Bioware just needs to state what the canon is

Stormcloudx

As fun as alot of the fan interpretation is around here, I don't know of an official statements on any of the planets or story lines working together. As much as everyone loves the "good guy" (i use the term loosely as republic = pure good is the same as saying politicians are angels.) I find it hard to believe that all the work of the imp characters were for nothing. To top it off all of the "empire is losing the war badly and on verge of defeat" theories seem to go away from one factor...the war is already CONFIRMED to take 1000 years to complete. The story arcs we have at the moment may be intertwined but I'm sure overall its less than 50 years worth of difference.

I also hope bioware is at least kind enough not to give us the old force unleashed lie. (where in the game alpha you were promised the chance to stay full dark and be pro-empire but 3 missions in it flips on you with no choice. Virtually only thing that matters is the "good side"). so about 100 years in to the 1000 year war the empire loses most of its ground and the rest of the 900 years is just the repub cleaning up scraps? I find this hard to go on with any competent story writer. If this is the case I feel like the OVER accelerated the decline process. Obviously we know they eventually fall but there are weird indicators it wasn't a simple win..like the republic symbol resembling the old empire one.

Yes overall I find the whole situation upsetting, there isn't one decent game that is pro anything but jedi until this game (galaxies isn't available anymore and wasn't as immersed story wise). Quite frankly I'm glad there is EU content that smashes the jedi again after the original trilogy and sees the New empire surface..but that part is just me ranting.

There's no reason to believe that they're heading toward a total defeat. Look at it this way, at the start of the game, the empire had won big. To this point, there was some back and forth, but the republic gained the upper hand and the empire was at risk of defeat. That's a good thing. It makes what you do as an imperial important. There was a major victory on Makeb that improved their position immensely.

The game will go back and forth for as long as it's online. There can be no real victory for either side without diminishing gameplay for one faction, so no one will 'win.' Given that it's many hundred years before the rebel period and eventual defeat of Palpatine's empire. There's plenty of room for victory and defeat on both sides. It's also likely that there will be times when we're fighting a third party so there can be a win in both factions. It's just how it is in an mmo. Neither side can 'win' or the game is essentially over.

But Bioware has put a lot of work into making both sides playable for all players. They aren't going to throw either faction under the bus.

Edited by errant_knight

As fun as alot of the fan interpretation is around here, I don't know of an official statements on any of the planets or story lines working together. As much as everyone loves the "good guy" (i use the term loosely as republic = pure good is the same as saying politicians are angels.) I find it hard to believe that all the work of the imp characters were for nothing. To top it off all of the "empire is losing the war badly and on verge of defeat" theories seem to go away from one factor...the war is already CONFIRMED to take 1000 years to complete. The story arcs we have at the moment may be intertwined but I'm sure overall its less than 50 years worth of difference.

I also hope bioware is at least kind enough not to give us the old force unleashed lie. (where in the game alpha you were promised the chance to stay full dark and be pro-empire but 3 missions in it flips on you with no choice. Virtually only thing that matters is the "good side"). so about 100 years in to the 1000 year war the empire loses most of its ground and the rest of the 900 years is just the repub cleaning up scraps? I find this hard to go on with any competent story writer. If this is the case I feel like the OVER accelerated the decline process. Obviously we know they eventually fall but there are weird indicators it wasn't a simple win..like the republic symbol resembling the old empire one.

Yes overall I find the whole situation upsetting, there isn't one decent game that is pro anything but jedi until this game (galaxies isn't available anymore and wasn't as immersed story wise). Quite frankly I'm glad there is EU content that smashes the jedi again after the original trilogy and sees the New empire surface..but that part is just me ranting.

I've never seen that confirmed. Heck if we consider Darth Desolous (born circa 3522 BBY) as the first post-Empire Sith Lord, then we (living in 3,641-3,640 BBY) have less than 120 years left.

• 1 month later...

the empire didn't take 1000 years to defeat and anyone who thinks that is confirmed seriously lacks critical thinking skills.

What we know is that the current date is appoximatly 3700 BBY (BBY = before the battle of Yavin) we know that appoximatly 2000 years BBY the galaxy was at peace until a Jedi went rogue and founded the Sith annew. those who think the war lasted 1000 years tend to figure that since that's the next date in the timeline we know the war will last roughly that wrong. it's not the case at all.

1000 years is basicly the max period of time it CAN take. but it's almost certinly NOT going to that long. It'd be like looking at a timeline of earth that notes WW1 started in 1914, WW2 in 1939, and assuming that WW1 lasted 15 years.

as for the state of the empire in the war, it's nothing to worry about the Wars been swinging back and forth since well.. forever. no one's gonna ever win cause that'd kill the game. It's kinda like Gilligan's island, they only ever got off the island when the series ended.

that said it sounds like you're upset that this game doesn't have the empire curb stomping everything. SPOILER ALERT, the Empire LOSES. cause ultimatly this is Star Wars and Star Wars is a classic peice of romantic story telling where the good guys, eventually, win. course that doesn't mean it's easy and we're going to get Empire Strikes Backs. and revenge of the siths.