Mastering the High Jump

OrionTi

I can't seem to jump very high and don't know how to jump onto something a little high in the air. Obviously, it is pretty easy to jump onto something low like a low platform and etc., but can't seem to jump onto something higher like the way to the Sky Deck in KOTET Chapter 6. What is the trick to jumping that high without constantly falling or looking stupid jumping in the air over and over?

I can't seem to jump very high and don't know how to jump onto something a little high in the air. Obviously, it is pretty easy to jump onto something low like a low platform and etc., but can't seem to jump onto something higher like the way to the Sky Deck in KOTET Chapter 6. What is the trick to jumping that high without constantly falling or looking stupid jumping in the air over and over?

Irrelevancy: why do you care what you look like when you're doing KotET Chapter VI? No other player is in there to see what you're doing.

In general, the trick there is to not do it that way. There's a bonus that opens a different route, and another bonus that makes all the fights after that point easier.

Different route:

There's a server room in the basement. If you try to open it, you're told that you can't. Lana will come over the comm and tell you to lift the lockdown and get in there and steal a pile of data. If you do that (see footnote (1) after the spoiler boxes), after you fight the rancor thing, a door opens allowing you access to corridors and stairs.

Easier fights:

You probably heard the beast master - I forget his name - berating an underling about the state of health of one of "the kids". The underling leaves a block of medicine in a feeding tray. Steal it, and go upstairs to the kitchen and steal a thrown-away haunch of glazed Kell. Put the medicine in the glazed Kell (right click on either in the "Mission" tab of your inventory) and put the result back in the feeding tray. The "kid" (actually an exoboar) eats the food and the screen shows she is grateful. When you fight the big rancor, the kid and three others will assist you in that fight and they will follow after you and help you in other fights along the way. In Story Mode they absolutely *wreck* Zak Knights, droids, renegades and all the rest.

Footnote

(1) https://fibrojedi.me.uk/swtor-kotet/the-dragons-maw-chapter-6/ explains the server room bonus.

Ah, OK, I see what you're saying.

Mastering the forward jump is important for getting datacrons and other stuff. The thing you need to understand is that SWTOR's controls don't work like platforming games, so it doesn't work to "run" and "jump". That just does a normal jump. However, if you press "jump / space" and "forward / W" at the exact same time, you'll do a longer jump than normal.

You want to get as close to the edge as possible, then jump + forward at same time.

Pro tip: A different kind of jump is helpful for getting close to the edge. In this jump, press "Space" first, then tap "forward" a hair. You can use this to just barely move forward.

Edited by sharkfishman

This is probably also like the jump in Athiss that everyone uses to skip packs and walk over the side railing to the boss that I feel takes me longer to actually get up on that ledge than it would to just have the group clear to the boss. Thanks for the Jump / Forward pattern im going to have to practice that.. maybe do it in story mode to see if I can get the hang of the jump so not everyone thinks im an idiot all the time :)

This is probably also like the jump in Athiss that everyone uses to skip packs and walk over the side railing to the boss that I feel takes me longer to actually get up on that ledge than it would to just have the group clear to the boss. Thanks for the Jump / Forward pattern im going to have to practice that.. maybe do it in story mode to see if I can get the hang of the jump so not everyone thinks im an idiot all the time :)

Lol. Don't feel bad. That Athiss jump is brutal. Certain body types especially seem to have a problem getting stuck on that one.