A PvP a Day...

DomiSotto

Okay, I decided to commit to doing one War Zone a day. I hate PvP, so I figure my only chance to do it is to go public with my fears. Let's see how long I shall last. So, who thinks I will manage to not unclick the WarZone before it pops today? :)

Oh, and of course, anyone else with PvP phobia wants to try to overcome it?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop trying to focus on everything that's happening. It can be stressfull and overwhelming if you're not natural at blocking out the unimportant information.

Just plan on doing one thing, the whole warzone, and close your chatbox. Just do your thing. Maybe focus on a healer (use target marker). Or just stop caps on the node. Or just focus on healing teammates. Once you're over the fear of screwing up, incorporate another thing, and do both. Maybe healing, and stop capping. Or maybe dps the enemy healer, and cap the node.

Once you've worked up to being able to contribute, re-open your chatbox. Wait until you know that your input to the warzone was beneficial. Did you stop a cap? Did you cap the node that led to the win? Did you kill the healer? Did you kill the dps that was burning your healer?

DO NOT OPEN YOUR CHATBOX BEFORE THIS. You'll just get flamed and probably want to quit.

It's PUG pvp...nobody has the right to whine about others. They still will though, and your enemies will talk trash. So will your teammates, because they're also AFRAID OF LOSING and want to blame someone else.

Don't be their somebody else.

Okay, I decided to commit to doing one War Zone a day. I hate PvP, so I figure my only chance to do it is to go public with my fears. Let's see how long I shall last. So, who thinks I will manage to not unclick the WarZone before it pops today? :)

Oh, and of course, anyone else with PvP phobia wants to try to overcome it?

Haha

Good on ya mate! You can do eeeet!

Very good!!! I'm very pleased you're giving it a chance. Uber has some good advice above. Don't worry about ANYTHING...everyone dies, everyone has screwed up and everyone has started exactly where you are!

While in there...enjoy it!!!! No stress, no worries...stay calm no matter what happens!!! :)

Don't let the poeple on your team or the other team get you down. That's number one. Everyone has to start somewhere and if you're trying to learn, that's all the "good" pvpers should be asking.

Block out the hate and accept the advice and constructive criticism! We need more people to PvP!

True Story:

I didn't PvP on my first toon until lvl 50 (way pre-2.0)

My first warzone was a Hypergate and I capped the node and left it. I didn't even know or think about guarding. A guy sarcastically asked me if this was my first warzone and I replied with a sad yeah

He went on to give me quite a few little tips on just how to play in a match, not even class specific.

Just do your best and try to learn something new each match :D

Edited by PhatMcMuffins

As others have mentioned, don't get discouraged. Turning off your chat entirely isn't a terrible idea. The thing I would emphasize most above all is to either defend the objectives you have or move with your team. Work to bolster the allies you've got who are more experienced and it should help out.

Hmm, I'll commit to one pvp match a day on my scoundrel, lvl 52. I have played him a bit in pvp and liked it a whole lot more then my main. I think it will help me get my healer ready for raids, with the needed quick reaction time and fast paced playing. Also having the comms to get both obroan relics and another piece of pvp gear when I ding will also be cool. I'll try t report back.

Hmm, I'll commit to one pvp match a day on my scoundrel, lvl 52. I have played him a bit in pvp and liked it a whole lot more then my main. I think it will help me get my healer ready for raids, with the needed quick reaction time and fast paced playing. Also having the comms to get both obroan relics and another piece of pvp gear when I ding will also be cool. I'll try t report back.

Awesome! Welcome to you too! Any more than 1 per day though and we're going to label you guys "PvPers" ;)

Good idea. Seems to me that (depends on the individual ofc) straight PVEers can put themselves at a disadvantage for PVE. When everything is on-script no problem. When there's a goof up or things otherwise get off-script, and it's time to assess and act on the fly, I've seen them often freak out or just give up.

Since PVP trains more on quick, fluid, assessing and planning to fit the situation you'd be enhanced skill-wise. Not just knowing to wait for A cuz then it's time to do B and C. Also too you can be that guy in raids that instinctively runs strafes, and mouse-turns through NPCs making your self-rooting op mates wonder ***.

Edited by Joesixxpack

Good idea. Seems to me that (depends on the individual ofc) straight PVEers can put themselves at a disadvantage for PVE. When everything is on-script no problem. When there's a goof up or things otherwise get off-script, and it's time to assess and act on the fly, I've seen them often freak out or just give up.

Since PVP trains more on quick, fluid, assessing and planning to fit the situation you'd be enhanced skill-wise. Not just knowing to wait for A cuz then it's time to do B and C. Also too you can be that guy in raids that instinctively runs strafes, and mouse-turns through NPCs making your self-rooting op mates wonder ***.

This made me remember the one time i healed a raid. It was 16m SM S&V. I was the only healer moving constantly and ****. All the others stayed planted (where they were supposed to be haha). Most definitely wasn't optimal but the PvP in me doesn't turn off lol

Okay. Today's Report

Date: 08 July 2014

Server: Harbinger

Character: Quinly-farlong, Sage, Healer Spec, Lvl 52, equipment an eclectic mix of L47 blues and L50 purples

Placement: <1 min

Zone: Voidstar

Died: ~ 5 times?

Won or Lost: Won (5:2 was the score)

Suckage: 4th from the bottom

Loot: 250 WZ Comms and 7 of something else(?)

This Warzone was easier to run around in than the Navarre Coast one I have visited 20 or so levels ago. That's a positive. What the heck the guys were doing I have no idea (yes, it was explained in the beginning). I spent my time between healing whoever was within reach, being stunned and shaking off assorted Marauders unsuccessfully. I think I attempted one cleanse (memory fails if it were successful) and used Speed once. I totally forgot about lifting & never managed to stun anyone, which is annoying, providing the amount of stunning love the character got. I was wondering if stunning the clueless sage was some sort of a mini-game.

Okay, good till tomorrow!

Edited by DomiSotto

Ok, so after this evenings raid I attempted to pvp, so I Q and got a pop a few minutes later, I accept and start to load in an AHG. Well, for some damn reason it takes awhile to load in and the minute I pop in, it kicks me for being in safe zone for to long. So i Q right back up and the same damn thing happens again. So tomorrow I will try again and report back, cause stuff like that happens to me once and awhile.

Suckage: 4th from the bottom

That scoreboard doesn't show the true story behind a match, you could have the top dps score, no objectives score, but worked damn hard to keep the enemy off your team. Don't read into it as anything truly important as it's only an indicator of stats (certainly not gameplay)

The scoreboard also vastly advantages classes that heal and damage or damage and tank.

The bonus extra-medals for healing 3k & healing done are easy to grab as conceal operative, i.e. - unless you just tunnel. Or if you're a heal - don't forget to throw your grenade for medals & keeping the enemy from tapping and such.

Or if you play something that can taunt... that is supposed to be on cooldown. Doesn't cost a thing and really helps the team...

Lots of small things you don't have to worry too much about and just progressively learn.

One hint: If you keep doing something and it does not work. The solution is probably NOT that it's broken and supposed to work. PvP is a lot about just adapting and trying other things. Sometimes the unexpected 'not best move' throws the enemy off the track and gets you a win. :D

This may be a dickish question, but how are you going to get better doing pvp once a day? Why not a few hours a day so that you can get actual experience. Don't get me wrong, i think it's great that you are branching out, but you're kind of just a tourist at this point. Dive in. You've already got your feet wet. Might as well get the full experience.

I am pretty certain the scoreboard is actually kinder to me than the gameplay permits.

Started early today, on a morning run, with a character who made a noob mistake and therefore needs comms like air to even get L50 Makeb equipment. Those of you who think that Empire stands no chance on Harbinger, rejoice! One particular Imperial party certainly had a field day this morning, I stand witness. I understand that I probably willfully replace a good high level player with my bumbling toon, but I really need the comms.

Date: 09 July 2014

Server: Harbinger

Character: Tishujen, Gunslinger, Dirty Fighting Spec, Lvl 53, equipment an eclectic mix of L47 blues and L50 purples (worse than the Sage)

Placement: <5 min (That's at 4 am, WOW!)

Zone: Voidstar (but a different role)

Died: 11 times (wow, nearly got 15 deaths achievement), and it shows 7 kills, but I am pretty positive it is not solo

Won or Lost: Lost (0:6, lol)

Suckage: 5th from the bottom

Loot: 200 WZ Comms (100 from some sign-up or another) and... did not look

The Empire had a really amazing player, an Inquisitor of sorts, that moved like nothing else, and basically electrocuted the toons out of the gates. I think the Imps went as a team as well, as I saw signs of coordination (a couple of Maras around the perimeter that the Inquisitor was not controlling). My toon this time was not so much stunned, as just killed by the AoE very fast. I totally forgot to tab through the targets; I tried to be more mobile but it takes getting used to, with a PvE style being roll to the target, drop in cover and fight from there. Basically no heals, but as a DPS one cannot expect that, plus, I have a feeling that most of the folks were in similar circumstances to mine. I fared worse as a DPS, I only got to 3,000 damage from a single ability, while Healer got her 5,000+ heal.

All and all, for the amount of reward, PvP is way better than Flashpoints and doesn't leave you with a repair bill. I am going to print out the descriptions of the warzones to have a better idea as to what is actually going on, what the heck node means, why it has to be capped, and stuff.

This may be a dickish question, but how are you going to get better doing pvp once a day? Why not a few hours a day so that you can get actual experience. Don't get me wrong, i think it's great that you are branching out, but you're kind of just a tourist at this point. Dive in. You've already got your feet wet. Might as well get the full experience.

It is a fair question, rather than a dikish one. My entire life I always stuck to one principle - if something is hard but needs doing it should be like brushing teeth. So, once a day to not drop it off. I might try more, but my main fun in this game comes from playing the story, both as a solo on 3 characters, and on 9 grouped characters. I normally have under 1 hour in the morning to play solo, and sometimes an hour, maybe hour and a half in the evening (for grouped). Do more on the weekend, of course.

I am still a very new player who has 0 class stories completed, though I am close on 2. I also played SP games all my life, and never minded pulling out CLUA Console to cheat when things got tough. This game is the first one where the game keeps me straight and narrow. As much as it is fascinating it is also frustrating.

To summarize: baby steps.

Edited by DomiSotto

I am going to print out the descriptions of the warzones to have a better idea as to what is actually going on, what the heck node means, why it has to be capped, and stuff.

Don't forget to check out the sticky's at the top of this forum when you get a chance. The "how to be a contender" has a lot of gearing at level 55 info in the first half of the OP but half way down there is a section about the individual WZ's and do 's and don't in general.

Here is another link within that OP giving the basic outline of each (with the exception of the new queshball map. It has similar tactics to regular huttball)

Edited by Ridickilis

There'll be a noticeable tipping point related to gear. Set piece bonuses, augmented obroan... When you hit it you'll see better survivability and healing and damage output. For sage good timing for kiting, positioning, breaking line of sight, self-healing (with a force potency charge if needed), and cc will help your survivability and effectiveness. Use dem warzone adrenals and medpacks too if you're not.

Don't be shy about being obvious healing key people or premades that appear to know what they're doing; and positioning near competent acting ranged DPSers and throwing them heals too like you're a mini-team. Those types are more likely to peel for you than the heroes off soloing in the corner.

Edited by Joesixxpack

Actually, if I can ask for the tips on easily recognizing who is who (i.e. tank, DPS, healer) that would be great. I attached myself to a knight for a while, healing the toon while it fought, and it was a better part of it, because it mimicked exactly what I do in PvE with our group. :)

There're these http://dulfy.net/2012/03/17/class-icons-for-1-2/ for an initial look.

Personally I skim through the op frame and see who's what based on stance and buffs; and look at the abilities they're using and how they're using them during the match to see how they're playing. Are they a tank just DPSing or actually tanking, etc.

Edited by Joesixxpack