Developer Update: Introduction to Galactic Strongholds

TaitWatson

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, the expansion meets my expectations for housing. Really like this preview, especially the moving pictures. Looking forward to seeing it in action on stream later today! :)

Hope the PTS will soon go up so we can test it ourselves.´

Edit: Looks like there is an error in the German translation. For Legacy Storage, it says "von einem Handwerker im Kartellmarkt kaufen" (in English: "buy it from a crafter in the Cartel Market"). Please add a "or" to not confuse German players that the Legacy Storage is only available via MTX.

Edited by Jerba

Having a hook system rather than total free will is very disappointing.

It doesn't look like a true hook system or a true "free will" system, but rather a hybrid approach where there are hooks, but you have free placement within that hook. I could be wrong, but that is what I gather from what I see.

It doesn't look like a true hook system or a true "free will" system, but rather a hybrid approach where there are hooks, but you have free placement within that hook. I could be wrong, but that is what I gather from what I see.

I can't place what I want where I want so it's a hook system. I'm limited by the hooks and it has to be the right type of hook even for the decoration. Looks like you can only off-set where things are on those hooks by 10 units on the X and Y axis and looks like you can only rotate things horizontally.

I want to be able to put whatever decorations wherever I want and rotate them on every axis. No scaling option either.

Edit:

The hooks system would be great as an aid but you should have the option to turn it off.

Edited by MarsherMeow

Hooks?

I knew they would half *** this but this is the most disappointed I have been by any tor news since launch

They had a real chance here and they have screwed it up :( we needed free form housing not hooks

Edited by bannsider

After studying the screenshots more closely, I noticed:

• There is a guild purchase option. I wonder if this refers to the Guild Flagships? And what are those Keyring strongholds?
  • The location of the Stronghold is called "Nar Shaddaa". I am really hoping that the Strongholds are in their own areas (like the daily areas) and are not connected to the planets. I don't want to sit in a 5 minute loading screen to visit my Tatooine homestead.

Definitely looking forward to more information!

Having a hook system rather than total free will is very disappointing.

They do talk about how they want to have the system as intuitive as possible, so I suppose that's the reason they went with the hook system.

Well played, from the looks you managed to build a uniquir system, more friendly for users than Wildstar but with the same freedom of moving stuff around;-)

Best housing system I have seen in a long run. What is that Guild Purchase....wait a moment...Guild Flaggships for fat big ******guilds and appartments for the smaller ones....YOU GUYs WATCHED LOG HORIZON. Well I like it very much, you have done well;)

I still don't get something... After unlocking, do all characters in my legacy get access to the same stronghold (say... on Coruscant) or is everyone getting their own "blank" stronghold.

I kind of sounds like the former, but I'm not sure.

I am surprissed that people thought this could be free placement like in RIFT. This is SWTOR, BioWare is always going for the solution will take the least amount of data to be stored, since the engine cannot handle to much information that have to be retrieved at once (or maybe it is just poor system structure).

Anyway, I am fine with how stongholds looks so far, but maybe it is just because I have reasonable expectations.

Legacy Storage is Cartel Market -or- Crafter.

Anyone else here worried that they'll pull the same garbage they pulled with the G7 ship components? You can get them for a brazillion Cartel Coins now, or you can wait 7 weeks until crafters have done enough of an artificially limited quest line and made enough of an artificially limited material to make them... :rolleyes:

Consider me disappointed.

I wanted free placement not bound to hooks. Three dimensional movement and allowing me to make the stronghold what I want it to be...

This is just a let down, and will stifle creativity.

Consider me disappointed.

I wanted free placement not bound to hooks. Three dimensional movement and allowing me to make the stronghold what I want it to be...

This is just a let down, and will stifle creativity.

I completly agree. Im not surprised though, BW isn't exactly famous for wanting their players to have any kind of freedom of choice in this game. How i miss SWG...

Hey everyone!

Hope you are enjoying the blog so far. Musco, Toby McCall, and Jack Wood will be doing a twitch stream later today at 1:30pm PDT where they will be giving you a preview of the decoration system of Galactic Strongholds.

Hope to see y'all there!

Can we get pricing on the legacy bank and more specifics? I feel like the information on it was fairly general for my tastes ^.^

When the PTS comes up, will you be freebiefying everything so we can see exactly how it all works?