Phantom and Spymaster gear changes

Karaiblis

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All right folks, I talked to our developers and got some clarification:

• The Revan outfit was adjusted to look more like Revan’s armor in the game.
  • The Spymaster and the Phantom outfits were both adjusted to look more like their advertised appearance in the Cartel Market, after we received more than a few remarks about this dissimilarity. This is to ensure that customers receive the advertised appearance.
  • The Stylish Dancer Outfit (white) is in the Blockade Runner pack, but it was mistakenly used on the Skip Tracer pack art. The Fancy Reveler Outfit is red and included in the Skip Tracer pack. The artwork for the Skip Tracer pack will be updated to show the appropriate outfit in a future patch.

We apologize for any inconvenience. In the future, we will ensure that all assets are in alignment on the Cartel Market. The final products are meant to look like the advertised art.

Considering the fact that people could preview the item on their character, they were wanting the old version. Yeah I noticed the differences in the pictures, but I never liked the how it was intended look, it was another recolored sith robe. There are quite a few other things that don't look like their picture. Are you going to change that around too? The sand devil and crimson claw pics are backwards. The rakata smuggler pants still don't match their tops, and its been a year there. It seems like there isn't any real effort in the packs now. Another recolor of the dancer outfit, really. Is this the strategy for new content releasing old stuff with different colors? The old phantom chest got more popular once people were noticing is had a sleek look to it. I know I went looking for it. I have 3 guildies that looked for that chest piece specifically because of the look. Now they are feeling let down big time. This has definitely made people question what is going on with this game.

Some of you need to cut Joveth a break. He's got very little of the information at a given time.

Damion comes in, having ALL of the information, and this is why he looks like a first class communicator. For a Dev - he is...but if you switched the two people into each other's roles...the same people piling on Joveth would be piling on Damion.

I, for one, appreciate Joveth's efforts to get into the fray early. It's not without risks but for me its better then silent mode.

Hey, guys --

We care a lot about the fact that you care about the appearances of your characters. In fact, the Mod system is my baby, largely because it allows players to customize their appearance to your liking. We have another, similar, one of my babies coming in the near future, which will allow even greater customization (you guys may have seen me hinted about it in recent interviews). Short form: this is real important to me, and we're not happy that we've created a situation that makes people unhappy. We didn't think through the ramifications of the bugfix that we've made, and we're acutely aware of the financial angle (cartel coins as well as in-game credits on the GTN) involved.

We are still discussing potential fixes to the issue -- and there will be fixes -- but there are ramifications to all fixes. Players should keep in mind that previously, we had players who were upset in the other direction. We have a couple of directions that we can go, but we need to explore a couple of things, and regardless, it is not a fix that can happen instantaneously. I do think we can get something in a patch very soon.

We are pretty sure we can avoid a solution that forces players to spend additional cartel coins, and I'm not interested in letting a situation linger that leaves the player's faith in what we are offering on the cartel market in a reduced state. It is incredibly important to me, and the rest of the SW:TOR team, that players have a high degree of confidence in the market as a whole, and how we deal with issues like this. This has been a learning experience for us, and won't happen again.

In short: we'll fix this. Give us a little time to do so.

Damion Schubert

Lead Designer, SWTOR

Just add an NPC where you can trade the current look of the item for one with the old appearance. Problem solved.

And then you can go and finally work on chat bubbles.

Edited by Glzmo

My sorc has been wearing the entire Phantom set from well before this last patch. Rarely did I ever see other's wearing the Phantom set and I'm one of those who likes to camp out on fleet checking out everyone else's armor. The few toons I saw wearing Phantom gear were just just wearing the chest, mostly agents. And some others were wearing just the helmet, which hasn't even changed anyways.

About an hour ago I shouted out in fleet that people in the official forum were in an uproar about the changes to the Phantom set and most people didn't even know what I was talking about let alone even care. Some asked where I was standing and came to check out the look of Phantom set as it now stands and liked what they saw, because it looks really sharp. I also liked the old look as, again, that's what I had already been wearing.

I venture to say that 99% of the people playing don't really even care one way or the other about the change to Phantom set. It's not near as a big of an issue as it appears in these forums where upset people posts several times in every thread they can find on the subject. Take the time to head count the actual individuals posting complaints over such and don't get lost thinking the person who's posted 20 times on the subject in each thread is 20 people.

My god was it like maybe 10 - 20 people in total who ever complained about the old look to begin with? I'm shocked by how much you cower to tiny minority. I doubt more than 5% of the people who subscribe even check out these forums.

Anyways, if you're so worried about it, put the old look armor in the Cartel Market as a set you buy outright, not gamble for. Then award all subs with enough CC to purchase one old set or purcahse whatever they want. It's just digital items anyways. You, BW, aren't losing anything. Most people will be ecstatic, especially the 99% of subs who never even knew this was any sort of issue to begin with. Case closed.

Edited by Belacose

Hey, guys --

We care a lot about the fact that you care about the appearances of your characters. In fact, the Mod system is my baby, largely because it allows players to customize their appearance to your liking. We have another, similar, one of my babies coming in the near future, which will allow even greater customization (you guys may have seen me hinted about it in recent interviews). Short form: this is real important to me, and we're not happy that we've created a situation that makes people unhappy. We didn't think through the ramifications of the bugfix that we've made, and we're acutely aware of the financial angle (cartel coins as well as in-game credits on the GTN) involved.

We are still discussing potential fixes to the issue -- and there will be fixes -- but there are ramifications to all fixes. Players should keep in mind that previously, we had players who were upset in the other direction. We have a couple of directions that we can go, but we need to explore a couple of things, and regardless, it is not a fix that can happen instantaneously. I do think we can get something in a patch very soon.

We are pretty sure we can avoid a solution that forces players to spend additional cartel coins, and I'm not interested in letting a situation linger that leaves the player's faith in what we are offering on the cartel market in a reduced state. It is incredibly important to me, and the rest of the SW:TOR team, that players have a high degree of confidence in the market as a whole, and how we deal with issues like this. This has been a learning experience for us, and won't happen again.

Damion Schubert

Lead Designer, SWTOR

Excellent and well written response. Please try to keep the yellow posts at this level as often as possible :D

Hey, guys --

Damion Schubert

Lead Designer, SWTOR

I really appreciate a response from the Lead Designer on this matter.

While still not specific on details of a fix it restores some of the faith I had felt starting to waver over recent days.

I know it still confounds some players that others hold the customisation of their character in such a high regard. While angry at the potential loss of in game credits from my GTN purchases (Phantom Helm, Phantom Chest, Phantom Gloves, Spymaster Leggings, Phantom Boots) It was really the loss of the stealthy, sleek, svelte black leather ninja spy look that irritated me the most. And the fact that the change would have left me at a loss having taken reasonable precautions to ensure the items purchased were the one I wanted by using the ingame previewer.

Could I suggest a system that allows people to see what items they have the potential to get from the Random Cartel Packs in much the same way that they can expand out non-random Armour Kits at the moment. This would allow players keen on taking the chance to gain an item a preview before they spent their cartel coins.

Hey, guys --

Damion Schubert

Lead Designer, SWTOR

I really with that people would assume that this sort of thing is the case rather than that the Dev team is TRYING to piss them off. So much flail and assumption of ill-intent, so little need. Obviously bringing this stuff up is neccessary, but the anger really isn't.

Edited by errant_knight

Hey, guys --

Damion Schubert

Lead Designer, SWTOR

Thank you very much for speaking out. I am glad that someone in a place of authority that can actually do something (or make sure it gets done) has seen this issue. To many players the "old" or "broken" or "incorrect" Phantom set and the other sets that were changed were the most outstanding armor since the game released. Hope to see them again real soon. It only took 3 weeks to take them out, lets see if you can bring them back in that amount of time.

Hey, guys --

Damion Schubert

Lead Designer, SWTOR

Wow why can't you guys make posts similar to this more often and about more issues? Posts like this really give me hope that the game can improve and developers are in touch with and actively working to improve it. It's nice to see you admit your mistakes along with an explanation of the line of thinking, do it more often please.

As for me, I see the Phantom Armor from now much better than before and looks finally like in the picture of the cartel package Siegebreaker!

Should it really make the upcoming patch Undo again, I would be mighty pissed because I spent on my other characters have lots of credits to upgrade the example to equip to buy parts for modding and other armor so that everything fits together eg (Phantom breast + Revan mask) ect ...

My suggestion would be to make really happy to both sides:

all "both versions of" Phantom of the armor (with or without the attachment at the shoulders and wrists) can play in

.. so das sich jeder selbst entscheiden kann was er haben möchte und die Leute den es stört eine Möglichkeit haben es zu ändern und denen das gefällt es so zu lassen

Edited by D_A_R_K_Y

As for me, I see the Phantom Armor from now much better than before and looks finally like in the picture of the cartel package Siegebreaker!

Should it really make the upcoming patch Undo again, I would be mighty pissed because I spent on my other characters have lots of credits to upgrade the example to equip to buy parts for modding and other armor so that everything fits together eg (Phantom breast + Revan mask) ect ...

My suggestion would be to make really happy to both sides:

all "both versions of" Phantom of the armor (with or without the attachment at the shoulders and wrists) can play in

That's the idea, Darky. They are going to do something where we can all have the version of the armor we like best.

.. so das sich jeder selbst entscheiden kann was er haben möchte und die Leute den es stört eine Möglichkeit haben es zu ändern und denen das gefällt es so zu lassen

That's the idea, Darky. They are coming up with a solution so we can each have the version of the armor we like. Be happy about that!

http://imageshack.us/a/img850/8285/screenshot2013010918190.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img651/838/screenshot2013010918192.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img541/3371/screenshot2013010918193.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img33/4097/screenshot2013010918194.jpg

Are you f'ing kidding me? you change the gear and don't even do it well.

Hey, guys --

Damion Schubert

Lead Designer, SWTOR

so u cant stand that the items in the cartel market loses the faith of players

but u can let it be that pvp is ruined for weeks now? smash? bubblepop?

great to see the priorities of bioware

best reply ever

Hey, guys --

We didn't think through the ramifications of the bugfix that we've made, and we're acutely aware of the financial angle (cartel coins as well as in-game credits on the GTN) involved.

Well done Damion! Communication like this buys you time AND good will. Thank you for the honesty.

Maybe a positive offshoot to this entire screw up is that the devs/designers realise that there is strong demand for simpler cleaner looking armour. You don't need to stick lots of bits on something to make it cool and desirable.

I bet theres a lot of current in game armour that could be the source of a simplfied version. As an Vanguard I'd like to see versions of existing armour without square boxes straped to the back, butt flaps or rockets bolted to the shoulder.

Fingers crossed the penny drops for them.

so u cant stand that the items in the cartel market loses the faith of players

but u can let it be that pvp is ruined for weeks now? smash? bubblepop?

great to see the priorities of bioware

best reply ever

Neither of those things are broken. Please improve at PVP, thank you.

Congrats to Damion! THIS is how you keep your customers happy!!

COMMUNICATION (Honest and up front communication that is not "PR" filtered)

You clearly stated that you messed up and you are going to fix it and make 99% of the people happy. (1% will never be happy until they have a Jedi Panda or something like that)

THAT is good news! My hats off to Damion stepping up and addressing this quickly. Please.. do it again (Honest communication) whenever possible.

Hey, guys --

Damion Schubert

Lead Designer, SWTOR

Wow, thanks so much Damion. I don't envy the task that you have ahead of you, but I do feel confident about going in game and buying myself some of the new packs:)

baaahahah :')

I was being serious, if people took half the time they did complaining about "OP" specs (first scoundrel/op, then sent, then assault vanguard, now smash guard and bubble sage), and actually learned how to combat them, they probably wouldn't be as much of a problem. But this isn't really the time or place for that discussion.

Edited by iStOnEi

Hey, guys --

Damion Schubert

Lead Designer, SWTOR

issues with PvP gearing requirements -> 1 dev post, ~1 week wait time for it to get fixed

issues with PvP class balance -> <10 dev posts over the course of 6 months, balance has only been worse by recent changes

issue with Cartel Network-> ZOMGZ RED ALERT! BATTLE STATIONS!!!!

gj bioware, nice to know youre not just trying to make a quick buck off the Cartel Network. ohwait...... :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for an update. Glad to know you are fixing this. I spent 1.5 million just a few days ago on the Phantom armor for my sniper. His performance has been lacking since the change to the armor. Hard to stay hidden with a red glow on your chest and shoulders now.