Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware please revise this - Companion Influence earned from Crew Skill Missions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Bioware please revise this - Companion Influence earned from Crew Skill Missions

psandak
06.08.2017 , 05:36 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Vercundus View Post
How will I not benefit from my companions? Their level will not decrease.

Sadly, with half the population of the game being so stupid, I'm afraid no "improvement" of the game will make them smarter, quite the opposite. Game is becoming easier due to stupid players unable to competitively play.

Also, another downside is that this change will somehow support already terrible companion system 4.0+. What to do with 20+ companions per toon? Well level them, of course...
Please note: there is no requirement to have 20+ companions on each toon; you do not have to complete every recruitment of every companion on every toon. So long as you have nine companions (eight for crew skills and one to use in play), you're set. Granted as the level cap goes up so will the number of companions "needed" for crew skills...so you just recruit what you "need".

Players wanted more variety in their companions. Players wanted the ability to kill companions. Players wanted the ability to use a specific companions without their "role" clashing (i.e. using mako when your merc is a healer too; or forced to use mako because she's the only healer you have) With this system, we get all of the above. Granted, one of the interesting features of companions was/is their story and conversations we have with them and with so many companions all we now get is an introduction and then crickets. And some new companions might be interesting romance options but we do not get the chance.

The system is not perfect, but it is not terrible either.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

psandak
06.13.2017 , 04:38 PM | #22
According to guildmate: a rich grade 10 mission will net 203 influence with the companion that ran it. As I expected, this is NOT a great way to level influence. It takes 250k influence to reach rank 50. At 203 per mission...that's 1232 missions to go from 1 to 50. or 5,864,320 credits.

Even if you are starting a companion at rank 20...it is still 1035 missions to get to rank 50 at a average of 10 minutes per mission (yes the time to complete goes down with each rank, again talking AVERAGE) that's 172.5 HOURS of running missions.

My point is that this is a good supplement to gifts or grinding not a replacement.

And I thought about this last night: this might be an inducement to not farm as much. If players pay credits for materials in the form of missions AND get some influence out of it, more players might just run missions instead of farming.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

BenduKundalini
06.13.2017 , 04:56 PM | #23
I welcome this change a LOT. It only pains me to know that most my comps would be level 50 by now but hey, you can't retcon everything can you?

Besides, what makes a great crafter is not the level of his toons. And if suddenly everyone and their sisters start producing twice as much of everything because more efficient comps, prices will only plummet.
And don't worry. Crafting like a pro takes a bookworm gaming style that would drive most player nuts, so the change should be marginal.

As Psandak says your goal is to sell - not to produce.

dzeiger
06.13.2017 , 07:07 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
Even if you are starting a companion at rank 20...it is still 1035 missions to get to rank 50 at a average of 10 minutes per mission (yes the time to complete goes down with each rank, again talking AVERAGE) that's 172.5 HOURS of running missions.

My point is that this is a good supplement to gifts or grinding not a replacement.
Woo Hoo! It's taken a year and a half of running the Nar Shadda Star Fortress to get Verona Deez up to 31 influence at 325 per Star Fortress Bonus mission, I might actually get her to 50 now before I die of old age!

Vercundus
06.14.2017 , 12:57 AM | #25
At first I was relieved that this is going to be slow as well. However, this could create a dump in price of mats, specially blue and purple mats, but in return it won't persuade crafters to lower their prices, so I highly doubt this would work as a money sink. We will see.
Rename EU server to Darth Marr!
My referral link http://www.swtor.com/r/jRpChs

Heal-To-Full
06.19.2017 , 11:30 AM | #26
Personally, this is my favorite change in the last update. I'm tired of having 100+ comps at 1 influence, and tens at 10 influence, because 10 used to be the cap when I was into this.

Sure, realistically, using your comps as cheap labor to gather mats for you to profit from shouldn't make them any more loyal... except, why does everyone's boss expect massive loyalty from their underlings in exchange for 10 years of exactly that?
What we must fight for is to safeguard the existence of the Sith race and the Sith people, the glory of our children and the purity of our blood, the freedom and independence of the Empire, so that we may fulfill the mission allotted us by the Force itself. Everything must be examined from this point of view and used or rejected according to its utility.