Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

CURRENT guide for Guardian/Jugg tank

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Guardian / Juggernaut
CURRENT guide for Guardian/Jugg tank

Taerrik's Avatar


Taerrik
04.07.2019 , 07:08 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
Again i don't do guides as i feel learning via experience is both more useful and simply better than trying to copy someone else, but if you have any questions, I will attempt to assist.
As a returning player, who raids in every game he plays, I 100% agree with learning via experience, but there needs to be some common starting point. Nearly every group I join to try to do stuff just says go read a guide first.

@OP

There are useful 'outdated' guides on google. Just because the numbers are different in 258 vs 230 doesn't make the reasoning for priority different.

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
04.08.2019 , 12:13 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Taerrik View Post
As a returning player, who raids in every game he plays, I 100% agree with learning via experience, but there needs to be some common starting point. Nearly every group I join to try to do stuff just says go read a guide first.
If someone asks general questions I'll happily answer them. As much ridicule as I've faced from this forum, however, I'm not going to devote my limited off time to guide writing just to get told I'm not good enough to write a beginning tanking guide since I'm not a NiM brontes raider or top 3 ranked PvPer.

You want me to hold your hand through your first raid in game, I'll do that too if the time works out. I have a guardian tank on all 3 english servers.

I just don't write guides 99% of them involve information that could be garnered from tooltips, and most of the rest is heavily playstyle and preference based.

FynneKebabz's Avatar


FynneKebabz
04.15.2019 , 07:33 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
If someone asks general questions I'll happily answer them. As much ridicule as I've faced from this forum, however, I'm not going to devote my limited off time to guide writing just to get told I'm not good enough to write a beginning tanking guide since I'm not a NiM brontes raider or top 3 ranked PvPer.

You want me to hold your hand through your first raid in game, I'll do that too if the time works out. I have a guardian tank on all 3 english servers.

I just don't write guides 99% of them involve information that could be garnered from tooltips, and most of the rest is heavily playstyle and preference based.
Not sure why no one is asking questions since you're so kindly offering answers — I'll be the first to ask a couple of general questions then!

1) I can understand that certain boss fights benefit much more from certain niche utilities — what are two generally good utility point setups for 1) flashpoints and 2) story content?

2) What is the general single target and AoE opener and rotation (or priority)?

I play an Immortal Juggernaut; also a returning player.

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
04.15.2019 , 01:59 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by FynneKebabz View Post
Not sure why no one is asking questions since you're so kindly offering answers — I'll be the first to ask a couple of general questions then!

1) I can understand that certain boss fights benefit much more from certain niche utilities — what are two generally good utility point setups for 1) flashpoints and 2) story content?
The one utility I would call absolutely mandatory is longer/high threat reflect. As far as my setup for PvE:
Tier 1: I go for cc break heal, higher damage on cyclone slash, and aoe focus generation. None are particularly mandatory, and especially in non-aoe fights, swap the cyclone slash damage for something else (notable mention to the leap cd reduction and/or combat focus movement buff)

Tier 2: I go for aoe taunt absorption (my buddy and I checked, the bug was fixed as of a while ago, anyway), force stasis cd reduction, and leap resets interrupt. Again none are terribly mandatory

Tier 3: I only bother with the focused defense CD reduction, honorable mention to enure self cleanse however, as i do take it on certain fights where it can be useful.

Tier 4 is the mandatory reflect improvements. Honorable mention to guardian leap improvements, wasting a point on freezing force dot isnt worth it since the nerf.

Quote:
2) What is the general single target and AoE opener and rotation (or priority)?

I play an Immortal Juggernaut; also a returning player.

For aoe it's rather simple, if dependent on the status of the buff from warding call. If this buff is up, leap/combat focus and guardian slash --> force sweep --> cyclone slash --> warding strike when low on focus OR the buff is about to fall off. Taunting (and reflect, which with the utility is high threat on everything) as necessary.

Without the buff, you need to use the first warding strike within a taunt window: leap --> sweep --> cyclone slash once or twice --> aoe taunt --> warding strike --> guardian slash. Again reflect with utility is a huge benefit here.

Single target: leap + combat focus --> guardian slash + riposte --> hilt bash --> blade storm --> sweep --> taunt --> warding strike --> whatever master strike is now (blade barrage?) --> guardian slash + riposte --> blade storm --> aoe taunt

Note that saber throw should only be used to open when you want the boss to move to you. Leap OR throw, not both.

My general order of priority is:
Riposte
Guardian slash
Hilt bash
Blade storm
Force sweep
Dispatch (as avaliable)
Master strike (again, blade barrage?)
Throw
Slash
Stasis
Push
Strike

Riposte and blade storm give you important buffs you should try to keep up as much as possible, and sweep debuffs the boss (but it's a very long debuff, very easy to keep up). Warding strike, as mentioned, turns guardian slash into an aoe.

Hope this helps and I'm sure someone will be along to point out whatever I've forgotten in this off the top of my head analysis.

Sephira's Avatar


Sephira
04.26.2019 , 06:54 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
For pvp, you can drop the shield/absorb for crit/alacrity. I recommend doing this if you are tanking in a solo queue situation. I usually run my tank gear but I also bring my healer (frankly, if I don't have my healer, I'm just going to run dps and actually kill things).
For PvP, when you replace shield/absorb-enhancements with crit/alacrity, what do you aim for each numberwise;
and would it be a good idea to also use crit/alacrity-augments for a PvP-Setup for a tank-Jugg?
And how about mastery-augmentations?
Server - Tulak Hord / Vanjervalis Chain -- Kuolun-Legacy
Imperial Intelligence Brigade - - Sephira-Wrecker-Exit'us-Yumy-Vul-Nura'ra-Jue-Yiek
Republic Defense Division - - Equanimity-Otho-Aequanimitas
Fûture Crew - - Captain Fûture

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
04.27.2019 , 09:24 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Sephira View Post
For PvP, when you replace shield/absorb-enhancements with crit/alacrity, what do you aim for each numberwise;
and would it be a good idea to also use crit/alacrity-augments for a PvP-Setup for a tank-Jugg?
And how about mastery-augmentations?
I go alacrity to the 703ish cutoff and then rest into crit for my pvp set. Crit/alac augments are perfectly viable - as I said alac to 703, then if you manage to get crit to 1800 or so drop it for mastery. Note that, because I generally queue with a healer buddy when I'm tanking, I normally gear with endurance augments (I'm also too lazy and cheap to go for the 236 augments in my pvp skank set). The advice given here is assuming you are solo queueing, and might need to actually be able to kill something.

Sephira's Avatar


Sephira
05.03.2019 , 01:20 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
I go alacrity to the 703ish cutoff and then rest into crit for my pvp set. Crit/alac augments are perfectly viable - as I said alac to 703, then if you manage to get crit to 1800 or so drop it for mastery. Note that, because I generally queue with a healer buddy when I'm tanking, I normally gear with endurance augments (I'm also too lazy and cheap to go for the 236 augments in my pvp skank set). The advice given here is assuming you are solo queueing, and might need to actually be able to kill something.
I am about to try it out and in the near future I will tell how it works.
Thx for all the hints KendraP, I appreciate it.
Server - Tulak Hord / Vanjervalis Chain -- Kuolun-Legacy
Imperial Intelligence Brigade - - Sephira-Wrecker-Exit'us-Yumy-Vul-Nura'ra-Jue-Yiek
Republic Defense Division - - Equanimity-Otho-Aequanimitas
Fûture Crew - - Captain Fûture

Chasaskan's Avatar


Chasaskan
Today , 12:15 AM | #18
Thanks for the replies guys.

If I have any more questions, I'll make sure to ask here.