Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

frauzet
10.01.2014 , 12:50 PM | #5241
Comments and replies:
Spoiler
Author of "Trouble, Destiny and Other Complications" and the AU "Caught"
Participant of the "Short Fic Weekly Challlenge Thread!"
All my stories from TDaOC and SFWC in chronological order

frauzet
10.01.2014 , 12:58 PM | #5242
Prompt - Words of Wisdom
Title - Gemstones
Class - BH (Thorns), SW (Ciner), IA (Smilo) & Thorns’ target
Words - ~1600
Spoilers - Black Talon

Takes place after ‘The Arms of Intelligence’.

Time to meet the target of the special job Thorns got from Kilran.

I am not sure the story doesn’t miss the point of the prompt, but the prompt had a huge impact on the telling of this part.
Spoiler

Note:
Spoiler

DomiSotto
10.01.2014 , 04:17 PM | #5243
@Frauzet

Spoiler

@Jokad

Gonna miss you! It’s sad that people lose access when the sub expired. Wish they allowed access for Preferred!

Spoiler

Hadeedak
10.02.2014 , 02:39 PM | #5244
So, it's been one of those weeks, and both AKHadeed and I have managed to get behind on reading and writing. We're coming back, though, we promise!

Comments!

Spoiler

So, here's my contribution, aimed at last week's prompt: Fish Out of Water. Taking place as the most recent story, I am dovetailing into the beginnings of AKHadeed's story of the missing Twi'lek, so Zeedor is still recovering from the beating he took on Florrum.

Spoiler

Striges
10.03.2014 , 06:26 AM | #5245
I’ve received a couple more ideas for meta-prompts, so it’s time for another Month of Meta. These prompts are less about situations your character might be in, and more about how you create those scenarios before beginning writing. This first meta is from AKHadeed.

Week of October 3, 2014
Description: In the Short Fiction Weekly Challenge, we generally leap right into our characters, relying on quick sketches and familiarity to carry a reader. After all, that's how short stories usually work. How about we take a step back and really describe a character. How do they look? What kind of mannerisms do they have that a casual observer might notice? How do they dress? Go nuts giving a detailed description of what you'd see, looking at one or more of your characters.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489991post=3 (we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining the prompt archive and story index here.

This week's featured NotLP:
To Market, To Market - To tread close to a game mechanic, or perhaps just to enrich/contextualize what game stuff we see: The Cartel Market brings tons of unique weapons, speeders, pets, funny-looking gear, and more to our in-game characters. Do any of those items have a story?

Got an idea for a prompt? Send me a pm!

Charmedseed
10.05.2014 , 04:16 PM | #5246
@frauzet: Your follow up comment made me laugh probably more than it should have. Damn smug Sith!

@Hadeedak: As a side-note to your setting, I once discovered a jar of urine in the dressing room of a Goodwill. Zeedor got lucky.

Here's my contribution for Description. It was part of a draft I'd started about Aitahea being chosen as a Padawan, and then I sort of left it at the wayside. I think I might come back at this one at some point and contrast Aitahea and her sister, Tember. It's like thisshort, but it's there.

Spoiler

frauzet
10.06.2014 , 02:49 PM | #5247
Comments and replies:
Spoiler

For the current prompt I experimented and chose first person perspective.

Prompt - Description
Title - No Need to be Afraid
Class - None (Iolith), IA (Smilo), SI (Rufuro), BH (Thorns), SW (Ciner)
Words - ~1400
Spoilers - Black Talon

Another POV on the end of ‘Gemstones’.
Spoiler

DomiSotto
10.07.2014 , 04:08 PM | #5248
Comments first, of course!

@Frauzet

Spoiler

@Charmedseed

Spoiler

@Hadeedak

Spoiler

Okay, this week's prompt submission: Metagaming Description

Title: One Night When I Were Tired....
Spoilers: None
Character: Tageren

Spoiler

Striges
10.10.2014 , 06:22 AM | #5249
This week in Month of Meta, something a little weirder:

Week of October 10, 2014
Crossovers and Mashups: Imagine Captain America in the Clone Wars (Captain Republic and the Howling Commandos! Captain Empire!). Or the adventures of Han Solo, dashing rogue, and his best friend Chewbacca the genius-inventor-gorilla in a steampunk galaxy far far away. Padmé as Sleeping Beauty. Star Wars, the soap opera. Star Wars itself is a hodgepodge of bits and influences from ancient mythology, old-time serials, modern sci-fi, and everything in between. Explore some crossovers with other properties or genres and either OCs or canon characters.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489991post=3 (yes, we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining these lists.

This week's featured NotLP:
Oh, Well That's Awkward - The class stories are full of interesting coincidences, especially when you take all the companion stories into account. Legacies, as part of the game structure, encourage even more strange situations and relations. So, what’s something about your characters’ legacy or story that makes family get-togethers interesting. Or impossible. Or just really unlikely.

Got an idea for a prompt? Send me a pm!

frauzet
10.14.2014 , 03:45 PM | #5250
@DomiSotto: Nice to see you go through character creation. The 'republic equivalent of Malavai Quinn' made me laugh.

Here is the next part of my Black Talon arc.

Prompt - Laws and Governance, Life and Death
Title - Wrong Choice
Class - None (Iolith), BH (Thorns), SW (Ciner), IA (Smilo), SI (Rufuro)
Words - ~1760
Spoilers - none

Takes places after ‘No Need to be Afraid
Spoiler