Priority seems to go like this:

1. Guild members regardless of spec

2. Healer

3. Lowest HP teammate

4. Sorc (regardless of spec)

5. Operative (regardless of spec)

6. Sniper

7. High DPS classes (PT/Jugg)

It's difficult to tell people who would be more advantageous to guard during a WZ. Even saying I used to play a tank, doesn't help. Everything is taken as negative criticism. There are no stats backing up what I posted above, but this is from my experience.

Shouldn't the priority be... whomever is being focus fired and is in range of guard? I see some very good tanks that are on the ball during a match, throwing guard all over. But, that seems to be rare, and getting rarer. Maybe they have all made their way to premade rateds.

Anyone else notice this? If so, have you been able to approach someone to give them "tips"?

If I had a dime for every crappy "Tip" anyone ever gave me about any one of my fields of expertise I'd be rich. If I followed half of those tips, I'd most likely be dead. Unless you are known or know someone it's best to keep tips to yourself...

and that my friend... is a GREAT TIP!!!! lol

Edited by VoidJustice

i've noticed some odd things too. i've had cases with my sniper where a tank would put guard on me. each time i'm like, "uuuh. shouldn't you be guarding our healer(s)?". The good thing about this is that I can remove his guard from myself, so I go ahead and do that hoping that he puts guard on a more valuable asset. I have a guardian as well and I just glue myself to the healer the whole game. Or bouncing back and forth between the healer and an enemy by managing my leap CD's yet keeping within guard range.

If I had a dime for every crappy "Tip" anyone ever gave me about any one of my fields of expertise I'd be rich. If I followed half of those tips, I'd most likely be dead. Unless you are known or know someone it's best to keep tips to yourself...

and that my friend... is a GREAT TIP!!!! lol

Life lesson regarding video games, excellent :) I'm pecifically taking about the true tanks that have 22k protection on a WZ that runs 15min or more.

I don't know what you mean about being "known", hopefully that isn't supposed to mean in a video game? People need help to play this game, it lacks tutorials of substance. People arent always as big as nerds as us and go to the forums to find info. I had to explain the direct to tower speeders to people last night. While someone who takes games too seriously called them ******* repeatedly.

You need to switch guard out, but give priority to healers that are being focused (unless you're in huttball and want to protect the carrier).

There is one big reason why I quit being a PvP tank though (months ago). I switched guard continuously according to focus, saved a lot of people who were literally at 10% health and made a comeback through me, I can safely say I helped my team tremendously in a lot of occasions, BUT.

That absolutely does not mean that your team has any plans to help you.

The fact that I willingly sacrificed my health for random people, who didn't give a frak about what I did and didn't get a single heal more than any random DPS in PuGs made me quit PvP tanking.

Coupled with the fact that I was totally gimping my damage into oblivion by trying to buff my mitigation, which still didn't make much of a difference against a lot of lolspammer DPS at the time (we were talking about sorc wars back then).

Edited by Fdzzaigl

I guard healers first. If I'm guarding a node with someone ill put guard on them regardless of class/spec. If I respawn and run back into the fray ill toss guard on whatever teamate is getting focused. If I am headed to capture a node/objective or run the ball I don't guard at all. Its very situational. Every match is different.

i guard melee at the start of a match, since they'll be noticed first in a zerg. then switch to healers or any dps that gets focused. if you dont have guard bound and an ops frame large enough to satisfy a healer, i frankly think youre doing it wrong. some above poster mentioned sniper, and let me tell ya, a guarded sniper at south novare is just godly. pocket healer is even better, but point is there are situations where different classes should get guard. alderaan mid is 'shoot the target' central, so pretty much always guard a healer there, whereas novare or voidstar i usually guard dps, showing favoritism to snipers since i play one, and know how insane their denial is, and just keep an eye on health bars to see if i should switch. huttball heck just guard whoevers in range.

The fact that I willingly sacrificed my health for random people, who didn't give a frak about what I did and didn't get a single heal more than any random DPS in PuGs made me quit PvP tanking.

this.. PuGs are so unpredictable..

Though i remain in tanking spec, but usually just throw guard on the nearest person in PuG.

Yes, there is some occasions that i throw guard to the person desperately needed it - while defending the nearly lost turret/door etc.. But in common, the guarding for me is just the option to get +5% DPS increase.

Edited by Missandei

Always healers first. Only exception is huttball ball carrier if nobody else is guarding him. I understand the logic behind wanting to guard people being focus fired, but chances are you won't notice someone being focus fired before they drop dead. If no healer is around, then it depends on the situation. When you are defending against greater odds, you need someone who can keep the enemy from taking the objective place. So the class with good knockbacks, cc should do fine.

If you are on the offensive, I think a good dps should have it (again if there is no healer around), since they can take out the enemies faster