Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

2.0 Guardian Tank focus loss

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Knight > Guardian
2.0 Guardian Tank focus loss

Taleek
02.22.2013 , 11:07 AM | #21
Um, don't tech/force attacks do tech/force damage?
*insert witty retort that will become someone's signature*- Kitty Prawn
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=347245
.- Never forget.
"DPS is science, healing is art, tanking is strategy."

periphelion
02.22.2013 , 11:10 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Taleek View Post
Um, don't tech/force attacks do tech/force damage?
No, tech and force are the attack type. The damage type can be kinetic, energy, internal or elemental.

Taleek
02.22.2013 , 11:52 AM | #23
Wow, don't I feel silly now? Lol. Thanks for clearing that up.
*insert witty retort that will become someone's signature*- Kitty Prawn
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=347245
.- Never forget.
"DPS is science, healing is art, tanking is strategy."

grallmate
02.24.2013 , 04:24 PM | #24
After playing around with this on the PTS I can say I'm really happy with the changes. Took me a little to get used to the playstyle again since I'd retired my Guardian tank in favour of my Shadow but I think the changes will have me reversing that.

First of all, threat is a dream now. I jumped straight into SM S&V without even messing around on a dummy and I had no threat issues. This also coming from a retired Hybrid Guardian on Live. Trash was much easier to deal with thanks to the front loaded focus from Sunder 1+4 Guardian Slash and the cheaper Cyclonic Sweep.

Just like live, Focus management on a dummy is a PITA. Focus management when actively tanking is fine. I was swimming it.

Mitigation feels fine for SM S&V, I didn't feel squishy at all the healers weren't having issues healing me. The lower CD on Saber Ward and Warding Call felt really good. Between those 2, a clicky relic and an armour adrenal I always had a CD for when I wanted one. I also liked the Riposte CD reduction when Saber Ward is active, I don't think it's necessary and I often found I was waiting for the proc to use it rather than the CD to run down but its fun.

Saber Reflect is awesome fun. I'm still working out how to use it as a defensive CD rather than a bunch of free threat but its very interesting.

Rotation feels much more natural now. Instead of Sunder -> Filler -> Filler we have pretty much everything on a 12s CD:
- Sunder
- Guardian Slash
- Blade Storm
- Force Sweep
With that in mind I was finding a Rotation along the lines of:
Sunder -> Guardian Slash -> Blade Storm -> Filler -> Sweep -> Filler -> Filler -> Repeat worked pretty well.

Only real downsides for me where Purifying Sweeps being useless outside of Sudering trash and having to choose between PvP talents because I needed more points to reach the top of the tree.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

PhantomMalice
02.24.2013 , 10:01 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Siorac View Post
They reworked quite a lot of things, itemization is very much different now. In the full stock Arkanian gear, my Guardian has the following stats (Defense spec, War Leader set):

- 33915 HP
- 9647 armour rating
- 46.80% damage reduction
- 15.08% Defense chance
- 41.05% Shield chance
- 35.25% Shield absorption

Make of it what you will. The mitigation stats are only very slightly lower in my 61/63 gear (on the PTS, not on the live servers) but the difference in Endurance and Strength is MASSIVE.
Would you quit generating false hysteria? We all know that the character sheet when displaying stats are out of whack right now. For example, it was showing my Gunslinger on PTS having 14.78% accuracy in basic level 55 gear. But tested on Operation dummy, I know for sure it is closer to 98%+

wadecounty
02.25.2013 , 10:46 AM | #26
Just to help put into perspective how good the new Sunder is...

One thing not mentioned earlier in the thread, it can be specced down to 12 seconds (those 2 points used to add additional sunder stacks), and specced to give 2 more Focus (those 2 points used to be for just 1 Focus, 50%/100% chance, now each point adds a point of Focus).

So for example, in Vigilance spec, the old Sunder would give you 9 Focus in a 12 second period. The new Sunder gives you 7 Focus.. use 1 Strike, and you've equaled the 9 Focus of the old Sunder with a GCD to spare to use on whatever you want, or use an extra Strike and you're sitting at 11 Focus when in the old system you'd have only generated 9.

In Soresu it gets even better, you're looking at 6 Focus generated from the old Sunder in a 9 second period... now you generate 6 Focus just from 1 single Sunder! That frees up 2 whole GCD's to do whatever you want, you can Strike for more Focus, Slash to spend Focus, whatever.

Bottom line, it is a huge QOL improvement, makes your rotation more flexible in both specs.

GalenMourne
02.26.2013 , 12:33 AM | #27
The sundering strike change is great. Talented in Soresu its 6 foucs every 12 secs for 1 global cooldown, Its like have a 12 sec extra combat focus that does a little damage. Add in that combat focus is now a 45 second cooldown, the 1 point focus cost reduction on guardian strike, blade storm and cyclonic and focus management is easy.

While we lost 6% defense talent(net 4% loss), we gained 15% armor increase and guardian slash put up a 3% damage reduction increase for 20 sec(also procs riposte), and riposte increases all defenses by 5%( gives us resist vs force attacks).

For rotation i always use

Saber throw > charge> force sweep(accuracy debuff and armor reduction) > guardian slash > combat focus > riposte> blade storm > Hilt strike>master strike> sundering > back to sweep and repeat with different fillers.

I get all my defenses up in a row, and make sure blade storm is 6 secs away from force sweep to maximize stacks
"You know spies, a bunch of *****y little girls!"