Low level FPs are a disaster

Lium

So, out of the spirit of nostalgia (and my love for this game) I decided to roll a brand new character. A JC, which was my very first toon in SWTOR six years ago. I wanted to play it naturally, the way the game existed back then. That means as soon as you leave your starter world, you run your first instance.

This is where the fun promptly stopped. First of all, it takes forever waiting in the queue, even with the way things are now. There is no more trinity so your group can be made up of any class and spec. Which sounds good on paper, but in reality, this is an utter disaster.

Vanilla flashpoints were designed with the trinity in mind. They were not set up to have a group of four DPS like the later tactical FPs are. Coupled with the fact that every FP can now be run solo means that not a single person knows how to run group content anymore, or so it seems. A typical group zones in to the FP and then EVERYONE immediately starts running every which way attacking whatever is shooting. This means that the group is wiping constantly. No exaggeration. Even level 70s. There is no communication, no coordination, and no teamwork whatsoever. Just death, and soon after disbandment.

At first I thought I had just gotten a bad group. But after three or four more times of the exact same thing happening, I could see it was a pattern. I cannot imagine what this must be like for any new players checking out the game.

BW, you need to do something to fix lowbie flashpoints. Maybe something like what FFXIV does and implement a level sync and/or make the trinity relevant again for pre-tactical FPs. The solo mode is great, but for those who want to run them the way they were originally intended, make them as they were. Teach people how to run group content again.

Please.

Edited by Lium

/signed

This is sad but true. I have been avoiding lowbie fps like a plague for years now, for this reason. And this is coming from someone who used to often level via FPs only while they still had role-que.

New tanks, healers and dps don't get any practice on group content nowadays because nothing is controlled in a randomized group, and then I see them quing HM fp with roleque and be completely clueless and apparently think that everyone is a dps and tank at the same time (not respecting the roleque at all is so common, idk why but I keep getting tanks quing as DPS more than anything else on HMs).

I can understand the need to relieve role que when lvling is getting rarer and rarer, but... This current state is just really bad. I'd personally much rather sit in a que for an hour while lvling to get a proper group than have a 50% chance of rage-disbandment.

Hell, I raid nims weekly and my lv 17 lowbie cannot carry all-dps bloodhunt. I thought that would be obvious but apparently que thinks bunch of 20s can handle that with just koltoboxes :rolleyes:

Edited by Kiesu

Agreed.

And you guys didn't even mention the newest FPs from the Iokath story. Even trinities can have a very hard time on Umbara.

BW, tune down the numbers in pug tacticals, or return the queue system to be trinity based (then tune down Umbara anyway. Many HM FPs including the SoR ones are easier than it in tactical...)

Edited by Rafiknoll

I made my first dedicated healer, a sorc, and leveled him 90% through Flashpoints. I hoped to have experience with healing and feel confident by the time I reached 70 and started into Ops.

Instead, while I'm trying to heal the group, even when I'm doing a good job keeping everyone topped off, every 30 seconds there is somebody hitting one of those kolto stations. This renders me essentially useless and tries to guilt me into DPSing, but even more importantly, it saps me of any confidence in my actual healing abilities. I can't tell if I'm keeping things up well enough because the Kolto Stations do 3/4ths of the work. I can't tell if I'm managing my mana well enough, because of huge lulls where I can recover while the Kolta Stations carry us. So when I reached level 70, and people expect me to be experienced and know what I'm doing and how to play my class... I just basically shelved my healer and stuck with my Tank and DPS characters.

Firsthand, players cannot learn if there is no way to be given the opportunity. I would say that creating a "story mode" difficulty level queue that remained role specific would be the answer, but I don't think many players would actually use it and the results would be that it never pops. I don't know what the right answer would be, but I would like to be able to play as a role other than DPS and actually be allowed to get a feel for my abilities and hone my craft prior to being thrown into 8 man Ops that annoy 7 other people if you're still figuring out your basic abilities and rotation.

This has been an issue for years now and you're quite right. But I don't think BW wants to do anything about it. It's strange but in many ways the game has been dumbed down but there are some FPs and SM bosses that they didn't tune down creating a vastly inconsistent experience.

As much as I hate that the game is dumbed down so much, if you're gonna do it, make it all around. Some of the FPs also have bugged bosses which makes it even harder sometimes. You can learn to deal with it but it's not for casual players at that point.

It simply makes no sense.

This has been an issue for years now and you're quite right. But I don't think BW wants to do anything about it. It's strange but in many ways the game has been dumbed down but there are some FPs and SM bosses that they didn't tune down creating a vastly inconsistent experience.

As much as I hate that the game is dumbed down so much, if you're gonna do it, make it all around. Some of the FPs also have bugged bosses which makes it even harder sometimes. You can learn to deal with it but it's not for casual players at that point.

It simply makes no sense.

Total BINGO! Low level FPs are exactly as you all have said. Sadly, MM FP are starting to turn to garbage. The PUG TANK is dead. You either get someone who has no clue about the FP, their gear or both. RIN is crudola.

Folks, BW moved on. Sure you'll get some some SHs, a pvp update or a FP... but they're no longer really manning the store. Like you, I'm here because I love this game but there'll be no updates to FPs, or patches to fix this game. The poor fuel tank is out of gas, and EA isn't really funding the credit card anymore.

:)

For me, the problem with low level FPs is that they're not actually scaled down to low level. They should be populated with lvl 15 or lvl 20 mobs, to match the average level of the players. A lvl 12 dps, even boosted, can't kill a lvl 70 silver enemy, he just doesn't have the necessary skills and abilities to overcome that massive hp. I used to love teaming for Hammer Station, but now I only do so once I hit lvl 50 at least, or I'm 100% certain that I'll have to be carried. Group Finder really needs a serious rework...

I never run Veteran flashpoints due to that reason, unless I'm leveling and even then I stick to things that it would be on my "level range", honestly I think that the biggest problem is some bosses aren't finely tuned. The first boss of Mandalorian Raiders needs to be kited and taunt, if you have 4 DPS classes without a taunt it's going to be a pain to grab aggro on him when he does his AOE. Honestly I'd say just remove these sort of mechanics or, my preferred option to be honest, make it so every FP goes back to requiring the trinity role even if you're still going to allow players to queue for all of the Flashpoints. While KDY is pretty easy to do it even with a DPS group, provided you're smart about it, the other FPs are sometimes poorly tuned. The addition of Kolto Stations help in case you don't have a healer but in Red Reaper the adds... doing that without a healer and a tank is extremely painful even with proper CCs in place, either way I appreciate Bioware's intention on it but I strongly think they should work those damage percentages a little bit in some FPs or require the trinity role, KDY is a fun and good way to level up but they shouldn't have had turned every other FP into it because it's now how they were originally designed and as we can see it can end rather poorly. As for bad players queueing... well not sure what they can do about it, there's already eternal championship for people who want to learn proper mechanics, and difficulty modes for the "newer" expansions, those who want to learn do, those who don't don't. Not sure what Bioware can do about it., best case scenario they restrict the harder MM FPs to a certain gear rating like they've been doing with the newer FPs.

Bolster is part of the issue. Ive recently started a sorc healer wearing an item in each slot, and with the bolster its only been boosting tertiary stats to 600-800 (Alac>Crit) which as a 70 is way too low to have meaningful impact. And the bolster doesn't boost your damage reduction like higher level gear does by default due to its higher armour rating.

I also think they need to rework some of the important skills that help survival/healing or add to the damage rotation.

Example, vanguards have to wait until level 58 to get storm. This is far too long. If your a low level tank having storm early on can help you a lot. Getting it at 58 seems silly. There are more examples for other classes too where a handy skill is given much later on and it would help low level players out quite a bit if it was given much much earlier.

Healers need to wait until much later also to get the really useful skills that become part of their rotation. Right now a low level sorc will only have the 3 slow expensive heals and no passives to help with resource management and they can become "out of force" way to easily and will struggle to emergency heal one player let alone a team of them if they are all taking too much damage.

I've been having the complete opposite experience, I also recently started a new character, and have leveled him exclusevly with FP's and story missions, and i've had a very positive experience with veterab FP's.

Most, if not all FP's ive ran, people seem to be quite pacient, and they're very vocal, if they don't know a certain fight, or someone asks something about the fights.

There's always someone warning when they're gonna do pulls, and where to stand to group up mobs, and are very willing to teach newer people.

This wasn't a fluke either, I ran well over 30 FP's during the last two days, and sure, some could be a little heptic, but for the most part, they weren't.

Just yesterday, I ran a Directive 7, on my new 55 PT, and had THREE, level 20ish on the group, sure we wiped on pulls a couple of times, but they were very pacient, and listened to every tip i gave them, and followed them to the letter.

We ended up taking a bit over an hour an a half, but boy I had a blast, they really were trying, and were very talkactive thru the entire FP.

Which they all ended up with a very positive experience, and learned the ropes of that FP.

So I must be playing on a complete different game.

Edited by aitorlovesbecky

A lvl 12 dps, even boosted, can't kill a lvl 70 silver enemy, he just doesn't have the necessary skills and abilities to overcome that massive hp.

A lvl 12 can only queue for Esseles/Black Talon. Both FPs aren't bolstered to lvl 70. Just nitpicking. :D

You and me both. Sure there's the occasional hiccup that ends up in the 'weird people' thread, but the vast majority of my runs are uneventful and smooth with the odd dead person here and there, but that's not too different from before. The only sometimes unfinishable FPs for low or lower levels are the last three and Blood Hunt second boss.

I've been having the complete opposite experience, I also recently started a new character, and have leveled him exclusevly with FP's and story missions, and i've had a very positive experience with veterab FP's.

Most, if not all FP's ive ran, people seem to be quite pacient, and they're very vocal, if they don't know a certain fight, or someone asks something about the fights.

There's always someone warning when they're gonna do pulls, and where to stand to group up mobs, and are very willing to teach newer people.

This wasn't a fluke either, I ran well over 30 FP's during the last two days, and sure, some could be a little heptic, but for the most part, they weren't.

Just yesterday, I ran a Directive 7, on my new 55 PT, and had THREE, level 20ish on the group, sure we wiped on pulls a couple of times, but they were very pacient, and listened to every tip i gave them, and followed them to the letter.

We ended up taking a bit over an hour an a half, but boy I had a blast, they really were trying, and were very talkactive thru the entire FP.

Which they all ended up with a very positive experience, and learned the ropes of that FP.

In your situation I too would have had a blast running that FP. However, the problem is the statement I highlighted. There are some - but not as many as most would think - that are unwilling to take that kind of time to run a single FP. And it is that segment of the population that want to "get in, get it done, and get out" and will rage quit at the first wipe, or auto quit because the random FP they got is "too long" that ruins the experience for the rest of the group.

We all know why tactical/veteran mode FPs were introduced (just in case someone does not know... there have been and always will an overabundance of DPS and a shortage of tanks and healers), but IMO it was the incorrect choice. What BW should have done was kept the trinity, but encourage players to queue in underrepresented roles; give players incentive to queue as tank or healer instead of DPS.

Blizzard did it with WoW to eventual great success. And all they had to do was offer the chance at rare items and players jumped at it. Most of the time the "reward" for queuing and completing a dungeon in an underrepresented role amounts to little more than crafting materials and/or some potions and the like. But there was always the chance to get something special: a mount or a pet.

Sure, initially there were players who were not suited to tanking and healing queuing in those roles, but they were few, most (who I grouped with in that game) found the roles not nearly as bad as they envisioned and some took a real liking to their new "non-DPS" role. And it cut the queue times for DPS in half.

Has anyone every tried doing Umbara/Copero/Nathema on Vet? I've had more wipes on Vet then I have on MM...And ever done them with all below 40s? That *is* a disaster waiting to happen. Edited by iFenris

FPs, more and more for me, are becoming as much of a headache as putting up with PvP.

Long waits between pops, regardless of role (waiting as a tank is ridiculous; that used to be the golden role to get instant pops any time of the day, but not anymore), regardless of how many are in the group (meaning I've waited more than 15 minutes with a group of 3 queued up and waiting to go).

Too much noobish behavior to put up with--spacebar monkeys; "vets" who want to thread the needle between every single mob and end up pulling most anyway; dps who know maybe two attacks tops; dps who don't understand what the other two roles can and can't do; players standing in bad circles; everyone wants to skip every bonus boss; so many players run the flashpoint acting like they have their GSI droid with them; little to no communication--almost always from the guy who keeps messing everything up.

Too many reasons Bioware has fostered bad behavior--nerfing vanilla content so much that players are going into group content with no idea not only how to use certain abilities, but that they even have them in the first place! (Cleanse? Interrupt? CC? DCD? *** are you talking about?!) Empowering companions and the GSI droid have made most content trivial--they are being carried throughout most of the game and go into group content expecting other people to carry them--they're used to it, after all. Very little content has any middle ground between waaaaaayyyyy over-tuned to waaaaayyyy under-tuned. It's either too easy or too hard, and it's completely inconsistent between Vet and MM anymore. The way they "tuned" the harder-mode chapters and uprisings has set the stage for this inconsistency. Putting kolto stations everywhere and overtuning Vet FPs to the point that almost all dps PANIC when they take a single hit and charge for the stations because this is their life in most all-dps FPs now.

I'm sure there are a lot more reasons, these are just the ones that come immediately to mind. It gets harder and harder to press the queue button in Activity Finder just like it's nearly impossible to hit the PvP queue even when in the proper mood.

Same here, but as everyone knows, it's the position of the complaining people(s) to always exaggerate and make up numbers and tales of woe in order to try and win points for their crusade.

If it's all true, however, how about actually making a few friends and doing them together instead of just joining a random guild with XP boosts? Na, way too much logic in that one.

Flashpoints have always been one of my favorite parts of the game to play, but I've played since launch and was a Hardmode/Nightmare player almost immediately. I never really did what is now known as Veteran flashpoints because I always found them to be too easy. With the exception of Umbara, Chiss, Nametha, and BoR Bonus boss, I'm 100% on Master mode flashpoints (I only mention this to give you an idea of how often I run flashpoints). It wasn't until recently that I started running Vets to fill in all those empty achievements, and to be honest, like others have said before me, there are so many people who have no idea how to play their class, and by that I mean a complete lack of understanding as to the basics of their abilities/utilities. It's gotten to the point that I won't run vets on anything other than my Tank, because even if the rest of the group dies, I can easily solo everything, regardless if there's also people pulling 3-4 groups of mobs while also engaged in a boss encounter. I used to think healing would be the way to go, but as previously pointed out already, the second anybody takes any amount of damage, they run straight for the kolto stations, even if I'm spam healing them and they've never even gone below 80-90% hp, rendering the healing position absolutely useless. Running a DPS isn't terrible, but it's a lot easier for me to survive and carry peoples lack of understanding with a Tank that can, for the most part, control the direction of the fights, and or keep people from getting killed or wiping the group because they simply do not understand what they should be doing and or know how to do it.

As for the solution, all I can do is speculate from my experiences. Personally I think that tactical FP's are a nightmare, and that Kolto stations are the devil and I wish they'd all be blown out of existence. I understand that there are a lot of folks who aren't skilled players, and don't know everything about everything, but regardless you should know the basics of the class you are playing, I.E. what abilities do what, how to and when to use your defensive cool-downs, and simple things like how certain abilities stun weak mobs without having to use an actual hard stun, making taking weak mobs down so much easier. Speaking of weak mobs, I find it amazing how many people think gold and silvers should die first, and completely ignore weak mobs even though they do just as much if not more damage at times and are 10 times easier to kill. Part of the reason may be that Bioware should do a better job at teaching new players how to use abilities, defensive cool-downs, and movement type abilities, but at the same time, players should take the time to learn that stuff on their own, a lot of people are just lazy, and want to be carried through everything, have everything handed to them, never challenge or push themselves to be better. A lot of folks want that kolto station to lean on for instant safety over knowing how to counter incoming damage with a defensive cool-down.

Speaking of weak mobs, I find it amazing how many people think gold and silvers should die first, and completely ignore weak mobs even though they do just as much if not more damage at times and are 10 times easier to kill.

Quoted for truth - I have given up trying to tell the dps to 'kill the weaker enemies first, elites last'.

It's the main reason I stopped even trying to heal vet mode - if my heals need a vet fp for whatever reason I que as a dps. It's EASIER to kill the trash myself than try to heal the idiot dps as they ignore the trash and beat on the elites.

I did say this at the start and also during many discussions like this. I do understand the scaling of the Operations due to lack of content. I did understand the switch from the Trinity to "any spec" due to the problem of finding a group but what it lead to is what the OP is talking about.

I was also leveling toons now (i am replying the class stories as I spacebared them before) and wanted to que for the FPS too, it was terrible, and doing them on a level 20 Marauder is not exactly easy. However, what I hated the most are the spoilers. Imagine you are new to the game and want to do the story, you make a Jedi Knight and start off on Tython, continue to Coruscant and then you que for FPS and get the Assault on Tython! There you see spoilers from the future content on how Tython will be sieged. Then you go back to class story and go back to Tython to consult the Jedi order but everything is fine again! What a terrible way to go for new people.

This reminds me of how lowbie and mid pvp is dead because Bioware only care about people playing end game content and the detriment to the rest of the game.

I'm sad about that too. It was good fun just creating ridiculous fashion character duos and whatnot for lowbie pvp and recreate them every time you reached next level tier. Pops so rarely now the magic of random pvp shenanigans is largely gone :p

Too many reasons Bioware has fostered bad behavior--nerfing vanilla content so much that players are going into group content with no idea not only how to use certain abilities, but that they even have them in the first place! (Cleanse? Interrupt? CC? DCD? *** are you talking about?!) Empowering companions and the GSI droid have made most content trivial--they are being carried throughout most of the game and go into group content expecting other people to carry them--they're used to it, after all. Very little content has any middle ground between waaaaaayyyyy over-tuned to waaaaayyyy under-tuned. It's either too easy or too hard, and it's completely inconsistent between Vet and MM anymore. The way they "tuned" the harder-mode chapters and uprisings has set the stage for this inconsistency. Putting kolto stations everywhere and overtuning Vet FPs to the point that almost all dps PANIC when they take a single hit and charge for the stations because this is their life in most all-dps FPs now.

Lol those were painfully accurate observations of people doing group content like every day would be their first day in swtor. I try my best to carry newbs trough HM content (nobody likes kicking anyone) but when you have tanks quing as dps with a strait face, healers who dont know what cleanse is and dps who's kill priority and ability usage is something out of a meme video I cant help but to audibly facepalm in team chat after a while (usually after a wipe by said heroes to something painfully obvious).

I don't do lowbie fps anymore because in my experience these guys litter that mode like 10 to 1, and it's just crazy bad experience. Plus I dont know how the group finder thinks bunch of 20s can do any SOR or newer fps, the difficulty level is all over the place with the lowbie fps. You can understand difficulty increase of actual lvcap content, but when you think putting a lv 20 in Copero is fine you're just asking to get laughed at...

Edited by Kiesu

Has anyone every tried doing Umbara/Copero/Nathema on Vet? I've had more wipes on Vet then I have on MM...And ever done them with all below 40s? That *is* a disaster waiting to happen.

I read about that from guildies, but here on the forums, people told me that this cannot be true.

For me, the problem with low level FPs is that they're not actually scaled down to low level. They should be populated with lvl 15 or lvl 20 mobs, to match the average level of the players. A lvl 12 dps, even boosted, can't kill a lvl 70 silver enemy, he just doesn't have the necessary skills and abilities to overcome that massive hp. I used to love teaming for Hammer Station, but now I only do so once I hit lvl 50 at least, or I'm 100% certain that I'll have to be carried. Group Finder really needs a serious rework...

I agree to that. But face it : The devs just don't care for low level anymore. EA wants players to exclusively be in the subscriber-only level 70 area. That's why they don't care about low level content anymore.

So, economy decisions are driving content. It's like a watermark shining through.

Plus, devs are driven by those loud voices calling out for "moar content !" At endgame, of course. Not at all at low level.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I did say this at the start and also during many discussions like this. I do understand the scaling of the Operations due to lack of content. I did understand the switch from the Trinity to "any spec" due to the problem of finding a group but what it lead to is what the OP is talking about.

I was also leveling toons now (i am replying the class stories as I spacebared them before) and wanted to que for the FPS too, it was terrible, and doing them on a level 20 Marauder is not exactly easy. However, what I hated the most are the spoilers. Imagine you are new to the game and want to do the story, you make a Jedi Knight and start off on Tython, continue to Coruscant and then you que for FPS and get the Assault on Tython! There you see spoilers from the future content on how Tython will be sieged. Then you go back to class story and go back to Tython to consult the Jedi order but everything is fine again! What a terrible way to go for new people.

I understand also why they made the change, they should have however, just sticking a few med stations around the bosses does not make these flashpoints role neutral, so in addition to the change they really needed to take a close look at the mechanics of each flashpoint in detail and see if you truly needed tanking abilities to complete somewhat easily (or certainally not difficult).

As for the spoiler issue, I agree its terrible and at one point I would have argued back in the day for the level restrictions to come back so that a level 30 character can only queue for Hammer Station, Athiss and Mandalorian Raiders (I cannot remember if Cademu was a sub level 30 flashpoint or not), However, there is still a problem of levelling much faster than the story content which means even if level locked its too easy to be in a flashpoint greater than your story progress, I mean I used to hit level 60 by Alderran so I would get said queues for Blood Hunt and the other Forged Alliances flashpoints. I don't know if it would be possible to lock the flashpoints to story progress though I could see the complaints about players not being able to join their guildmates/friends in flashpoints due to the lock.

Perhaps story flashpoints could be removed from the requirements for the daily rewards and have a separate tick box for spoiler flashpoints and regular flashpoints? honestly I don't know what would be the best solution for it.

Instead, while I'm trying to heal the group, even when I'm doing a good job keeping everyone topped off, every 30 seconds there is somebody hitting one of those kolto stations. This renders me essentially useless and tries to guilt me into DPSing, but even more importantly, it saps me of any confidence in my actual healing abilities. I can't tell if I'm keeping things up well enough because the Kolto Stations do 3/4ths of the work. I can't tell if I'm managing my mana well enough, because of huge lulls where I can recover while the Kolta Stations carry us.
Wow...I'm 100% guilty of doing this, but not for any of the reasons you seem to think...I hit the kolto stations to lighten the healing you need to do on me, not to guilt you into anything else. Most of the time, I'm on a DPS toon, so healing me is a b****! I have NEVER hit the stations for any reason except to alleviate the burden I feel I'm placing on YOU, as a healer...

If you're ever with me in a PuG, please tell me...Tactical FPs are a different beast and I never like making someone feel like they have to be dedicated to just healing me if they don't want to. I'll be more aware of this post the next time I PuG as well...I had never thought about it in this way.

Has anyone every tried doing Umbara/Copero/Nathema on Vet? I've had more wipes on Vet then I have on MM...And ever done them with all below 40s? That *is* a disaster waiting to happen.

These are a disaster on ANY AND ALL levels with random groups. I've removed the above 3 from my FP queuing list options as they're so bad.

As for the other FPs I've rarely seen any problems - I must be very very lucky with the groups I've got. On the rare occasion that there has been a dick in the group (you know the type I mean - a lowbie treating the group like his/her personal xp boost and aggroing every mob when they don't need to) I just quit group.

For those who wish to heal or tank FPs, randoms are useless; BW really needs to introduce Veteran level FPs that require a tank and healer so that people can get the experience or reconfigure some of the easier Uprisings for this - some of these would be perfect for it.

BW really needs to introduce Veteran level FPs that require a tank and healer so that people can get the experience or reconfigure some of the easier Uprisings for this - some of these would be perfect for it.

They already exist, but they named them Master Mode instead of Veteran Mode because they wanted to add Solo Mode into the mix as Story Mode.