Entrenched Snipers, any suggestions to counter?

zoranporan

Snipers/Slingers are a pretty tough matchup for the Dual saber wielders regardless of spec, really. I would suggest breaking line of sight, force him to move or wait out entrench. Or perhaps position yourself against a wall, so his pulse charge doesn't knock you out of meele range, of course this isn't always possible. Unless he is just a bad player, you can do everything right and you still might not win.

usally don't have problemes with any classes in wz moshpits. was thinking more of an 1v1 situation.

i ALLWAYS postion my self towards a knockback, even if there isnt a wall/block right behind i postion my self to lower the range of the knockback. not to mention that i rarely FC in on knockback classes.

can they be knocked back? im guessing its an controlling ability?

You can't use disruption on them when they're in cover, let alone entrenched.

Just wait it out if possible. Tbh it's not that different from regular cover from a marauders perspective, you just can't choke 'em. It's more effective against classes like operative/assassin who rely on stuns.

Edited by Sinsavz

Apart from Disruption, and Camo; pretty much screwed?

Yeah, from my experience, you don't really want to go one on one with a sniper if you are a marauder. Any good sniper worth his salt will be able to spot your twin sabers from afar, and kill you before you can get within striking distance.

Unless, of course, he's distracted and you can get the jump on him.

Yeah, from my experience, you don't really want to go one on one with a sniper if you are a marauder. Any good sniper worth his salt will be able to spot your twin sabers from afar, and kill you before you can get within striking distance.

Unless, of course, he's distracted and you can get the jump on him.

This

It's pretty much advisable to just leave Gunslingers/Sniper alone and let the others deal with them. 1v1 you simply will NOT beat them unless they're a complete putz and don't know how to play their class. Especially when they pop that screen up that makes them immune to stuns for 15 seconds you're just SoL. The kicker is the skill is only on a 1 minute cooldown, so you can usually assume they'll have it up and ready for ya.

On a side note, on the off-day when I decide to mess around on my Gunslinger, I absolutely love picking fights with Marauders/Sentinels. They just can't beat me, heck especially now with the retarded resolve system. Can't be stunned, while in cover can't be interrupted, depending on spec they can have 2 knockbacks, leg shot is 15 seconds cooldown and handy immobilize to make sure they can't run away from an Aimed Shot (2.5 second charge time). The 1 saving grace for a Marauder going against a Sniper is that Obfuscate is GOLD. You see him charging up an Aimed Shot you just pop an Obfuscate and watch him miss ya

Couple of things:

1. Entrench is 20 secs long, not 15. Also, MM tree can spec so that it only has a 45 sec CD, so if you see the followthrough icon pop up after a snipe/ambush then you know he could have a shortened entrench cd.

2. Obfuscate is worthless against a lethality or engineering sniper since their attacks are tech attacks so beware, if you're green/have an annoying probe on you AND slowed obfuscate isn't going to do much.

3. Just like operatives, your ravage is going to be worthless against a decent sniper because we have evasion as well, so be prepared for the little green bubble the sec we see your channeled ability. It has a 1 min cd but i highly doubt with TTK that you will have the time to pop a second ravage in a fight with a sniper.

4. Finally, just send in a shadow/operative to blow us up, its much easier than blowing all your cd's just to MAYBE kill a sniper, or if you're on a window-licker pug group who just lets a sniper pick people off, then it might be worth your effort, but most likely you will die unless they are terrible.

2. Obfuscate is worthless against a lethality or engineering sniper since their attacks are tech attacks so beware, if you're green/have an annoying probe on you AND slowed obfuscate isn't going to do much.

Obfuscate works very well on Lethality. Most of damage are Tech, but most of them procs on a ranged ability which is Cull. If Cull misses, they hardly do more damage than a MarksManship specced one under Obfuscate (You just have 2 DoTs on you instead of 1)

Edited by Altheran

I love this thread. I don't even have a Sentinel or Marauder (not even level 1), but it's nice to see a thread where people suggest actual ways to counter something that's difficult for a class or even the best suggestion of all: try to avoid 1v1s against a class with a lot of counters for your class. So many other threads in this forum end up being requests for how Bioware should nerf the class that's causing the struggle (for instance, do not ever wander into a Commando or Merc thread). Yes, some classes are better than others, specifically in 1v1s - your choices are to complain about it or to try to learn how to deal with it.

So, good job, Marauders.

I love this thread. I don't even have a Sentinel or Marauder (not even level 1), but it's nice to see a thread where people suggest actual ways to counter something that's difficult for a class or even the best suggestion of all: try to avoid 1v1s against a class with a lot of counters for your class. So many other threads in this forum end up being requests for how Bioware should nerf the class that's causing the struggle (for instance, do not ever wander into a Commando or Merc thread). Yes, some classes are better than others, specifically in 1v1s - your choices are to complain about it or to try to learn how to deal with it.

So, good job, Marauders.

Except for the fact that Marauders and Snipers are both strong PVP classes with lots of utility and Merc/Commandos are completely shafted in PVP.

So yeah...good job for not whining...wait you have nothing to whine about because you are one of the strongest PVP classes in the game. Hmm...

Except for the fact that Marauders and Snipers are both strong PVP classes with lots of utility and Merc/Commandos are completely shafted in PVP.

So yeah...good job for not whining...wait you have nothing to whine about because you are one of the strongest PVP classes in the game. Hmm...

Aaaaaaaaand there it is.

Aaaaaaaaand there it is.

It would be one thing if other classes ACTUALLY HAD counters to certain abilities. Unfortunately, some classes just get shafted, and the only "counter" is to reroll a better class; which a lot of us have done.

You are trying to take the high road here, but your presuppossition is incorrect. Bioware did not make a bunch of diverse balanced class, with equal tools. There actually is a serious problem with PVP whether you want to admit it or not.

Edited by Phasersablaze

It would be one thing if other classes ACTUALLY HAD counters to certain abilities. Unfortunately, some classes just get shafted, and the only "counter" is to reroll a better class; which a lot of us have done.

You are trying to take the high road here, but your presuppossition is incorrect. Bioware did not make a bunch of diverse balanced class, with equal tools. There actually is a serious problem with PVP whether you want to admit it or not.

The only serious problem with PvP for me is that I enjoy it so much. And I don't play either of the "strong PvP" classes mentioned above. So, maybe everyone would be better off embracing the differences between the classes and having fun instead of trying to make them all identical. I've been having an absolute blast on my 46 Commando in the lowbie zones. Sure, it'll be harder in the 50s, but I'll use that as a chance to try to get better.

The only serious problem with PvP for me is that I enjoy it so much. And I don't play either of the "strong PvP" classes mentioned above. So, maybe everyone would be better off embracing the differences between the classes and having fun instead of trying to make them all identical. I've been having an absolute blast on my 46 Commando in the lowbie zones. Sure, it'll be harder in the 50s, but I'll use that as a chance to try to get better.

I'm sure you would. Try playing that commando at 50 for 6 months in PVP and then come back here and see if you still have your blind optimism. If you actually did that, I would venture to guess that the words you would use might be "weak" "underpowered" or "lacking tools" instead of just "different"

Mercenaries aren't arguing for change because they are all bad players; despite what you think. They actually are pretty gimped. There is nothing wrong with voicing that on the forums either, so you can stop acting like they are all just spoiled crybabies who can't L2P their class. You are blind if you don't see a massivle imballance in PVP.

I'm sure you would. Try playing that commando at 50 for 6 months in PVP and then come back here and see if you still have your blind optimism. If you actually did that, I would venture to guess that the words you would use might be "weak" "underpowered" or "lacking tools" instead of just "different"

Mercenaries aren't arguing for change because they are all bad players; despite what you think. They actually are pretty gimped. There is nothing wrong with voicing that on the forums either, so you can stop acting like they are all just spoiled crybabies who can't L2P their class. You are blind if you don't see a massivle imballance in PVP.

I didn't say Merc players are all bad (that wouldn't make much sense) or that they don't need a buff (I've actually said a few times that they probably still do). What I am saying is that there's a difference between playing a weaker class but trying to find ways to succeed anyway and playing a weaker class and complaining on the forums about not being able to 1v1 a class that's more or less designed to beat you in a 1v1.

I didn't say Merc players are all bad (that wouldn't make much sense) or that they don't need a buff (I've actually said a few times that they probably still do). What I am saying is that there's a difference between playing a weaker class but trying to find ways to succeed anyway and playing a weaker class and complaining on the forums about not being able to 1v1 a class that's more or less designed to beat you in a 1v1.

That's great, but it gets old after you realize that there are a whole lot of classes that are "designed to beat you."

Like I said before, your pre-supposition is flawed. The only "success" to be had on a mercenary is topping charts in unranked PVP when the opposing team is very bad. There is nothing mercenaries can do better than any other class, and there is no reason to ever have one on a ranked team. Taking a DPS mercenary on a ranked team is a liability. There is nothing wrong with voicing the incredibly unfair PVP imballances on the forums, and you should not turn up your nose at people who do.

That's great, but it gets old after you realize that there are a whole lot of classes that are "designed to beat you."

Like I said before, your pre-supposition is flawed. The only "success" to be had on a mercenary is topping charts in unranked PVP when the opposing team is very bad. There is nothing mercenaries can do better than any other class, and there is no reason to ever have one on a ranked team. Taking a DPS mercenary on a ranked team is a liability. There is nothing wrong with voicing the incredibly unfair PVP imballances on the forums, and you should not turn up your nose at people who do.

Except that you came into a thread for MARAUDERS to discuss how to counter snipers to complain about how OP you think we.

Respectfully, Get out.

Except that you came into a thread for MARAUDERS to discuss how to counter snipers to complain about how OP you think we.

Respectfully, Get out.

No. I browse all the class forums and I only responded to rob_y's flawed thinking. As if all the classes are perfectly balanced and anyone who says differently is just a QQ crybaby. I don't believe I have said anything about Marauders being OP (although they are by any standard). So if you want to open up that can of worms go ahead. I was simply correcting false thinking.

Is it possible to sound any more like a crybaby? There are plenty of classes that kill my marauder every single warzone, saying they are OP is a excuse for players who refuse to learn class abilties and counters. BW has had multiple chances to nerf marauders and they havent for a reason. Yes you can argue rage needs a change but whining about your class in the marauder forum isnt going to get a dev to notice or make any progress on the state of your merc, you just look like a tantrum throwing baby.