Optimizing Healer stats/gear post-2.0

AlixMV

Hey everyone. I've glance back through the last couple of pages of the forum and don't see anything jumping out at me, so I figured I'd ask.

What I'm looking for is a resource from one of the awesome theorycrafters here in the forums about optimizing your stats and gear for healers in a 2.0 world. Something along the lines of KeyboardNinja's Ideal Tank Stat Distribution in 2.0 or Nibbon's Sage DPS Guide.

Things I'm wondering about:

- How much crit % do we need now? I think the DPS Guide mentions the fact the Crit curve is a mess, so is the 30-35% range still the sweet spot? Based on the DPS Guide, I'm thinking it's not as important now and should focus on other stats.

- How much Alacrity is enough? How do I tell what my Alacrity rating is and how to dial it in?

- How should it be balanced with Surge?

I mainly play a Sage when I do Heals, so if it's got a leaning towards that class, great, but given my experience playing a Sawbones, I can't imagine the stats are going to be too different for Scoundrel/Operative healers.

Any advice is welcome, TIA!

DPS and healing pretty much share stats so as the DPS thread points out get 0 crit rating. For tertiary it has always been Ala vs. Surge, only info I found from mmo mechanics is that Sages should aim for 60% Ala and 40% Surge as that gives best average HPCT on Healing Trance.

Noim: "Innervate shines the most at 3111 Willpower, 1352 Power, 0 Crit Rating, 632 Alacrity and 158 Surge. In this setup, one reaches 1118.7 Bonus healing and 24.2% Critical Chances, for an average HPCT at 3056. The same goes for DI with an average HPCT at 3032."

I don't have a sage healer, so I admit I'm not an expert. But I don't see how a healer would need to have much (any) accuracy. The DPS build linked above makes accuracy of the highest importance. Which is to say, I don't think they are really the same...

I don't have a sage healer, so I admit I'm not an expert. But I don't see how a healer would need to have much (any) accuracy. The DPS build linked above makes accuracy of the highest importance. Which is to say, I don't think they are really the same...

Well you are the first person here to mention accuracy and no it is not needed.

Edited by Darth_Dreselus

DPS and healing pretty much share stats so as the DPS thread points out get 0 crit rating. For tertiary it has always been Ala vs. Surge, only info I found from mmo mechanics is that Sages should aim for 60% Ala and 40% Surge as that gives best average HPCT on Healing Trance.

Noim: "Innervate shines the most at 3111 Willpower, 1352 Power, 0 Crit Rating, 632 Alacrity and 158 Surge. In this setup, one reaches 1118.7 Bonus healing and 24.2% Critical Chances, for an average HPCT at 3056. The same goes for DI with an average HPCT at 3032."

I had exactly the same intuition as you, but everyone else is telling me otherwise that not stacking crit at all would be the biggest mistake of my life or something along those lines

I had exactly the same intuition as you, but everyone else is telling me otherwise that not stacking crit at all would be the biggest mistake of my life or something along those lines

Let them, best you can do is find as much info as possible and make your own conclusion. If others cannot be convinced ignore them.

DPS and healing pretty much share stats so as the DPS thread points out get 0 crit rating.

Well you are the first person here to mention accuracy and no it is not needed.

Apologies if I mistook what you were saying. I just thought you were pointing folks to the DPS thread and saying just use those stats. I was simply pointing out to anybody who thought that might be the case that you would not want to follow it directly, since it strongly recommends a lot of accuracy.

As far as not taking any crit goes, I understand that might make sense. Personally, I am not going that route with my Commando healer though. I have a lot of crit boosts in my skill tree and find that crit is more useful to me than straight power, even if it means slightly less HPS overall.

Nah man I meant that sentence in relation to crit only as in the effect it has on DPS is comparable to the effect it has on heals.

On Mandos I kinda agree, it is disputable because their non crit heals just do so little, haven't seen any proper theorycrating on it though.

Edited by Darth_Dreselus

Don't know about Mandos but the reason why for Sages power is so important is because we have pretty high coefficients on our hard hitting heals (Deliverance has a whopping 3.41!) and thus (intuitively, I don't have hard math) points to increase crit will not increase total expected heals more than the same amount of points put to increase bonus heals.

From a sorc healer perspective, I don't put much into crit, but I read somewhere you should have 10% crit/power ratio (1300 Power/130 crit for example). Atm I have 161 crit rating, which gives me 26% crit. I have Alacrity at 6.54% activation speed, and 69% crit multiplier. (I do have a few 63's stuff on, so that crit multiplier will go up higher). 6% alac speed gives DI a 2.3 sec cast, and 8.5 regen (higher alac doesn't affect regen as much for sorcs from what I can see). Due to the pathetic amount of Crit bonus from Willpower, I'd suggest actually Augmenting for Power instead to increase your bonus healing. I did a test and removed 2 pieces of gear (no crit rating on them), lost 294 Willpower and my crit only dropped .7%, so based on that, stacking willpower Augs really seemed like a waste for me anyway, + you get more bonus healing from power anyway.

hmmm i took this off a guide in the sage section

Augments

I'm going to keep this simple and short. Power or Willpower are the two main choices (I did take a look to see if accuracy was helpful, they aren't better, yet at least). So between power and willpower, willpower is still the better augment, for now. The only reason it is, is due to speccing into will of the jedi, which provides an extra 6% - and the buff on willpower, an additional 5% (total of 11%). After factoring that in you are getting .222 damage per every point of augmented willpower vs .23 damage for every point of power. Also, from willpower, you get a slight crit chance. At max arkanian, you are around 2575 willpower - with augments you go up to 3071 - this is an increase in crit chance of 1.05%. That little extra crit chance puts makes up for the small +damage difference and makes willpower better.

The total DPS difference between full power and full willpower augments is only about 5 total dps.

Of course for bonus healing is 0.14 (from WP) vs 0.17 (from Power) so his argument changes from 0.1554 vs 0.17. For healers, anyone has any opinions on this?

I want to elaborate a bit : my statement (Noim here) quoted by Dreselus is valid, but needs some explanation. First, these numbers are based on a complete 72 gear set, short of the Relics. I consider relics are as much related to playstyle than to maths and as such, I discard them. I don't mean they are secondary, just that what will suit me best (proc or click) could not suit everyone else. A second point : I might be a bit off as I worked on the premises that the main stat (WP) kept progressing at the same pace at lvl 51+ than before, hence a base WP counted at 270 or so. It might actually be more than that, but I forget to check ingame, I blame the goldfish inside my head.

Anyway, as I said, the distribution of secondary and tertiary stats is still valid for Innervate and Dark infusion, however, there is one more little tiny criteria to take into account : for the time being, our PvE set boni are dispatched over two Tiers of gear.

The consequence of this "oversight" from Bioware is that 61/63 set boni and 69/72 set boni don't stack. They don't stack but they do add up. De facto, we're looking at an Innervate with 6s cd instead of 7,5, provided we keep 2 Dreadguard Armorings. 6s being also the cd of Resurgence, all of a sudden, we're able to cast a Force-Bent Innervate on cd. In other words, half our time healing is spent using Resurgence+Innervate. And as such, it is around that combo that one should build its setup.

According to my calcs, it changes nothing to the distribution of Power and Critical Rating, full Power is the way to go. However, Force-Bent Innervate will reach a bit more than 49% Crit chance, so it's logical that Surge takes a bit more importance in this occurence. As Dresulus said earlier, aim for 4/10 Surge pieces and 6/10 Alacrity pieces.

NB : Using 72 PvE Power-proccing relic and the PvP Conqueror Power-proccing relic, highest HPCT when both procced is reached with 82 Critical Rating, basically the 2 cristals.

NB2 : Still in the HPCT perspective, all my calcs deliver the same result : Willpower Augments > Power Augments.

• 3 weeks later...
Can you break it down in simpler format?

No crit, all power, 4 surge enhancements, 6 alacrity enhancements (Underworld Implant and Earpiece count as an enhancement), WP augments, non lettered mods/enhacements, 2x 63 armourings, rest 72 armourings, Power Proc and Power click relics (double proc is getting fixed) can also take Vanilla EWH power relic, will be losing out 18.3 power on average but no need to activate.

Simple enough?

No crit, all power, 4 surge enhancements, 6 alacrity enhancements (Underworld Implant and Earpiece count as an enhancement), WP augments, non lettered mods/enhacements, 2x 63 armourings, rest 72 armourings, Power Proc and Power click relics (double proc is getting fixed) can also take Vanilla EWH power relic, will be losing out 18.3 power on average but no need to activate.

Simple enough?

Ditto for my SORC HEALS as Dreselus has stated. Seeing better (E)HPS after dropping all CRIT myself. Ratings: 0 Crit, ~230 Surge, ~525 Alacrity, ~1200 Power, ~3k Willpower. Percentages: ~25% Crit, ~68% Surge, ~8% Alacrity. Note: With increased Alacrity / extra Innervate use getting enough Force surge Stacked for instant AOE heals or debuff free consumption hasn't been an issue.

Use two Set Bonus pieces from 63 (Dread) and two set Bonus pieces from 69/72. (Innervate cooldown drops to 6 sec vs. 7.5 sec) Use 72 Armor in remaining gear not filled by 4 set bonus set(s).

All 14 Willpower Augments, All Aptitude 30/31 Mods (no A), Juggle Quick Savant 30/31 and Adept 30/31 with Ear/Implants to provide ~8% Alacrity (~525 Rating+Skill Tree Buff).

After double Serendipitous Proc relics are fixed I plan on using the EWH plus the best Serendipitous. Started with PVP Partisian (550 wz) --> then Conq. from PVP --> ARK from TFB SM --> UW from TFB HM.

Don't forget to use Alacrity in skill tree and overload (2 pts) for free force heals.

Edited by dscount

Tbh I subbed out all my power gear for crit. Now I have a full set of 162 rated gear with about 4 pieces with power or crit augments and am finding healing easy Enuff. I crit on average about 3 out of 4 ticks of healing trance. Frequently drop 7 or 8k deliverances. Salvation ticks at around 850 and 1400 on crit. I am finding crit to be far more effective than when I had all power gear. Healed our tank through numerous enraged bosses in HM FP and 55 Ops when the rest of the raid had perished minutes ago healed a dps shadow through Gargath fight the other day... Crit seems ok to me for now... Edited by Adriaticon

On my sorc and sage with no crit, my non-crit salvation ticks are a little under 1100, I have force potency when I absolutely require crits on deliverance which boosts them to 9.5k or so, and with force bending, my trances generate 2-3 crits per channel (though can occasionally go the whole thing with none). I have no real issues generating resplendence stacks, and I think the number differences you see (and I'm not even full 69 yet) point to crit perhaps being a little more flexible, but a little less than optimal.

All that matters is that you finish the content, of course, but it's something to keep in mind. :)

Tbh I subbed out all my power gear for crit. Now I have a full set of 162 rated gear with about 4 pieces with power or crit augments and am finding healing easy Enuff. I crit on average about 3 out of 4 ticks of healing trance. Frequently drop 7 or 8k deliverances. Salvation ticks at around 850 and 1400 on crit. I am finding crit to be far more effective than when I had all power gear. Healed our tank through numerous enraged bosses in HM FP and 55 Ops when the rest of the raid had perished minutes ago healed a dps shadow through Gargath fight the other day... Crit seems ok to me for now...

I'm no theorycrafter but I agree that no crit is a mistake. Let's remember that aside from the "saving grace" criticals that crits on HT also proc benefits to our force regen, i.e. either elimination of reduced force regen or through insta-cast salv's that can be stood in while simultaneously noble-sacrificing. I currently roll with 400 crit rating which gives me a bit over 33% with buffs and biochem stim. Healing bonus is about 1019.

Please, someone smarter than me tell me I'm wrong here because I don't see where 0 crit for a healer is a good thing.

P.S. How on Earth are you ticking non-crit salv's for 850 and 1400 crit.. while your deliverance crits for only 7 or 8k? Can you check those #'s? Does not compute.

On my sorc and sage with no crit, my non-crit salvation ticks are a little under 1100, I have force potency when I absolutely require crits on deliverance which boosts them to 9.5k or so, and with force bending, my trances generate 2-3 crits per channel (though can occasionally go the whole thing with none). I have no real issues generating resplendence stacks, and I think the number differences you see (and I'm not even full 69 yet) point to crit perhaps being a little more flexible, but a little less than optimal.

All that matters is that you finish the content, of course, but it's something to keep in mind. :)

Again, 1100 non-crit salv ticks and 9.5k deliverances? How the heck are you hitting 1100? I must be missing something. 9.5k I can see. 1100 I cannot.

While it is possible to heal all current content with crit rating, the OP has asked specifically for Theorycrafting advice and "how much crit do we need". The answer for both of those is 0 crit rating to maximise HPCT output. As the question was being asked predominantly for Sages the answer relates first of all to Sages.

This does not mean that taking crit will suddenly make you too weak to heal all the content as you can do that in 63s. If you like your crit take it, in short fights it will actually likely result in better HPS. However, everyone in the min/max crowd should forego all their crit rating.

Another rationale for crit is if you are running 16m and do hardly any ST healing as Salvation benefits from crit/surge rating more. All the min/max calculations are done with HT/Del in mind as those are the main heals.

1000+ hits of non critted Salvation ticks are imo possible with pwr proc+click and Kolto residue, especially on yourself with Pain Bearer talent.

Edited by Darth_Dreselus

Again, 1100 non-crit salv ticks and 9.5k deliverances? How the heck are you hitting 1100? I must be missing something. 9.5k I can see. 1100 I cannot.

Misremembered - just a bit over 1000 per non-crit tick of salvation for people with no health received boost, 9200ish deliverance crits. Clicky power relic pushes it up to 9.5-9.6. 2700ish WP (still have old augments), 1150ish power, ~2k force power. 0 crit rating gives me 23.38% chance, and I've not had much trouble with that. :)

Misremembered - just a bit over 1000 per non-crit tick of salvation for people with no health received boost, 9200ish deliverance crits. Clicky power relic pushes it up to 9.5-9.6. 2700ish WP (still have old augments), 1150ish power, ~2k force power. 0 crit rating gives me 23.38% chance, and I've not had much trouble with that. :)

No Earthly way. Sorry. Unless there is something completely flying over my head. I'm at 1111 power, 1875 force power, 3102 WP = 1045 bonus healing and my Salv non-crits are just over 600. Del crits are about 9.3k.