New Marauder: Annihilation or Carnage?

superegg

I am wondering, quite frankly, which one should I be?

I am doing more PvE than PvP currently, however once i get to a high enough level and join a guild, i may decide to do more PvP.

I just wanna know the pros/cons of both and why you chose (if you are one of them) what you chose.

Please help?

Go annihaltion - with this spec u pretty much will not loose 90 % of any of 1 on 1 encounters (unless you make mistakes) in pvp, iz just a very powerful spec due to the self heals and the constant crits from the dots. (Btw this is true only if you keybind all your skills and know how to play this class, otherwise ull have a hard time with any mara spec). It also very good in Pve because of its sustained damage (and selfheals)

Rage is also very good in early levels ( probably the best until 20 for pvp) due to the burst damage you get from force scream and lower cd on it. However the spec relies heavily on force moves ( and there are few, - Force Scream)

Carnage is probably a late bloomer but there are a number of complaints against it so not sure if that is the best tree to go for now until bioware buff it a bit.

So overall its just up 2 you which tree you want to follow - i personally specced into Anni and loving it especily in pvp

Edited by Majinr

Go annihaltion - with this spec u pretty much will not loose 90 % of any of 1 on 1 encounters (unless you make mistakes) in pvp, iz just a very powerful spec due to the self heals and the constant crits from the dots. (Btw this is true only if you keybind all your skills and know how to play this class, otherwise ull have a hard time with any mara spec). It also very good in Pve because of its sustained damage (and selfheals)

Rage is also very good in early levels ( probably the best until 20 for pvp) due to the burst damage you get from force scream and lower cd on it. However the spec relies heavily on force moves ( and there are few, - Force Scream)

Carnage is probably a late bloomer but there are a number of complaints against it so not sure if that is the best tree to go for now until bioware buff it a bit.

So overall its just up 2 you which tree you want to follow - i personally specced into Anni and loving it especily in pvp

Rage is by far the best at everything at 50. I think you''ve got rage confused with carnage.

EXACTLY. Everyone refuses to try out rage because "the juggs have it"

but on that note, jugg is going to be my next character, its going to be SOOOOO hard not to spec rage, +30% smash damage ... /drool

i vow to go immortal and be a beast huttball runner though : /

Try to elaborate "your" point of view instead of crush us under your truth.

Rage, to me, is not the best spec at 50, it seems annihilation and rage are both really efficient at max lvl. Carnage remains mysterious for me (i heard some bad feedbacks about his proficience in pvp).

but on that note, jugg is going to be my next character, its going to be SOOOOO hard not to spec rage, +30% smash damage ... /drool

i vow to go immortal and be a beast huttball runner though : /

30%? It's 100% boost to smash, and 100% crit.

Thanks guys, i've chosen Annhiliation. I do enjoy it a whole lot. Not sure if anyone will see my second question, because it doesn't much pertain to this thread, i may post a new q

but

Whats the deal with crafting?

Whats the most lucrative of the choices?

What do you choose and why?

I'm asking this, because i am constantly short on credits, due to the fact that i buy all my skill ups.

PVP Advice

Annihilation has the easiest learning curve out of the three specializations, and allows for massive damage over time in a short period of time. The Annihilation Marauder is highly reliant on Berserk, Deadly Saber, and Rupture. Though, the specialization does not really begin to shine until 27, and only starts to feel powerful at 20.

Carnage has the hardest learning curve out of the three specializations, and allows for burst damage. The Carnage marauder is highly reliant on Gore, Massacre, Procs and Force Scream. The specialization is played as the skirmisher who ties up an opponent with immobilization in the forms of Ravage, Deadly Throw, and Charge of which are all talented. The specialization unfortunately does not play right until level 40.

Rage has a mediocre learning curve out of the three specializations, and allows for burst and high mobility. The Rage Marauder is reliant on Force Choke, Force Crush, Force Charge, Obliterate, and Smash. The specialization will utterly crush many opponents. Yet the Rage Marauder does not begin to shine until 28, and will feel truly fleshed out at level 40.

Edited by BrolleunHunter

Thanks guys, i've chosen Annhiliation. I do enjoy it a whole lot. Not sure if anyone will see my second question, because it doesn't much pertain to this thread, i may post a new q

but

Whats the deal with crafting?

Whats the most lucrative of the choices?

What do you choose and why?

I'm asking this, because i am constantly short on credits, due to the fact that i buy all my skill ups.

I went Biochem + Bioanalysis, constant stims + medpacks whilst leveling has been pro.. Did you know that if your comp gets killed and you use a medpack that affects both you and them it res's them?

Carnage has the hardest learning curve out of the three specializations, and allows for burst damage. The Carnage marauder is highly reliant on Gore, Massacre, Procs and Force Scream. The specialization is played as the skirmisher who ties up an opponent with immobilization in the forms of Ravage, Deadly Throw, and Charge of which are all talented. The specialization unfortunately does not play right until level 40.

While you are spot on about the learning curve and how it plays you are not right about having to be level 40. Once you hit 25-30 with carnage it becomes amazing.

Rage. It''s just that good.

I am seriously going to have to try your spec out. It looks amazing for PvP, but not sure about PvE Leveling as there doesn't seem to be enough healing back like there is in Annihilation.

But yeah, uber Smash and Force Crush + Obliterate look amazing. I will definitely have to try it out.

But, I really need some sort of damage meters for Single Target to see what really shines as that will be my primary focus (especially ST for PvE).

Rage, I don''t know why people discard it just because it''s shared.

It seems to rely more on force abilities than I would like. Using them is fine, but I'd rather not have them be my primary spells. I rolled a Jedi/Sith class for the lightsabers and lightsaber combat.

• 2 weeks later...

Easily placed;

Annihilation - Sustained Damage (Most effective in Raids & long period fights)

Carnage - Burst Damage (Most effective in leveling)

Rage - Damage with Mobility (Most effective in PvP)

Edited by Sizznic

Annihilation got good talents that lets you become a 1 man wreaking machine, hard battle stack bleeds on them with beserk up and watch the tide turn as they take huge damage and you and party heals for a nice amount (3% life healed per tick per bleed FTW).

Easily placed;

Annihilation - Sustained Damage (Most effective in Raids & long period fights)

Carnage - Burst Damage (Most effective in leveling)

Rage - Damage with Mobility (Most effective in PvP)

Not necessarily true, annihilation spec is TERRIBLE for the Soa fight.

I don't do alot of PVE but i can say that the carnage tree is by far superior in a PVP context. We do our damage based on time that our targets are in melee range, and in PVP no on ever stands still (unless they are afk). The carnage tree, if specced right, gives an extra two immobilizing effects (on top of force charge). While true that one of these roots is during ravage (our main damage dealer especially when added with gore), these two extra roots allows your team to take pot shots on your enemies aswell. Of course this is in the context of dealing damage. Carnage has very little extra survivalbility (less aoe damage) compared to the -7 % damage redux of rage and the healling from annihlation.

• 1 month later...

I feel like the big difference between anni and carnage is like comparing a big steel muscle car that is geared for top speed/straightaways and lite carbon fiber rice rocket that is geared for acceleration/handling...

anihilation does a lot of dps, and has self heals that keep you swinging but if you have to change targets after blowing all your dot bleeds you may have a good 10-15 sec of meh dps on your new target..

carnage dps to me seemed about as heavy as annihilation, and a lot more burst oriented. It also felt much more agile, letting me switch targets with ease... but the versitility came at the cost of staying in the fight..

I prefer annihilation in pvp. i win 1v1 the vast majority of the time regardless of opposing class (and there is nothing more satisfying than owning someone 1v1) , and often times i can, in a 2v1 or 3v1 situation, still take out at LEAST one of my opponents. this really helps my team on wz's because on offense i can force the other team to commit more than a token force on the weak side to kill me, and i can hold them them up giving the strong side team a numbers advantage on the objective. On defense, killing healers is a breeze when you can load them up with bleed dots just before force choking when their health is low and watch them just drain to death.

well in my opinion its based on your playstyle for me carnage is quite invaluable and superior to most other and like my previous people have said on soa its alot of moving which means that deadly saber is quite hard to get stacked up but im also in full rakata gear so the carnage hurts like hell but in the next ops instance there might be some room for annihilation but as it is currently id say carnage suits my playstyle better :)

Carnage specc i use:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#1000cZhGbbddrRrsZG.1

Annihilation specc i use:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#100bIbRrRMcGzZhGZM.1