Solo rank more about match making than skill?

SwtorThrill

If it's more about match making luck than skill, is that a good game design? I wonder how people earn 1500+ in solo. Who is that lucky to chain so many wins like that with match making the way it is? Can we discuss ways to fix this? Possible suggestions might be...

- Make match making truly random and not based on rating. I suggest this so you're not constantly grouped with the same people you lose with over and over again.

- Rework the entire point system. Make wins/losses a base amount with potential to add or subtract based on the number of medals earned. No I am not asking for a way to lose your way to the rating you want. Done right I feel like there is potential to make losses easier to take when you get bad luck in match making. This could end the "one step forward, two steps back" process that earning a solo rating seems to be for most people.

-Separate earning rank tiers by tank/dps/heal. This way you're really only competing with the people that queue as your role. Basically to be eligible for any of the tiers, you need to queue as a role 95% of the time on top of the number of games played.

The above probably isn't the best suggestions but there has to be a better way than what it currently is. If you disagree, would you please offer some tips on how you did it besides "get good."

If it's more about match making luck than skill, is that a good game design? I wonder how people earn 1500+ in solo. Who is that lucky to chain so many wins like that with match making the way it is? Can we discuss ways to fix this? Possible suggestions might be...

- Make match making truly random and not based on rating. I suggest this so you're not constantly grouped with the same people you lose with over and over again.

- Rework the entire point system. Make wins/losses a base amount with potential to add or subtract based on the number of medals earned. No I am not asking for a way to lose your way to the rating you want. Done right I feel like there is potential to make losses easier to take when you get bad luck in match making. This could end the "one step forward, two steps back" process that earning a solo rating seems to be for most people.

-Separate earning rank tiers by tank/dps/heal. This way you're really only competing with the people that queue as your role. Basically to be eligible for any of the tiers, you need to queue as a role 95% of the time on top of the number of games played.

The above probably isn't the best suggestions but there has to be a better way than what it currently is. If you disagree, would you please offer some tips on how you did it besides "get good."

You sound like a sensible person who gets it! There are a few who will fight you on it like the turd who told u to "get good"! I respect outside opinions about the state of pvp and welcome the presentation of them. Speak your mind!

Even if you take the ELO factor out, matchmaking is still fundamentally broken because of how it stacks classes or class types.

Ie, played some solo last night and multiple matches it put all ranged against all melee. I had one match that was 2 Mercs + 2 snipers vs 3 juggs + 1 Assassin. Other matches of all stealth vs all non stealth, etc. (you get the idea).

And while ever we have that as a major factor, then ELO isn’t determined by skill, but by the luck of the draw or what classes are on your team.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Solo ranked is all about gaming the queue system. Only queuing when healers are queuing or adding people to your friends list and only queue after they are in a match to avoid certain players etc...Good players can carry, but only by so much. A lot of it comes down to luck. Did the queue decide to say screw you and stack 4 ops on one side? Good luck.

Even if you take the ELO factor out, matchmaking is still fundamentally broken because of how it stacks classes or class types.

Ie, played some solo last night and multiple matches it put all ranged against all melee. I had one match that was 2 Mercs + 2 snipers vs 3 juggs + 1 Assassin. Other matches of all stealth vs all non stealth, etc. (you get the idea).

And while ever we have that as a major factor, then ELO isn’t determined by skill, but by the luck of the draw or what classes are on your team.

This is one of the nice things about FFXIV. It always ensures in their ranked mode that both teams have a ranged and a melee. Granted they have cross server queueing so they got a bigger pool to pull from, but still. For a game who's pvp is kinda meh, they put a lot of effort into trying to balance it. Yoshi P really loves pvp and he's constantly trying to make it work in ffxiv with redesigns almost every expansion.

Edited by Raansu

I gotta tell you, when it comes to solo ranked in swtor, there is no such thing as luck ;)

This is 100% the truth. Mero, you feeling ok? :p

Fact is the ranked "system" operates in a fashion where people's rating actually DOES NOT gave a fairly honest representation of their actual skill.

1. There are so many ways for players to cheat/manipulate match outcomes, so easy that it is an epidemic, a real chronic problem in ranked that adds toxicity to the game mode which already struggles with a lot of negative attitudes.

2. ELO/Rating takes too big of a hit from losses. When so much is out of control of the player, it doesn't make sense to punish people with such harsh ELO loss! That's why it's so fckeing annoying having to eat losses where you did nothing wrong and neither did most other people, but! All it took was one guy to agree to drop match, vote kick, or cheese the match some other way to ensure he loses for his pal opposite of him. I really lost all patience when this became a pattern in my Solo Ranked matches I began playing last year.

3. Class Balance. Come on BW. Some minor frequent changes would go so far, such a long way in the communities eyes! Show your game and your player base you care, sheesh! Some classes (AP PT, Operative DPS) are so far out of whack and then some people also have pointed out some major concerns with one of the Jugg armor sets that is causing huge imbalance in the fights... Fix these problems! If you fix these little issues, people will show you more respect and your game will get MORE PLAYERS! More players = More Subs, which equals more money for BW!

4. Add more rewards for WZs. That will get people into them more... More tech frags, more crafting mats, or, whatever you come up with! Just, PVP needs some carrots right now a players time is not rewarded for the effort or time they invest in PVP when trying to gear up compared to PVE activities. This discourages PVPers from playing the game... Not what you think, which I am sure you think people will just suffer the PVE for gears even if they are PVPers. Well, if you think that, you are wrong. I just lost interest in the game the more you guys lost interest in PVP and started neglecting it.

5. Tougher punitive action against cheaters and hackers, traders, throwers, kickers, all violations in ranked ought to be punished harshly. Another big thing that would be even better is if BW could have some sort of active guides ingame that can address cheating as soon as it begins! A huge problem with SWTOR ranked is disruptive, extreme toxic behavior isn't handled in a timely manner.

Instead, they have you use a ridiculously inefficient "report" ticket system that relies on getting their entire name correctly which is nearly impossible with so many bad apples as they purposefully use alt-coded letters so you cannot report them, just one part of the issue. The other part is, the bad apple simply wrecks the entire server's ranked matches with bad disruptive behavior and it goes on for not just hours, but DAYS sometimes. This is unacceptable.

6. Vote Kick needs removed. It's clear it's become a new favorite tool for bad apples to use to manipulate matches for wins/losses, and it's also used just for the sake of abusing it against someone that is ostracized for no other reason than some other player dislikes them personally. Just remove this crap already.

7. Give players WZ selection! This is so long overdue. If you do this, it will completely stop all the complaining by most players who hate the present deserter debuff.

My opinion on the quitter debuff and how WZ selection would go hand in hand with it!

Most people will not knowingly leave a match and eat a deserter debuff if they like the map and it starts going south.

Most players are mature enough to realize losing is part of the game, and most players know a game can appear to be a complete wash but in fact can get turned around and a miraculous win can come out after all!

Personally I feel a sense of respect to other players that best me, that's why I never understood why people rage and quit a match just because they start to lose. What a cowardly behavior.

I always found I improved the most from some of my hardest matches and toughest enemies, just because it pushes your effort and that in turn can improve skill!

Yup, yesterday I had a game with 4 operatives on the same team. A few days ago, I had a game against 4 powertechs on the same team.

How do you win those games??

Edited by KingDeathII

Yup, yesterday I had a game with 4 operatives on the same team. A few days ago, I had a game against 4 powertechs on the same team.

How do you win those games??

class stacking is a problem for all classes 4 mercs/sorc will also be annoying to deal with it. they just need to block class stacking

It highlights class imbalances. That is my feeling.