Clone Wars Episode 16 Review

Bird_of_Thunder

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maul wanted revenge on Obi-Wan, you can't exact revenge on a corpse. And as Obi is a Jedi, killing him would be pointless because Jedi don't fear death. He'd feel brief pain and then it would be over. Maul wanted Obi Wan to suffer and exploiting his connection to Satine made that happen, and that was just the beginning, Maul had only just got started. He doesn't care about Satine, she's just a pawn in his revenge against Maul.

I dunno about your last point, personally I really liked the scene when Satine died (no, not in a sadistic way :p), it was really emotional, suspenseful, distressing and strangely, unexpected. Believe it or not but I didn't see her death coming until Maul ignited the darksaber. I think her dying in a ship crash would have been somewhat anti-climatic, and far less chilling. You wouldn't have those ghostly chimes, or see that sadistic, cruel smile when Maul sat on his throne and watched on. I think that was the best scene in the whole episode, even better than the duel.

Then kill Satine and slowly torture Obi-Wan to death. Maul just isn't someone to do some psychological damage, and than lock him away. It isn't really in character and to me it seemed like a cheap way to get Obi-Wan escape again.

When I watched the previews, I thought Maul would follow Obi-Wan and Satine and hit their ship hard which leads to Satine falling off. Obi-Wan tries to hold her, but in the end he doesn't manage. That would have broken the escape-capture-escape-capture-loop and would have been more in character for Maul. (I still like the episode, of course.)

Then kill Satine and slowly torture Obi-Wan to death. Maul just isn't someone to do some psychological damage, and than lock him away. It isn't really in character and to me it seemed like a cheap way to get Obi-Wan escape again.

When I watched the previews, I thought Maul would follow Obi-Wan and Satine and hit their ship hard which leads to Satine falling off. Obi-Wan tries to hold her, but in the end he doesn't manage. That would have broken the escape-capture-escape-capture-loop and would have been more in character for Maul. (I still like the episode, of course.)

Good point, but I think her actual death was more climatic and emotional because it was long and drawn out but also very sudden, having her slowly tortured to death or falling out of a ship wouldn't have been the same. It would have either been just long and drawn out (AKA boring and anti-climatic) or just too sudden to warrant any emotional response. And if anything shows more of Maul's character, he's brutish and aggresive, Obi-Wan angered him so she killed her in cold blood (lets also remember this is like PG rating - no torture :D) But yeah, the escape scene could have been more inventive.

Good point, but I think her actual death was more climatic and emotional because it was long and drawn out but also very sudden, having her slowly tortured to death or falling out of a ship wouldn't have been the same. It would have either been just long and drawn out (AKA boring and anti-climatic) or just too sudden to warrant any emotional response. And if anything shows more of Maul's character, he's brutish and aggresive, Obi-Wan angered him so she killed her in cold blood (lets also remember this is like PG rating - no torture :D) But yeah, the escape scene could have been more inventive.

Which is what pissed me off about him and the Jedi.

Which is what pissed me off about him and the Jedi.
From an in-universe point of view - but out of universe you can't complain, that's the Jedi way and its way that Star Wars is actually quite critical of. I think this is another subtle display of how the Jedi Code can be limiting and have negative rather than positive repercussions - and fits with the whole theme of the Jedi and the Republic losing their way and losing the values they once represented.

From an in-universe point of view - but out of universe you can't complain, that's the Jedi way and its way that Star Wars is actually quite critical of. I think this is another subtle display of how the Jedi Code can be limiting and have negative rather than positive repercussions - and fits with the whole theme of the Jedi and the Republic losing their way and losing the values they once represented.

I mean can't he stop when Maul showed anger? Jedi way is to protect and save people, even Yoda didn't go to capture Dooku but chose to save him and Anakin in EP II.

I understand Sith well, a high rank Sith will just ignore his enemy's taunt and won't shake his belief for a bit. I don't know why Obi Wan must continue to argue, that's way of weak belief actually.

They deleted the scene of him refused Anakin's help, even refused to let him fix the ship, it was deleted due to time issue, but still in the novel.

I didn't mean he should torture her to death. I meant, after killing Satine, he could attempt to torture Obi-Wan to death.

I guess thats the only thing that really bugs me about all that: he killed her and then said: "OK, enough punishment for now, take him to the prison." That seemed like a lot device to get him freed and out of character for Maul.

I didn't mean he should torture her to death. I meant, after killing Satine, he could attempt to torture Obi-Wan to death.

I guess thats the only thing that really bugs me about all that: he killed her and then said: "OK, enough punishment for now, take him to the prison." That seemed like a lot device to get him freed and out of character for Maul.

I really think Satine should seek help from Dooku and CIS.

Hells no. Sidious wiped the floor with them. His was tossing Maul around like a ragdoll and the only time Maul even had a chance of giving some account of himself was when they were using lightsabers.

i totally agree, sidious kicked the crap out of Maul. But watching Maul kill Satine infront of Kenobi, wow my son and i totally enjoyed this episode. And like finding out who Satine's sister was, very very interesting. Plus i like to see what Sidious does with Maul now.

I doubt that, seeing as Maul actually beat Obi-Wan in a fight, one-on-one. Maul is the more powerful.

When was this? Because the only time I recall them fighting one-on-one was when they were on that freighter, and that was when Obi-Wan was still recovering from getting his butt kicked by the Savage/Maul duo.

When was this? Because the only time I recall them fighting one-on-one was when they were on that freighter, and that was when Obi-Wan was still recovering from getting his butt kicked by the Savage/Maul duo.
That is true, he did get something of a beating. However as a Jedi I expect he can recover quickly, and that seemed like the case when they fought. Maul did however have the advantage of his legs which scored most of the hits on Obi. However lets not forget that it was pretty much Savage alone who took out Obi-Wan, he quickly disarmed him and we know Maul is stronger than Savage.

Without his legs I think it would be more balanced, but I think Obi-Wan would still lose. And Maul could used Dun Moch against Obi which seemed far more effective on him than it was on say Anakin. Maul can use his hate for Obi-Wan to his advantage, but Obi-Wan's hatred for Maul is a disadvantage.

That is true, he did get something of a beating. However as a Jedi I expect he can recover quickly, and that seemed like the case when they fought. Maul did however have the advantage of his legs which scored most of the hits on Obi. However lets not forget that it was pretty much Savage alone who took out Obi-Wan, he quickly disarmed him and we know Maul is stronger than Savage.

Without his legs I think it would be more balanced, but I think Obi-Wan would still lose. And Maul could used Dun Moch against Obi which seemed far more effective on him than it was on say Anakin. Maul can use his hate for Obi-Wan to his advantage, but Obi-Wan's hatred for Maul is a disadvantage.

True, but let's not forget their next encounter (Florrum was it?). Obi-Wan held both Savage and Maul off for good time until Maul fled with a damaged Savage in tow.

However, a one-on-one fight is much more intimate. Maul's use of Dun Moch would play a much bigger role should they fight again. Though I don't see that happening as Sidious wouldn't allow it. He has much bigger plans than helping Maul get his revenge.

Just watched the episode again. They have really come a long way in their fight choreography. That whole last fight between Palps, Maul and Savage was a work of art from beginning to end. They can now accurately depict emotion while fighting. You could definitely see how Palps was just playing with them. He didn't exert himself at all. And the motions have gotten so much more fluid than the first few seasons. Really, really incredible stuff.

I also noticed just how beautiful and cinematic some of the scenes were. Obi-Wan watching the battlefield after he opens the door to the hangar with his lightsaber out was an incredible image.