The PVP community has spoken...how does Keith respond?

FourPawnBenoni

The PVP community has overwhelmingly spoken out against the methodology of the next gear increase in 5.10. Literally, tons of well written, insightful posts over the past week. The grind is extremely burdensome, grindy and costly. This is all fine, for PVE players that are pursuing higher difficulties to progress.

In PVP, however, people are more interested in fair competition where gear matters less than skill. There is no level increase in this patch. There is literally ZERO difference in playing experience for PVP players in 5.10 vs 5.9. You're going to be playing the SAME maps. We do not have a new PVP equivalent to an Op that requires better gear.

This doesn't mean we should get gear for free. PVP players are ok with a fair system to improve gear. The 4.0 era was a perfect example of it, as many have noted. You had to get gear, but it didn't take too much time and allowed you to play more of your alts, which made it MORE FUN and less of a grind ending in burnout. The 4.0 era also had FAR MORE PLAYERS in PVP compared to now.

The community has outlined several good ideas, feel free to add if I missed any:

- Add expertise back in with a separate reward system similar to 4.0

- Cap gear level bolster to a fair level, which means stats higher than 242 would not be counted

- Allow the progression with the same system as in 5.6, which was grindy but more alt friendly than 5.0 or 5.10

After the past few months of pushing out content aimed for PVP players (new stronghold, new huttball map, etc) why would you introduce a gearing system that immediately pushes away your PVP base? Many people are saying they will be unsubbing with this system and just wait until 6.0 comes out to see if they come back. The problem is, sometimes people don't come back. Its like the lessons learned from 5.0 have been forgotten.

We've seen an increase of changes from feedback from Keith & the team, from PTS to forum discussions. It would mean a lot to see a response to the concerns from this part of your customer base and how you intend to address it, if anything. Thank you.

Edited by FourPawnBenoni

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This doesn't mean we should get gear for free. PVP players are ok with a fair system to improve gear. The 4.0 era was a perfect example of it, as many have noted. You had to get gear, but it didn't take too much time and allowed you to play more of your alts, which made it MORE FUN and less of a grind ending in burnout. The 4.0 era also had FAR MORE PLAYERS in PVP compared to now.

The community has outlined several good ideas, feel free to add if I missed any:

- Add expertise back in with a separate reward system similar to 4.0

- Cap gear level bolster to a fair level, which means stats higher than 242 would not be counted

- Allow the progression with the same system as in 5.6, which was grindy but more alt friendly than 5.10

So.... when they said it would gear available by crafting only in the first teaser on the new gear, you might have had a point here... at least one that could be debated back and forth.

HOWEVER.. with the most recent live stream... they made it clear that PvPers can obtain said gear by earning UCs, and then converting them to MasterWorks Shards. In other words... identical to today... only a new tier of gear and in intermediate step of buying MWS and then using that to buy gear from a vendor. Not to mention.... you can get MWS from dailies as well.

Yes.. they put a throttle on UCs.... but that is to create an even playing field (as much as you can actually do so) between PvP players sitting on large stacks of UCs when the patch goes live and PvP players that do not have large stacks of UCs when the patch goes live. And throttle is unlikely to impact players earning UCs as they go and turning them in each time they reach the trade threshold for buying an MWS. It also will somewhat balance the pace at which PvP players and PvE players can obtain the gear as well.. because the PvE path is the usual BiS grindfest in hard high end content. Why they put an intermediate step to get MWS in place is uncertain, but I bet it had something to do with making it easier for them to set/adjust the throttles on use of UCs AND the fact that MWS can actually be earned multiple ways in game in the coming patch.... needing only one gear vendor rather then one for each currency (UC and MWS).

As for the drive by rants that player X will just buy the gear from a crafter on day one... GET REAL... Crafters will be gated by the availability of new rare materials that only come from limited sources via end game grouping... so it will be weeks before any crafters are selling said gear at competitive fair market prices.

I really do not think you have thought this all through very well and are just lashing out at the fact that there is new gear coming.. and it won't be free for fall from trees. For the PvP only player UCs get you gear pre-patch and UCs get you gear post patch. For the more diversified content player.. there are multiple pathways to the gear. [The complaints about having a new tier of gear in the first place is a completely different discussion.]

If this is really about not wanting to have to grind for gear for PvP.. then you should be working to influence the studio to have bolster kept = current BiS (ie: bump it when you introduce new gear) and not have to worry about gearing much at all.

Edited by Andryah

So.... when they said it would gear available by crafting only in the first teaser on the new gear, you might have had a point here... at least one that could be debated back and forth.

HOWEVER.. with the most recent live stream... they made it clear that PvPers can obtain said gear by earning UCs, and then converting them to MasterWorks Shards. In other words... identical to today... only a new tier of gear and in intermediate step of buying MWS and then using that to buy gear from a vendor. Not to mention.... you can get MWS from dailies as well.

Yes.. they put a throttle on UCs.... but that is to create an even playing field (as much as you can actually do so) between PvP players sitting on large stacks of UCs when the patch goes live and PvP players that do not have large stacks of UCs when the patch goes live. And throttle is unlikely to impact players earning UCs as they go and turning them in each time they reach the trade threshold for buying an MWS. It also will somewhat balance the pace at which PvP players and PvE players can obtain the gear as well.. because the PvE path is the usual BiS grindfest in hard high end content. Why they put an intermediate step to get MWS in place is uncertain, but I bet it had something to do with making it easier for them to set/adjust the throttles on use of UCs AND the fact that MWS can actually be earned multiple ways in game in the coming patch.... needing only one gear vendor rather then one for each currency (UC and MWS).

As for the drive by rants that player X will just buy the gear from a crafter on day one... GET REAL... Crafters will be gated by the availability of new rare materials that only come from limited sources via end game grouping... so it will be weeks before any crafters are selling said gear at competitive fair market prices.

I really do not think you have thought this all through very well and are just lashing out at the fact that there is new gear coming.. and it won't be free for fall from trees. For the PvP only player UCs get you gear pre-patch and UCs get you gear post patch. For the more diversified content player.. there are multiple pathways to the gear. [The complaints about having a new tier of gear in the first place is a completely different discussion.]

If this is really about not wanting to have to grind for gear for PvP.. then you should be working to influence the studio to have bolster kept = current BiS (ie: bump it when you introduce new gear) and not have to worry about gearing much at all.

1) UCs to MSs will be extraordinary expensive and nothing like today. They are not throttling this for the benefit of UC-poor PvPers, but because their metrics tells them that this approach is the optimal economical model -- disagree as we do.

2) Most PvPer would gladly give up all their "stacks" of UCs in exchange for the 4.0 gear system.

3) Bolster is not BiS. Bolster is 242.

This new system will make ALT-playing even more impossible, and it will split the PvP community between those who only play 1 character or is willing to pay for BiS and the rest that will be stuck with random assortment of gear.

1) UCs to MSs will be extraordinary expensive and nothing like today. They are not throttling this for the benefit of UC-poor PvPers, but because their metrics tells them that this approach is the optimal economical model -- disagree as we do.

2) Most PvPer would gladly give up all their "stacks" of UCs in exchange for the 4.0 gear system.

3) Bolster is not BiS. Bolster is 242.

This new system will make ALT-playing even more impossible, and it will split the PvP community between those who only play 1 character or is willing to pay for BiS and the rest that will be stuck with random assortment of gear.

None of this is fact until we see the patch go live. ;) This is particularly true for your statement number 1 and 3. Number 2 is completely debatable in circular forum manner without end.

They appear to be tuning the new gear acquisition such that most players (regardless of the route the player pursues) will earn 2 pieces, perhaps 3 at most, per week. That is actually not a bad pace... except for the demanding and impatient player. That is a pace to have a character fully geared with BiS in a month... which is not abnormal for MMOs... it's actually fairly generous.

[As for the incessant whining about gear for alts... why is an alt entitled to faster gear then a main charcter?]

Crafters and crafted gear purchasers will actually suffer the longest time lag to the new tier... because it takes time to ramp up crafting to any sort of volume... and until you have volume... you do not have stable fair market prices on the GTNs. Yet you do not hear crafters complaining about the new tier... because they generally always face a ramp on new gear. Good guilds with a cooperative crafting industry set up within... will be faster than the lone player trying to do it all themselves.... but that is one of the benefits of a guild or a circle of friends who work cooperatively in an MMO.

Edited by Andryah

I tried to show how easy it will be to gear... even easier than UC gearing -- assuming players have more than one toon and can force themselves to do more than just pvp to gear up. This must be Twitter because I think people just want to be outraged at something. I give up. Edited by Rion_Starkiller

The devs said that the fastest way to get the gear will be to run MM gods and craft. The second fastest way will be to buy it with credits. Keep ignoring it though because it serves your purpose of defending this poorly implemented gearing method.

What pvpers want, excluding separate pvp gear, is to be able to get the new gear as fast as everyone else by playing pvp only. That will not be the case with the new gear. Got it now?

How do BW respond? With silence of course lol...we sure did learn our lesson about how do they respond to questions like this all those years, no? I reckon PvP will be even more ""fun"" after the disaster 5.0 and onward were. Couple of peeps running in 258/240augs roflstomping 242 bolstered people lol. It would probably drive away many of the last players, who regularly pvp. Edited by ExarSun

I tried to show how easy it will be to gear... even easier than UC gearing -- assuming players have more than one toon and can force themselves to do more than just pvp to gear up. This must be Twitter because I think people just want to be outraged at something. I give up.

Sadly, some people refuse to look at the math and recognize the synergistic effects that alts have with the new MWS system. Even more so if they bite the bullet and do the weekly planetary mission. Even just using UCs, however, the more alts the better. And if you only play a couple mains, blowing some UCs won't matter.

Newsflash: The throttling here is with MWS per character, not legacy. You can have your right side, MH, and OH done pretty quickly. Obviously depends on how much they gate the rep breakpoints, but that applies to all.

While some may say the gearing is slow, not sure why PvPers care when it will be similarly slow for all. As of what is actually now on the PTS, the crafting option looks pretty hellacious.

Math is hard.

Dasty

P.S. In a post earlier today, you used the word "guys." Please stop reifying the patriarchal state system! :rak_03:

Edited by Jdast

Sadly, some people refuse to look at the math and recognize the synergistic effects that alts have with the new MWS system. Even more so if they bite the bullet and do the weekly planetary mission. Even just using UCs, however, the more alts the better. And if you only play a couple mains, blowing some UCs won't matter.

Please explain the synergistic relationship between alts and the new gearing system. I want to understand how having more alts = faster gearing.

When each alt is an individual toon that needs as much gear as the others, exactly how does playing alts increase your ability to gear faster? Admittedly I am bad at math, it's true. So by all means show by the numbers exactly how playing more alts makes gearing easier.

From my perspective this is deja vu. We already went from an extremely slow gear grind to an extremely fast gear grind (4.0), then back to a slow clunky gear grind that was met with much hate (5.0) forcing them to walk back some of the grind, and now they are talking about making the grind slower yet again? The game developers are schizophrenic I guess, they have no idea what this game's design goals are and are all over the place.

How many times do they have to introduce clunky, convoluted unwanted gear grinds only to walk them back before they realize they lose players every time they do this? People only have so much patience and if they muck the gearing system up again, it doesn't take Nostradamus to see the games livelihood will be hurt.

The game is at it's best when it welcomes all different playstyles. By showing favor to only one activity the game presents as a way to gear up most efficiently is shortsighted and will only alienate PVPers and those who do not want to raid.

@Jdast, please enlighten me as to how playing alts will make gearing up said alts easier. Would love to better understand this.

@Jdast, please enlighten me as to how playing alts will make gearing up said alts easier. Would love to better understand this.

Not saying i agree - my opinion on this is its a giant middle finger to us for continuing to support them - but I'm assuming the argument is you can run the weekly/dailies on your alts in an attempt to gear your main (and this is what i will probably do, assuming they make it to where you can legacy gear the right side stuff and weapons).

Not saying i agree - my opinion on this is its a giant middle finger to us for continuing to support them - but I'm assuming the argument is you can run the weekly/dailies on your alts in an attempt to gear your main (and this is what i will probably do, assuming they make it to where you can legacy gear the right side stuff and weapons).

That's what I figured too. I mean that logic applies to the system now, but I don't see how it's a good thing when the only reason you log in the alts is to conveyor belt feed as many UCs to one toon to get it geared faster.

Honestly I tried that for a bit, but I can't stand spending an hour or whatever it is on a toon I don't really enjoy playing just to do a daily quest for it's reward on a daily to feed to a different toon I enjoy playing more.

It's sad when the game becomes a chore, and that's what this is by making you partake in activities you do not find fun just to gear a toon you enjoy playing.

Calling this a "synergistic" relationship between alts and gearing is a bit hyperbolic. it's a really gimped system overall and by pigeonholing the methods to best gear for BiS only hurts the game.

Every time they add in a new hurdle to clear for gears they piss people off, and every time they end up walking back their initial gearing system change over a period of time after the changes were made. Why? How many times will they do this before the game is gone?

Edit: Lhance, just read your last post. You may call the point about alts being "synergistic" hyperbolic. That's fine, but it is true, mathematically, by definition. The numbers are on my side. Besides, I thought you were playing 8 or so characters because you viewed them not as alts per se, but different mains.

Let's stipulate that the gearing system is annoying and convoluted. Moreover, the math below is based on two assumptions: 1) the cost of gear on the PTS does not change; and 2) you can continue to legacy swap just as you can now everything but implants, relics, and earpiece. Obviously, if either point changes this is no longer applicable. With that said, in and of itself, we should keep in mind that this also applies to all the doom and gloom points and it is still a PTS (though I doubt much will change)>

Before I get accused of white knighting, let's stipulate again that I think this new tier is largely pointless for the vast majority of the population, bolster should be increased to a minimum of 252, and this is just placeholder to keep people busy (mostly on the forums :rak_03:) until 6.0 is released.

Let's begin. Two data points are relevant:

1) Currently on the PTS it costs 4 Masterwork Shards (MWS) per piece of gear.

2) Here are the ways you can acquire Masterwork Shards (source: Dulfy: http://dulfy.net/2018/10/13/swtor-masterwork-armor-crafting-acquisition-in-patch-5-10/).

Begin Quote:

1 each week from new Weekly Event Missions (i.e. complete 4x Master Mode Flashpoints)

1 each week from [WEEKLY] Daily Area: Ossus (i.e. do all the heroic daily missions on Ossus once)

500 Unassembled Components per Masterwork Data Crystal for the first exchange of the week, 1000 Unassembled Component for subsequent exchanges (unsure of weekly hardcap) with a vendor on Ossus

Very rare drop from Command Crates at Command Rank 300

End quote

You have 14 gear slots so you need, as of now, 56 MWS to fully gear out a character in BiS (not counting augments).

The throttling mechanism as it stands now is how many MWS a character can gain per week (and to a lesser extent, the reputation breakpoints, but that only supports my argument). Charles is very clear in the Cantina video that the throttling mechanism applies per character, and is not legacy constrained.

In other words, each character can complete the weekly mission and gain a MWS. For someone like you, who primarily PvPs, that sucks but at least each of your characters can purchase an initial MWS for 500 each week. We don't know if completing weekly PvP mission grants a MWS -- I hope it does -- I'm sure you do too.

Doing the weekly mission (hopefully the PvP one) on 8 characters nets you 8 MWS. Having 8 level 70s purchase a MWS costs 4000 UCs as opposed to having the cost go ever higher for just one or two characters.

You then purchase a piece of gear, rip out the mods and transfer accordingly. Again, this won't apply to left side gear.

With that said, particularly for PvPers, while it is still in my opinion a slog and I agree with Khevar's point about making it easier, particularly since we are approaching a whole new 6.0, the main point is that virtually all will be in the same boat (whether that boat is sinking or floating is up to you to decide).

Because, I mean -- have you seen those crafting requirements?????? No one is crafting that gear very quickly unless they change drop rates.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

As far as Dulfy goes, it says there that you need a Hero rank for Osus to even get shards via vendor. Maybe I'm wrong, since I'm typinf this via phone atm, but will check it later again.

Yes.. and that takes you a few hours... over two weeks at most (because they throttle faction grinds so players don't finish them in one day) .... pretty much like every other faction grind.

Not a major component of the gearing ordeal in any way.

Edited by Andryah

Edit: Lhance, just read your last post. You may call the point about alts being "synergistic" hyperbolic. That's fine, but it is true, mathematically, by definition. The numbers are on my side. Besides, I thought you were playing 8 or so characters because you viewed them not as alts per se, but different mains.

Let's stipulate that the gearing system is annoying and convoluted. Moreover, the math below is based on two assumptions: 1) the cost of gear on the PTS does not change; and 2) you can continue to legacy swap just as you can now everything but implants, relics, and earpiece. Obviously, if either point changes this is no longer applicable. With that said, in and of itself, we should keep in mind that this also applies to all the doom and gloom points and it is still a PTS (though I doubt much will change)>

Before I get accused of white knighting, let's stipulate again that I think this new tier is largely pointless for the vast majority of the population, bolster should be increased to a minimum of 252, and this is just placeholder to keep people busy (mostly on the forums :rak_03:) until 6.0 is released.

Let's begin. Two data points are relevant:

1) Currently on the PTS it costs 4 Masterwork Shards (MWS) per piece of gear.

2) Here are the ways you can acquire Masterwork Shards (source: Dulfy: http://dulfy.net/2018/10/13/swtor-masterwork-armor-crafting-acquisition-in-patch-5-10/).

Begin Quote:

1 each week from new Weekly Event Missions (i.e. complete 4x Master Mode Flashpoints)

1 each week from [WEEKLY] Daily Area: Ossus (i.e. do all the heroic daily missions on Ossus once)

500 Unassembled Components per Masterwork Data Crystal for the first exchange of the week, 1000 Unassembled Component for subsequent exchanges (unsure of weekly hardcap) with a vendor on Ossus

Very rare drop from Command Crates at Command Rank 300

End quote

You have 14 gear slots so you need, as of now, 56 MWS to fully gear out a character in BiS (not counting augments).

The throttling mechanism as it stands now is how many MWS a character can gain per week (and to a lesser extent, the reputation breakpoints, but that only supports my argument). Charles is very clear in the Cantina video that the throttling mechanism applies per character, and is not legacy constrained.

In other words, each character can complete the weekly mission and gain a MWS. For someone like you, who primarily PvPs, that sucks but at least each of your characters can purchase an initial MWS for 500 each week. We don't know if completing weekly PvP mission grants a MWS -- I hope it does -- I'm sure you do too.

Doing the weekly mission (hopefully the PvP one) on 8 characters nets you 8 MWS. Having 8 level 70s purchase a MWS costs 4000 UCs as opposed to having the cost go ever higher for just one or two characters.

You then purchase a piece of gear, rip out the mods and transfer accordingly. Again, this won't apply to left side gear.

With that said, particularly for PvPers, while it is still in my opinion a slog and I agree with Khevar's point about making it easier, particularly since we are approaching a whole new 6.0, the main point is that virtually all will be in the same boat (whether that boat is sinking or floating is up to you to decide).

Because, I mean -- have you seen those crafting requirements?????? No one is crafting that gear very quickly unless they change drop rates.

Dasty

I don't see any part of this new gearing system as an improvement over what we got now. Thanks for going into detail on what you meant the system being synergistic, I don't find it that way though. I find this adding more complexities to an already over-complicated gear grinding system. It's already clunky and inefficient in how you accrue upgrades in gears now they want to add another level of inefficiencies. Let's be real here, this is dumb.

-BioWare creates story based games

-SWTOR is a story based MMO'ish game

-Official BW forums aka Bioware social network BSN no longer exists thanks to people like here, aka rants/trolls/haters etc. (aka Mass Effect 3 forums)

serious/"hardcore" pvp this way -----> https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/

BioWare studios stopped responding this type of forum posts long time ago since most people here will ALWAYS complain about something.

No offense but you people are very hard to please/satisfy, so only Community Manager replies few posts here:eek:

In typical BW fashion... they respond by not communicating.

Crickets... I hear crickets

When it’s something they don’t want to hear, they go silent.

Still waiting to find out if not being about to use stun while carrying the ball is a bug or intended. They can’t even write a two sentence yellow post to say we forgot to put it in the patch notes and it’s intended or it’s a bug. Really how hard would that be to do.

They’ve now washed their hands of the summer of pvp and moved on. They will now totally ignore everything pvp related because they’ve got something new to do.

So don’t expect and answer on gearing or getting things like desync fixed or answer about the Hutt ball stun bug?

Edited by Totemdancer

P.S. In a post earlier today, you used the word "guys." Please stop reifying the patriarchal state system! :rak_03:

Dasty, don't you think it's a bit ironic to chastise the use of the word "guys" then turn around and say this? ;):

Before I get accused of white knighting...

:p In all seriousness, this explanation below was helpful for me in understanding the system (assuming no hard cap and assuming BoP items can be transferred via legacy gear), but just ominous for someone like me:

If nothing else, it seems like almost everyone here, including you, agrees this system is a bad gearing system for pure PvPers right (and assuming no full bolster)? It's actually not a bad system overall from what I can tell. But see, if this is meant for MM-level players only, then fine (and maybe even good for them?) -- I can avoid that content. But why should this gear have an impact in PvP (especially if PvP is a harder way to get the gear, and the gear isn't intended, by the devs own words, for PvP?). It introduces a further, needless gear asymmetry into a supposedly skill-only environment, further gimping "casual" PvPers like me who will never be able to gear up even one toon this way...

Tl;dr: BOLSTER

Crickets... I hear crickets

When it’s something they don’t want to hear, they go silent.

Still waiting to find out if not being about to use stun while carrying the ball is a bug or intended. They can’t even write a two sentence yellow post to say we forgot to put it in the patch notes and it’s intended or it’s a bug. Really how hard would that be to do.

They’ve now washed their hands of the summer of pvp and moved on. They will now totally ignore everything pvp related because they’ve got something new to do.

So don’t expect and answer on gearing or getting things like desync fixed or answer about the Hutt ball stun bug?

I'm assuming the not stun breaking with the ball was intended because, if it was a bug, why ignore us? obviously this is yet another change (like the one to shadow stride, etc) that was intentional, universally hated, and yet will never be reversed because what do the people playing the game know about anything?

aka: chirp chirp (the crickets)

I'm assuming the not stun breaking with the ball was intended because, if it was a bug, why ignore us? obviously this is yet another change (like the one to shadow stride, etc) that was intentional, universally hated, and yet will never be reversed because what do the people playing the game know about anything?

aka: chirp chirp (the crickets)

Why not put the change for the stun on the pts or in the patch notes. Musco has actually said in the past that if it’s not in the patch notes it’s a bug. So why not clarify it if it’s intended or a bug that needs to be fixed. Staying silent makes no sense.

At least they put the change to shadow stride in the patch notes, so I can understand why we’ve been ignored about that (even though it’s a dumb change)

One of Bioware’s biggest flaws is not admitting when they are wrong or reversing things that make people leave or stop playing. This has been without doubt one of the biggest contributing factor for the game’s decline. I don’t know if it’s arogence (like Ben Irving had) or it’s culturally ingrained in the Bioware ethos. Successful game developers from other company’s will often reverse changes or admit they are wrong if the players hate it. Bioware won’t, they double down.

It’s totally illogical to make players leave.

they made it clear that PvPers can obtain said gear by earning UCs, and then converting them to MasterWorks Shards. In other words... identical to today... only a new tier of gear and in intermediate step of buying MWS and then using that to buy gear from a vendor.

Wondering the reason why converting in... it is not easiest, and a gain of time/resources than just use UCs to buy T5 instead of converting.