Quick question about NM S&V from an unexperienced player.

How hard is that op?

What item level is required?

I honestly don't do raids in swtor. I do heroic raids in WoW though so a little challenge does not scare me even though the lack of add ons and macros in swtor make me unease.

I know it does not count much but I cleared the dread fortress in story mode.

Why do I ask all of this? I'm only interested in the crest, the dread master mask. I don't mean to offend anyone by my lack of interest in ops in that game.

Thanks to whoever come with serious answers. :)

Honestly the difficulty depends on a great many things. As you said with the add-ons in wow, there are none here. That means you will have to pay attention alot more and be able to tell the mechanics with out the help of dbm. Some fights on nim are easy like the first boss of tfb. Others on the other hand will be challenging depending on your group and your roll. Snv specificly is the longest raid so it will take some time to get through it. I have yet to fight the last boss in their and from what I hear he is a real pain. As far as gear 220 is probably the lowest and unless you know your class extremely well you will want alot more of the 224 for some of the harder bosses. Anyways gl. Edited by smokesnake

if you have never done it in any mode, it probably is a bad idea to start from Nightmare mode.

And you might have very difficult time finding a group that would even allow you to join straight to nightmare mode.

Even if you skip storymode, you should at the very least do hardmode first to get at least somewhat familiar with the operation before trying nightmare mode.

if you have never done it in any mode, it probably is a bad idea to start from Nightmare mode.

And you might have very difficult time finding a group that would even allow you to join straight to nightmare mode.

Even if you skip storymode, you should at the very least do hardmode first to get at least somewhat familiar with the operation before trying nightmare mode.

I will have to say I do agree here

From the information provided in the OP, your only realistic chance at getting a Crest is buying a Hateful Entity run from a guild like Not Good Enough. Be prepared to spend 150 million credits though. Edited by KaiserTNT

From what I gathered from your posts it boils down to Mythic difficulty in WoW...

Sounds like it is reserved to the elite I am not part of.

Apart from only a very couple of fights (neither of which are in SNV), Mythic raiding in WoW is harder than Nightmare in TOR.

How hard is that op?

What item level is required?

I honestly don't do raids in swtor. I do heroic raids in WoW though so a little challenge does not scare me even though the lack of add ons and macros in swtor make me unease.

I know it does not count much but I cleared the dread fortress in story mode.

Why do I ask all of this? I'm only interested in the crest, the dread master mask. I don't mean to offend anyone by my lack of interest in ops in that game.

Thanks to whoever come with serious answers. :)

since you are asking about the mask i will answer with that in mind.

first you have to go kill dreadtooth on section x and get the dread guard corrupted mask that he drops. everybody in your 16 man group will need the mask for the next part so repeat X 15. you will also need to buff him to 10 stacks and kill to get the item that summons the next boss.

the amulet you got from dreadtooth is on a 2 hour timer that binds it to the player holding it. if you get to the next boss within that timer, you can trade it to other players in your group to resummon the boss after a wipe. otherwise, you get 1 pull every 24 hours. in order to get to the boss (Dreadful Entity) you will need to kill the first boss of tfb nim. the dreadful entity will drop dreadful orb that you will need to summon the next boss. the same 2 hour window applies here as well.

in order to get to the next boss (Hateful Entity), you will need to clear the first 3 bosses of nim snv, but that is fairly easy. you can clear them in 8 man or 16 man, but you will need 16 good players to kill the secret boss. he drops 1 Crest of the Dread Master and so you will need to roll against anyone else in the group that wants it.

some of that can be shortcut, if some of your group already have the dread guard corrupted mask, and killing the early bosses in the ops before hand so it is a straight shot to the secret bosses. other parts of it cannot, and make that particular item very difficult to farm. you might be able to find a guild that would let you buy it, but i've never heard of it, and would guesstimate the price at ~150M non-refundable if it doesn't work out.

tl;dr: without the support of a good progression guild, it's not going to happen.

Edited by sumquy

the amulet you got from dreadtooth is on a 2 hour timer that binds it to the player holding it. if you get to the next boss within drop dreadful orb that you will need to summon the next boss. the same 2 hour window applies here as well.

G

in order to get to the next boss (Hateful Entity), you will need to clear the first 3 bosses of nim snv, but that is fairly easy. you can clear them in 8 man or 16 man, but you will need 16 good players to kill the secret boss. he drops 1 Crest of the Dread Master and so you will need to roll against anyone else in the group that wants it.

Three correction to your post.

TFB HM, not NiM, and first two bosses in S&V NiM, not three. Also he drops 4 Creast, not 1. And I know this because I spent around 28 hours wiping on Hateful with pugs pre-4.0.

To author...forget it. This boss not that hard, compared to someone like Styrak, but he rather annoying and long. One try taking up to 20 mins, because most time you will wipe because lack of dps.

Edited by LosevV

Three correction to your post.

TFB HM, not NiM, and first two bosses in S&V NiM, not three. Also he drops 4 Creast, not 1. And I know this because I spent around 28 hours wiping on Hateful with pugs pre-4.0.

To author...forget it. This boss not that hard, compared to someone like Styrak, but he rather annoying and long. One try taking up to 20 mins, because most time you will wipe because lack of dps.

thanks. i suspected some parts of that might be a little off or changed since it's been so long since i got my crest, and have not had any desire to go pull him again. if i remember right, we needed to kill thrasher because the first part of hateful was leading him down the hallway that leads to thrasher and if we didn't kill her first then the ~40ish meter knockback HE is constantly doing would push somebody into her pull range. back then we needed every foot we could get to beat the soft enrage of just running out of room. that is nice about him dropping 4 crests, though. that and the tfb and snv nim mounts are by far the hardest items in the game to farm.

tl;dr: without the support of a good progression guild, it's not going to happen.

Well I figured as much from all the helpful posts in this thread.

Now I have to think about whether all that hassle is worthy in order to get the Dread Master appearance. I am already embarked into a grind to 60 valor rank in order to get the battlemaster look.

I wished the whole thing was puggable like in WoW. But on my server people are not even doing the Dreadtooth and SectorX is deserted.

Well I'll investigate if there are such good guilds on my server but I find disingenuous to join one just for that.

Apart from only a very couple of fights (neither of which are in SNV), Mythic raiding in WoW is harder than Nightmare in TOR.

Maybe if you take away all the add ons top tier players use as crutches then i'd agree. Main reason why most high level WoW raiders come to SWTOR, try NiM, and fail horribly. They're so use to addons playing the game for them and set macros doing their rotations they're unable to "DO" for themselves and meet the requirements/demand some of these fights in SWTOR require. That's just my experience though (SWTOR player since beta / WoW player since 2007; completed all bosses and modes in both)

Edited by Bahadori

Well I figured as much from all the helpful posts in this thread.

Now I have to think about whether all that hassle is worthy in order to get the Dread Master appearance. I am already embarked into a grind to 60 valor rank in order to get the battlemaster look.

I wished the whole thing was puggable like in WoW. But on my server people are not even doing the Dreadtooth and SectorX is deserted.

Well I'll investigate if there are such good guilds on my server but I find disingenuous to join one just for that.

Other option is, as someone else mentioned, getting a sale run. It'll be expensive (couple hundred million credits) but there are some groups that do it I believe.

They're so use to addons playing the game for them and set macros doing their rotations they're unable to "DO" for themselves and meet the requirements/demand some of these fights in SWTOR require. )
Well add ons are quality of life. They tell you what is happening so you can improve, they do not play the game in your stead.

If I had a recount meter to know whether I'm pulling my weight or not and at least "G tfo" (that's the name of the addon) to see what the h... is that damage I'm getting, that would be nice.

Other option is, as someone else mentioned, getting a sale run. It'll be expensive (couple hundred million credits) but there are some groups that do it I believe.
I am never rich in MMOs since don't farm. Well we'll see if it comes to that ^^ Edited by Ethern

Well add ons are quality of life. They tell you what is happening so you can improve, they do not play the game in your stead.

If I had a recount meter to know whether I'm pulling my weight or not and at least "G tfo" (that's the name of the addon) to see what the h... is that damage I'm getting, that would be nice.

Starparse will do all that :)

ixparse.com

On the other hand, you may find you enjoy higher-difficulty Operations, if surrounded by a good bunch of people. Maybe it's worth exploring.

:rolleyes:

While I agree on parsers being really handy for endgame stuff, the idea of add-ons doing announcements always looked weird to me. That is, IF the game design is good enough and all the mechanics are delivered in some clean manner so you can see what's going on from what the game shows you... Why bother with add-ons?

If you have hard time reacting on some mechanic so you want to expect it in advance, you just do the boss over again until you start feeling timings more or less. Consistency is the key here. And after all, that's what the progression is for.

As for having troubles understanding what's going on in 40m mess, thanks but no thanks. Why would one raid in such a game? For me at least, playing games was about making decisions & reacting on stuff happening around, and if I can't make decision or react on something simply because it wasn't delivered to me by the game itself thus forcing me to seek workarounds, I call it a bad design, sorry. 5 million subscribers prove me wrong but that's my opinion.

No offense intended.

While I agree on parsers being really handy for endgame stuff, the idea of add-ons doing announcements always looked weird to me. That is, IF the game design is good enough and all the mechanics are delivered in some clean manner so you can see what's going on from what the game shows you... Why bother with add-ons?

If you have hard time reacting on some mechanic so you want to expect it in advance, you just do the boss over again until you start feeling timings more or less. Consistency is the key here. And after all, that's what the progression is for.

As for having troubles understanding what's going on in 40m mess, thanks but no thanks. Why would one raid in such a game? For me at least, playing games was about making decisions & reacting on stuff happening around, and if I can't make decision or react on something simply because it wasn't delivered to me by the game itself thus forcing me to seek workarounds, I call it a bad design, sorry. 5 million subscribers prove me wrong but that's my opinion.

No offense intended.

Add on announcers such as DBM and Big wigs became mandatory to increase the actual difficulty of the encounters and those are tuned with that parameter in mind. In early days of raiding players had to spam one ability and deal with one mechanic at the time.

With time rotations and boss mechanics became more complex. As a result, even for skilled players there was a lot to handle at once of successively.

I think from what I saw, Swtor encounters are in between. So announcers might not be needed in that game indeed.

As you said doing the boss over and over again is the best way to acquire the specific muscle memory required to beat it . Problem is that if you are grouped with people with low tolerance for failure, you might not have the opportunity and your raid night might end prematurely. Add ons kind of help in that regard.

I only did the Dread Fortress on story mode, and the only reason we cleared it is that everybody was patient and stayed wipe after wipe until everyone knew his part.

In other configurations, people disband or ragequit after one or two wipes.

If you don't have to review every single mechanic due to add on announcers that help in that regard as well.

We wipe 5 times and killed it at the sixth attempt. With announcers I can clearly tell that amount would have been cut by half.

As you said doing the boss over and over again is the best way to acquire the specific muscle memory required to beat it . Problem is that if you are grouped with people with low tolerance for failure, you might not have the opportunity and your raid night might end prematurely.

you made a very important point that i want to emphasize. specifically, the difference between a casual guild that does raids and a progression guild. it is not unusual for a progression raid group to spend 3-4 hours wiping on one boss, and then do it again 4-5 more nights before getting a kill on it. you are absolutely right, that that kind of commitment takes a willingness to accept failure as long as it is leading sumwhere. interestingly it also answers one of the most common questions i see on these forums: how do i get more dps? believe it or not, the easiest way, is to go pull that boss 100 times. keep that in mind when looking at the operations leaderboards, to see how you compare. the top parses are literally 1 in 100.

Add on announcers such as DBM and Big wigs became mandatory to increase the actual difficulty of the encounters and those are tuned with that parameter in mind. In early days of raiding players had to spam one ability and deal with one mechanic at the time.

With time rotations and boss mechanics became more complex. As a result, even for skilled players there was a lot to handle at once of successively.

I think from what I saw, Swtor encounters are in between. So announcers might not be needed in that game indeed.

As you said doing the boss over and over again is the best way to acquire the specific muscle memory required to beat it . Problem is that if you are grouped with people with low tolerance for failure, you might not have the opportunity and your raid night might end prematurely. Add ons kind of help in that regard.

I only did the Dread Fortress on story mode, and the only reason we cleared it is that everybody was patient and stayed wipe after wipe until everyone knew his part.

In other configurations, people disband or ragequit after one or two wipes.

If you don't have to review every single mechanic due to add on announcers that help in that regard as well.

We wipe 5 times and killed it at the sixth attempt. With announcers I can clearly tell that amount would have been cut by half.

People in swtor can do their rotations and mechanics just fine, for the best example go watch a revan kill on YouTube. Pay close attention to the guy calling out random numbers, he's gotta watch what order they come out in and call it out for everyone else, and you bet your **** he's doing his rotation at the same time, plus there's about 4 other things to worry about all at once.

Wait, wait, wait. You seriously wiped in DF SM? Say it wasn't GF. I guess group didn't disband because no one actually believed that they WIPED in DF STORY mode..