What bothers you in the EU?

XenusParadox

I've found that at least half of the EU material I've read/played/heard about has made me roll my eyes and say "Oh, for the love of..."

What really pushes your buttons? Here's MY short list.

Dark Empire: So the triumphant moment of the entire film saga, namely Palpatine's death, was entirely meaningless because he just downloaded like a Cylon into a clone body, and Luke willingly went to the Dark Side to get close to him, and shrugged it off like the Dark Side ISN'T a corrupting, addictive influence? :rolleyes:

New Jedi Order: A race of extra-galactic invaders, who use biotech and are IMMUNE TO THE FORCE? And can use said biotech to create superstrong gravity fields that pull a moon down onto a planet without cracking the planet apart like an egg or flattening everyone on it into pancakes? :rolleyes:

Heir to the Empire Trilogy: Actually pretty good for the most part, but the bit about furry lizards that create a bubble where the Force doesn't EXIST? You know what happens when the Force is removed from an area? EVERYTHING DIES, because the Force IS life. :rolleyes:

Boba Fett: He fell into the Sarlacc and died. End of story. He didn't escape. HE'S DEAD.

Kevin J. Anderson: Just... Kevin J. Anderson. He's a hack. A hack who writes bad fanfiction that my 4-year-old niece would laugh at.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh..........hmm, tbh nothing really bothers me. I have a hard time, hating anything really....though I suppose Boba surviving is a thing that does bother me. I mean at first, I was ok with it because I thought

"Well...alright, Boba had an extreme amount of luck there it won't happen again."

Then he fell in 2 more times, and got out 2 more times. To make matters worse, he somehow was still alive with reoccurring tumors, a poor liver, and tissue degeneration and that was all cured with a needle. After that I was like "no...he should have just stayed dead."

So thats pretty much the only thing that bothers me.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Ahhh..........hmm, tbh nothing really bothers me. I have a hard time, hating anything really....though I suppose Boba surviving is a thing that does bother me. I mean at first, I was ok with it because I thought

"Well...alright, Boba had an extreme amount of luck there it won't happen again."

Then he fell in 2 more times, and got out 2 more times. To make matters worse, he somehow was still alive with reoccurring tumors, a poor liver, and tissue degeneration and that was all cured with a needle. After that I was like "no...he should have just stayed dead."

So thats pretty much the only thing that bothers me.

When did he fall in two more times? Not doubting it happened, just wondering when.

Edited by Mirdthestrill

I've found that at least half of the EU material I've read/played/heard about has made me roll my eyes and say "Oh, for the love of..."

Dark Empire: So the triumphant moment of the entire film saga, namely Palpatine's death, was entirely meaningless because he just downloaded like a Cylon into a clone body, and Luke willingly went to the Dark Side to get close to him, and shrugged it off like the Dark Side ISN'T a corrupting, addictive influence? :rolleyes:

New Jedi Order: A race of extra-galactic invaders, who use biotech and are IMMUNE TO THE FORCE? And can use said biotech to create superstrong gravity fields that pull a moon down onto a planet without cracking the planet apart like an egg or flattening everyone on it into pancakes? :rolleyes:

Heir to the Empire Trilogy: Actually pretty good for the most part, but the bit about furry lizards that create a bubble where the Force doesn't EXIST? You know what happens when the Force is removed from an area? EVERYTHING DIES, because the Force IS life. :rolleyes:

Boba Fett: He fell into the Sarlacc and died. End of story. He didn't escape. HE'S DEAD.

Kevin J. Anderson: Just... Kevin J. Anderson. He's a hack. A hack who writes bad fanfiction that my 4-year-old niece would laugh at.

I once questioned why George Lucas said he did not want to make anymore StarWars after he did PT movies , If I remember correct he even said after he made EP1 that he was getting horrible bad feedback and wished not to continue ("might be wrong but I remember getting upset after that comment because I wanted to see where he was going with Anakin") .

Seems StarWars fans feel a sense of ownership to StarWars and do not like even when the creator and owner of the series and Name messes with their Beloved StarWars , maybe if the extreme memebers of the fan base would back off the rest of us could enjoy more movies ....................................but that would be asking for too much .

Attack Authors is kinda sad in general , kinda like attacking a person who works at a store for the prices . Authors do not own the name StarWars and have guidlines to follow. It is said that Lucas's guidlines are worse than the EPA with food regulations .

And for stuff that bothers me: All the "little kid" Star Wars books. Does it have to be technically canon? Examples:

The three-eyed guy pretending to be Palpatine's son

The three-eyed son of Palpatine working on the side of the Rebels

The robotic clone of Leia that gets married to the fake three-eyed guy

The rhyming plant guy

Leia using laser bulldozers to save Han from a rock fall

Mice with three hearts

Hutts with beards

More people falling in the Sarlacc

Bounty Hunters pretending to be Bith magicians.

And for stuff that bothers me: All the "little kid" Star Wars books. Does it have to be technically canon? Examples:

The three-eyed guy pretending to be Palpatine's son

The three-eyed son of Palpatine working on the side of the Rebels

The robotic clone of Leia that gets married to the fake three-eyed guy

The rhyming plant guy

Leia using laser bulldozers to save Han from a rock fall

Mice with three hearts

Hutts with beards

More people falling in the Sarlacc

Bounty Hunters pretending to be Bith magicians.

At least the young reader books have an excuse for being juvenile... :D

what exactly is the EU?

Arnel Crynd. :cool:

That's Arvel to you...

...wait, does 'no one' (Arvel, Crix, and Anakin aside) mean Chewbacca's not dead anymore?!?

HTTE doesn't bother me; I look at the ysalamiri now as somehow emitting some kinda localized interference field that affects midichlorians. Those in their own cells are able to function and keep 'em alive, but it prevents midis from different beings from sensing/communicating with each other, thus 'canceling' the Force.

Boba surviving one Sarlacc-dip is fine... when/where are the other two? You'd think he'd just avoid Tatooine. Tho I suppose if word got around that Fett won't go to Tatooine, every bounty fleeing him would just hide out there.

Dark Empire bothers me for many reasons: Leia becomes a fully-trained Jedi Knight in it, when she hadn't had all that much training in the story immediately before DE, ie the Thrawn Trilogy... and then, of course, she loses her Knighthood in the Jedi Academy trilogy. Loses as in 'never had it' like it was wiped from the minds of everyone involved. Plus Palpatine acting like a Cylon skinjob (nice analogy), and Luke thinking he could destroy the dark side from within, and former Jedi Kam Solusar showing up outta nowhere (I know, I know, his story was meant to happen but was canceled), and the Jedi Weeble, whatshisname-Brand, being the one who finally ends Palpatine, and Luke finding a stash of dozens/hundreds of lightsabers under an old Jedi tree, and the leader of the 'Dark Side Warriors' looking like a refugee from a Mad Max film, and the fact that the Republic was downgraded to the Rebellion again so soon after they defeated Thrawn, and...well, all of it. Except most of the art. I enjoyed Kennedy's take on a lot of it.

Most of Kevin J Anderson's stuff except the idea of Luke's academy being on Yavin IV.

Children of the Jedi, though Jawas and Gamorreans acting like stormtroopers is amusing.

The Crystal Star. All of it, except the idea of lightsabers activated by use of the Force.

That's Arvel to you...

...wait, does 'no one' (Arvel, Crix, and Anakin aside) mean Chewbacca's not dead anymore?!?

HTTE doesn't bother me; I look at the ysalamiri now as somehow emitting some kinda localized interference field that affects midichlorians. Those in their own cells are able to function and keep 'em alive, but it prevents midis from different beings from sensing/communicating with each other, thus 'canceling' the Force.

Boba surviving one Sarlacc-dip is fine... when/where are the other two? You'd think he'd just avoid Tatooine. Tho I suppose if word got around that Fett won't go to Tatooine, every bounty fleeing him would just hide out there.

Dark Empire bothers me for many reasons: Leia becomes a fully-trained Jedi Knight in it, when she hadn't had all that much training in the story immediately before DE, ie the Thrawn Trilogy... and then, of course, she loses her Knighthood in the Jedi Academy trilogy. Loses as in 'never had it' like it was wiped from the minds of everyone involved. Plus Palpatine acting like a Cylon skinjob (nice analogy), and Luke thinking he could destroy the dark side from within, and former Jedi Kam Solusar showing up outta nowhere (I know, I know, his story was meant to happen but was canceled), and the Jedi Weeble, whatshisname-Brand, being the one who finally ends Palpatine, and Luke finding a stash of dozens/hundreds of lightsabers under an old Jedi tree, and the leader of the 'Dark Side Warriors' looking like a refugee from a Mad Max film, and the fact that the Republic was downgraded to the Rebellion again so soon after they defeated Thrawn, and...well, all of it. Except most of the art. I enjoyed Kennedy's take on a lot of it.

Most of Kevin J Anderson's stuff except the idea of Luke's academy being on Yavin IV.

Children of the Jedi, though Jawas and Gamorreans acting like stormtroopers is amusing.

The Crystal Star. All of it, except the idea of lightsabers activated by use of the Force.

How come you don't like Luke's academy being on Yavin IV? Just curious, I mean out of everything it seems like a minor thing to me.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

What bothers me with the EU is the sheer stupidity of alot of it. Things that distort the basic theme or feel from what the movies present. There are things I like about it, namely works that feel like a natural extension of the movies. But I'm not a fan of things that change up the style from the movies, or dumb stuff happening for the sake of making a P.O.S. work relevant.

As a Star Wars fan, I throw out alot of EU stuff, because IMO the vast majority of it is garbage. I'm more of a purist.

I haven't found anything yet that riles me, although I find that since gaming and reading are hobbies/getaways for me, I just take them at face value. It's entertainment, and nothing else to me. If something stops entertaining me, I'll stop engaging in it.