Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Charmedseed
11.01.2014 , 09:43 PM | #5271
Comments! You guys are so awesome.

Spoiler

AKHadeed
11.02.2014 , 10:29 PM | #5272
Spoiler

Comments! Depressingly sparse, unfortunately.
Spoiler

I've got something I've been tweaking as a kind of idle activity writey thing that'll go up after I give it one more onceover. Maybe in two pieces. And I know for a fact Zeedor's in about the same boat.

Mirdthestrill
11.03.2014 , 09:42 PM | #5273
Comments:
Spoiler

I promised a squeal to my Graduation Day piece a long time ago, and here it is, finally!

I'm also skipping a prompt in my "use all the prompts" quest. I have a plan for using it, but I need to get a little further in a certain companion' s storyline to make sure things turn out the way I think they will.

Title: Graduated Fallout
Prompt: What's In a Name?
Characters: Jessasi Silver (Smuggler)
Length: 900 words
Spoilers: None

Takes place 4 years and 9 months before the start of the Smuggler class story. Index just after Graduation Day

Spoiler

Note:
Spoiler

I seem to recall being too busy during the description prompt week to get one done, but I really, really love describing my characters, so here's Feyte's way-too-detailed bit.

Title: Feyte Saien, Bar'senthor
Prompt: Description
Length: 200 words
Spoilers: Jedi Consular endgame rank

Spoiler
I <3 alts!

BenduKundalini
11.04.2014 , 03:44 AM | #5274
Damn, had not come in months and I just read a few things here and there... this is so good!

BenduKundalini
11.04.2014 , 11:38 AM | #5275
So here I am giving it a go instead of doing serious stuff I'm supposed to do. And I have like 30 pages of your work to catch up with!

I can't remember the prompt but it was one making fun of game mechanics - I have a fond memory of DomiSotto's story about the Sith warrior and Malavai Quinn spying on the trooper with Aric collecting bulbs. And something else with a little droid in the mail...

I had the idea ages ago but felt like participating today.

Title: Fire & Forget (For what it's worth)
Prompt: ? (Making fun of game mechanics)
Characters: Deckaard, arsenal mercenary; Mako, Gault
Setting: Nar Shaddaa, inside the docked Mantis .
Spoilers: Who the Bounty hunter companions are, a minor allusion to an oddity within the Great Hunt.
Also a tiny hint at grown-up occupations lol...

[Edited/added a few things.]

Spoiler

alaurin
11.04.2014 , 01:18 PM | #5276
Grrrr, I was almost finished updating the Index and making comments when our power flickered off.......and everything was gone! Luckily I keep the Index backed up, so I didn't lose any of that......just have to transfer it back in and finish, but all the comments are gone. So here are some brief comments......sorry, just don't feel like typing that all out again.

Comments/Replies:
Spoiler

Ok, here's the next part for my guys. It's a shorter piece and was a tougher one for me since its in Qyzen's POV. He's another companion that I'm not sure I write that well, but it was a learning experience at least.

Title: How the Story Unfolds
Prompt: Sounds of Silence
Character: Qyzen Fess for Kitar’s JC-Ka’van
Setting: Nar Shaddaa, just after New Revelations
Spoilers: none that I can think of

Spoiler

Author’s Note:
Spoiler

BenduKundalini
11.04.2014 , 02:38 PM | #5277
WOW I had never pictured Qyzen as being so intricate and methodical... but you're right after all he's a hunter, not just a slasher. I liked how he uses his nostrils and tongue... a true reptile with heightened senses. Major job you did at crime scene investigation!
Minor thing, this phrasing, "Qyzen worked on the assumption that" made me picture him as an trandoshan with an Irish toupet, more than a hunter hungry for Scorekeeper points.

Thanks for the welcome back!

It's funny you mentioned wookiepedia because I spent a full 2 hours looking up company names and making sure they roughly (roughly) fit each item, heh heh... we're on the same page here! Only thing is I didn't take enough time to research other sources to see whether these companies were in the proper timeline (companies like Sienar, MonCal or Industrial Automaton I reckon belong to the Galactic War, not to the Old Republic).

But yeah everytime I send 10+ missiles on a single target I'm thinking "what if you actually had to pay for ammo?".

Anyway, first time off my knight here, and first attempt at first person. I had fun tinkering with that. I could hear the hunter's voice saying these words. I really dig the male voice acting for the Jedi knight, the bounty hunter and the sith warrior.

Note: I expanded a little on the story since yesterday.

Mrtwo
11.05.2014 , 05:15 PM | #5278
Hello!

Title: Hunger
Prompt: Food
Words: 1,269
Spoilers: None
Warnings: Not for the extremely squeamish.

Spoiler

Author's Note:
Spoiler
Don't judge a book by its cover.

Striges
11.07.2014 , 07:21 AM | #5279
Welcome to the thread, h_weber! And welcome back MrTwo and BenduKundalini!

Now a return to somewhat more typical prompts.

Week of November 7, 2014
That Didn’t Happen!: Or, alternately, It Didn’t Happen That Way! Whether you follow the class and planet stories in your fic or consider them more of a springboard, the dialogue wheel still helps tease out your character’s motivations and actions. And then, there are those other times. When none of the options are in-character. No matter how many times you exit out of a scene, what combination of responses you pick, there’s no way your character would act like that. This week’s challenge is to choose one of those moments and write what really happened.

Inspired by my own recent experience with a Bounty Hunter quest.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489991post=3 (we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining the prompt archive and story index here.

This week's featured NotLP:
Membership - Our characters grow into and out of all kinds of clubs, orders, cults, fellowships, schools, social circles, and professional organizations. Write about your character's membership in - or exclusion from - some group.

Got an idea for a prompt? Send me a pm!

AKHadeed
11.08.2014 , 02:18 AM | #5280
For context, I'm starting to try this newfangled endgame content. Well, mid game. Anyway, I'm trying to do stuff on Angharad and Cha'tiroyun that involve dunge... Flashpoints. Zeedor's player would sooner gargle ground glass than be a team player, so it's mostly me. And mostly on Roy because tanking is scury. It used to be my jam, but I'm still figuring out how to powertech.

And I've had some odd ones. This particular story is a mashup of two tactical flashpoints, one where Roy was the only damage and the rest of my team was healers... And another one where I can actually remember the plot. Some fudging, as usual, for narrative coherence. Well, that and some fudging is literally the prompt. So anyhoo, here's a quickly written little story for this week's prompt after I got my requisite Nanowrimo stuff done.

Fair warning, I'm going to make Zeedor write SOMETHING this weekend. Don't know what yet. He says he's playing Mass Effect all weekend, and he's wrong.

Spoiler