Bioware working on MMO set in EU time period..

Lendrick

I am hoping that BIOWARE is working in secret on a EU time period Star Wars MMO, with the upcoming Episode VII, it is the perfect time to really capitalize on the new found hype and interest. I would say use something like either the Unreal Engine 4 or a highly modified HERO engine, have it take cues from SWG, (such as no classes, skill based and the ability to be a "force sensitive" (small % chance during character creation) and to make it REALLY difficult to be a Jedi (as I am sure the Pre-CU SWG hardcore fans would agree).

Have an actual, proper space simulation (with up gradable ships) and keep what is good about what BIOWARE does best (story). If they have (hopefully) been working in secret on it during the last couple of years, (it could be due to be launched between episodes VII and VIII - so 2016 - 2017).

We know they cancelled their project to put more people working on Old Republic (or was that just a misleading tidbit, those people ARE working on a star wars project....)

Here's hoping, I for one, would be there day one!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hoping that BIOWARE is working in secret on a EU time period Star Wars MMO, with the upcoming Episode VII, it is the perfect time to really capitalize on the new found hype and interest. I would say use something like either the Unreal Engine 4 or a highly modified HERO engine, have it take cues from SWG, (such as no classes, skill based and the ability to be a "force sensitive" (small % chance during character creation) and to make it REALLY difficult to be a Jedi (as I am sure the Pre-CU SWG hardcore fans would agree).

Have an actual, proper space simulation (with up gradable ships) and keep what is good about what BIOWARE does best (story). If they have (hopefully) been working in secret on it during the last couple of years, (it could be due to be launched between episodes VII and VIII - so 2016 - 2017).

We know they cancelled their project to put more people working on Old Republic (or was that just a misleading tidbit, those people ARE working on a star wars project....)

If I am not mistaken the announcement by Disney is that all "new" Star Wars projects will be in the "new Canon". As such beyond single player games with little story I would suspect we have to wait until a little be more of the "new canon" is out there in order to provide a framework to base a story around that Disney's "story team" will approve of.

I would actually dispute that your last statement is entire acfcurate. Bioware recently announced that they are canceling Shadow Realms and here was the reasoning behind it... from Jeff Hickman the GM of Bioware Austin...

We’ve made the decision to not move forward with development of Shadow Realms," wrote Hickman in a post on the official site. He went on to explain that "right now there are other projects for the team to work on within the BioWare studios for the coming year and beyond," citing Star Wars: The Old Republic as the biggest focus, followed by Dragon Age: Inquisition, the next Mass Effect game, and "other new IP."

With the new movie coming out it definitely seems Bioware and EA are renewing their focus on SWTOR. Is it a cynical cash in? yeh in part... but it looks like they learned their lesson from SWTOR launch... namely that an IP alone will not carry a game...so for Austin SWTOR is now a priority.

Edited by Ghisallo

If there was another SW MMO being developed, pray it is not these people making it. BW are clueless when it comes to MMOs. Fantastic single player games, Baldurs Gate etc, but this game only exists due to being the only option. Edited by ThorgrimLutgen

If there was another SW MMO being developed, pray it is not these people making it. BW are clueless when it comes to MMOs. Fantastic single player games, Baldurs Gate etc, but this game only exists due to being the only option.

Only EA/BW can make Star Wars games anyone else who might try would get sued.

If there was another SW MMO being developed, pray it is not these people making it. BW are clueless when it comes to MMOs. Fantastic single player games, Baldurs Gate etc, but this game only exists due to being the only option.

Well EA/Bioware owns the rights and if you play other MMOs AND turn off what happened pre f2p transition this MMO is actually better, at least imo than most out there. I mean real MMO's btw AND from a PvE perspective... Rift, Aion, WildStars etc. WoW I would say is the excepton BT the also have a MUCH bigger budget, but even they are suffering... they expect a pretty big drop in subs once the expac bump wears off... because they are expecting a rather noticable drop in Asian subscriptions (per their last financial report at least).

Only EA you mean, nothing to do with BW whatsoever.

Bioware IS EA. At this point Bioware is nothing more than the difference between slapping a GMC instead of Chevy on a car. EA controls who works there...they control (ultilmately) what direction Bioware goes in just as GM controls those things with the execs of GMC and Chevy. It is in essence the video game version of a hood ornament. The people that made Bioware what it was pre-acquisition are for the most part gone last I checked. the people left are those who wanted to stay and who wanted to play to EA's tune.

Edited by Ghisallo

Creates thread with click bait title...then proceeds to provide pure speculation in post. Ah, I see. Just another day in the life of posters on SWTOR forums. Misinformed and speculation wielding. Please, accept the fact that SWG is gone and it is highly unlikely except for by the grace of God (read as Disney/EA and maybe Sony) that you will ever ever EVER see anything resembling SWG in your lifetime. Its over, its dead, its gone (minus the emulator of course).

Bioware IS EA. At this point Bioware is nothing more than the difference between slapping a GMC instead of Chevy on a car. EA controls who works there...they control (ultilmately) what direction Bioware goes in just as GM controls those things with the execs of GMC and Chevy. It is in essence the video game version of a hood ornament. The people that made Bioware what it was pre-acquisition are for the most part gone last I checked. the people left are those who wanted to stay and who wanted to play to EA's tune.

Pretty much this. I don't see a distinction between the two EA and Bioware are one in the same

Pretty much this. I don't see a distinction between the two EA and Bioware are one in the same

They also own at least 24 other software houses.

BW are not their special little soldiers, EA are financially driven enough to realise BW have not made a good job of their first MMO.

This game should have been so much better.

They also own at least 24 other software houses.

BW are not their special little soldiers, EA are financially driven enough to realise BW have not made a good job of their first MMO.

This game should have been so much better.

That was then this is now. In terms of MMOs in 2013 they were number 4 in revenue. If you are looking at ONLY MMO RPGs and not including MOBAs in 2014 they were also #4. So while they are certainly not a WoW killer making a fair margin over 100 million bucks in 2013 and 2014 is nothing to sneeze at (thought they did admittedly make more in 2013) and THIS is what EA cares about. The only issue they have with Bioware atm is that they did not match or exceed their 2013 profits BUT that earnings call was BEFORE SoR dropped and they have not released the data for the quarter that includes SoR.

So we will see.

Edited by Ghisallo

Only EA/BW can make Star Wars games anyone else who might try would get sued.

Incorrect. EA have the licence for core games. This includes PC and Console. Disney retain the rights to publish and develop on mobile, casual and online space.

As quoted from IGN

According to the announcement, EA "will develop and publish new Star Wars titles for a core gaming audience, spanning all interactive platforms and the most popular game genres, while Disney will retain certain rights to develop new titles within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories."

Edited by GrimRita

Incorrect. EA have the licence for core games. This includes PC and Console. Disney retain the rights to publish and develop on mobile, casual and online space.

As quoted from IGN

According to the announcement, EA "will develop and publish new Star Wars titles for a core gaming audience, spanning all interactive platforms and the most popular game genres, while Disney will retain certain rights to develop new titles within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories."

Which is basically the status quo. While LucasArts had what they saw as a commercial failure in the Force Unleashed Games (damn did heads roll over that) they still retained the rights to make games as well...even if they never did. Few if any IP owners will sell in total licensing rights to a third party.

I've also been hoping that the tooth fairy is really real...

Any chance of that? :D

........ I would say use something like either the Unreal Engine 4 or a highly modified HERO engine, have it take cues from SWG, (such as no classes, skill based and the ability to be a "force sensitive" (small % chance during character creation) and to make it REALLY difficult to be a Jedi (as I am sure the Pre-CU SWG hardcore fans would agree).

Sorry to disappoint you, but I very much hope something like this never appears again.

There's too much to elaborate, but I would not pay a penny to play such a Star Wars game when I have "small %" of chance to be Force sensitive character. Waste of time.

Besides, the game setting was just ...naah.

Ok, I am not a fan of MMOs in general, just because all what I could see on other MMO type games (terrible graphics, almost no story lines, characters difficult to identify with, all that the childish massive ganking, weird instancing) is definitely NOT appealing to me.

SWTOR is just a noble exception.

What makes you think it would be a step back? BIOWARE know what they are doing, they are learning from their past mistakes and improving the game. Look at each subsequent expansion for SWTOR? Each one has improved and expanded the game. Now, switch time periods, hell, if they said we are bringing out SWTNR (Star Wars The New Republic) and it was essentially this game, with new classes, new stories (and the EXACT same graphics engine - just set after Episode VII - I would play it!)

People hate to speculate on things when they arn't announced yet, once upon a time, when all there was was SWG and a little game called Knights of the Old Republic, if people back then said "Hey, I would love a story driven, fully voiced MMO like WOW but set in the Old Republic time period", you would have been criticized for that wild wishes.

And look where we are now?!

Sorry to disappoint you, but I very much hope something like this never appears again.

There's too much to elaborate, but I would not pay a penny to play such a Star Wars game when I have "small %" of chance to be Force sensitive character. Waste of time.

I go back and forth on this. I kinda like the concept, but I'm not sure how much I would like it in reality. Maybe if anyone could become a Jedi, but the quest to become one took a ton of work making it so only the most dedicated are able to achieve.

Ultimately though if it were between making a swtor clone or a swg clone I'd prefer a swtor clone. I prefer the theme park approach to a sandbox approach personally.

I am hoping there is a new MMO to follow with the new movies, but I'm not counting on it.

There would be too much of a story restriction making a game that takes place after the movies, at that point they would have to conform to what is cannon and creating new and exciting content while you hands are tied by cannon events is difficult. Now I know swg existed during the movies, but they didn't have much for story, and their expansions seemed more gameplay inspired than story inspired.

the upside to a game like this (story based) taking place in this time period is that they have complete creative freedom. As long as episode 1 still happens they could make this a 2000 year war, that somehow our chars magically survive.

I doubt EA is willing to shell out that kind of cash. Remember SWTOR's production cost was roughly 200 million the only way they could make an MMO superior to this would be to spend more on the new game then they did SWTOR (300 to 400 Million).

I go back and forth on this. I kinda like the concept, but I'm not sure how much I would like it in reality. Maybe if anyone could become a Jedi, but the quest to become one took a ton of work making it so only the most dedicated are able to achieve.

Ultimately though if it were between making a swtor clone or a swg clone I'd prefer a swtor clone. I prefer the theme park approach to a sandbox approach personally.

I am hoping there is a new MMO to follow with the new movies, but I'm not counting on it.

So why can't I as a casual be force sensitive? The whole idea of restricting an entire aspect of game play to a few people is stupid. If I want to be a jedi I should get to be a jedi.

I'd rather see somthing like quest lines that get more and more difficult to increase your rank (eg youngling, padawan, knight, master, council master, grand master) that can take dedication. But dont Lock Out The Entire class To Just The dedicated few.

Besides, the game setting was just ...naah.

Ok, I am not a fan of MMOs in general, just because all what I could see on other MMO type games (terrible graphics, almost no story lines, characters difficult to identify with, all that the childish massive ganking, weird instancing) is definitely NOT appealing to me.

SWTOR is just a noble exception.

Have to agree played SWG and the you have to grind a jedi was dumb. It pissed of more of the player base and cost that game to loose and eventually fail because of what they did with that at the start of SWG if you could just click to have a jedi that game would still be going strong. People don't like lengthy grins in MMO any more.

There would be too much of a story restriction making a game that takes place after the movies, at that point they would have to conform to what is cannon and creating new and exciting content while you hands are tied by cannon events is difficult. Now I know swg existed during the movies, but they didn't have much for story, and their expansions seemed more gameplay inspired than story inspired.

the upside to a game like this (story based) taking place in this time period is that they have complete creative freedom. As long as episode 1 still happens they could make this a 2000 year war, that somehow our chars magically survive.

This wouldn't be different than any other video game. Also as far as I know SWTOR technically goes though this now, however they are given wider birth since they are in a time frame where there is very little existing conflict to conflict on.

I don't see this as a huge barrier, if anything what would most likely happen is Disney would give them story points they want covered and story points to avoid, they would write a story that fits within those constraints and get it approved.

With the technology out there, a smart developer, which discounts EA & Bioware in an instant, could make an MMO that works not just on PC but browser based AND on mobile. So players can do simple tasks, like craft for example while they are away from the main game.

Had the financials stacked up, EA could have updated the engine or made other core improvements in time for Episode 7 and drive the game forward but clearly that doesn't appear to be the case. I think it was Aion that had a complete graphics overhaul shortly after launch, FF just had a successful reboot but these companies don't treat their players as cosmic cash machines but as players and give them a reason to sub and play their games