Sith Juggernaut - DPS?

Kraytose

Short answer is yes. Jugg's are one of the top DPS in most parsed fights I've seen to date. The combination of their Damage potential (read potential) and their sturdiness makes for an excellent addition to any group or Ops team. With 2 caveats:

they are still a technically challenging class to play, even when your just doing DPS. you have to manage your timing, CD's, and rage effectively, though Vengance is more forgiving then Rage specs.

Secondly, in spite of the parses, in spite of the evidence, in spite of the proof that MMO Dev's can build a tank class that can also DPS well....there are those in the community who stick to old Paradigms like a Tank class cannot DPS. This is further reinforced by negative experiences with Jugg's who didn't play their class well.

In total, Juggs are great DPS, but be prepared for an occasional uphill battle in dealing with opinions. But don't let them convince you otherwise...the Jugg is a great class whether tanking or dishing out the pain.

So what is a dps spec jugg then? I'm new to juggs and am immortal.

Are the dps trees mOre like off tanks that do better Damage, but not dedicated dps class damage?

Is speccing in dps a waste of time for us?

Man I just want to kill stuff and be wanted in groups.

Immortal is the tanking tree. Vengeance and Rage are the damage trees. If you choose a damage tree, you will have a slightly higher survivability than a marauder but a marauder will have slightly better dps options. But, a marauder will never be able to go into Soresu form to tank adds or taunt an add off of a healer. Or guard another player.

Any group that doesn't see the benefits of having either advanced class with them isn't worth joining in the first place.

Short answer is yes. Jugg's are one of the top DPS in most parsed fights I've seen to date. The combination of their Damage potential (read potential) and their sturdiness makes for an excellent addition to any group or Ops team. With 2 caveats:

they are still a technically challenging class to play, even when your just doing DPS. you have to manage your timing, CD's, and rage effectively, though Vengance is more forgiving then Rage specs.

Secondly, in spite of the parses, in spite of the evidence, in spite of the proof that MMO Dev's can build a tank class that can also DPS well....there are those in the community who stick to old Paradigms like a Tank class cannot DPS. This is further reinforced by negative experiences with Jugg's who didn't play their class well.

In total, Juggs are great DPS, but be prepared for an occasional uphill battle in dealing with opinions. But don't let them convince you otherwise...the Jugg is a great class whether tanking or dishing out the pain.

as of 1.3, if the current build goes live, this is no longer true... come 1.3, Juggernaut is a tank only class. Rage (at least inside WZs) is dead. Vengeance... I dont know, been long since I tried it in PvP. Current, they are great, if played well, but that will all change, unless they change their mind about the nerfs to relics and abilities.

Edited by Fallerup

Can they do the same as a Marauder? no.

False. I routinely do more damage than similarly geared Mara's.

There are good players and there are bad players. A jugg in the hands of a skilled player will do similiar, if not more, damage than a mara.

To the OP:

The real answer is to play what you enjoy. Don't play a class simply because it's trending as highest potential damage output. Patches switch things up. What dominates now may be lackluster tomorrow. If you play a Flavor of the Month class that you hate to play simply because it's currently top of the heap, you're going to have a miserable time playing the game.

Well, i've beaten plenty of Mara in my guild and in PuGs in damage, but the best mara in my guild, i've never beaten at all, beyond a few fights like Kelphuss where I get to abuse Sweeping Slash (And if his still cost 1 rage, he'd beat me there, too). I'm not sure what he does different from other Mara's, but I've never been able to bridge that gap, and no more gear left for me to aug or optimize, either.

If you really want to just do dps and never tank, you really would be better off going Mara. They do better damage (I mean, many of the attacks we share do the same but have an extra offhand swing for them, and their stance gives a sizable +10% bonus damage.)

A Mara is also more durable than a DPS Jugg, as even in enrage situations, he'll have 6 seconds to try and seal the deal, and force camo, while nerfed, is still awesome when you know you're going to take a hit. He'll also boost the damage of the group a bit with his Op wide damage buff. That said, Jugg also has a nice armor down debuff, so if the other 3 dps in your guild our Sorc, Ops, and PT's, yeah, a Jugg will be better in that Situation.

I've got no complains in PvP however, as while I do less damage than a Mara, I make up for it by being an awesome hutt ball carrier (still completely in a 4/35/2 build), able to flip to sorsue, guard, intercede and AoE taunt to bail a healer out of trouble, and unstoppable is pretty amazing at the moment. Not great against good players, who, if they time it right, can still Knock me out of the last ravage hit, but in unrated, that's not most folks.

Veng damage is better than it appears, too, as it's all single target, so no inflation at all. Crit vicious throws+choke and push does a great job of finishing up healers, and unless an ally comes to help them out, or the Merc pops his shield above 50% hp, they won't get a channel heal off until they die. Compared to Sorc in my guild, who while they rack up more raw damage than me, that's largely because they're not actually killing things quickly, and are doing something like 40k damage to down a target, rather than the 25k or so I do.

as of 1.3, if the current build goes live, this is no longer true... come 1.3, Juggernaut is a tank only class. Rage (at least inside WZs) is dead. Vengeance... I dont know, been long since I tried it in PvP. Current, they are great, if played well, but that will all change, unless they change their mind about the nerfs to relics and abilities.

PvP maybe - I don't really PvP anymore so I can't comment. Vengeance DPS for PvE has stayed more or less exactly the same so DPS Juggs will still remain perfectly viable at end game pve.

I would get more than one person's opinion.

Can Juggernauts do decent dps? yeah.

Can they do the same as a Marauder? no.

If I were you, I would do more research before you make a decision that you may or may not regret.

I love posts like this. It's a should they do more damage when you look at it on paper. The marauder SHOULD do the most damage in the game. Problem is most marauders are bad. I know in Ambient's Ops 1 their juggernaut DPS was usually 3rd, of course if you ask an Ops 2 guys (mine) opinion Ops 1 DPS was bad. Guess that explains why.

However a juggernaut DPS adds another interesting factor to the raid. He can switch to tanking stance immediately when the main tank dies and hold the boss until the main tank is revived.

The painful part of a damage spec is that you don't get access to a damage style until the second level of that tree, which can be four or five levels. also, you would need to learn the difference between a focus and a sheild generator. but heavy armor generally has better stats than medium, and you will replace a focus far less than you will have to upgrade lightsabers, esentially making mara twice as costly to upgrade the weapons for as jugg.

and thats if you can find two lightabers to use that don't suck.

the changes don't impact Vengeance DPS much at all. were retaining the same bonus from SSM that we had prior to the nerf. nothing else is changed for the Vengance tree. Can't comment on Rage nor PvP, though early testers are saying that Rage is still a good spec.

The changes actually impact 3 areas the most: hybrid tanks, full immortal tanks, and hybrid tank/PvP specs. Immortal's damage was gutted, though their threat (which really wasn't a huge issue) was buffed to an EZ mode level. The only parting gift they got from this aside from the threat was a bit more DR (from SSM), and their 31pt got morphed into a 3 target AoE. but they lost a ton of damage for this. enough that it could hamper their progress as main tanks, and overall enjoyment during the leveling process (leveling opinion is subjective, but immortals doo too little damage already). teh same changes to SSM hit hybrids very hard as well. especially PvP/tank hybrids that relied on the extra damage to offset their defensive setup.

But DPS will be fine for PvE if thats what you are going to play OP. I'd recommend Vengance if you choose the Jugg. I'm waiting to see how Rage plays out.

• 8 months later...

I've run both and prefer the Jugg over the Mara.

A Jugg dps hits hard and can take a beating. Has the option to tank and taunt on the fly if needed. Intercede helps out if worked into a habit for long raids.

A Mara can dish out pain fast but is on the squishy side. Blood thirst and predation are very useful in Ops.