Rome-fu's Resolve Guide

Felnadir

The CC Breaker is on too long a cooldown, and not available to be used "at the right time" in each fight. If it's on cooldown - you're screwed. Even when not on cooldown, you're less screwed in the way you described.

But the CC breaker ability is NOT the solution to the general CC problem. Not with the length of the cooldown it has.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do all stuns contribute the same amount to the bar?

Do all mezz contribute the same amount to the bar?

How much is contributed by each of these?

Will a full resolve (immunity-level) bar prevent knockbacks?

Do knockbacks contribute to the resolve bar?

Firstly, to the OP...awesome post! That Post should be stickied.

But the CC breaker ability is NOT the solution to the general CC problem. Not with the length of the cooldown it has.

This is true. Even with the Resolve system, assuming it's working as intended, which could very well not be the case, the CC breaker cooldown is too long. The cd needs to be reduced to 45s, or maybe even 30s.

Yes, and yes.

I'm not 100% sure how to answer your other questions - hopefully someone else can.

Edited by Lymain

yes they could but you should already have a defensive cd poped prior to the first cc, if your sitation followed his overview its all about the situation and being aware of your surroundings, sometimes you will want to blow your break on the first stun, but usually you will want to use it on the second stun to maximize your immunity.

Yes, and yes.

I'm not 100% sure how to answer your other questions - hopefully someone else can.

I think it's safe to say that anything that builds resolve on the target will be prevented by a full resolve bar.

The remaining big question that needs some research is how much each different class of CC contributes to resolve, and whether all CCs of the same class contribute the same amount or if it's tied to another factor such as duration of the CC effect.

Do all stuns contribute the same amount to the bar?

Do all mezz contribute the same amount to the bar?

How much is contributed by each of these?

All stun fill up 1/2 bar and all mezz fill up 3/4 of the bar, same for Knockback.

Once resolve bar is white the only cc that still can effect is snare and/or the last stun player take.

Bump.

What if your opponent is actually perceptive and DOESN'T use their first cc right away? What then? You can't force them to cc you while your defensive cds are up.

There is no best tactic in pvp, we can theorycraft about what the opponent is going to do to counter the max resolve tactic but there are too many possibility when a human being is playing and not a AI.

Melee vs melee, melee vs range, range vs range and tank/dps/heal roll difference plus different class ability.

What then?

L2P. Know your class and their class.

Great information there. Thanks.

One question though, since I didn't notice any mention of it in your post. Does the resolve bar stay at half forever when one CC is used, or does it deplete slowly?

Stay at half until player death or area change.

All stun fill up 1/2 bar and all mezz fill up 3/4 of the bar, same for Knockback.

Once resolve bar is white the only cc that still can effect is snare and/or the last stun player take.

Not quite true. The Smuggler Scoundrel "sap"-like ability (I think "tranquilize" or so?) and the opening stun ("Knockout") both fill-up the resolve bar all the way to white. So different abilities will fill the resolve bar differently.

Edited by Kardoo

Not quite true. The Smuggler Scoundrel "sap"-like ability (I think "tranquilize" or so?) and the opening stun ("Knockout") both fill-up the resolve bar all the way to white. So different abilities will fill the resolve bar differently.

Absolutely true at the present time. Both scoundrel stuns fill the resolve bar 100% on each use.

I have to point something out, here. Resolve does not always work properly, and on top of that, half a resolve bar will not stop you from sitting in 8+ seconds of CC. I've had my resolve bar full and still sat in full duration CCs, it's a problem.

Furthermore, CC DR's are pretty damn important. Even with resolve, you could be sitting in 12+ seconds of CC before it kicks in, which is a long enough time for my smuggler to take out two of your (apparently unawares) buddies. An easy fix to this would be reducing the cooldown on the CC break to 45 seconds, allowing the resolve function to perform it's intended function and allowing your CC break to work in a similar fashion as DR timers.

I am a complainer of the Resolve and of the sheer amount of CC (all types) available, based 100% on my fear of getting a WOW 2.0 pvp arms race problem. I am going to take everything you have said and test it, because I know as a Jedi Knight Guardian (tank) my frustration is very high. At level 31 (rank 20) I am struggling very much as being anything in pvp as useless. I regularly have the Paladin award (as I should as tank) but feel I am leaving a lot on the table.

So I am willing to test your post because I want it to be right and I want my role in pvp to be more effective. So thank you.

Must be an intermittent bug or one with your specific class/character because I'm never CC'd (besides snares) after my bar goes white on my Juggernaut. As the guide says, the CC that turns it white still takes effect, but nothing after that does.

Its not just me or my class and its not intermittant. There are several of us in my guild seeing the same issue. We have been leveling in warzones and only doing the class quests since about lvl 15. couple of us are now in our 30s. We all see the same issue. resolve bar is ticking down so we are well within the immunity period and then comes the harlem shake. if i knew how id make and post a video. if it clears up or changes in the next couple of weeks/days ill report back to this thread.

The fact that this common sense information is a "sticky" is testament to the inability of the general user base to use their brain. Seriously, this type of stuff is general gaming knowledge. If you can think beyond facerolling your keyboard you already know all of these things.

Secondly, resolve still needs tweaking. This game is heavily CC centric which is surprising for a title that claimed to have solved the "CC Problem" in MMOs.

Edited by getdownsb

Good read.

Most of the tactics are common knowledge, but it did clarify some uncertainties I had with the resolve bar, so thanks for that.

One question though. If I pop "Hold the Line" (which gives me an 8 second immunity to roots, snares, stuns, knockdowns and the kitchen sink) and someone throws CC at me, does my resolve bar fill up? or does it only fill if the CC actually hits?

And now for a raving rant on the CC-QQ:

45s CD on CC breaker? Are you guys nuts? Worst idea ever.

CC is an integral part of ORGANIZED PvP tactics. Yes if you're zerging around a warfront with randoms, CC is a *****, but if you roll as an organized group, proper CC is very important.

A 2min CD is fine. Let's leave it at that. Certain classes played without skill or tactics would definitely benefit from a CC less world, but even they can benefit from good CC, and by gaming the system right.