Same sex romancing, confirm/deny.

Rainbowdesu

So I've been hearing about homosexual romancing being implanted later in the game but I've been unable to find any kind of proof. If anyone can provide a source that either confirms or denies I'd be most grateful. If confirm, any idea when and would it be possible to romance even though you've done part of/the entire storyline with the companion. For example, lvl 19 Sith Warrior (not far, I know, but serves as an example) with Vette, done some lore with her but not all, still have a chance?

Sincerely yours,

Rainbow

If I had time for an alt I was going to roll a female just to see what males are romancible. As far as I can tell same sex relationships were left out to keep the ratings low and the homophobic demographic content. Even the flirt options are pretty tame even for a bioware game and generally it culminates in people going to kiss and it fading black then them walking back fully clothed saying "lets do that again sometime!"

Female flirting is indeed very limited but that's common knowledge by now. This post is more about the rumors I've been hearing about same sex romancing being introduced in an upcoming patch and how it would effect players that have done part of the lore with the companion already.

Stephen Reid stated that it would be implemented post-launch, meaning within around 3 months of release (as far as my memory is concerned regarding 'post-launch'), he also stated that the current companions will NOT be changed during implementation, which we can take as there being new companions, at least 2 per class (one a gay male and one a lesbian female), that is ALL the information we have as of now.

Not to disagree with the above post, but as far as I know the only confirmed news we have is that same-sex romance will be a "post-launch" feature.

They haven't said if it'll be for existing companions or only new ones. They mention that "they can add new companions", but it hasn't exactly been said if it'll effect existing ones or not. Any attempt I have tried to ask, just gets the topic closed with the "it'll be added later" response without any response on the how. Or when.

Stephen Reid stated that it would be implemented post-launch, meaning within around 3 months of release (as far as my memory is concerned regarding 'post-launch'), he also stated that the current companions will NOT be changed during implementation, which we can take as there being new companions, at least 2 per class (one a gay male and one a lesbian female), that is ALL the information we have as of now.

Wow I really dont beleive any of this is actually confirmed except that it would be implemented post-launch and that current ones wont be changed.. I dont think its ever been confirmed when post-launch is except that its not in the launch. So for my account could be 3 months or 3 years hypothetically. I dont think its confirmed that every class and sex at any point whenever anything is implemented will have 1 gay companion and one straight.

It could just be implemented in a way so that you can hook up with random npcs for all we know.

If I am wrong witch I doubt I am feel free to correct me with a source.

Personally I would guess this will be an expansion thingy. 2 new gay companions for each class.

It does indeed seem likely that if we see same sex romancing they will introduce new companion instead of re-doing the conversations of all the old ones, thus avoiding the problem with players already completing the storyline with their companion. Shame though, really liked Vette.

Wow I really dont beleive any of this is actually confirmed except that it would be implemented post-launch and that current ones wont be changed..

See, I have yet to hear anything about that second bit. From the only quote I've seen posted officially;

"Due to the design constraints of a fully voiced MMO of this scale and size, many choices had to be made as to the launch and post-launch feature set. Same gender romances with companion characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature. Because The Old Republic is an MMO, the game will live on through content expansions which allow us to include content and features that could not be included at launch, including the addition of more companion characters who will have additional romance options."

(http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/09/13/swtor-companions-will-have-same-sex-romance-options-eventuall/)

I don't advise reading the comments, however. They border on chaotic-stupid.

From the context of the wording, it really doesn't say either way. They mention that they intend to add s/s romance, and that there will be new companions down the line. But the two statements are seperated. From the way I read it, it seemed like they were keeping the door open on both options (adding new gay characters and changing current ones), like "hey, there will be some new romance options. And some of them might be new companions down the line!"

I really wouldn't take that as a confirmation that current companions will not be changed, however. Of the two, which is easier?

1: Adding only new romance dialogue for already fleshed-out characters, and most of the lines only need to swap out pronouns.

2: Adding two whole new companions, one male and one female, for every class to pick up (I assume it would be for every class, like the droid on your ship.) That would require the entire game to have dialogue for them to respond to any situation you take them on, and they would need to have different reactions for each class-story. And that's assuming they take the *easy* way out.

Due to the design constraints of a fully voiced MMO of this scale and size, many choices had to be made as to the launch and post-launch feature set. Same gender romances with companion characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature. Because The Old Republic is an MMO, the game will live on through content expansions which allow us to include content and features that could not be included at launch, including the addition of more companion characters who will have additional romance options.

Deadsaber: Waste of time just to cater to a couple of people when they could be spending the time on better more worth wide content.

In response to Deadsaber, Stephen Reid followed up with another post to his original thread:

First of all, this is definitely not an audience that consists of a ‘couple of people’ and we’re aware of that. We take this decision very seriously.

Second, it’s very important to realize that this is just one of many, many content additions that will be going into the game post launch. The vast majority of our content will be of interest to the vast majority of our potential audience.

However, one of the amazing things about MMOs is that over time we can get to add things that are exciting and interesting to smaller audiences. Normally, that’s not something that’s addressed too far ahead of time. In this case, we felt the addition was warranted and should be addressed early.

There will be plenty of content for all to play and enjoy.

There is also a third post by Reid addressing this topic, regarding the change of existing romances, saying that it is considered to allow same sex romances for existing NPCs. Sadly I cannot find it right now, since all the old forums got inaccessible. And I am not sure if the posting was talking about companions for existing characters (that could cause a lot of problems and odd behaviour I am afraid) or changing the companions only for newly created characters (like say for any smuggler created before gay day Corso is straight, but if you create a smuggler after that day he is bisexual, though in his case this would make his approval points rather weird if what you read on the forum is true)

Anyway the last paragraph in the second post makes me hopeful that SGRAs are close to being finished or are already in the internal testing phase and will be live soon.

Edited by Wittand

It does indeed seem likely that if we see same sex romancing they will introduce new companion instead of re-doing the conversations of all the old ones, thus avoiding the problem with players already completing the storyline with their companion. Shame though, really liked Vette.

That is indeed a shame. :( I was going through my Jedi Guardian quests today and was really disappointed that there was no romancing Kira as my character is female.

I'm willing to believe the rumors given Bioware's pretty good history in its previous games for allowing same sex relationships.

Eh, Dragon Age is the only BioWare series with homosexual relationships. Liara doesn't count since she is genderless.

I always found the "Everybody is bisexual" thing a little odd in video games. I mean, everybody is either completely straight or everybody is willing to leap into the pants of anybody... only DA1 was the exception.

Edited by WhoDaresWins

I object to any mention of homosexual behavior or homosexual romance. The same way people object to having christmas in star wars ( although it is hehe )

BTW Im going thru and reporting every post that strays off topic or mentions **** phobia as its ok to object to something in the game with out being phobic.

I don't understand why this thing of the s/s relationship is so important for you... SWTOR it's only a game launched 8 days ago and in this game there are many bugs... Bioware must fixs the bugs and the UI and only after thinks at this stupid "problem" (for me this isn't a problem)...

if you want to see a homosexual relationship (or if you want to have one) don't buy and play this game, exit from your house and live your life...

IMHO play a game like SWTOR only for have a homosexual relationship it's really creepy... :eek:

p.s. sorry for my bad english... i'm italian... :D

I don't understand why this thing of the s/s relationship is so important for you... SWTOR it's only a game launched 8 days ago and in this game there are many bugs... Bioware must fixs the bugs and the UI and only after thinks at this stupid "problem" (for me this isn't a problem)...

if you want to see a homosexual relationship (or if you want to have one) don't buy and play this game, exit from your house and live your life...

IMHO play a game like SWTOR only for have a homosexual relationship it's really creepy... :eek:

p.s. sorry for my bad english... i'm italian... :D

I agree , it would be creepy to see that and besides if they allow homosexual relationships in the game than they have to pander to other minority groups wanting their life styles in the game.. Multiple partners, interspecies etc. I think its only right to leave things as they are.

[sarcastic MODE: ON] Nooooooooo!!! There was a brilliant post about the lack of validity of the word "homophobic" seasoned with valid arguments like "left leaned homosexual atheists", and someone deleted it, you don't know what you missed.

Eh, Dragon Age is the only BioWare series with homosexual relationships. Liara doesn't count since she is genderless.

I always found the "Everybody is bisexual" thing a little odd in video games. I mean, everybody is either completely straight or everybody is willing to leap into the pants of anybody... only DA1 was the exception.

Jade Empire is another Bioware game with same-sex romances (and imho the best done ones too).

While you may not think Liara counts she looks female to the human eye and thats enough for the vast majority of people to include this as a same-sex romance option in their minds. I'm sure the vast majority of people who romanced her as a female Shepherd were not going "wow romancing this sexless alien is great" (although thats a debate for another time).

Kinda agree with the "everyone is bi-sexual angle" not really working though. Dragon Age 1 and Jade Empire did it "right".

Back on topic as a gay female I'd quite like to see same-sex romances in the game at some point, but there are way more priorities to be sorted before this is done.

It's not really like LGBT members such as myself are hoping to turn the game into nothing but a romantic simulation, with moon-lit dinners and strolls on the beach.

Romance is already in the game. It is a nice bonus, and provides a vast opportunity for roleplaying purposes and character-interaction, which this entire game is about. It's no more creepy than the people who originally asked Bioware to make Tali a romance option in Mass Effect. (Granted, that got creepy after-the-fact when people began to break down the chemical composition of her sweat... But I digress!)

Besides, that is neither here nor there. Bioware has already confirmed that it *will* be added. The only question left is how they will add it.

I agree , it would be creepy to see that and besides if they allow homosexual relationships in the game than they have to pander to other minority groups wanting their life styles in the game.. Multiple partners, interspecies etc. I think its only right to leave things as they are.

Just... *sigh*

No. Slippery slope does not work like that. At the very least, I'm glad you didn't mention "animals" in that list.

But the game already has interspecies romance. Sith Warrior/Vette springs to mind immediately.

And as for multiple partners? Jade Empire. As a male character, you could end up having a male character get into a threesome with Dawn Star and Silk Fox.

Did I mention that they were cousins?

To restate myself, the topic is now invalid. It was a plea for a confirmation or denial of whether s/s romance would be added.

It will be.

This is not a topic about whether you believe it should or not.

Edited by Raiellyn

Jade Empire is another Bioware game with same-sex romances (and imho the best done ones too).

While you may not think Liara counts she looks female to the human eye and thats enough for the vast majority of people to include this as a same-sex romance option in their minds. I'm sure the vast majority of people who romanced her as a female Shepherd were not going "wow romancing this sexless alien is great" (although thats a debate for another time).

Back on topic as a gay female I'd quite like to see same-sex romances in the game at some point, but there are way more priorities to be sorted before this is done.

Making Liara genderless always felt like a cop out clause to me; get the best bit of having ***** pre-teens shagging something that looks female, but actually isn't, therefore they can justify male Shepard not getting into Kaiden's biotics.

It's not really like LGBT members such as myself are hoping to turn the game into nothing but a romantic simulation, with moon-lit dinners and strolls on the beach.

Romance is already in the game. It is a nice bonus, and provides a vast opportunity for roleplaying purposes and character-interaction, which this entire game is about. It's no more creepy than the people who originally asked Bioware to make Tali a romance option in Mass Effect. (Granted, that got creepy after-the-fact when people began to break down the chemical composition of her sweat... But I digress!)

Besides, that is neither here nor there. Bioware has already confirmed that it *will* be added. The only question left is how they will add it.

Just... *sigh*

No. Slippery slope does not work like that. At the very least, I'm glad you didn't mention "animals" in that list.

But the game already has interspecies romance. Sith Warrior/Vette springs to mind immediately.

And as for multiple partners? Jade Empire. As a male character, you could end up having a male character get into a threesome with Dawn Star and Silk Fox.

Did I mention that they were cousins?

To restate myself, the topic is now invalid. It was a plea for a confirmation or denial of whether s/s romance would be added.

It will be.

This is not a topic about whether you believe it should or not.

maybe a parental notification for parents to check mark wether or not they want their kids same sex campanion putting the digs on their kids character...

While we are at it though bioware should allow multiple husbands / wives campanions and inter species relationships since that would only be fair to cover all aspects of role playing and game enjoyment. Surely diversity knows no bounds...

Edited by Banetek

maybe a parental notification for parents to check mark wether or not they want their kids same sex campanion putting the digs on their kids character...

While we are at it though bioware should allow multiple husbands / wives campanions and inter species relationships since that would only be fair to cover all aspects of role playing and game enjoyment. Surely diversity knows no bounds...

Please, don't get on your high-horse.

This game deals with genocide, slavery, war, death, murder, non-consensual encounters, infidelity, assassination, torture, disease, poverty, famine, terrorism, and other such subjects.

If homosexual-flirting trumps all those things on your list of things to hide from children, you really should take a long, hard look at your priorities.

Edited by Raiellyn

Hello everyone. The official response on this issue is as follows:

Official statement follows:

Due to the design constraints of a fully voiced MMO of this scale and size, many choices had to be made as to the launch and post-launch feature set. Same gender romances with companion characters in
Star Wars:
The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature. Because The Old Republic is an MMO, the game will live on through content expansions which allow us to include content and features that could not be included at launch, including the addition of more companion characters who will have additional romance options.

There is no further information on this topic at this time. Because of the nature of these threads drifting into off-topic issues surrounding the real-life issues of this subject matter, we will be closing this thread now. Thanks for understanding.