Is it possible that the recent patch actually *fixed* the memory leak?

old_benn

Bear in mind, I've only got a sample size of 1. So I'm probably wrong about this. But I just played for over 2 hours and logged in and out of several toons, and played for an extended time on Corellia. Usually, I'm lucky to get an hour and a half without getting a CTD. And if I switch toons repeatedly? Forget it, I CTD in 30-45 minutes. Corellia is a memory hog, and usually makes things worse too.

So doing all those things together, and never CTD? My jaw hit the floor.

Did I just get lucky? Or did the recent patch actually help the memory leak situation?

I think you just got lucky. Or I am very *un*lucky.

I still ctd a lot. I can go about 3, maybe 4 warzones and then I'll crash.

Logging in and out of characters hastens the crash still.

So no fix my end, and it's been like this since 1.4 - I dearly wish they'd do something about it!

QS :(

A part of the CTD seems to have been solved, however I seem to be getting more server disconnects and THEN CTD, instead of straight CTD :p

Well a server disconnect is most likely a result of something wrong with your isp, or the server itself(the latter of which can easily be checked if lots of people are disconnecting on the server). A server disconnect then CTD is very likely independent of the CTD these people have experienced.

Well a server disconnect is most likely a result of something wrong with your isp, or the server itself(the latter of which can easily be checked if lots of people are disconnecting on the server). A server disconnect then CTD is very likely independent of the CTD these people have experienced.

Unfortunately not so.

Ever since the server merges, I still frequently get server disconnects and sometimes CTD after.

Happening to one person you can make your argument. But its happening to too many people for it to be independent and something wrong on the user end.

Unfortunately not so.

Ever since the server merges, I still frequently get server disconnects and sometimes CTD after.

Happening to one person you can make your argument. But its happening to too many people for it to be independent and something wrong on the user end.

I'm not quite sure how your statement makes a server disconnect any more likely to be a result of a memory leak.

No one said it was directly because of the memory leak - the flow of conversation just took us in the direction of server disconnects

My statements are intended to indicate that the CTDs being experienced by that poster are likely a different problem than the ones experienced by the other posters(which is exactly how I used the word independent in my post). A common problem on these forums is that similar symptoms are often lobbed together, making it more difficult to discern a root cause.

• Dev Post

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to pop in and confirm that we definitely made some improvements to these issues in our latest update. However, we aren't where we need to be yet and we are still working to make even more improvements.

Glad to see these issues have been resolved though for some of you folks.

-eric

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to pop in and confirm that we definitely made some improvements to these issues in our latest update. However, we aren't where we need to be yet and we are still working to make even more improvements.

-eric

Thanks for the reply (and thank you for the noticeably increased BW presence all around)! I'm glad to hear that it's possible that my improved experience might not be just a one-time thing. :)

And I'm glad that more work will continue to happen towards this issue. Because while I did not CTD, I did experience a rather significant frame rate drop over time. Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have decreased frame rate than experience a CTD. But I do hope that such improvements are still on their way.

Thank you, and nice job BW!

Edited by old_benn

Since i Upgraded to windows 8 recently I have had no memory issues, i still get the random "where did the game go" moments but all in all windows 8's extreme control over system resources helped alot. So hoping with the additional changes they made it will be even more stable now.

Hey everyone!

-eric

Awesome, though.... your continued work on the back-end structure and platform is greatly appreciated.

Since i Upgraded to windows 8 recently I have had no memory issues, i still get the random "where did the game go" moments but all in all windows 8's extreme control over system resources helped alot. So hoping with the additional changes they made it will be even more stable now.

What is this "extreme control over system resources" of which you speak?

I was under the impression that Win8 was a mega hog of resources with all the useless features that are tablet/phone friendly but not PC friendly...

Educate me.

Hey everyone!

-eric

I can confirm as a long time sufferer of the latency drops that this issue has vastly improved for my gameplay.

My thanks to the techs who rolled up their sleeves and tackled this issue.

I was under the impression that Win8 was a mega hog of resources with all the useless features that are tablet/phone friendly but not PC friendly...

Educate me.

1. "extreme control" is in Win8. Do some research, suggest MaximumPC mag for a good start.

2. "mega hog" it is not.

3. "useless features" are restricted to the new "Start" page, which you can turn off with one of many programs out there, I use ClassicShell and never see the "Start" page unless I want.

Hey everyone!

-eric

Wait Im confused. You guys have been telling people for months that the issue is on our end and advising us to contact our ISP. Are you now saying that the issue is on your end, and that you have improved it, yet are still working the issue?

My statements are intended to indicate that the CTDs being experienced by that poster are likely a different problem than the ones experienced by the other posters(which is exactly how I used the word independent in my post). A common problem on these forums is that similar symptoms are often lobbed together, making it more difficult to discern a root cause.

Actually your statements in multiple threads indicate that you like acting like a know it all and love to lord it over others, but I digress.

Educate me.

So much misinformation. Win 8 is the fastest Windows ever. It boots in 5 seconds for me, and you can completely disable/hide the metro menu. Mine looks just like Win7 but its twice as fast with startup.

Ah yes boot up times. Mui mui importante.

Cos when you're about to waste 4 hours of your life playing video games you wanna make damn sure you shave off those 10 seconds at startup. We ain't getting any younger after all.

Edited by aeterno

Still the major issue for me. If I make 3 planet changes or toon hop 4-5 times...boom and c2d. I can play 3-4 hours straight in a couple OP without a crash but I have to have a fresh game start to make sure. Memory leak since 1.4 and before that...no issues with game stability. My friends in other areas play and have the exact same issues so it is not the ISP...it's Biofail. Edited by Darkwords

Is this with a SSD?

I am using a SSD on mine but the boot times are minor really. The thing I am more impressed with is the speed of the operating system and the control. With win 7 and vista after 4 hours the game would have 6 gb of memory used. With 8 it changes but most of the time never shows more than a gb used. The metro UI is a pain but after a month or so I have gotten use to it and actually use it. The operating system is able to support a larger array of programs all running at the same time. I am using the 64bit version.