Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Verisimilitude: Roleplaying or just, "I do what I want!"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Roleplaying
Verisimilitude: Roleplaying or just, "I do what I want!"

Meluna
03.17.2012 , 09:41 PM | #441
Hello there, folks. We're just dropping a reminder to please stay civil and avoid getting personal in sharing your opinions. If this thread continues along its current course (off topic and personal dissections of other members' posts) we will have to close it for going off topic. Thanks for your understanding.

AlyxDinas
03.17.2012 , 10:25 PM | #442
Quote: Originally Posted by Sendra View Post
I love this post!
I appreciate this.

As to the notion that this conversation has not been civil, I must simply add a polite voice of dissent. No one here has been exceedingly rude on either side, and I feel the discussion has been spirited, fruitful, and topical.
'Jeos Dinas'-Ebon Hawk
Manager, The Ebon Hawk Bounty Board
"Perception Problem."

Darth_Slaine
03.17.2012 , 11:45 PM | #443
Just to reset a little, let us remind ourselves of the topic...

Quote: Originally Posted by ProfessorWalsh View Post
Verisimilitude is a word which refers to story or roleplaying elements that fit within the contexts of the setting.

It does not mean "What is realistic" it instead means "What is realistic for the setting."
We have, I think, finished discussing whether other players can be forced to adhere to our own personal ideas of verisimilitude, so let us return to another facet of the original topic, and I shall put forth the question:

How do you create a sense of verisimilitude within your own RP?

Perhaps you switch out of your heavy armor when you are in the cantina? Or maybe you RP eating lunch or using the fresher (not with company, Kharnis!). How do you make your RP interactions feel real rather than scripted or wooden?

Though, if this is not the right place for a general discussion of verisimilitude in RP then we can make our own thread. I have no intention of rehashing the specific example of player behavior from the OP -- if we are expected to focus on it, I would rather start fresh somewhere else.

RebelWeasel
03.18.2012 , 11:17 AM | #444
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Slaine View Post

We have, I think, finished discussing whether other players can be forced to adhere to our own personal ideas of verisimilitude, so let us return to another facet of the original topic, and I shall put forth the question:

I make use of the environment around me to add details to flesh out my RP so it's not a static conversation.

I interact with NPC's in emotes, either with whispered conversations or motions.
I interact with objects in emotes, for instance I walk to a trash can to throw a empty drink container away.
I keep in motion, walk around a bit, pace, etc. My main character is paranoid about her safety, so she takes brief breaks in her conversations to "walk the perimeter". I like to do this because it offers something else to talk about, gets movement and action into my RP, and also people can chose to walk with me and talk, or if people stay, I just left an opening for other people to talk with the person I was with so that I'm not monopolizing the RP.

Believe it or not... weather. LOL this is so cliche' but yeah, complaining about how cold you are on Alderaan or how hot you are on Tatooine, or desperately looking for a good sunscreen product is a great ice breaker.

I was the one who was uncivil. I get irritated with the control-freak aspect of RP communities and probably went too far in trying to defend my right to play my character my way without judgment and interference. I wish I had the diplomatic skill to get such points across as politely as Darth_Slaine does My apologies for getting us in trouble.
My curiosity is stronger than your security measure.
Game Revolution Radio

ProfessorWalsh
03.18.2012 , 01:18 PM | #445
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Slaine View Post

Perhaps you switch out of your heavy armor when you are in the cantina? Or maybe you RP eating lunch or using the fresher (not with company, Kharnis!). How do you make your RP interactions feel real rather than scripted or wooden?

Though, if this is not the right place for a general discussion of verisimilitude in RP then we can make our own thread. I have no intention of rehashing the specific example of player behavior from the OP -- if we are expected to focus on it, I would rather start fresh somewhere else.
Things I do include having different outfits for different locations, the fresher is assumed to usually have been used on the ship. If I have to go AFK during an RP I'll usually walk over to my ship after excusing myself by saying I had to use the 'fresher.

For different planets/places I have different robes/outfits for Val.

On tatooine I have a pair of robes that provide what looks like good ventilation. For the fleet station he's usually in his medium armor as he usually leaves for missions from there and the medium armor tends to look rather functional. On Alderaan or Hoth he has a set of robes that look very thick. On planets known to be highly dangerous he's usually wearing his medium armor.

For social events he has a series of outfits that range from officer's gear (to reflect his status as an agent for the SIS) to very traditional Jedi Robes.
"There is no room for compromise. We walk the path of the light side, or we fall into darkness. There is no gray area, Ben."
~ Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker (P. 187 FotJ, Book II: Omen)
Host of the Jedi Council stream also author of From the Journal of Val Starwind

Guildrum
03.19.2012 , 12:17 PM | #446
Quote:

On my Smuggler at least, I try to use orange gear to RP clothing appropriate for the setting. For Hoth, Belsavis and Hoth (which have been somewhat colder planets, Belsavis having a lot of snow still, and Voss being kind of an autumn feel), I wear a long cloak that looks warm. But on Tatooine and warmer planets, I wear the Hammer Station orange gear that looks more appropriate for that setting, as well as using that as my "casual clothing".

On my Inquisitor, he never changes out of his robes, but he always goes out of my way to complain about the uncomfortableness of the weather. Just landed on Tatooine, should be fun!

Nightspirit
03.25.2012 , 09:29 PM | #447
I don't RP so I'm probably missing something but what exactly is wrong with what the Padawans were doing? My interpretation of events is that these Padawans were probably RP'ing dark sided Jedi (or on their wayto being Dark Sided Jedi) which is completely in the game's lore. I don't think telling the OP to stick it was metagaming, I think it was part of their roleplay. You can't play on a roleplayiong server in a game that includes dark Jedi and complain when someone actually roleplays a dark Jedi.
"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippman

"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here. This is the war room!" Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

ProfessorWalsh
03.25.2012 , 10:22 PM | #448
Quote: Originally Posted by Nightspirit View Post
I don't RP so I'm probably missing something but what exactly is wrong with what the Padawans were doing? My interpretation of events is that these Padawans were probably RP'ing dark sided Jedi (or on their wayto being Dark Sided Jedi) which is completely in the game's lore. I don't think telling the OP to stick it was metagaming, I think it was part of their roleplay. You can't play on a roleplayiong server in a game that includes dark Jedi and complain when someone actually roleplays a dark Jedi.
Well I will try to explain it Nightspirit.

First you have to understand that within the lore Dark Jedi are not accepted. This is a major issue, a Jedi openly being a Dark Jedi would, by the lore be taken down by the Jedi Order. People can play Dark Jedi, yes, but you can't actually be a "Dark Jedi" openly or there would be heavy retribution.

Basically put... Dark Jedi are an option, but it is not "legal" and the Jedi Order legally within the Republic can take into custody any Force User that they want. So while you can be a Dark Jedi you have to keep it mostly on the down low.
"There is no room for compromise. We walk the path of the light side, or we fall into darkness. There is no gray area, Ben."
~ Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker (P. 187 FotJ, Book II: Omen)
Host of the Jedi Council stream also author of From the Journal of Val Starwind

TheGreatNeechi
03.26.2012 , 12:00 PM | #449
Quote: Originally Posted by ProfessorWalsh View Post
Well I will try to explain it Nightspirit.

First you have to understand that within the lore Dark Jedi are not accepted. This is a major issue, a Jedi openly being a Dark Jedi would, by the lore be taken down by the Jedi Order. People can play Dark Jedi, yes, but you can't actually be a "Dark Jedi" openly or there would be heavy retribution.

Basically put... Dark Jedi are an option, but it is not "legal" and the Jedi Order legally within the Republic can take into custody any Force User that they want. So while you can be a Dark Jedi you have to keep it mostly on the down low.
Or, you can navigate your role-play around the openly played Dark Jedi on the following assumptions:

1) You as a player cannot stop the other player from playing a Dark Jedi.
2) In-Character, there is nothing you as a Jedi can do about a Dark Jedi for the above reason.
3) Your character may not even exist in Nightspirit's story arc.

So, once again, the best course of action for you --the player-- when you see something happening that doesn't make any sense lore wise... is to simply ignore it.

There is nothing else you can do about it.
Azhal of the A'qell Legacy
Kath Hound role-player
The Proxima Initiative