STAR WARS and bad writers...

Gorra-Syn

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Abyssians also live for thousands of years, and have regenerative abilities that rival the Gen'dai.

No. They don't live for thousands of years. Seriously, if you're going to give information, you should actually know what you're talking about.

Cad Bane and Tenebrae/Vitiate/Sith Emperor come to mind right off the top of my head.

Sooo where did you find information that Cad Bane is over a thousand years old exactly?? This is news to me.

As for Vitiate yes theres one.

The Abyyssin? I'm sorry but that is also untrue, they do not live for thousands of years.

So far only one, its looking pretty spectacular at the moment....

If in fact Durge then yes, but Cad Bane most definitely did not. So we have two.

My point is how is living over thousands of years not spectacular? Common is something it is not, and from what I see, it is quite rare.

No. They don't live for thousands of years. Seriously, if you're going to give information, you should actually know what you're talking about.

yeah i'm pretty sure they can only live a couple hundred years not thousands. Also Cad Bane is a Duorus .

Speaking of isn't there an Abyssian on Koriban?

Edited by jarjarloves

The Dashade do. Sorry, got them mixed up earlier too. Durge, Dashade, and good ol' Vitiate, just to name some of them. Most Dashade die in battle, but Khem Val's old adversary

(who wasn't in stasis for millenia) being alive in TOR (until the SI and Khem kill him) is proof of that.

To clarify: I was thinking of Durge earlier and got him mixed up with Cad Bane for some reason. Profession, most likely. Also, I got the Dashade mixed up with the Abyssians. My bad on both. Also, I was at work at the time, on break. :p

Gen'Dai are also a race that is very long-lived. Durge IS a Gen'Dai, after all. lol

Edited by Captain_Zone

This seems to be a very big problem with Star Wars today. How many more "over the top" Sith or Jedi must we see before someone wakes up? If I published a Star Wars book, and my Sith character could desintegrate a person with only a look.. or destroy an entire galaxy with a thought, would he be one of the most powerful Sith ever?..yes but he would also be very lame. It seems that writers today have no idea what Star Wars is or needs to be, and of course GL only wants the money and cares nothing of the EU. I remember as a little boy watching Luke block blaster fire from the training droid and all I could say was "woooww".. then to do it with his eyes covered?? I was blown away. These days, Jedi/Sith are more along the lines of Superman.. it's over kill. If all I knew of Star Wars was the movies, I would think the Jedi are just normal people, but when they "quiet their mind" they can do amazing things. Most writers have just taken this idea and thrown it away. If I was pure evil,and could fight like Rambo, would I be more of danger to mankind than people like Hitler, Pol Pot, or Stalin?? Well of course not, it takes more to be a great villain.

All too often we get characters that are way over the top, when does it stop? When is it too much? The writers (all EU,not just books) need to think more before they deliver a product, and stop trying to out do the last guy. Give us something with some meat on it,and not just some guy that can kill everything..end of story. Look at comic books.. can Superman beat Batman? hell yeah he can, and yet Batman is every bit as popular, why is this? It's because he has a rich story and a great cast a villains and the reader can relate with him more. Give us some great Sith and Jedi, but for cry'n out loud calm down with the lame "uberness". Also it's is a very big deal when a Jedi turns to the dark side.. it's a "fall from grace" if you will. It's an even bigger deal to see one that can come back,thats why Vader's redemption was such a big deal. Maybe thats why they have statues of them in the Jedi library... the lost 20. Ill bet they have more statues down in the basement... the redeemed 60?? Come on people, a fall to the dark side is like a black hole, not a trip to the store for eggs and milk!! I don't know about you,but I would take a weak Sith with a great and calmer story over an over the top Sith any day. Maybe it's just me... what do you think? Please share.

Cheers ;)

Very well written, i feel the same way. I wonder if the SWTOR writers really didnt know any better or they thought thats what Star Wars fans wanted?

Still trying to recover from the shock of seeing a common sense post on these forums.

The only reason even such a thing happens is because of power creep on behalf of everyone else.

Key words in bold. That's the problem right there, OP. And I agree that it becomes rather ridiculous past a certain point.

This seems to be a very big problem with Star Wars today. How many more "over the top" Sith or Jedi must we see before someone wakes up? If I published a Star Wars book, and my Sith character could desintegrate a person with only a look.. or destroy an entire galaxy with a thought, would he be one of the most powerful Sith ever?..yes but he would also be very lame. It seems that writers today have no idea what Star Wars is or needs to be, and of course GL only wants the money and cares nothing of the EU. I remember as a little boy watching Luke block blaster fire from the training droid and all I could say was "woooww".. then to do it with his eyes covered?? I was blown away. These days, Jedi/Sith are more along the lines of Superman.. it's over kill. If all I knew of Star Wars was the movies, I would think the Jedi are just normal people, but when they "quiet their mind" they can do amazing things. Most writers have just taken this idea and thrown it away. If I was pure evil,and could fight like Rambo, would I be more of danger to mankind than people like Hitler, Pol Pot, or Stalin?? Well of course not, it takes more to be a great villain.

All too often we get characters that are way over the top, when does it stop? When is it too much? The writers (all EU,not just books) need to think more before they deliver a product, and stop trying to out do the last guy. Give us something with some meat on it,and not just some guy that can kill everything..end of story. Look at comic books.. can Superman beat Batman? hell yeah he can, and yet Batman is every bit as popular, why is this? It's because he has a rich story and a great cast a villains and the reader can relate with him more. Give us some great Sith and Jedi, but for cry'n out loud calm down with the lame "uberness". Also it's is a very big deal when a Jedi turns to the dark side.. it's a "fall from grace" if you will. It's an even bigger deal to see one that can come back,thats why Vader's redemption was such a big deal. Maybe thats why they have statues of them in the Jedi library... the lost 20. Ill bet they have more statues down in the basement... the redeemed 60?? Come on people, a fall to the dark side is like a black hole, not a trip to the store for eggs and milk!! I don't know about you,but I would take a weak Sith with a great and calmer story over an over the top Sith any day. Maybe it's just me... what do you think? Please share.

Cheers ;)

Nothing wrong with other writers making unique and powerful force characters. But make the characters have purpose and make a good storyline. Worse EU characters are starkiller who just wants a freaking date. He is just a force user stalker nothing more. He wasn't out to save or conquer a galaxy just get a date with juno eclipse. And wants to fight vader because he interferes with his date. Seriously Lucasarts?

Darth Maul was great. Revan/Exile and even Kyle Katarn were great characters that added depth to star wars.

But we don't need no crappy mini starkillers like Ahsoka Tano which is basically same character but a kid. Can't fool me Lucasarts and GL.

GL just made his main characters weak, not the fault of other writers. He gave approval for Starkiller to own Vader and Sidious in the TFU games. If we can blame anyone lets go to the source.

The ironic thing is, George Lucas is one of the worst writers of them all. There is a pretty long list of authors who write better Star Wars stories than he does.

Tim Zahn

Michael A. Stackpole

Aaron Allston

K.W. Jeter

Barbara Hambly

Kevin J. Anderson

Brian Daley

A.C. Crispin

R.A. Salvatore

Chris Avellone

Drew Karpyshyn, even.

Those are just the ones I can think of, at the moment. lol

The ironic thing is, George Lucas is one of the worst writers of them all. There is a pretty long list of authors who write better Star Wars stories than he does.

There is an interesting site where they have the old treatments/scripts. And the first sketch to what would be "A new hope" is really confusing. For the final script, he already had two other writers, who helped him with the dialogues. Do not think, that he wrote any script to the movies alone. In an interview, he said once, that he does not like the writing process very much and had hard times when working on the script for "A new hope".

There is an interesting site where they have the old treatments/scripts. And the first sketch to what would be "A new hope" is really confusing. For the final script, he already had two other writers, who helped him with the dialogues. Do not think, that he wrote any script to the movies alone. In an interview, he said once, that he does not like the writing process very much and had hard times when working on the script for "A new hope".

Well, at least we have what we have today, because of George Lucas.

Like the ideas of Star Wars, and Indiana Jones.

Well, at least we have what we have today, because of George Lucas.

Like the ideas of Star Wars, and Indiana Jones.

Don't give sole credit for Indiana Jones to George. Stephen Spielberg co-created the character, and co-wrote the movies, as well as directing them.

Don't give sole credit for Indiana Jones to George. Stephen Spielberg co-created the character, and co-wrote the movies, as well as directing them.

Frank Marshall also played a huge role in the devlopment of the Indian Jones character and Raiders in general. Plus Kasdan was brought aboard to write the script after he had impressed Lucas with his work picking up where Leigh Brackett left off in Empire.

Tim Zahn

Michael A. Stackpole

Aaron Allston

K.W. Jeter

Barbara Hambly

Kevin J. Anderson

Brian Daley

A.C. Crispin

R.A. Salvatore

Chris Avellone

Drew Karpyshyn, even.

Those are just the ones I can think of, at the moment. lol

Allston is good when he's writing X-Wing and focusing on writing Wedge, Janson, Hobbie and his own characters. I haven't enjoyed his work in FOTJ or LOTF though alot of that might because I don't like the direction those series have took. Also he sometimes struggles with characterizations of other writers creations, namely Corran Horn as an example. Though to be fair Corran is always at his best when Stackpole's writing him though Zahn has a great grasp of him as well.

Allston is good when he's writing X-Wing and focusing on writing Wedge, Janson, Hobbie and his own characters. I haven't enjoyed his work in FOTJ or LOTF though alot of that might because I don't like the direction those series have took. Also he sometimes struggles with characterizations of other writers creations, namely Corran Horn as an example. Though to be fair Corran is always at his best when Stackpole's writing him though Zahn has a great grasp of him as well.

It's hard for some authors to work with characters they didn't create or help develop. Look at the Travissty that took place with Mara Jade. (yes, the misspelled pun was intended)

But seriously, Allston still rips Traviss a new one in the writing department. lol

Those book series' themselves were just wrong, imo. After reading up on them, and actually reading a couple novels in the series, they really don't have the "Star Wars Feel" that the previous novels had. It shouldn't be about "What well liked and established character should we kill off now?"

Edited by Captain_Zone

It's hard for some authors to work with characters they didn't create or help develop. Look at the Travissty that took place with Mara Jade. (yes, the misspelled pun was intended)

But seriously, Allston still rips Traviss a new one in the writing department. lol

Those book series' themselves were just wrong, imo. After reading up on them, and actually reading a couple novels in the series, they really don't have the "Star Wars Feel" that the previous novels had. It shouldn't be about "What well liked and established character should we kill off now?"

Well Karen Traviss is easily the worst writer to ever pen a Star Wars novel. Her hatred for jedi and unabased worship of the Mando's made me want to pull my hair out. Also the way she handled Mara and her death was unforgivable. Add in her arrogant and *****ly approach to the fan's rightful criticism and you have one writer who should never write for Star Wars again. Luckily the combination of her attitude towards fan criticism and the headaches her writing caused for Denning and Allston contributed to LFL and Del Ray to end their relationship with her.

Completely disagree with the OP. Though yes EVERY franchise has some bad writers.....but Superman level...you've been reading too much poor DC comics to get a twisted vision like that. How are the Jedi or Sith all at that level? Hell we see a Sith getting his *** kicked by a knife in his back then a blaster to the back of his head in Legacy .

I think you are taking one or two decades-old accounts and creating a sterotype that isn't there.