Would 'No Leader Board' = Better PvP?

Josewales

This goes with epeen, 'hey look at my numbers'. Even myself fall victim to it at the end of the match. But usually I am only concerned with getting 50 kills and zero deaths (the dps goes with the territory)...means my care is in team success from kills and my survivability in zero deaths...means I did my part deducting opponents while we try to control objectives.

But numbers chasers are sure noticed, tickle aoes and refusing to defend a node as example. I play a hybrid slinger....and once in awhile cuz I am bored, I spam dot and use my flyby every chance I get. I dont meltdown opponents but I sure take over top DPS spot when I spam dot my little heart out and chase every big brawl. Opponents are still standing to help pad stats. Their healers do their part also haha.

Now to the question, if we didnt get to see the numbers...noone would notice. And maybe get better objective effort from the epeen?

Edited by Josewales

no. pvp would not be better without leader boards. but I do understand not showing ranks/names below a certain cutoff (maybe 900?) because then it just becomes a point of ridicule rather than bragging rights, which is what it should be (bragging rights).

No. The numbers matter. When you're DPSing and you have less that 1/4 other players DPS numbers, you need to figure out what you can do better. When you're heals are 1/4 the other healers, you need to figure out what YOU can do better. When you're a tank and you have zero protection, unsub.

I never see the point in the whole bragging rights, i mean its a game, what you achieve in the game is rather pointless most, if not all the time you beat some in the game, its not cause you are awesome at it, it just means they are worse then you.

Now if you faced someone that is equally as skilled, geared and everything as you and you win, then you are awesome, otherwise you are just beating someone that isn't as good as you and is not really any different then a level 55 killing a level 10.......pointless.

If i was evem remotely interested in pvp, i wouldn't care about a leaderboard, i don't even bother looking at it....but thats just me.

I never see the point in the whole bragging rights,

stop. we're done here. no offense, but we're talking about rated pvp ratings. rated. the whole point is to establish your rating. be the best. hit a certain mark. etc. so yes, bragging rights go hand in hand with rated.

It might save me from constantly having to see the piss poor players on my teams dps/healing and having to whisper the really bad ones that they are a *********** ****** after each match

Maybe you should get off that RP server you are dominating then and join the main event.

I am pretty sure the people you are abusing just think you are a bobend with an ego and a big mouth.

Edited by ThorgrimLutgen

I never see the point in the whole bragging rights, i mean its a game, what you achieve in the game is rather pointless most, if not all the time you beat some in the game, its not cause you are awesome at it, it just means they are worse then you.

Now if you faced someone that is equally as skilled, geared and everything as you and you win, then you are awesome, otherwise you are just beating someone that isn't as good as you and is not really any different then a level 55 killing a level 10.......pointless.

If i was evem remotely interested in pvp, i wouldn't care about a leaderboard, i don't even bother looking at it....but thats just me.

Dude you don't even do PvP or Ops for that matter. So you really have no idea what you are talking about do you? Please stop posting about things you simply don't know.

stop. we're done here. no offense, but we're talking about rated pvp ratings. rated. the whole point is to establish your rating. be the best. hit a certain mark. etc. so yes, bragging rights go hand in hand with rated.

Its kinda amusing how you've posted 2 responses without actually reading the Original post :p

It just needs an over haul on the medal and ranking system... Also each WZ has different objectives

Passing the ball and catching the ball should be paramount in Hutt Ball more that doing the most DPS

Dying the least in pylons or holding or capping a pylon should be higher medals than death matching... Capturing nodes and holding them and uncapping a bomb on a door... Ninja Capping a door... As it stands ALL the matches are more based on your max DPS or heals, Crits etc... They give lower emphasis on objectives

Of course some matches should have medals based on DPS etc... All I'm saying is they need to customise it for each WZ

It just needs an over haul on the medal and ranking system... Also each WZ has different objectives

Passing the ball and catching the ball should be paramount in Hutt Ball more that doing the most DPS

Dying the least in pylons or holding or capping a pylon should be higher medals than death matching... Capturing nodes and holding them and uncapping a bomb on a door... Ninja Capping a door... As it stands ALL the matches are more based on your max DPS or heals, Crits etc... They give lower emphasis on objectives

Of course some matches should have medals based on DPS etc... All I'm saying is they need to customise it for each WZ

It's not really possible to quantify these results the way you state. For instance, sitting at a pylon can be done by literally anyone without even being tabbed into the game. How could the game recognize the difference between that and 2 people who actually fight off multiple enemies at their node and take it?

How does the game differentiate between a player who is chasing people around 1v1ing, but randomly kills the ball handler and gets the ball only to immediately pass it to someone else so they don't have to be involved and a player who legitimately never touches the ball but keeps mid clear of enemies so his/her team always has control to get the ball when it spawns?

What you call mindlessly DPSing is actual crucial to winning every single warzone in some way. Doing a combination of engaging the enemy and playing objectives is probably optimal unless you are node guarding with no attackers the whole match. Either way, you're going to get to 8 medals which is all that matters to begin with as you get maximum rewards at that point. But believe me, I know who played objectives without needing the scoreboard because I have eyes and pay attention while playing. What I learn from the scoreboard is who on my team was in a fight at mid the entire game and managed 200 DPS.

I disagree. It's not perfect of course, as you've listed some prime examples of things that deserve more medals, but it's actually quite good in the current form imo. The guy who guards all match gets defender medals. The tank who taunts gets protection medals. The healer gets healing medals. The DPS gets DPS medals. Objectives reward medals...overall, it really seems to balance out well I think.

I disagree. It's not perfect of course, as you've listed some prime examples of things that deserve more medals, but it's actually quite good in the current form imo. The guy who guards all match gets defender medals. The tank who taunts gets protection medals. The healer gets healing medals. The DPS gets DPS medals. Objectives reward medals...overall, it really seems to balance out well I think.

Yeah. When I first started with a tank in PvP, I found myself always low on protection. It caused me to do a bit of research and experiment until I found myself doing exactly what a tank in PvP is supposed to be doing. I changed my UI up a bit, made sure I was floating my Guard, single targeting high DPSer's and AoE taunting when in the thick of the enemy to get maximum effect.

Without that score board at the end of a match, I wouldn't know where I was when compared to others and wouldn't have an idea of where I needed to be.

I think the pro's outweigh the con's here.

Its kinda amusing how you've posted 2 responses without actually reading the Original post :p

not sure what you mean. I read the OP. I chose to quote the title. I did, however, stop reading the other quote around where I snipped it, as it was directly related (although not necessarily a response) to my first post.

As an avid pvper, and multi season all-star now, I can say FOR SURE, rated pvp would improve 10fold if there were no leader boards. This is ESPECIALLY true for team rateds. There are a lot of players that don't do both solo nor team ranked because if you don't have any rating, no one knows how actually bad you are. And lets face it, since there is no true ELO-Matchmaking (because of lack of participating) it's not exactly beneficial to having ELO or leader boards anyway.

They with out a doubt should remove them. And keep in mind, I love the e-peen of leader boards. But it's definitely hurting the game in my opinion.

If you meant: In-Game end of the match stat boards....well then those should definitely stay.

Edited by SOULCASTER

Rating only in group ranked. More PvP-rs in solo, more PvP-rs in group.

Honestly, I think it should be the other way around. Since they won't delete solo-ranked (like they should), it would be MORE beneficial to have no team rating, and let the teams just queue up to fight. I garauntee you'd see more teams and more fun.

Or rather, there should be team rating. But maybe in-game only. Not displayed on any forums or leader boards.

Edited by SOULCASTER

As an avid pvper, and multi season all-star now, I can say FOR SURE, rated pvp would improve 10fold if there were no leader boards. This is ESPECIALLY true for team rateds. There are a lot of players that don't do both solo nor team ranked because if you don't have any rating, no one knows how actually bad you are. And lets face it, since there is no true ELO-Matchmaking (because of lack of participating) it's not exactly beneficial to having ELO or leader boards anyway.

They with out a doubt should remove them. And keep in mind, I love the e-peen of leader boards. But it's definitely hurting the game in my opinion.

If you meant: In-Game end of the match stat boards....well then those should definitely stay.

I understand what you're saying, but I think history has already proven that this wouldn't work. there weren't any leader boards in 8v8, and those queues were also ghost towns. the issue with grp is that the teams are always the same. unless you happen to be close in skill with the 1-3 teams in the queue (on a good night!), you aren't going to bring your team into the slaugher house. part of that is/was protecting your own rating. part of that is it's just not fun to be annihilated and spawn camped. the fact of the matter is that not enough teams queue, nor have they ever queued (for various issues, some on the players, some on BW). at least in solo queue, you can still have the same 10 or so ppl in queue but you'll likely get different teams/matches every time (unless there's only one set of healers or tanks, which in itself can decide the match, but that's another can of worms).

TL; DR: once pecking order is established, there's very little incentive for the vast majority to enter the fray. existence of public ratings hasn't had any effect on that dynamic.