worry at all about gear, just equip what you get from missions, you dont really need to bother anymore as there is level sync, which automatically gives you certain stats and as you said you level with immense speed so you will be level synced every where you go if you follow the story. You will need to worry about gear when you reach lvl 65, not before, trust me, you get bolster in PVP, Flashpoints and even Story Mode operations so really, dont worry about it till 65. At 65 you can furn what ever you want for gear, Heroics, flashpoints, operations etc, you get bolster everywhere so just get a group and enter, everything is nerfed and very easy now so no worries.

This is not entirely correct. Level-sync does NOT give you any stats, it caps your stats at a certain level. If you are running around on Voss in your starter-planet gear, you will NOT get bolstered to lvl 40+ (or whatever). You might not die whit lvl 10 gear on a lvl 40+ planet, because your comp can heal you through the damage (that is, if you not pull several groups of mobs at once), but it will take you ages to kill even a single silver enemy.

Gear does not matter when you level up doing flashpoints or pvp or operations (because of bolster), but it does matter if you level up doing the story or heroics. If you do a lot of heroics, you will get enough gear, so you won't have to think about it. If you level only through questing (class-story, planet-story, side-quests) you should keep your gear up to date (meaning up to the level of the planet you're on, not necessarily your own level).

If for some reason you don't have enough crystalls (or credits for 5.0) to upgrade all your gear, the priority is weapons > armor > leftside-items (earpeace, implants, relics). If I level up through story, I usually upgrade my gear about every 10 levels or simply once the mobs start to die too slowly ;)

Gear does not matter wly ;)

lol mate ok, ill give you an example.

I was doing the achievement for killing the House Organa Guards on Alderran. The only place you can do this is in the Heroic mission where you travel to that destroyed bride up in the sky. You need 200 and in one run you can kill 12 if i remember correctly.

What I did was place my Merc in PVE instance and my other Merc in PVP instance (yes i have 2), this was i did 1 run, killed 12 and then another run killed 12. By the time i finished the run they respawned in the other instance, I mostly arrived and they rewspawned right away. One Merc had full 224 gear, they other had ONLY empty Nico Blasters.

I have been doing the runs with a healing companion and did they AT THE SAME TIME! Like I said, when i swapped toons the mobs just about respawned, it didnt matter that one toon had 224 gear and they other toon didnt have even empty shells (apart from weapons). So if you are gearing your toon while leveling you are wasting credits and crystals. I have leveled countless toons in the game and even during level sync, I have never used any other gear than what you got from drops, even during 12xp when there was no level sync. The lvl 10 gear drops was enough to get you to Makeb at lvl 47 where you got bolster!!

Gear is an illusion in this game, remember that!

lol mate ok, ill give you an example.

I was doing the achievement for killing the House Organa Guards on Alderran. The only place you can do this is in the Heroic mission where you travel to that destroyed bride up in the sky. You need 200 and in one run you can kill 12 if i remember correctly.

What I did was place my Merc in PVE instance and my other Merc in PVP instance (yes i have 2), this was i did 1 run, killed 12 and then another run killed 12. By the time i finished the run they respawned in the other instance, I mostly arrived and they rewspawned right away. One Merc had full 224 gear, they other had ONLY empty Nico Blasters.

I have been doing the runs with a healing companion and did they AT THE SAME TIME! Like I said, when i swapped toons the mobs just about respawned, it didnt matter that one toon had 224 gear and they other toon didnt have even empty shells (apart from weapons). So if you are gearing your toon while leveling you are wasting credits and crystals. I have leveled countless toons in the game and even during level sync, I have never used any other gear than what you got from drops, even during 12xp when there was no level sync. The lvl 10 gear drops was enough to get you to Makeb at lvl 47 where you got bolster!!

Gear is an illusion in this game, remember that!

If you are lvl 65 on a low-lvl planet like Alderaan, your base-stats will be high enough to reach the cap. If however your character would have been the lvl intended for the planet (32-36?) you defenitly would see a difference between lvl 30 gear and no gear at all... I don't say it would be impossible to do, just take longer.

Personally I rather spend a few crystalls every now and then and kill mobs with 2 or 3 hits than to run around in lvl 10 gear and have to hit enemies 5-6 times before they die. But that of course only makes a difference if you're not overleveling the content by 15-20 levels ;)

The DvL event ends when the 5.0 expansion is released, on 29 November. (I have a dim recollection of someone saying "a week before the release", but I may have that wrong.)
They did say something about DvL ending "a week before KotET", but that ws quite a while ago, before they had announced any specific dates for anything. More recently, they have said the DvL event ends the 29th (which is the "Early Release" date for KotET, but only 3 days ahead of the "official" release date of Dec 2), and they will stop counting DS vs LS poitns for the DvL bonus companion on the 27th. Dev posts with this info can be found in the Dev Tracker, but you'll have to go more than a few pages into it to find them.

And what if I decide to participate in Operations prior to lvl 65? I checked the Terminal and it said "recommended for story mode - lvl 208". I have a lvl. 53 character and this basically stopped me from joining in on an Op. Are you guys saying I could have joined with my lvl 138 gear?