Why is Esseles hardmode so much harder than Black Talon hardmode?

I have two level 50 characters one Empire and one Republic on the server crevasse city after completing both Esseles and Black Talon it shows Esseles is extremely difficult in comparison to Black Talon. Black Talon can be three manned and Esseles can barely be four manned. :mad: It is not just this but a lot of the flashpoints are easier on the empire side. Edited by notyouraccount

I don't know why Bioware chose to tune it this way; when people without prior experience hit 50, they naturally think of BT/Esseles as an HM starting point. It was the first flashpoint in the game after all, and a super-easy Group 2 at that. Surely it's the logical place to start progression, right? And it is... in the case of Black Talon.

But Ironfist says "lolno" to Republic players and slaps them into the ground. They are nerfing him in 1.3 though.

I have almost full Rakata on both characters and it is still tough trying to kill Ironfist, it was the first time I had ever fought him and I was shocked on how hard he was. I'm just glad to hear they are nerfing him because it was completely unbalanced.

Also for those who didnt notice, Esseles you cannot use your speeder at all, but on Black Talon you can use it all the time. This is quite unbalanced if you ask me.

Yeah, this is something that has really annoyed me about Esseles.

Black Talon HM is faceroll compared to Esseles HM, yeah.

Also for those who didnt notice, Esseles you cannot use your speeder at all, but on Black Talon you can use it all the time. This is quite unbalanced if you ask me.

The weird thing about it that it's a relatively recent change; I think it came with 1.2 or later. You used to be able to use your speeder throughout the Esseles but not anymore. I don't really know why.

I still don't understand why Ironfist is considered the hardest boss there btw. Lieutenant Isric was way harder - although by the looks of it he's been nerfed. Ironfist was and still is all about interrupting headshot. Those who take three commandos to the fight have my sympathies but otherwise they should be able to interrupt every single one of those headshots.

Are you not interrupting Ironfist?

If you interrupt headshot that fight is very, very easy. If you do not, then yeah it gets to be pretty hard.

I just did Irofist with a newish level 50 Vanguard tank. Ironfist didn't even get to headshot. He hit the tank with his insta abilities for 9K and then 6K within about 2 seconds. He never stood a chance.

I agree there is a great discrepancy in difficulty between the two flashpoints.

However, the face-roll hard mode on rep side Taral V, is considerably easier than its imperial counterpart Boarding Party, whose last boss - granted, it's been awhile since i last played imperial and it may have changed - could for a long time be only cleared through an exploit or an uber-healer. So, in the end, it all balances out.

Because BW had trouble balancing things. There I said the truth (please don't hit me with the mod hammer:o)

On a related topic, they've admitted there was an issue and I just did HM Esseles in a 2-man on the PTS, so clearly he was A LOT easier. So I guess Esseles HM will be the same as HM BT once 1.3 is enacted.

It's seriously over-estimation. Esseless hard mode, like most of the other hard modes in this game (minus Lost Island) can easily be achieved with a 4-Man group as long as you pay a bit of attention to the mechanic.

If Headshot is interrupted, and if the missiles salvo is not hitting all the dps, there is a lot of room to do this Hard mode in Daily mods-gear, which is how it should be.

We've been 2-manning Esseless HM (with a mix of Columi/Rakata), and many others have. Asking for all encounters to be under-tuned will quickly make them boring and will eventually hurt the player base a lot, which we don't need.

Like any fight with an interrupt mechanic required, you're increasing the change of failure for each commando you bring along. That's what frustrates me. If I go into HM Esseles as a rakata geared commando to help a guildie...there's *still* nothing I can do to help insure they survive this fight aside DPSing. (You might argue "off heal", but the healing is paltry compared to the headshot damage.)

It's seriously over-estimation. Esseless hard mode, like most of the other hard modes in this game (minus Lost Island) can easily be achieved with a 4-Man group as long as you pay a bit of attention to the mechanic.

If Headshot is interrupted, and if the missiles salvo is not hitting all the dps, there is a lot of room to do this Hard mode in Daily mods-gear, which is how it should be.

We've been 2-manning Esseless HM (with a mix of Columi/Rakata), and many others have. Asking for all encounters to be under-tuned will quickly make them boring and will eventually hurt the player base a lot, which we don't need.

That is simply not true. Even without the headshotz all his abilities hit for 6k+ on a geared tank. Fresh 50 tanks get GCDed.

That is simply not true. Even without the headshotz all his abilities hit for 6k+ on a geared tank. Fresh 50 tanks get GCDed.

Flurry of bolts hit hard, yes, for up to 6K not absorbed, but all level 50 tanks spec have defensive abilities, and should have Daily mods on orange gear. It's even how Bioware describes the progression curve at level 50. First get some gear from daily, start the easier HM, and then jump to harder ones till you're ready for stuff like LI HM.

It would make no sense what so ever if you could just go and farm all hard modes in level 45 green gear, which is eventually what will happen if people continues whining because "omg that's too hard".

I've seen Ironfist being tanked by dps countless of times, and I've myself tanked him as a dps. You just need to know when the burst will happen, use your defensive CD, and hence and repeat. It's an harder fight than T5 I won't deny, but my point is that it's called hard mode for a reason, and certainly not to be farmed in green gear.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, it is HARD mode... Ha ha, kidding. Now, in all seriousness, Taral V hard mode is more of the mirror for BT HM. that should help.

Well thanks so much for your thoughtful helpful response!! Maybe someone else has some wisdom about the mechanics on the last boss?

Because BW had trouble balancing things. There I said the truth (please don't hit me with the mod hammer:o)

I think they chose right - to do a few flashpoints with different mechanics for different factions. For me it's an (the only actually) to want to play both sides.

With different mechanics usually comes different difficulty.

And as someone already said, just because both FP were available at level 10 doesn't mean that the hard mode versions mirror each other.