Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lady_Thorne
07.25.2018 , 04:11 PM | #6141
This week is a follow-up to last week's Looking Back story, and eventually gets back to Looking Back this time, too. I had to just keep going on that train of thought!

The events following a short side trip to Nar Shadda, to fulfill a companion mission ... (This "spoiler" is actual content info, not part of the story.)
Spoiler

Actual new content:
Lt. Maioni Savage - Trooper/Vanguard
First conversation is lifted directly from one set of options from a companion cut-scene.

Spoiler

frauzet
07.28.2018 , 12:58 PM | #6142
*waves*

Week of July 27, 2018

Treat Yourself: Indulge! What’s a treat for your character? Food, a spa day, a movie/theater/holovid/musical? Surely they have something they love to do that they maybe don’t do often, something that makes them feel good about themselves. We torture our characters enough. This week do something nice for them.

This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

This week’s featured previous prompts are:

Promotions– As characters advance through their stories, they often advance in their (fictional) organizations as well. Has your character gotten a promotion? Was it deserved? Did higher-ups pass over someone more qualified, or did your character work hard for their advancement? Additional responsibilities usually accompany a new position, how does your character handle them? Did they receive any extra training or were they thrown in the deep end? Did things work out for them? Are they pleased with their promotion or do they wish they could go back? Is it, as many things, a mixed bag? This week, give your character a promotion and see what they do.

…Like No One’s Watching - When we’re alone we often indulge ourselves in things that might embarrass us if others knew. Bad music, bad dancing, whatever it is, we’d be pretty mortified if someone caught us. This time, write about your character’s secret indulgences - and how they react when it’s discovered.
Author of "Trouble, Destiny and Other Complications" and the AU "Caught"
Participant of the "Short Fic Weekly Challlenge Thread!"
All my stories from TDaOC and SFWC in chronological order

Lady_Thorne
07.28.2018 , 01:32 PM | #6143
Quote: Originally Posted by frauzet View Post
*waves*
<Waves back>

I am so glad I did not kill this thread.

Lord_Thorne
07.30.2018 , 03:46 AM | #6144
Prompt: Indulge!

Spoiler
Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy.
"The incomprehensibility of your statement in no way validates it." (HK-51)
"I'm a lump with a bad attitude! Honor! Misplaced loyalty! Grr!" (Z0-OM)

frauzet
08.04.2018 , 08:51 AM | #6145
Quote: Originally Posted by Lady_Thorne View Post
<Waves back>

I am so glad I did not kill this thread.
No worries
I assume I am not the only one who is just even more busy during summer...

Nonetheless I'll take the time to post the new prompt from over on Tumblr, with a huge 'Thank you!' to Striges for providing us with a prompt every week. <3

August isn’t a Month of Meta, but it does have a theme: Friends.

No, not the show.

This week’s SFWC prompt:

Week of August 3, 2018

Friends: Our characters collect any number of friends and helpers during their adventures. In fact, few characters can do without friends. They’re part of what makes a story vibrant and alive. Friends don’t have to be sycophants; they can (and probably should) disagree with your character about things. Things that matter, not easy things like favorite foods or colors. Friends and companions breathe life into your character’s story. This week, write something where one of your character’s friends has an important role as well.

This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

Borders: In essence, borders are nothing more than imaginary lines between properties or political entities. Crossing the border might be little more than opening a gate or stamping a passport. It could be an all-day affair with questioning and bribery if the parties involved are hostile to each other. In space or a remote area, there are lots of opportunity for skirmishes. Someone thought the border was a light week over. The navicomp or maps are out of date and need calibrating. The patrol was supposed be gone by now. Those military exercises were planned for our side but someone got trigger happy. Transgressions could be real and deliberate, real and manufactured, or honest mistakes. This week, write about your character crossing a border, and what happened when they did.

Not My Holiday - The Western world celebrates Christmas and the New Year but no holiday is universal, even on Earth. Are your character’s holidays in line with the culture they live in? Do they celebrate something different at a time no one else does? Do they feel left out on either occasion? Their reasons don’t have to be cultural; they might associate bad experiences with a popular holiday or good ones with something obscure. There are stories in any of the permutations. Write one.

Lady_Thorne
08.08.2018 , 11:32 PM | #6146
Prompt: Friends
Title: No Time for Sergeants (nothing to do with the movie)
Characters: Cadet Maioni Savage and her roomie, Hiero (Both roughly 18 years old)
Date: ~ 4-5 years ATC

Spoiler

About Hiero
Spoiler

frauzet
08.09.2018 , 12:15 PM | #6147
@Lady_Thorne: Even best friends need to pursue their own dreams. Looking forward to seeing them meet again.

frauzet
08.11.2018 , 11:57 AM | #6148
This week’s SFWC prompt:

Week of August 10, 2018

Friends to Lovers: This one is almost a given in many stories. Many people enjoy reading (or writing) a story where the characters find their friendship growing into something more intimate. Whether it’s a coffee shop romance a super-slow-burn fic, write characters going from friends to lovers this week.

What’s In A Name - Names are special, they almost always have some meaning behind them. First names, family names, nicknames - none of them are ever arbitrary. Write a story explaining a name given to your character or a companion, whether it’s their personal name, nickname, or alias.

Rites of Passage - Sort of related to the cultural theme, there are tons of different rites of passage our characters go through. Some are common across cultures, like weddings. Some are specific to a culture, like coming-of-age ceremonies. And sometimes they are just an internal realization that your life has changed. Feel free to take this in any direction you would like.

Lady_Thorne
08.14.2018 , 03:06 AM | #6149
I may respond to a different prompt later this week, but I had a lot of fun writing this piece. I had thought through some of the broad strokes of the background long ago, but never fussed with the details about how this particular conversation and scene went until tonight.

Prompt: Rites of Passage (one of many, I suppose, but certainly a turning point for Mai)
Characters: Maioni Savage, age 9 and a Republic Captain (age mid-30s, because of course, the 9 year old had asked at some point...)
Setting: an undisclosed military facility, roughly 3657 BBY / a couple years before the Sacking of Coruscant.

Spoiler

RatchetGuyClanks
08.15.2018 , 04:01 PM | #6150
@Lady_Thorne I wouldn't want to get in Maioni's way, lol.

Hello, everyone, by the way! I used to post on here probably around 2013 or 2014. I have been getting back into SWTOR and have wanted to write some fan fic around the characters that I have been playing. Hope you all enjoy it!

SPOILER WARNING:
The ENTIRETY of the Smuggler storyline. This story takes place literally before the final two missions of the storyline in Chapter 3. I also mention side quests on the Republic side of Corellia.

Challenge: Friends to Lovers
Characters: Risha (Human Female) and Nayvallen (Mirialan Male)

Spoiler