Armor Penetration Question

chosonman

Does having more than 100% armor penetration have any added benefits like Accuracy?

For example. If my Combat Sentinel Stacks Precision Strike with Armor Penetration Amplifiers it should give me about 110% armor penetration during the Precision Strike window....

and will sunder give me an addition 20% armor penetration to a max of 130%?

It does not do anything additional armor is a hard mitigation stat. Accuracy is the first roll on an attack and it rolls directly against opponents defense chance to determine whether the attack lands on your target or misses.

The journey an attack makes after getting pressed:

Your accuracy vs. Opponents Defense = % Hit Chance

If your % Hit chance < 100%

% Hit chance rolls a miss = No damage

% Hit chance rolls hit = Damage

If Damage then it rolls Your Damage Produced

% Critical Hit Chance rolls a Standard : Damage Produced = (Attack Damage + Bonus Damage)

% Critical Hit Chance rolls a Critical : Damage Produced = (Attack Damage + Bonus Damage) + ( (Attack Damage + Bonus Damage) * Surge %)

If Damage Produced then it rolls Your opponents Damage Received

% Shield Chance rolls a Standard : Damage Received = (Damage Produced)

% Shield Chance rolls an Absorb : Damage Received = (Damage Produced) - ( (Damage Produced) * Absorb %)

If Damage Received then it Calculates Your opponents Damage Taken

Damage Taken = (Damage Received ) - ( (Damage Received ) * Armor %)

Tanks = 5% - 30% defense depending on gear

Inquisitors / Sages = 10% base defense

Everyone else = 5% Base defense

So if you have 110% accuracy and you are fighting, say my marauder with the standard 5% Defense

You would Actually have 105% accuracy, but against him the extra 5% accuracy doesn't do anything more you would have just as much accuracy at 105% effectively becoming 100% in this instance, which is why many players go with 105%.

As for the armor penetration its the opposite, the hard mitigation is the last roll that gets made, it doesnt make for reliable burst even at a 100% in pvp because it has a chance to be defended or mitigated, making its effectiveness situational, and its reliability is questionable at best. you are better off focusing higher up on the equation.

I main a Carnage marauder, i dont think theres another class that feels and plays so differently In PVE and in PVP.

aaaanyway... not sure why i sat down and wrote this wall of text lol (damn servers down n ****) hopefully i made some sense and got a few things right... kbye

Not all other classes are at 5% but it's close enough tbh.

For PvE armor pen is great, I do recommend getting both sets of what you want to use for PvP.

For example, armor penetration by basic understanding will basically negate a % of armor the player has.

That armor gives DR, therefore you're bypassing some of their armor DR, increasing your damage to them.

Classes with high armor or capabilities to get high armor (Powertech) seems pretty useful, but outside of that it often underperforms in comparison for PvP. The reason being most classes don't have tons of armor to penetrate and even if you did penetrate it all it wouldn't be as much gain as Tech wiz, for example.

Not all other classes are at 5% but it's close enough tbh.

For PvE armor pen is great, I do recommend getting both sets of what you want to use for PvP.

For example, armor penetration by basic understanding will basically negate a % of armor the player has.

That armor gives DR, therefore you're bypassing some of their armor DR, increasing your damage to them.

Classes with high armor or capabilities to get high armor (Powertech) seems pretty useful, but outside of that it often underperforms in comparison for PvP. The reason being most classes don't have tons of armor to penetrate and even if you did penetrate it all it wouldn't be as much gain as Tech wiz, for example.

if you are arsenal merc what amplifier would be best in pvp?

Armor Penetration, because it stacks with the 30% passive armor penetration arsenal gets effectively getting 52.5% armor penetration on every attack with 100% uptime, plus as a bonus none of the abilities which temporarily increase armor pen can take you past 100%, otherwise you would have to consider/calculate the diminishing returns for the wasted armor pen, as it stands it is the spec that gets the biggest benefit from that amp and still is only slightly better than tech due to the way damage and mitigation is calculated

if you are arsenal merc what amplifier would be best in pvp?

Best varies, but, I have tried both and I prefer 5% expertise with 5% tech wiz. I also do the same for Fury/Rage, while hitting targets with less armor you will find not only the highest hits being higher, you'll find on average hits to be higher too. While on targets with high armor, you'll hit on average lower.. But, honestly, in PvP, you should actively try not to hit those targets.