Missile Senrty Drone vs Railgun Sentry Drone

stesergio

Any bomber pilots out there who can offer me some insight on the pros and cons of these two sentry drones? I have the railgun on one character and it usually gets me a few kills each battle so I do like it. I'm about to unlock the bomber on another character and I'm wondering if sticking with the Missile Drone could work any better? It gets missiles and a laser but at shorter range. The railgun is higher damage and longer range but 2 sec cool down plus 4 sec to charge is a long time between shots.

I'd appreciate if anyone could share your thoughts and experiences with these two drones. Thanks.

The railgun drone takes 6s between shots. That gives your enemy plenty of time to regenerate his shields.

The missile drone does constant damage to an enemy with it's lasers, preventing any shield regeneration and the constant lock-on beep makes your enemy crazy and maybe forces him to waste his missile breaker.

For defending a node, i'd think that missile sentry drones might be better and railgun drones for open space combat and long range tasks.

Edited by Sindariel

Any bomber pilots out there who can offer me some insight on the pros and cons of these two sentry drones? I have the railgun on one character and it usually gets me a few kills each battle so I do like it. I'm about to unlock the bomber on another character and I'm wondering if sticking with the Missile Drone could work any better? It gets missiles and a laser but at shorter range. The railgun is higher damage and longer range but 2 sec cool down plus 4 sec to charge is a long time between shots.

I'd appreciate if anyone could share your thoughts and experiences with these two drones. Thanks.

I was wondering this my self and went with the missile drone. I have no regrets but i was not sure which is best. Yes i am upgrading every imp ship right now so i use bombers but only till the x2 xp is gone each day. I still think they are Op but if they are here i'll fly them.

The railgun drone takes 6s between shots. That gives your enemy plenty of time to regenerate his shields.

The sentry drone does constant damage to an enemy with it's lasers, preventing any shield regeneration and the constant lock-on beep makes your enemy crazy and maybe forces him to waste his missile breaker.

For defending a node, i'd think that sentry drones might be better and railgun drones for open space combat and long range tasks.

Nice. Good insights. Thank you.

Me and a buddy like to post up with out bombers and make a nest. I wonder if one drone carrier with the railgun and another with the missile drone is a good set up. Railgun for long range hits and missile drone for close-up support.

Eh, maybe. But unless you find you need the extra repair drone for something, a minelayer might make a better partner for the actual sat defense. Then again, dislodging two of any kind of bomber from a sat often needs a coordinated response to have any real chance of success.

I observed this personally. If there is no other pressure/damage to the enemy, most of his shields will regen between the railgun drone shots. Quite a trade off, yet I don't find the missile drone to be as effective although I haven't maxed it out yet.

Your final talent can take the shot delay down to 5.5- enough that many ships will never regen a single drop of shield in betwixt (there's obviously exceptions, but those ships give something up for that trick). That being said, a railgun drone isn't normally just responsible for soloing someone- his job is to either put up constant pressure during a big fight, or to pull an enemy over to handle it.

I use railgun on my dronecarriers. I don't trust missile drones until they fix the lock bug- I wan to see how they play then, you know?

Right now the missile drone rocks some socks because of the bug, but you take that away, and I think it falls nicely into the category of "not better, just different".

I have one toon with missile, another with railgun, and I will attest to the above saying that missile drone does better close to a sat in domination(or guarding something else that is close by, such as a friendly gunship), but otherwise, railgun is the drone for open spaces.

The real use of the railgun is not attacking a fresh enemy, rather the enemy with a red hull who mucks up and gets near an unseen raildrone.

During times where I am the lone bomber guarding a satellite, sometimes I find myself wishing I could swap to missile drone on the fly for a little on-demand backup, because the constant distraction of a missile lock when coupled with the lasers can feign off your tails long enough for you to regain your composure/have help arrive.

Above in mind, I almost want to say, if you are great with your blasters, go railgun, but if you aren't so confident with them and plan to be a total tank, go missile; but I think personal preference is the only deciding factor at the end of the day(once the bug is fixed that is).

You can get the feel well enough on both without upgrading them, just keep in mind that missile is OP at the moment due to the auto hit.

I'll also add that today I was in a match vs a bomber who was using interdiction to great affect, and I am really second guessing writing that one off now.

Some of you can apparently really work this one, so it may be worth a test run as well.