Why do people join Dark Side?

Sadishist

Well I suppose that depends on what your definition of protect is.

The New Jedi Order is not the Je'Daii Order.

Er, keep far more people of the Republic alive than there would be if there weren't JedI? And the old order was unsustainable; that's why it broke up.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Er, keep far more people of the Republic alive than there would be if there weren't JedI? And the old order was unsustainable; that's why it broke up.
Yet if there weren't Jedi, there wouldn't be Sith. Which in itself would keep more people alive.

Just as the Jedi Order broke up when the Sith who had been dogging them for thousands of years finally won. At least the Je'Daii Order went for 10,000 years without a hitch, the same cannot be said for the Jedi.

Yet if there weren't Jedi, there wouldn't be Sith. Which in itself would keep more people alive.

Just as the Jedi Order broke up when the Sith who had been dogging them for thousands of years finally won. At least the Je'Daii Order went for 10,000 years without a hitch, the same cannot be said for the Jedi.

Actually, there would be Sith; they existed as an independent culture long before Ajunta Pall came, and they were already deeply steeped in the dark side. They'd be a very different foe, to be sure, but still just as powerful and evil.

And the Jedi Order never broke up, just went underground like the Sith did. And how much did the old order actually do for the Republic?

Actually, there would be Sith; they existed as an independent culture long before Ajunta Pall came, and they were already deeply steeped in the dark side. They'd be a very different foe, to be sure, but still just as powerful and evil.

And the Jedi Order never broke up, just went underground like the Sith did. And how much did the old order actually do for the Republic?

I doubt that, before the Dark Jedi they were a primitive species who couldn't even wield the Force.

It collapsed, plain and simple. The Jedi admit as much in Dark Lord.

Nor does the galaxy revolve around the Republic, but the Force.

I doubt that, before the Dark Jedi they were a primitive species who couldn't even wield the Force.

It collapsed, plain and simple. The Jedi admit as much in Dark Lord.

Nor does the galaxy revolve around the Republic, but the Force.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_magic for starters.

The Sith came up with dark power in their own right. It's true that they were technologically more primitive, but they would advance with time, and presumably be striking at a galaxy with no dedicated Force-using defenders.

And the galaxy might not revolve around the Republic, but it's the galactic government containing the majority of the galaxy's population, which would rather need protectors within the Force.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_magic for starters.

The Sith came up with dark power in their own right. It's true that they were technologically more primitive, but they would advance with time, and presumably be striking at a galaxy with no dedicated Force-using defenders.

And the galaxy might not revolve around the Republic, but it's the galactic government containing the majority of the galaxy's population, which would rather need protectors within the Force.

I don't think the Sith could wield that kind of power, they were in awe of the abilities of the exile's after all. However as I'm sure I have said if the Sith ever posed a threat or were discovered, in their relatively primitive state they could be brought into a greater state of balance, perhaps even trained as Je'Daii. I don't think alone they would be strong enough to threaten the galaxy and the instability of the Force. That and they are know extinct.

Perhaps, but if they are merely protecting them from the threats the very protectors attract, it may not be worth it. Not that a Je'Daii Order could not aid and coexist with the Republic. But balance involves balance in all things, and picking a political idealogy I feel if something the Jedi should not have concerned themselves with.

I don't think the Sith could wield that kind of power, they were in awe of the abilities of the exile's after all. However as I'm sure I have said if the Sith ever posed a threat or were discovered, in their relatively primitive state they could be brought into a greater state of balance, perhaps even trained as Je'Daii. I don't think alone they would be strong enough to threaten the galaxy and the instability of the Force. That and they are know extinct.

Perhaps, but if they are merely protecting them from the threats the very protectors attract, it may not be worth it. Not that a Je'Daii Order could not aid and coexist with the Republic. But balance involves balance in all things, and picking a political idealogy I feel if something the Jedi should not have concerned themselves with.

The Sith couldn't at the time, but they'd grow and develop. And the Sith weren't going to be discovered, they were too far away from the Core Worlds and hyperspace mapping was quite difficult.

And it's true, the Jedi should have simply slaughtered the insurgents instead of exiling them; that was probably the worst mistake the Order ever made. And the Republic would be targeted whether there were Jedi or not; it's in the nature of those who follow the dark side to expand, conquer and kill (the nature of humanity overall, simply exacerbated), the Jedi are just a special target... and the Sith would find others if not the Jedi. Hell, the Jedi may be an effective tank for the Republic, drawing much of the Sith's ire upon a relatively tiny portion of the Republic's population.

The Sith couldn't at the time, but they'd grow and develop. And the Sith weren't going to be discovered, they were too far away from the Core Worlds and hyperspace mapping was quite difficult.

And it's true, the Jedi should have simply slaughtered the insurgents instead of exiling them; that was probably the worst mistake the Order ever made. And the Republic would be targeted whether there were Jedi or not; it's in the nature of those who follow the dark side to expand, conquer and kill (the nature of humanity overall, simply exacerbated), the Jedi are just a special target... and the Sith would find others if not the Jedi. Hell, the Jedi may be an effective tank for the Republic, drawing much of the Sith's ire upon a relatively tiny portion of the Republic's population.

But the whole point is to prevent people from falling from the dark side, ever Sith can trace his roots back to the Jedi. Whether that's through falling directly from them, or been taught by someone who did. The Jedi created and continue to create the Sith threat. Yet with a Je'Daii Order the chances of that happening would be considerably reduced.

And every war between the Jedi and the Sith has engulfed the entire galaxy.

Edited by Beniboybling

But the whole point is to prevent people from falling from the dark side, ever Sith can trace his roots back to the Jedi. Whether that's through falling directly from them, or been taught by someone who did. The Jedi created and continue to create the Sith threat. Yet with a Je'Daii Order the chances of that happening would be considerably reduced.

And every war between the Jedi and the Sith has engulfed the entire galaxy.

The corollary to this is that the only darksiders who are dangerous to the galaxy as a whole are fallen Jedi who can match their former brethren... a situation that did not exist before, with beings like the Rakata. The Jedi policies have concentrated most of the galaxy's Force-sensitives into a single spot, thus cutting off most chances for independent darksiders to cancerously spread through the darker regions of the galaxy. The situation overall seems rather safer to me.

The corollary to this is that the only darksiders who are dangerous to the galaxy as a whole are fallen Jedi who can match their former brethren... a situation that did not exist before, with beings like the Rakata. The Jedi policies have concentrated most of the galaxy's Force-sensitives into a single spot, thus cutting off most chances for independent darksiders to cancerously spread through the darker regions of the galaxy. The situation overall seems rather safer to me.
On the contrary, I think its just that most deeply Force sensitive species have simply died out. Regardless if anything a Je'Daii Order would concentrate even further, as prior it encompassed only those willingly to totally embrace the light, with others slipping from their grasp. A Je'Daii Order would have a wider net so to speak.

I don't see how this would increase the chances of such event happening.

On the contrary, I think its just that most deeply Force sensitive species have simply died out. Regardless if anything a Je'Daii Order would concentrate even further, as prior it encompassed only those willingly to totally embrace the light, with others slipping from their grasp. A Je'Daii Order would have a wider net so to speak.

I don't see how this would increase the chances of such event happening.

So at this point it's wholly conjecture from you. I don't think allowing the dark side any prominence anywhere is worth it.

Also, I replied in that other thread about the Empire.

Ever heard of the Star Cabal?

I have not before now, but they sound interesting. It's just another reason for me to actually go through the agent story line. :)

Name one war the Jedi started.

Also, the Circle was a horrible, stupid idea, and presumably the Star Wars population is smarter than that.

People have already pretty much summed up why this could be thought. And while I don't agree with the Circle, I was just using it as a brutal decision the Republic could make to deal with what many could see as a problem. I would not assume they're smarter, since you know what they say about doing that. :p

I think it would be interesting to see the republic with its own force order, like the imperial knights.

I'm being a realist. It doesn't matter if you remove the Jedi and Sith from the equation, the non-Force users will eventually fight their own wars. We've seen it before- Non-Force sensitive leaders waging all-out genocide on their foes, centuries of conflict, etc.

Just because the Jedi and Sith instigated the more famous and recent wars does not mean that the galaxy would be at peace without them.

That's certainly true, but from the perspective of regular people who can look back and see the causes of these wars there is a pattern to the force-driven ones where the wars outside of the Jedi-Sith conflicts have their own unique circumstances and reasons.

So at this point it's wholly conjecture from you. I don't think allowing the dark side any prominence anywhere is worth it.

Also, I replied in that other thread about the Empire.

There is no prominence in balance. But I'd rather a dark side in check than one allowed to run rampant.

And yeah, I'll get to that. :p

Usually before I even roll a new character, and for this matter for any RPG, I create a story, a background what kind of person I'm going to be, as playing RPGs, including SWTOR is for me fist about story then about the mechanics of a video game.

But what depends on my mood, recent experiences or maybe an inspiration I got by a book, a movie or even an other video game character that is now wandering around my mind.

My avatar may got to be a light in the darkness, a Paladin, so good, so uncompromising in his fight against evil that his eventual lack for mercy and redemption blurs the line between good and the evil he is trying to fight so hard.

Or I choose to play someone that was the victim of a violent crime in his childhood. In his way to cope with the trauma, to protect himself from further harm he started to hurt people first before they had a chance to hurt him. As he grew up he lost all ability to feel happiness, to the point where if he see others happy he feels pain instead. Now there is only an empty shell of hate. Although his struggle for power is in the end just the attempt of this little abused child, so afraid that he barley gets through the night.

Edited by Dragoon-

Again, there are gaps of thousands of years between all the major wars. That's a pretty poor magnet, if I say so myself. The Jedi do a lot of work in stopping wars before they start; also, the Republic doesn't always seem to have a standing army.

And the use of emotions healthily is just the light side again. And guess what, the Sith attacked them anyway.

I seemed to have missed the part about the whole "There is no emotion, there is peace" part of the Jedi code. The problem with the Jedi, is that they revolve their whole lives around a philosophy that is near impossible to conform to. Simply put, the modern code is broken, the original code was better.

I seemed to have missed the part about the whole "There is no emotion, there is peace" part of the Jedi code. The problem with the Jedi, is that they revolve their whole lives around a philosophy that is near impossible to conform to. Simply put, the modern code is broken, the original code was better.

The modern code teaches clarity of mind and spirit. Direct yourself to the teachings of Odan-Urr, the movies, or some of the Republic comics.

Let's get real here, any doctrine is broken when taken out the library into the real word.

Edited by Jandi

The modern code teaches clarity of mind and spirit. Direct yourself to the teachings of Odan-Urr, the movies, or some of the Republic comics.

I'm aware of that, Xilizhra stated that positive emotions were a light side thing (To which I agree). However the line "There is no emotion, there is peace", is a very straightforward statement. The Jedi council of the Clone Wars had determined that all emotions were bad, thus leading to Anakin having to hide his marriage and love for Padme from them. If the council had never banned positive emotions, I can assure you Darth Vader would have never existed.

I understood you at first but after reading some of the posts I was confused as to if this was a discussion of Jedi / Sith ideology.

Personally I believe that Light side Sith and Fallen Jedi are traitors to their cause as they abandoned what they once stood for.

But when it comes to Light and Dark many mistaken Fallen Jedi for Sith.

Choosing the Dark Side is not the easier path as some may think.

Because the Dark Side of the Force seeks to dominate corrupt and control those that heed its call.

The evidence can be seen (at least on a physical level) by the corruption of the dark side of the force.

Many Sith have been consumed by the own power, unable to let it go. Even in death.

So to those that say the Dark Side is easier.

I ask who is the real Master?

Is it the power they wield or the one that wields the power.

So why choose the Dark Side?

It depends on your point of view.

I have always been dark side (Sith Warrior) I hear of but never experienced what those of the Light consider virtues.

The Light is an invader. Something that disturbs my blessed solitude and an enemy to be extinguished.

I have never hidden what I was and seek new challenges Jedi or Sith.

Fallen Jedi are a disgrace because they abandoned the Light they once possessed that could challenge me and descended to the level of an acolyte with the martial prowess of a Jedi.

Safeguard the Empire and continue to test myself.

Forgiveness and mercy is something Jedi and Light side people practice.

But is giving someone another chance to betray or kill you wise?