When did Luke Skywalker die?

Jediaidertwo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one complaint I have with the TOR universe, and it is a small one, is that it certainly doesn't seem like technology went anywhere for a few thousand years. Obviously, people don't want to play a game where lightsabers haven't been invented or there is no hyperspace travel and thus no alien races. But they even listen to the same damn music and wear clothes and armor that look virtually identical to what people were wearing thousands of years later. Again, I understand why they did that. You want it to feel like Star Wars. But if you want to get all nerdragey, that's a place where there is a bit of a lapse in logic.

My theory is that the presence of the Force in the galaxy actually stifled technological (and cultural) evolution. Since it is so pervasive (it is all around us, lives within us), the "will" of the force influenced (infected) the consciousness of the galaxy's inhabitants.

The one complaint I have with the TOR universe, and it is a small one, is that it certainly doesn't seem like technology went anywhere for a few thousand years. Obviously, people don't want to play a game where lightsabers haven't been invented or there is no hyperspace travel and thus no alien races. But they even listen to the same damn music and wear clothes and armor that look virtually identical to what people were wearing thousands of years later. Again, I understand why they did that. You want it to feel like Star Wars. But if you want to get all nerdragey, that's a place where there is a bit of a lapse in logic.

What?....Where have you seen the same exact clothing and armor thousands of years later in SW history? Last I checked, there were a number of things that were improved on.

Kolto changing to Bacta

Medical droids becoming more advanced. 21-B medical droid, those were advanced models during the GCW era.

New blaster/ship designs being made, that exceed previous ones. Example: Z-95 headhunter being outclassed by ships that come after it, if technology hadn't advanced then why is it obsolete?

Clothing/Armor style changed, you don't see anyone dressing like Old Republic troopers of civilians.

Things have changed, just look. But this isn't the proper thread for this, so i'll just end it here.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

What?....Where have you seen the same exact clothing and armor thousands of years later in SW history? Last I checked, there were a number of things that were improved on.

Kolto changing to Bacta

Medical droids becoming more advanced. 21-B medical droid, those were advanced models during the GCW era.

New blaster/ship designs being made, that exceed previous ones. Example: Z-95 headhunter being outclassed by ships that come after it, if technology hadn't advanced then why is it obsolete?

Clothing/Armor style changed, you don't see anyone dressing like Old Republic troopers of civilians.

Things have changed, just look. But this isn't the proper thread for this, so i'll just end it here.

What are you talking about? There are some flashier high-end pieces, but the main outfits for most classes look very similar to what we see in the movies. Basic Jedi and Sith robes. Gunslinger gear that looks like something Han might wear. Trooper armor looks much like Clone Trooper armor. Bounty Hunter gear that looks like Boba Fett. Are you really telling me you see a huge difference between these looks from the game to the movies? It's even more clear in KOTOR, where the Jedi robes looked almost identical to what they wear in the movies.

And it isn't just the clothes. The cantina music is the same. The architecture looks the same. Speeders look similar. The ships look strikingly similar. The smuggler's ship and the Ebon Hawk are awfully reminiscent of the Falcon, obviously. The Sith Fury and the Jedi defender have similar designs and color schemes to later models.

I'm sure there are some "advances" that are talked about in the books or what have you, but the world looks strikingly similar.

As I said, this makes sense because people want the game to have a Star Wars "look," but from a logic perspective, it seems unlikely the look of everything would remain that stagnant for 3,000+ years. Music now sounds nothing like it did 100 years ago, let alone 3,000 years ago. Same with clothes and architecture, etc.

There is an author who is good at killing off hero's and main characters of stories and that is STEPHEN KING!!

But he would never touch SW although Dark Tower fans (like myself :p) may remember the many SW references he dropped so he is obviously a fan. Can you imagine a Stephen King SW novel?.....

Have you ever heard of David Gemmell? If he were still alive, I would task him to kill off any character in an epic way. Read the Drenai saga. or Stones of Power for some examples. Even the Waylander series was awesome. The guy could write!

Also, Simon R. Green is excellent, and can write Epic that puts George Lucas to shame. Read the Deathstalker Saga for some over-the-top sci-fantasy that makes Star Wars look like Kindergarten by comparison.

Those are the only two authors I would trust besides R.A. Salvatore to kill off characters in a manner befitting their Hero status.

Edited by Captain_Zone