Healing with this UI is not fun

Aesthym

I'm a level 31 Operative and have done about ten flashpoint runs. My healing involves keeping up as many HoTs as possible to trigger procs that I can use for a free heal. My HoT stacks two times and lasts 18 seconds. Without buff filtering or a duration shown on the buff itself, I'm forced to click through the party like a crazy person to keep track of these HoTs. Because I have to completely fixate on the health frames, I have no idea what's going on around me.

The flashpoints are really well designed and it would be nice if I could have a chance to actually enjoy looking at them. I'm not saying healing is broken. It's perfectly doable without a buff timer. It's just not alot of fun.

Meh, no one gets to see the scenery when you're in a fight. It's a scramble to click your abilities as soon as they're up as a DPS and constant watching of your health bar and mobs as a tank. Try to look around as you run to the next mob patch.

Meh, no one gets to see the scenery when you're in a fight. It's a scramble to click your abilities as soon as they're up as a DPS and constant watching of your health bar and mobs as a tank. Try to look around as you run to the next mob patch.

I wasn't referring to the scenery per se. It's just that I hardly get a glance at the action either; my situational awareness suffers because my UI isn't giving me the right information. As a result, I don't feel like a part of the flashpoint at all, I'm just following healthbars around. The game does an excellent job immersing you in it's world otherwise, this small UI improvement would help extend that immersion to flashpoints.

Edited by Arzhanin
Quoted removed content

in all honesty playing my operative the only gripe I've had so far with the raid frames UI is in warzones and that it doesn't always show the accurate health for the players on my team (someone is down to 30% health it shows as full health on the raid ui bars)

As for tracking hot's from our probes, can't say I have a problem with the UI so far I ussually keep the tank topped off with throwing heals around here and there on the dps. I don't see the need for pre emptively healing everyone, It's very much Triage healing so using the correct ability in the correct situation.

in all honesty playing my operative the only gripe I've had so far with the raid frames UI is in warzones and that it doesn't always show the accurate health for the players on my team (someone is down to 30% health it shows as full health on the raid ui bars)

As for tracking hot's from our probes, can't say I have a problem with the UI so far I ussually keep the tank topped off with throwing heals around here and there on the dps. I don't see the need for pre emptively healing everyone, It's very much Triage healing so using the correct ability in the correct situation.

Once you get our HoT (especially with the UH proc talent), Sawbones is no longer much of a reactive healer, so triage is not all that applicable anymore.

Generally a 2 stack of SRM is enough to counter any damage a dpser will take so keeping 2 stacks on everyone, then using filler time with UM/EM on the tank means you'll have no real triage situations since everyone will be slowly healing at all times. This is actually the highest group output for our spec and is easily maintainable without any energy cooldowns. If there is a burst situation, let the stacks on yourself drop because you can always pop a medkit if needed in the mean time until you can re-stack yourself. Keeping the other 3 people stacked and focusing more on burst on the tank is priority.

----

@ OP

I agree. As fun as this role is with this class, the UI really puts a damper on the fun factor. Gimme mouse over healing (baked in or via macros) and Operation frames that actually update properly, target of target and I'm a happy camper.

Edited by Maxvla

I'm a level 31 Operative and have done about ten flashpoint runs. My healing involves keeping up as many HoTs as possible to trigger procs that I can use for a free heal. My HoT stacks two times and lasts 18 seconds. Without buff filtering or a duration shown on the buff itself, I'm forced to click through the party like a crazy person to keep track of these HoTs. Because I have to completely fixate on the health frames, I have no idea what's going on around me.

The flashpoints are really well designed and it would be nice if I could have a chance to actually enjoy looking at them. I'm not saying healing is broken. It's perfectly doable without a buff timer. It's just not alot of fun.

Just did a flashpoint last night with a boss who does a nasty DoT effect. Fortunately we were on vent so we had the advantage of being able to call who had the dot for our sage healer, but the UI certainly did nothing to assist her in any way, shape or form.

The UI is much too basic to be able to give healers the proper information. Being able to track hots, shields and debuffs consistently would go a long way to improving the quality of life for healy types. I've seen people with various requests, but the general consensus is "fix, please."

I seem to be able to manage fine myself honestly, I believe the UI bug where operation frames wouldn't display health properly is now fully gone no? At least, I hadn't noticed. That did ruin it for me completely back during the beta.

A bit of user-interface customization would be nice, but the current setup is pretty close to how I've always used it for years anyway.

The buff/debuff display should be much better though, this is quite impractical.

Edited by Haasth

I seem to be able to manage fine myself honestly, I believe the UI bug where operation frames wouldn't display health properly is now fully gone no? At least, I hadn't noticed. That did ruin it for me completely back during the beta.

A bit of user-interface customization would be nice, but the current setup is pretty close to how I've always used it for years anyway.

The buff/debuff display should be much better though, this is quite impractical.

Nope, this bug still exists solely in PvP warzones, most of the time it's OK in voidstar and alderaan but in Huttball there are still people completely missing from the operation frames as well as everyone showing as full HP.

The UI sucks for healing, yes. Setting it to operation in case you dont need to heal companions help a little.

Maybe when mods start being made this wont be such a problem, buts right now its very unconfortable, one of the worst UI for healers ever, especially group one where you bar ends up being far from the rest of the group ones.

The fact that doesn't have the option to clearly display hots, buff, shields, dots and debuffs its unforgibable.

Edited by GengisKahn

I actually enjoy healing a lot in this game.

How ever the UI does irritate me a lot.

Few issues i have

- I can't see debuffs that well with the raid UI let alone read them

- The UI is freaking huge the bars and art take a lot of space

- Information isn't given proper and organized enough (like health and force)

- Can't use mouse over healing (why isn't it supported bu the game)

- I prefer a small clear grid not this huge raid UI that still doesn't manage to display information proper.

- No good way to track hots

- No good way to track dots

- No idea how much my shields absorb

The list goes on, healing is great but this UI makes it a pain.

I actually enjoy healing a lot in this game.

How ever the UI does irritate me a lot.

Few issues i have

- I can't see debuffs that well with the raid UI let alone read them

- The UI is freaking huge the bars and art take a lot of space

- Information isn't given proper and organized enough (like health and force)

- Can't use mouse over healing (why isn't it supported bu the game)

- I prefer a small clear grid not this huge raid UI that still doesn't manage to display information proper.

- No good way to track hots

- No good way to track dots

- No idea how much my shields absorb

The list goes on, healing is great but this UI makes it a pain.

the underlined things you can tinker with through the width/length from the preferances.

the bolded things are my biggest gripe atm as a healer, the way that buffs/debuffs and mainly hots DON'T display even the last few seconds, or the fact that the icons are so small and you have no way to make them bigger is really frustrating when you try to keep hots up to 2+ people.

Edited by Shroudveil

Have to give them credit for allowing some basic customization, in that you can replace the party frames with raid frames, move them around the screen, and edit the size of the health bar. As a start, at release, it's not bad at all.

How they failed to include an option to scale up buff (and more importantly, debuff) icons with that is beyond me.

Yes.. this is by far the worst issue if you do warzones! especially if you q as solo and everyone is wondering why you are letting them die. You just have to be next to people and how that you notice their health bars because the raid frames surely aren't accurate! :(

The UI is definitely my biggest enemy as a healer right now. Completely ignoring the Warzone UI bug (which for now has put me off them altogether), there's a lot of management involved with the Scoundrel that the UI just does not help with at all:

- Upper Hand is a class mechanic that is central to my ability to heal and it has no distinct place in the UI. It just pops up as a standard buff on the tiny buff bar alongside however many buffs I happen to have at the time. I really would like the UI to help me track this buff better. I'd also like it to last maybe 5-10 seconds longer, but that is a different issue.

- Tracking HoTs on allies sucks. I can't even see my HoT in the Ops frames since that space is usually occupied by longer-lasting buffs that don't fall off. Again, there's a distinct lack of UI feedback that leads to a lot of micromanagement that is quite unnecessary (and not something that should drive the healing gameplay).

- Debuffs on allies are only slightly less obtuse than HoTs. They show up in the Ops frames, but they are so tiny that they are unrecognizable without clicking on the player and inspecting the targeting frame anyway. Furthermore, the icons for debuffs don't seem to have any consistency in regards to what type of debuff they are; you are basically forced to simply hit your dispel as a healer and hope that it was some form of debuff that you can actually dispel in the first place.

These things are currently adding up to a lot of annoyance for a healer. I spend as much time fighting the UI as I do actually engaging in gameplay. I don't necessarily need the UI to be my ally and actually do work in my place, but I do need it to not be my enemy. Currently it is an obstacle in ways it should not be.

• 4 weeks later...

I just started healing on My Sith Sorc and BH Merc, and I have to say I agree with all the atop comments.

Healing really is fun in SWTOR and I'm glad for the game mechanics involved, but it is a very big shame the UI is not more customizable.

So this post is a big Shout for Help to Bioware to get that UI patched and LET US SEE DEBUFFS CLEARLY please

otherwise, love healing in SWTOR. it's well designed imo

Just did a flashpoint last night with a boss who does a nasty DoT effect. Fortunately we were on vent so we had the advantage of being able to call who had the dot for our sage healer, but the UI certainly did nothing to assist her in any way, shape or form.

The UI is much too basic to be able to give healers the proper information. Being able to track hots, shields and debuffs consistently would go a long way to improving the quality of life for healy types. I've seen people with various requests, but the general consensus is "fix, please."

I wanted to second this. Seeing dispelable (spelling) debuffs would be huge. As it is right now I can't see the debuffs in my raid frames, so it's quite difficult to see who has a DoT on them unless it's hitting their health.

I'd love to see this worked on.

+1

Already posted another thread on the issue but agree with almost everything here.

Mouseover isn't really neaded. It would be nice to have, but not a must.

That said, Buff/Debuff visibility in Ops frames is beyond horrid. You should be able to see YOUR buffs/hots, (not everyone) and Debuffs should be clearly indicated. Either larger icons, or some sort of flashing border, or even flashing icon. It needs to grab your attention. Currently you need to sit with your face 2" from the screen to see what's going on if you have to watch for a cure in a fight. (Yes, there are PVE fights where cureing is REQUIRED, not optional)

Also would like to add in another +1 for Target of Target healing/damage. I can't believe this wasn't included by default in this game.

/signed