Shooting backwards?

MasterAtin

Every so often I'll be playing chicken with another fighter, and suddenly they'll switch from moving towards me slowly, to moving straight away from me very fast, and the way my UI tracks them, its almost like they've used a maneuver and they become impossible to hit. And if you've ever played chicken with an enemy in this way, they're hard to miss

But maneuvers obviously change the directions where you can shoot, so that doesn't make sense.

I was wondering if any else has seen this and has an explanation. The only thing I can think of is them activating "running interference" and that my perspective is different than theirs. From their perspective, all movement is normal, but from mine, they're moving differently.

Sounds like you've encountered Retro Thrusters. It is an engine ability that basically makes the enemy fly backwards and behave as you describe. T1 Strike is the ship you most commonly see flying with retro thrusters fitted. All ships can run with a large variety of different engine abilities. You use this stuff via " 3" key. Typically engine ability is a flight manouver that doubles as a missile break.

What you accuratrely describe as "playing chicken" is usually called jousting in GSF lingo! When you do that against a T1 strike, they typically have you right whrere they want you, it is an excellent ship for that.

....Maybe you already know all that and talk about someting different? Often lag alters the reality a bit. Sometimes, it can end up looking as if your lasers hit an enemy moments after they flew by you and, according to your screen, are at your six by the time game tells you you hit them. Sometimes, GS might hit an enemy that had just disappeared behind some canyon wall. People who are suffering from serious lag appear to be randomly bounching all over the place. Variety of small things like that def happen every now and then. - > Generally speaking, when it comes to things that are about tiny fractions of a second,its often/randomly a good idea to take the shot that won't connect according to your eyes. tldr use the force:p

Edited by Stradlin

The Running Interference active co-pilot ability does not change how a ship maneuvers, it only increases the evasion chance. But the way evasion works is, even shots directed at a ship at a dead standstill would still have a chance to miss their target,

Most engine maneuvers, including retro thrusters, have a small window of 3-5 seconds (depending on the ability) of both increased evasion chance and immunity from missile locks. You will see it as a second buff using the same icon as the engine maneuver under the ship in your target information window.

EDIT:

suddenly they'll switch from moving towards me slowly, to moving straight away from me very fast

Could be Snap Turn by that description. I think Snap Turn is only available on scouts, whereas some scouts and some strikes can get Retros and K-Turn.

Edited by phalczen

The Running Interference active co-pilot ability does not change how a ship maneuvers, it only increases the evasion chance. But the way evasion works is, even shots directed at a ship at a dead standstill would still have a chance to miss their target,

Most engine maneuvers, including retro thrusters, have a small window of 3-5 seconds (depending on the ability) of both increased evasion chance and immunity from missile locks. You will see it as a second buff using the same icon as the engine maneuver under the ship in your target information window.

EDIT:

Could be Snap Turn by that description. I think Snap Turn is only available on scouts, whereas some scouts and some strikes can get Retros and K-Turn.

Yeah, it sounds like some sort of maneuver. But the thing is, while the enemy fighter is doing the maneuver, they're sill facing me AND shooting me. It's not possible to be facing someone and shooting them while they're committing/in the process of completing a maneuver.

But that's what I've seen a small handful of times.

Yeah, it sounds like some sort of maneuver. But the thing is, while the enemy fighter is doing the maneuver, they're sill facing me AND shooting me. It's not possible to be facing someone and shooting them while they're committing/in the process of completing a maneuver.

That does sound like retro thrusters, if you are both flying straight towards one another and the other ship hits retro, they will boost backwards for a couple seconds while still facing you and can continue to fire.

...while the enemy fighter is doing the maneuver, they're sill facing me AND shooting me. It's not possible to be facing someone and shooting them while they're committing/in the process of completing a maneuver.

That is definitely the Retro Thrusters ability and is something you should try to learn. It's a neat trick. That Engine ability makes you jet suddenly backwards but does not change your facing. So if I were flying straight at you and hit that, I would be breaking missiles thanks to the ability and still would be able to shoot all the while cause I am going in reverse with my front still looking at you.

There are a few guides online with good tips and tricks. This one is quite good, if a bit long:

https://vulkk.com/2018/02/01/swtor-galactic-starfighter-guide-beginners/

100% what you are seeing is Retro Thrusters. This is exactly what it's for. Most people can't deal out serious damage even in a straight line, so using Retro Thrusters you exploit their weakness. You fly directly toward them while shooting, retro as they fire their torpedo, and keep shooting at the same time. When you retro you move backwards *but keep facing forwards.* Retro also boosts evasion by 24% which is what's making them harder to hit while they Retro.

So to clarify. YES, it is in fact possible for a ship to continue shooting while executing an engine maneuver. In fact it's not just "possible", its *designed* this way.

Hey thanks for all the help guys.

The retro thrusters maneuver completely makes sense now. For some reason I confused that ability with interdiction drive, which propels you straight forward.

I appreciate the clarification. And for informing me that "playing chicken" in GSF is commonly referred to as "jousting" which makes a lot more sense.