Is PVP Compulsory?

Myriandore

Back from a 6 months break. Wait a minute...

Whaaaaaat ?!

Are you saying that in order to upgrade my PVE hard earned gear, I must PVP which I hate with a passion?

That is only one avenue for upgrading, and that is if you are totally relying on RNG command crates to do so. Otherwise you can do nothing but pve content and get every piece of top tier gear.

Edited by Darkside

To obtain the absolute best gear in the game right now the 248, you need unassembled components which come from pvp content, however 246 gear drops from the command crates somewhat regularly once you are at 300.

To obtain the absolute best gear in the game right now the 248, you need unassembled components which come from pvp content, however 246 gear drops from the command crates somewhat regularly once you are at 300.

248s also drop from the crates, just less often than 246.

248s also drop from the crates, just less often than 246.

Also 248 pieces (at least some of them) are available from raids. Hard mode, of course ... I mean Master mode ... or is it Veteran? Whatever the hardest version is lol.

They both use the same gear now so both have opportunities to get that gear. PvP gives Unassembled Components to get what pieces you want while Operations still have drops.

There's also Galactic Command crates that drop random pieces for whatever your role is set to.

Take a breath, man.

With 5.*, pvp is pretty much compulsory especially if you play alt characters frequently.

Even then you will need to use 100% command boost from the Cartel Market and do operations (read EV/KP/DF/DP) a lot.

Edited by jimmorrisson

Yes it is!

You only have 2 alternatives to get bis-gear, which stand in no relation to the 100% guaranteed and easy accessible gear upgrade through components.

Alternative 1 is just to hope for some big luck and get a bis-piece out of a crate.

Alternative 2 is doing nim-operations which are anything but not easy accessible.

Doing nim-operations requires you to be part of a progression team and to keep the regulary appointments for your raid-evenings. Most likely you will need a suitable guild for that . At the end doing nim-operations is something only a few players can and/ or are willing to do.

The majority of players doesn't do nim-operations anyway cause progression is time consuming, they can't get into a nim-ops team, they prefer to be more uncommitted and log in when they want to/ have the time to or simply cause beeing in a nim-ops team doesn't really grant you bis-gear faster than by doing pvp (there are weekly lockouts and other players will roll on items too).

At the end you get your bis-gear much easier and faster by doing pvp. It's easy accessible, you can do it when ever you want and have the time and you don't even have to be a skilled player. Anyone can pvp anytime and farm components easily.

Many players also prefer to do the much easier hardmode-operations for gear drops and then pvp to upgrade these drops.

But still pvp is mandatory if u want those shiny 248s without depending on pure luck and if you are not one of those very few players who are part of a successfull nim-ops progression team.

So yes...pvp is compulsory!

If you want bis gear (no matter if you need it or not) you will have to pvp for your pve gear.

Yes, once you reach command rank 300 you start getting T4 command crates which have a small chance to drop a BiS piece (every 20 or so crates) and a good chance at a near-BiS piece (every 5 or so crates).

And you get crates pretty fast by doing your weeklies and dailies with a CXP boost active.

Nothing is compulsory.

PvP is a quicker way to gain the BiS gear items than relying on drops and RNG.

With the PvP and GSF weeklies and the matches needed to gain them, you can easily get several hundred unassembled components - enough for a gear piece per week.

OTOH if you do the PVE activities that give the most crates and chances of a BiS drop for your time, you'll likely get one or two gear pieces per week as well.

The only advice about PvP is to play for the win. - If you afk or just mess about, It'll be a long painful slog for the daily and weekly, and you'll not be thanked for spoiling 15 other people's games. - So expect a lot of venomous comments coming your way, and being added to a lot of people's ignore list.

But if you're reasonably competent with your class, regular PvP is a lot of fun just playing your role and trying hard.

GL.

Edited by Storm-Cutter

You know what, in hindsight I am in 2 minds...

- On the one hand I think it's almost sacrilege to the old tried and tested meritocratic high end gear system where only the very skilled elite would get BIS

- And on the other hand I feel it's only fair that everyone putting in the effort (regardless which type) should get access to BIS

Also, crucially we well know "skills > gear". Idd, not everyone with BIS has the skills to defeat top tier bosses.

At the end of the day leveling the playing field and making it possible to ALL to have a fair crack at toughies is not such a bad idea after all... Though strangely a part of me still thinks the old system prevails...

Argh what are you doing to me EA !

Edited by Myriandore

No is the answer. You don't need to PvP to get gear. Though will take longer to get.

However there are events that require PvP and group play if you want some or all of the rewards. Still most of it is cosmetic and not required to play the game.

Exactly. Unless you're doing Ranked PvP or the hardest PVE operations, the gear from Command crates and crafted gear should suffice.... so long as you know your class well, can manage your cooldowns, observe kill order, triage, tank-swap and the rest.

Yes it is!

You only have 2 alternatives to get bis-gear, which stand in no relation to the 100% guaranteed and easy accessible gear upgrade through components.

Alternative 1 is just to hope for some big luck and get a bis-piece out of a crate.

Alternative 2 is doing nim-operations which are anything but not easy accessible.

Doing nim-operations requires you to be part of a progression team and to keep the regulary appointments for your raid-evenings. Most likely you will need a suitable guild for that . At the end doing nim-operations is something only a few players can and/ or are willing to do.

The majority of players doesn't do nim-operations anyway cause progression is time consuming, they can't get into a nim-ops team, they prefer to be more uncommitted and log in when they want to/ have the time to or simply cause beeing in a nim-ops team doesn't really grant you bis-gear faster than by doing pvp (there are weekly lockouts and other players will roll on items too).

At the end you get your bis-gear much easier and faster by doing pvp. It's easy accessible, you can do it when ever you want and have the time and you don't even have to be a skilled player. Anyone can pvp anytime and farm components easily.

Many players also prefer to do the much easier hardmode-operations for gear drops and then pvp to upgrade these drops.

But still pvp is mandatory if u want those shiny 248s without depending on pure luck and if you are not one of those very few players who are part of a successfull nim-ops progression team.

So yes...pvp is compulsory!

If you want bis gear (no matter if you need it or not) you will have to pvp for your pve gear.

Again, Alternative 2 won't get you BiS. The non final boss drop random 244 or 246 gear. Final Bosses don't have the entire 248 loot tables

The only way to get full BIS is to get lucky with crates or PVP. You cannot get BiS with NiM alone.

It really is. You can get 248 other ways but nothing even comes close to how much faster it is to directly get them with comms from PVP/GSF which give lots of CXP as well, than purely through CXP. Edited by DarthZaul

Whaaaaaat ?!

Are you saying that in order to upgrade my PVE hard earned gear, I must PVP which I hate with a passion?

From a sole pvp player, it's seems it's actually faster to gear up in pve OPs.. this system actually hurts pvpers who only pvp

It really is. You can get 248 other ways but nothing even comes close to how much faster it is to directly get them with comms from PVP/GSF which give lots of CXP as well, than purely through CXP.

Sorry to say but that's not correct. It is much faster to get them in OPs

Sorry to say but that's not correct. It is much faster to get them in OPs

uhm well, the "faster" way is doing HM ops to get 242 and then pvp to turn them into 248. NiM bosses don't drop 248 except for the final one and some 248 pieces (mainhand for instance) are not on any of the current loot tables. Besides NiM raiding, unless you're part of an extremely experienced group, is not "fast" by any definition of the word I'm afraid.

So, for 242 BiS: Ops is the faster way (assuming you know 7 other moderatly capable people to get what doesn't drop from EV and KP). But for true BiS one needs to do both regardless, which I agree kinda sucks if you aggresively don't like one or the other. It's basically a "misery loves company" situation :)

From my experience as an altaholic I would say the question is kinda moot unless you are a serious raider. With the level adjustment stuff I find that the marginal improvement between 240 stuff and even the green 228 is marginal. It takes a little longer to get through stuff, but with the massive time sink that is walking back and forth a few extra seconds in combat is almost welcome.

I would tend to assume that the regular mode ops aren't that much different. In the master modes I've done knowing what to do in the fights matters more since a few extra points wouldn't prevent a one shot curb stomping.

Whaaaaaat ?!

You are in fact asking is upgrading my PvE gear compulsory? If upgrading your PvE gear is not compulsory then PvP is not compulsory.

So why do you want to upgrade your PvE gear? So as to be effective in PvE content I suppose. If you are actively engaged in PvE content (which explains why you want to upgrade your PvE gear), you will have command crates earned in the process through which you can get your gear upgraded (even if you are unlucky for 90 command levels to NOT EVEN EARN A SINGLE PIECE of gear upgrade), you will eventually hit the next Tier level which reward you with next higher Tier gear. Does this make sense?

You are in fact asking is upgrading my PvE gear compulsory?

No mate. Read again; I ask "is PVP compulsory to upgrade gear?" - two very different things.

As for whether gear is to be upgraded, personally the answer is a resounding OFC!

For what it's worth, I've always spent tons even on tiny improvement to my stats.