Community Team General Update: May 31st, 2012

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an interesting question for you guys.

We get asked a lot "What do you (the players) want? What features, Ops, etc do would you like to see in the future of this game?"

Well, what does the Community Team of SW:TOR want? What does the future community look like to you guys? Are there any new features you would like to see in-game or on the forums that would help out immensely with your jobs?

Will the community changes affect your events that are being planned? Since fans would need to buy tickets ahead of time, it would be nice to get a quick update if there were any changes.

Specifically, it was implied by David Bass and Stephen Reid that they were going to try to make the SW:TOR event at Star Wars: Celebration VI the 'big' event for the trade show season. Is this still the goal of the community team? Is it still an official SWTOR event?

Thanks for your update.

Edited by QuickBunnie

• Dev Post
Hello

Just popping in to say not everyone in the community is full of bile. There are those who not only love SWTOR but still have faith in Bioware and the future of the game.

Thank you for the introductions and I look forward to seeing how this will aid in future development.

Cheers

Thanks for the positive post. Our community has a ton of awesome, passionate members who are here discussing the game, posting guides, and sharing information and experiences. We also have players who have concerns, and we DO want to see those concerns expressed (so long as they're posted civilly and constructively). Constructive, specific feedback is essential in helping us pass information to the developers.

Hey there, thanks for the post! Appreciate all the good news. One quick question if you don't mind. At the end of your post you said:

"We’re excited about these new changes, and we hope that you are as well. We are committed to working with the community and we will continue to do so through Game Update 1.3, Character Transfers, and beyond."\

Does this imply that Character Transfers and Game Update 1.3 are on different deployment cycles? Meaning one will come before the other? Hopefully that Character Transfers come first to build the community than deploy the group finder and Allies update with ranked wz's. This would make alot of sense to find where you want to stay before the update. Thanks!

Edited by ClutchJedi

We get asked a lot "What do you (the players) want? What features, Ops, etc do would you like to see in the future of this game?"

Well, what does the Community Team of SW:TOR want? What does the future community look like to you guys? Are there any new features you would like to see in-game or on the forums that would help out immensely with your jobs?

That's a very good question and the truth is that we're aiming for a future in which we have a closer collaboration between you folks, us (the community team), and the development team. I believe that with the new specialty initiative (the one I mention in the blog post), we'll be getting closer to that. Once the infrastructure is set up, the goal is to be more agile in responding to questions and concerns (from the community team POV). As for the game? Well, we're players too so we all have different opinions on this. I love exploring in our game, so I'd personally love to see new planets down the line.

I second this. I can't imagine that you guys come into here equipped with anything less than a hazmat suit.

Are there any technical roadblocks that are impeding your communication with the players, like only a small percentage of us actually providing feedback on the forums? Are the forums the best way to communicate our feedback, or are other methods better for dissemination?

Joveth my issue is why do we have so much money and time and spent on PR and so little time spent on actual development? This is what happened to battlefield 3 and it tanked. We dont need to hear over and over and over "COMING SOON" We have 6 months now of "Coming soon" and we have a team dedicated to this and that but we the customer dont see anything being done.

If bioware/ea spent the amount of time and money they do on PR saying "coming soon" and we have a team for this we would have space pvp and open world fixed i believe.

What id like to you to know is all the PR in the world is meaningless without action. Now im sure you will tell me oh we have a team doing this and "coming soon" well let me ask you this. Lets say i open the newspaper and theres a full page ad saying chevy is having a corvette sale. So i go down there to look at the corvettes and the dealership tells me oh we dont have any corvettes theres a dedicated team making them in kentucky and there "coming soon" So they advertised having this corvette i drive down there and they tell me that. Know you as a chevy customer what would you think about that?

This is how i feel and this is why im going to play another mmo that i cant even say on here due to carebears b/c you guys spend billions on PR for stuff you dont have all the time and i getting tired of it.

Less PR

MORE development into the game<------------

How about less hyperbole, more rational chat mate?

Joveth my issue is why do we have so much money and time and spent on PR and so little time spent on actual development?

Unless you work for EA and Bioware and know how the funding is allocated, your entire post is baseless.

Does Chris Collins not play SWTOR or why does the article tells us what everyone is playing except for him?

Oh he does, but at the time of writing, I think he had left the office (they're in Ireland). I'll be sure to ask him when he gets back in and update accordingly. :)

Great... but we dont care who you are and what your roles in bioware are.

If you have no information regarding the future of this game, the patch notes, a short list of "things that are going live within next 30 days" or "things that will be going live within next 60 days", the entire introduction is exactly as this post - worthless.

Talk for yourself! I am very interested in what they have to say! ;)

• Dev Post
Are the forums the best way to communicate our feedback, or are other methods better for dissemination?

The forums are a great way to provide feedback (cue me as a broken record: as long as it is constructive and specific). Many of us on the team are always monitoring the forums and reading threads in all the subforums. Additionally, the Community Representatives send us their own reports that detail feedback and important issues. Unfortunately, sometimes we can't always respond to an issue immediately, especially if we have incomplete information or need further investigation, but we are always reading and passing feedback along (and, of course, always working to bring the community answers and details when we're able to share them).

Edited by AllisonBerryman

A question I do have is:- Once the population consolidation issue has been resolved and the game has settled down to <insert number here> amount of Servers, will each of those servers finally get its OWN forum so that the players can actually start making a community?

Is there any plans to have feedback on the 'Feedback request from James Ohlen' such as what was taken from the feedback players have provided.

Remember views on planets, ingame events and PvP. But don't recall anyone saying what was being done because of it. Such as By Popular demand your Next planet will be Yavin 4 and Bespin or whatever the results lead to.

• Dev Post
Everyone - we're happy to answer questions you have about the community team, our plans for communication, the forums, and topics related to this blog, but please understand that we can't necessarily field any question about the game right now in this thread. Like Joveth posted earlier, we do know that character transfer is very important to you all, but we don't have new information at the moment. If you do have questions about the game, I'd recommend posting them in our upcoming Q&A blog thread.

Thanks for the update!

I really really like the idea of community managers being assigned to particular sub-topics, and tied in with a particular developer - seems like a great way to streamline the process and allow for specific questions to get specific answers in a much more efficient manner.

One suggestion I have (not sure how possible this would be) is to have a rotating series of features on the different areas of the game (PVP, Ops, Guilds, community, RP etc.). Say there are 7 or 8 categories that you guys come up with, then each week a different "focus" would be featured. Ideally this would be in a presentation format similar to the Guild Summit (but only one of the presentations) with a live-streamed ~10 min presentation by a dev focused on that game area on what has been going on with that particular area of the game over the last 2 months, where they are taking it, and give more particulars on what they're doing to grow that area of the game. Followed by ~10 min Q&A with live-submitted questions, that'd be awesome :rak_03:

Of course, I know that's a lot of work, but it really should only take each team a few hours once every two months to make a quick PPT and explain what's going on to the community. Even if some of the features (live-stream, Q&A, etc.) are impractical, it'd be awesome if there could be a rotating featured blog post with Q&A or something like that. Just another way to let us know what is going on in the different areas of the game, hopefully without putting too much strain on the devs, who should be primarily focused on developing!

• Dev Post
A question I do have is:- Once the population consolidation issue has been resolved and the game has settled down to <insert number here> amount of Servers, will each of those servers finally get its OWN forum so that the players can actually start making a community?

Specific server forums is something we will very likely revisit in the future. No promises, but we definitely hear feedback regarding them.