Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New guard mechanic

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
New guard mechanic

davensuitelife
09.16.2020 , 04:19 PM | #1
While I see having a 50% nerf to your damage if you're guarding someone as a step in the right direction all this does is in courage people to play tank in dps gear. As a matter of fact the top solo ranked guardian has been doing that for years. I think taunts are enough in pvp get rid of guard altogether or have it's effects only come from tank armor,mods and enchantment.
D'avin of The Ebon Hawk

Raazmir
09.16.2020 , 04:26 PM | #2
There's nothing wrong with skank tank, and its been a thing for years.
Mk'dermott 55 Sniper
Makkant 55 powertech

KendraP
09.16.2020 , 05:10 PM | #3
Every spec of tank capable classes can use taunts. The guard mechanic gives tanks a purpose in pvp. Guard coming from a dps has always been squishier than coming from a tank, and now dps will be even less effective at guarding, which yes will encourage people to run tank spec.

As a tank main who frequents dps guardians also: tank guardians are in a very good place right now, possibly too much so compared to shadows or VG. Dps guardians are in a horrible one.

Using dps gear as a tank spec is another matter.

Raansu
09.19.2020 , 06:56 AM | #4
Guard should have been removed years ago. Or changed to have some kind of CD on it where its only active for a short time.

elimatorxv
09.19.2020 , 07:54 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
Guard should have been removed years ago. Or changed to have some kind of CD on it where its only active for a short time.
no that would destroy the ability for pve, the best solution is to just disable the abilty for dps specs or tie it to the tank spec not a CD
http://www.swtor.com/r/5SJ2Hw my referal link you can click it if you want for some goodies and 7 days subscription but only if willing

Llacertus
09.19.2020 , 09:53 AM | #6
One of the biggest issues right now is that there is too much dps being put out in matches and healers have been getting nerfed so much that they're unable to keep up. The Skanktank's damage output adds to this issue. I've played skanktank for a long time now, and I don't think its fair that I can out-dps some other single target dps classes on my team. Guard needs to be changed so that the percentage of damage that is redirected corresponds to the tank's mitigation stats.
"The Force is all things and I am the Force"
-Last Line of the Grey Jedi Code

Raansu
09.19.2020 , 10:07 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by elimatorxv View Post
no that would destroy the ability for pve, the best solution is to just disable the abilty for dps specs or tie it to the tank spec not a CD
No it wouldn't.

malyj
09.23.2020 , 11:26 AM | #8
Guard shouldn't even exist as it is. Only game I've ever played where a tank can reduce 50% of incoming dmg with no cost or cd. Guard + healer only on one team determines 95% of reg matches.

KendraP
09.23.2020 , 11:34 AM | #9
I mean having a tank and healer together on one team, with 8 dps on the other, is against the stated matchmaking function. Supposedly it puts support classes on opposite teams if there are not two of the same role in the queue.

So either you encountered a premade group, your team had a bad healer (so bad you didn't notice it), or BWs matchmaking is broken.

truevalon
09.26.2020 , 01:18 AM | #10
Guard should be a base 15% and increased equally to a tanks defense stat.
We'll know what we're made of, when up against all odds...