Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Mirdthestrill
09.07.2015 , 09:11 PM | #5741
So I'm taking a bit of a break from Mallena and Jess this week. The inspiration just wasn't flowing for the second part so I decided to do something else instead. My next post should continue (finish off? Not sure) that little arc.

Title: Cooking up Conversation
Prompt: Food
Characters: Eyrie Lancaster (Jedi Knight), Feyte Saien (Jedi Consular)
Length: 650 words
Spoilers: Reference to end of Jedi Knight Act I

Index after Wire

Spoiler

Author's Note:

Spoiler
I <3 alts!

Feldraeth
09.11.2015 , 12:50 AM | #5742
Hey everyone, slightly wary over this piece since it goes further than teenagers imo.

Comments
Spoiler

Prompt: Touch, Culture Shock, Violence is the only option (<-not a fan of the wording in this context)
Title: Whatever Happens on the Smuggler’s Moon
Perspective: Torian Cadera
Word Count: 3,079
Spoilers: a minor character from a certain companion’s story

Warning: this contains nudity, male and female, a lot of talk about sex, foreplay and the start of a sex act. The latter two are separately spoilered. It also has some astoundingly misogynistic views. If anyone has any problems with it, tell me (in the thread or as a PM) and I’ll take it down. I couldn’t get someone else to check it in time, so there will likely be Orwellian edits when she gets around to reading it.

Non-triggering summary (sans spoilers)
Gault takes Torian to Nar Shaddaa, where Torian shares an intimate connection with a certain twi’lek and then karks it up.

Spoiler

This is the one you may wish to skip
Spoiler

Some time later
Spoiler

Notes
Spoiler

Striges
09.11.2015 , 06:44 AM | #5743
Schedule changed again, apologies for posing late.

Week of September 11, 2015
Change of Venue-Few characters--or stories--stay in one place. Your character moves from familiar places and things to new and strange ones. Does your character relish the excitement of change, or do they prefer the predictable? What do they do when they have to move, regardless of preference? This week, pick a new place for your character to be, or write about how they got there.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489991post=3 (yes, we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining these lists.

This week's featured NotLP:
Discovery - In our characters' journeys, we make some surprising discoveries. Sometimes they're things about ourselves or our friends, other times they're discoveries about the world around us. Either way, they usually take us by surprise. Suggested by Crezelle.

Marketing - Somebody’s always trying to sell our characters something. Ads, promotions, coupons, flashy events, and more try to attract footsteps and wallets. Sometimes our characters are trying to sell something – be it services, unwanted equipment, or a cargo hold’s worth of hot merchandise. Besides all that, somebody’s got to be the face of advertising campaigns. Sometimes the advertising is right on and sometimes it’s…exaggerated. Write about your character’s experience with marketing.

Got an idea for a prompt? Send me a pm!

almostinsane
09.12.2015 , 07:13 PM | #5744
Prompt: Religious Differences
Title: Brothers
Characters: Captain Teague (Smuggler), Zantel (Jedi Consulor)
Word Count: 935
Spoilers: Minor Spoilers for Act III of the Smuggler Storyline

Spoiler

It's been awhile since I posted anything. I just resubbed. If anyone can catch all the references I've made in this, they get a free cookie.

Feldraeth
09.16.2015 , 12:51 AM | #5745
Hi everyone, I’m still here despite my best efforts. I’ve been sitting on this one for a while and debating whether to release it, not because of the content. Instead, it potentially spoils some of the metaplot.

Comment
Spoiler

Prompt: NOTLP: DIscovery, Confessions, Remembrance, What’s in a name
Title: First Encounters
Perspective: Lord Braca of the Sphere of Biotic Science
Word Count: 4,109
Spoilers: general Korriban locations, The Dromund Kaas Stronghold (<- at this rate I’ll have to put it up on TOR-decorating just so things make sense)
Chronology: about two and a half hours after In with the New, Evening Plans and Her Master’s Servant

Spoiler

Notes
Spoiler

almostinsane
09.16.2015 , 07:57 PM | #5746
@Feldraeth Thank you for your comments. I liked your story. I can't say I'm too familiar with the overall storyline for your particular character, but I have to say that the speaker is a good storyteller and the fic allowed me to gather some details about your character to help me imagine her without the description being out of place.

Bultitudes_Loke
09.17.2015 , 08:55 AM | #5747
Hey all. I've been wrestling back and forth with this offering, so I've decided to simply stop tinkering and post for your thoughts. Thanks to everyone for their comments on Part I.

Replies:
Spoiler

Title: A Beginning, and an Ending (Part II)
Prompts: (in no particular order) Advice, Rites of Passage, Family, Worst Day Ever, Sacrifice, Teachers and Heroes, Description.
Word Count: Roughly 4,200
Character: Padawan Arkurul (JK), Initiate Ahenobarb (SW)
(Plus: Master Tar Amick (JC), Nox Rahal (padawan), Master Rosalia Banick (JK) )
Setting: Coruscant (just before the Sack)
Spoilers: None. Unless you're unaware of the Sacking of Coruscant… This is head-canon for my JK’s background before he arrives on Tython.

Author's Note: I have used the 'Deceived' trailer as the basis for much of the action scenes in this, but I freely admit to having taken a certain amount of creative license with the size of both the Jedi Temple and the Sith attack... however I don't think I've gone too crazy with it - looking forward to your comments though

Spoiler

Striges
09.18.2015 , 06:02 AM | #5748
Week of September 18, 2015
Fasting or Going Hungry - A character may go without food for a number of reasons: poverty, crash dieting, disciplines of faith or duty, declining weird alien food, forgetting to restock, or even forgetting to eat. What about your character? When have they experienced hunger? Was it intentional or accidental? Why? We had prompts for taste as well as favorite foods. This week, consider the opposite.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489991post=3 (we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining the prompt archive and story index here.

This week's featured NotLPs:
Signed, Sealed, and Delivered - Our universes see a lot of contracts made, whether verbal gentlemen’s agreements, electronic documents, or witnessed formal pacts. Sometimes contracts are entered into willingly; sometimes they’re coerced. Sometimes they’re broken; sometimes they’re protected against outside challenges. Sometimes old agreements come back at an unexpected time. Write about a contract your character made or avoided.

Catching Up - Pretty much all of our characters have pasts that might catch up with them in the future. Sometimes that's not a good thing, like seeing an old enemy. Sometimes it's great, when an old friend comes to help you when you need it. Either way, it's bound to be interesting.

Striges
09.25.2015 , 06:34 AM | #5749
Knights of the Fallen Empire gameplay preview today and tomorrow on TwitchTV as part of TwitchCon 2015. Maybe there will be some story preview too.

Week of September 25, 2015
Looking Forward/Anticipation - There’s always something new on the horizon, be it an opportunity, an event, or even just a well-earned rest. What is your character looking forward to? What do they anticipate happening? Are they excited? Anxious? A little of both? Something else entirely? What future thing or event is your character eagerly awaiting?

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489991post=3 (we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining the prompt archive and story index here.

This week's featured NotLPs:
Celebration - There are many things to celebrate in life: from weddings to birthdays to holidays. Write about a celebration your character has been a part of. Prompt suggested by SveinEternity.
Synchronicity - Sometimes coincidences happen up close and sometimes they happen lightyears away. Sometimes it’s a plan clicking into place and sometimes it’s totally unintended. Sometimes it makes things seem like they’re meant to be…sometimes it makes it seem like they’re really not. Write about a time very similar events happened to your characters at the same time and possibly at a distance.

Got an idea for a prompt? Send me a pm!

Feldraeth
09.27.2015 , 02:53 AM | #5750
Hi everyone, sorry it’s late. I was going to post this on Wednesday, but I misplaced my security key, like an idiot.

Comment
@Bultitudes Loke: Let’s See, a few comments because there’s a lot to cover.
Spoiler

Prompt: Change in Venue, Fasting or Going Hungry
Title: Aboard the Mandalorians’ ship
Perspective: Tarmin, Knight of the old Republic
Word Count: 1,908
Spoilers: None
Chronology: after Waking a sleeping Jetii
EDIT: After reading through this again, I don't think it needs the warning at all. However, it did need some reworking at the start (because some of it was bl**dy awful)

Spoiler