Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

EQN dead, Wildstar dying...swtor?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
EQN dead, Wildstar dying...swtor?

jedip_enguin
03.20.2016 , 08:46 PM | #351
Quote: Originally Posted by RameiArashi View Post
I didin't think Wildstar was boring, I thought it was too difficult.
The difficulty was part of the design philosophy.
Click my link please, I'm almost out of Cartel coins - http://www.swtor.com/r/Sh6HPh

Latherfal
03.20.2016 , 09:35 PM | #352
Quote: Originally Posted by Diefenbaker View Post
Do you remember vanilla WoW? The endless grind to 60? The insane raids? Oh yeah, let's get 40 people together. And the bugs, oh yeah, those were fun. So great.

People talking about how great vanilla WoW was only talk from nostalgia, but in reality it was not that great. They like to forget the serious problems it had. Having been in WoW since launch I take today's WoW over vanilla WoW any day.

WoW evolved massively and has become a highly polished, high quality product. Wrath was the best expansion game play wise. My favorite remains Mists, which was somewhat ruined by all the racist fools moaning about "kung fun panda". Blizzard messed up with Warlords, yeah, because in the end it was really all about garrisons and logging in just to manage your missions, which got dull pretty fast. Legion will hopefully liven things up again. WoW is a lot of things, but sterile it is not.

But overall, in those 11+ years of WoW, WoW set the standards of how to be successful. Sure, WoW lost a lot of subs, that is correct, but even in its current state all other subscriber based MMORPGs would murder for those sub numbers.
I bet even you're Consular Sage is cranky.

If you spend time doing activities you don't enjoy, you're going to have a bad time of it.
I never raided in WoW.

I had a great time.

DrowNoble
03.21.2016 , 03:46 AM | #353
Quote: Originally Posted by Diefenbaker View Post
Do you remember vanilla WoW? The endless grind to 60? The insane raids? Oh yeah, let's get 40 people together. And the bugs, oh yeah, those were fun. So great.

People talking about how great vanilla WoW was only talk from nostalgia, but in reality it was not that great. They like to forget the serious problems it had. Having been in WoW since launch I take today's WoW over vanilla WoW any day.

WoW evolved massively and has become a highly polished, high quality product. Wrath was the best expansion game play wise. My favorite remains Mists, which was somewhat ruined by all the racist fools moaning about "kung fun panda". Blizzard messed up with Warlords, yeah, because in the end it was really all about garrisons and logging in just to manage your missions, which got dull pretty fast. Legion will hopefully liven things up again. WoW is a lot of things, but sterile it is not.

But overall, in those 11+ years of WoW, WoW set the standards of how to be successful. Sure, WoW lost a lot of subs, that is correct, but even in its current state all other subscriber based MMORPGs would murder for those sub numbers.
WoW highly polished, high quality product? Thank you, I enjoyed having a good laugh.

Blizzard's had problems from the beginning, server crashes, having to disable armor rendering in login servers to keep them from imploding, etc. Balancing is something Blizzard still can't get right. Think about it, how many other MMOs have done so many drastic class tweaks as WoW has? Remember when Blizzard said "Cataclysm is our biggest expansion yet" then everyone logged on and went "uh wait this is it?"

As far as "murder for WoW's sub numbers" you do know that there are other mmos that have no subs that dwarf WoW? Runescape has 200 MILLION registered users and that's still not even #1 in the world. So please spare us the fanboy-filtered posts mmkay?

As for SWTOR, the Star Wars brand will keep the game going ... for a while at least. When the Farce Awakens came out it actually spiked subs and players here, not sure if they all stayed though. Unless someone starts working on a new Star Wars theme MMO, this one isn't going anywhere.

CaptV
03.21.2016 , 05:30 AM | #354
Honestly I think the films will save SWTOR from any kind of death, the next few years will keep SWTOR alive thanks to episodes 7-8-9 and the spin off comming this year rogue one.

It wont be necessarily a MAJOR influx of players but it may be enough to keep this thing going for quite a long time yet.

Isnogut
03.21.2016 , 07:21 AM | #355
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptV View Post
Honestly I think the films will save SWTOR from any kind of death, the next few years will keep SWTOR alive thanks to episodes 7-8-9 and the spin off comming this year rogue one.

It wont be necessarily a MAJOR influx of players but it may be enough to keep this thing going for quite a long time yet.
If BW acts like the last time EP 7 was released any of the Star Wars movies will have none impact to the game.

IMHO they should've synchronised KotFE's release with the release of EP 7, and do a lot of movie based stuff instead of HK-55.

As for WOW, Blizzard broke it similar to any other MMO out there which got their first addon. It seems this is a thing in the MMO genre. You release a new addon and boosten up the level speed, ease up the classes, smothen the GUI, get rid of unprominent crafting and missions, etc. Just look at any MMO who had the first or several addons. The more you compare them to Vanilla, you'll realise that all are streamed out the same way. They are killing the longevity of their own product.
IMHO all of the deveopers did major errors assuming the playerbase wants to be dumb. Because all easening up shows only on thing "you are dumb and lazy. Here I'll make it easier for you. Now give me your money."

You know what the funny thing with Wildstar is?
While it was unique in its first months, indeed it lost some customers. Still it has character. The it got streamlined out and even more customer left for good. It is simple to recognise why: They took the "soul" of this game also. By now it is nothing special with an unsettling kind of gameplay. So, why would anyone play that game, which behaves to complicated instead any other MMO around?

AlaricSevGirl
03.21.2016 , 07:35 AM | #356
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
This is NOT a PvP centered game, and never has been. Sure it has some PvP features in it, but they are not the core of the game for most players AND certainly not for the studio. PvPers need to pursue MMOs where PvP is more central to the core of the game design... Period. then again.. there are very few MMOs where PvP is core to the game. Maaaaayyyybeee Camelot Unchained could fill the hunger, but with Jacobs running that train.... it will go sideways shortly after launch and PvPers will hound the dev team and reject it.

Best PvP game on the market still today, IMO, is Eve Online.
Black Desert Online end game is all PvP.
GSS Legacy, StarForged
Guild Leader for Galactic Security Solutions (Pub)
Imperial Independence (Empire)

AlaricSevGirl
03.21.2016 , 07:39 AM | #357

Only if BW changes there stance on F2P and preferred players. Otherwise, no. They should have learned from all the rest. The new content should have been a B2P content for everyone, not just subs because it's not going to get them anywhere. Subbers want more. F2P and preferred want to play it. And very few give a damn about the HK reward items.
GSS Legacy, StarForged

AlaricSevGirl
03.21.2016 , 07:39 AM | #358
Quote: Originally Posted by jedip_enguin View Post
The difficulty was part of the design philosophy.
Which is what killed it.
GSS Legacy, StarForged

Krenzikai
03.21.2016 , 07:45 AM | #359
Quote: Originally Posted by DrowNoble View Post
WoW highly polished, high quality product? Thank you, I enjoyed having a good laugh.

As far as "murder for WoW's sub numbers" you do know that there are other mmos that have no subs that dwarf WoW? Runescape has 200 MILLION registered users and that's still not even #1 in the world. So please spare us the fanboy-filtered posts mmkay?
Registered user stats mean nothing. Battlestar Galactica Online boasted over 100 million registered users at some point. So turn down your fanboy filtered posts as well, mkay?

ChicksDigHarleys
03.21.2016 , 07:51 AM | #360

Only reason I play this game a couple months a year still is because it's Star Wars. If it was some random generic MMO, I would have left for good when 3.0 dumbed the game down. 4.0 is stupidly easy and not even fun. My newest character hit 65 before finishing Chapter 2, and never came close to death once, even soloing Heroics.
You are playing a frickin video game.
You are not hardcore by any reasonable definition.